Sierra Calhoun to Duke | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
per Bret McCormick and others.

Interesting. This never felt like the sure thing some thought it was and I say that from both directions.

Reaction Score
Good luck Sierra!

I'm not terribly surprised; it seemed like the longer it took for her to commit, the less likely it seemed that she would end up at UConn. I'm glad she took her time and found the school and program that are right for her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm surprised it was Duke as I thought it might be ND. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, both UConn Coaches and Sierra started to question if UConn was the right fit for her and apparently it was not. Good Luck to Sierra. Duke continues to load up on talent and have a deep roster. Wonder how they'll manage the minutes.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm surprised it was Duke as I thought it might be ND. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, both UConn Coaches and Sierra started to question if UConn was the right fit for her and apparently it was not. Good Luck to Sierra. Duke continues to load up on talent and have a deep roster. Wonder how they'll manage the minutes.

Managing the minutes will be very interesting, especially in the post!

Let the season start already

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I'm curious, how do you know "the UConn coaches and Sierra questioned if UConn was the right fit?" I'm not doubting you on that point -- I've been feeling that way too -- but what's the support for your statement if you can share?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Huge get for Duke and congrats to them if true.

No sugar-coating this one, IMO - a real disappointment as I had really wanted to see her in a UCONN uni and continue the CTK connection as well. She may not be a game-changer but she is the real deal with a *very* strong overall game.

As with the recent "bunny ears" threads, we would be best served to wait for the final word from the Calhoun camp, but in the interim I can't help but reflect on how some felt this was yet another 'lock' for the Huskies, that now appears to have gone another way. And so yet another reason to just wait and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to recruiting, instead of making all these bold predictions well ahead of their time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Huge get for Duke and congrats to them if true.

No sugar-coating this one, IMO - a real disappointment as I had really wanted to see her in a UCONN uni and continue the CTK connection as well. She may not be a game-changer but she is the real deal with a *very* strong overall game.

As with the recent "bunny ears" threads, we would be best served to wait for the final word from the Calhoun camp, but in the interim I can't help but reflect on how some felt this was yet another 'lock' for the Huskies, that now appears to have gone another way. And so yet another reason to just wait and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to recruiting, instead of making all these bold predictions well ahead of their time.

Perhaps. I do think we need to separate our (BY posters') disappointment from the coaches' disappointment. Maybe Geno and the coaches are hugely disappointed and consider this a big loss, and maybe not. I'm not sure where this one falls, but it did not seem to me that the coaches considered Sierra a priority at least during the recently concluded viewing period. If she and her family believe Duke made her feel that way, then she made the right choice. I think it's best to wait and see what happens during the next few months to judge how big of a loss this is.

Reaction Score
No problem with Sierra getting playing time. After this season, Duke currently has 12 players already in school or committed for 2014. Only 3 of those 12 (including Calhoun) are wing players, assuming Jones will play point guard exclusively after Gray leaves and that Holland is primarily a point.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I got the word this morning from a very reliable source. Shes going to Duke. From what I was told it was UConn Duke and ND. Duke and ND were pushing really hard for her.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Duke is my 2nd favorite WBB team so I am really ok with this!

Calhoun took her time and made the commitment she wanted.

The cupboard is by no means bare! Lets wish her luck and dig our heels in and wait for our next Uconn recruit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great pickup for them. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, and on this one, not overly disappointed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm just interested in seeing her play regardless of what uniform she's wearing.

Her play in recent July AAU events produced the following disparate observations:

Simmie Colson GPR@girlzprepreport 23 Jul
I've watched Asia Durr and Sierra Calhoun both days and I wanna see them again #TipSheetLock #Bayou13 pic.twitter.com/FYiSSDlaPS

Global Hoops@GlobalHoops1 24 July
Omar Calhoun sister plays for the Gauchos too but honestly the hype, I'm not really seeing it.

Global Hoops@GlobalHoops1 31m
Omar Calhoun sister Sierra is going to Duke. Saw the NY Gauchos at #Bayou2013 she reminds me of Richa Jackson from Duke. Not sure if elite.

Good luck to her at Duke and I hope she has a successful senior year at CTK.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I mean, the academics are beyond reproach, and the Triangle is a great location, even if Durham is my least favorite place between itself, Chapel Hill, or Raleigh. I have yet to see much evidence that Coach P maximizes individual player development or team results, but at least they're competitive year in and year out. Still no Final Fours since 2006, but racking up Elite 8s FWIW.

From Xylina McDaniel on, UConn has had some misses in recruiting. I realize there have been four sound commitments since X-girl, and getting A'Ja sure would alleviate any and all concerns.

Reaction Score
Great pickup for them. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, and on this one, not overly disappointed.
Agree. What UConn needs more than anything (after getting a verbal from 3 very very good players) is some size and Calhoun would have not provided it. She probably saw the possible logjam in the 2-3 positions and figured that at Duke she'll have chance for more playing time.

Reaction Score
Looking at the Boneyard recruiting list.... Both Sierra and Lexie are committed to other schools. So of course we want A'ja. I do not think there is anyone who would say no to her. But who else do we want to recruit? Lynne, Taylor, and Kathryn I do not believe are committed yet. I have heard a lot of wonderful things about both Lynne and Kathryn.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I agree that if it has taken this long, it wouldn't be UConn. Good luck to her. As for Husky misses, the team doesn't often miss on the mega game changers that deliver championships. This includes Maya, DT3, and Breanna. Have not been that many others over the past 20 years e.g. Parker, Catchings and Griner (this doesn't even include EDD). So I am not too worried. That said, sooner or later, we're going to need some height.

Reaction Score
Didn't think she would be coming our way, particularly after we signed 3 gals her same size in same class.....

Good luck Sierra! I hope you do well in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01