Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello All!
Uconn has had an eye on Sierra since she was a freshman in High School. I honestly thought she would have committed by now, but I respect her taking her time. Her parents, in particular her father has mentioned that they did not want to rush things. I also like our chances and many of you mentioned all the reasons why is she could end up being a huskie. As we all know with Diamond Deshields, you never know.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I hope Sierra comes to UConn as well. But kids that age don't necessarily rely on logic alone for their decisions, as Nan has posted more than once. During her college search my daughter visited Smith College. She liked it and applied there. I couldn't get her to even visit Mount Holyoke which is pretty close the Smith, also all-female and has an academic reputation that's at least in the same range as Smith. Logic would seem to dictate that she would check out similar schools, but no. She could never even verbalize why she wouldn't visit. Just shrugged and said she didn't want to visit.

Who knows?

Reaction Score
She narrowed her list to four, and UConn is on it. She states one of the criteria that will factor heavily in her decision is the the opportunity to win a national championship. With all due respect to Tennessee, ND, and Duke, UConn has won three since Tennessee's last NC, six since ND's, and Duke hasn't won one nor even been to a Final Four since 2006.
Um, all of that logic you just used there ... it goes against Wbbfan's obvious attempt to be a contrarian.

Reaction Score
First off, a tip of the cap to ALEX. Terrific post.

I can think of only one reason why she would not pick UCONN out of that list. That would be that her brother has told her that UCONN is not the place......and I've neither seen nor heard anything to substantiate that outside possibility. In addition, I recollect that Pop has said that he hope she'll end up here with her brother. Am I right on that? If so, pretty powerful.

I'll close with another question: seems that she is a player of the calibre that UCONN would want, but does anybody know what kind of a kid she is? Is she UCONN material from a character point of view? I have NO pro or con info on this. Obviously, the coaching staff thinks she is made of the right stuff, as they've offered her. What is known about what type of kid she is?
Well, UConn has offered other girls in the past who proved not to be the right fit. It happens. One thing that is unsettling is that she has both Tennessee and Duke in the mix and it seems to me that those schools have for a long time had a load of talent that never came close to achieving what their talent level suggested they would. Underachievers!!!! Notre Dame has seemed to do well, even when their talent level wasn't the best and of course, we know what UConn has done in the past with lesser talent. That lesser talent hasn't happened for a while because we've gotten quite a bit of talent over the last twenty years or so when we finally got on the national stage. I'm starting to think that maybe Sierra would rather be a major player on a team that achieves less rather than a contributor to a bigger puzzle. This is speculation on my part but it would seem that every factor suggests she should have already made a decision to commit to UConn with proximity, her brother being a Huskie, her Dad wanting his two kids both playing in Storrs and the quality of the kids on our roster, both skill wise and personality wise. Yet she hasn't done so!!!!!!!!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Did her brother take all official visits? If he did maybe he is encouraging her to take advantage of the opportunity of being a high profile recruit. Maybe her parents want her to take her officials just to be sure UConn is where she wants to go. It kind of reminds me of Chiney Ogwumike's recruiting. Didn't she take her officials and visited UConn even though everyone pretty much decided she was going to Stanford. Maybe she is just making sure UConn is for her. Or maybe she really just isn't 100% sure of which one of the four she will fit best at.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I hope Sierra comes to UConn as well. But kids that age don't necessarily rely on logic alone for their decisions, as Nan has posted more than once. During her college search my daughter visited Smith College. She liked it and applied there. I couldn't get her to even visit Mount Holyoke which is pretty close the Smith, also all-female and has an academic reputation that's at least in the same range as Smith. Logic would seem to dictate that she would check out similar schools, but no. She could never even verbalize why she wouldn't visit. Just shrugged and said she didn't want to visit.

Who knows?
When my grandmother went to Mt. Holyoke there was a rule that all "gentleman visitors" to the dorms had to "keep their feet on the floor." Perhaps that rule is still in effect and that the word about it has gotten out to the high school crowd.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, UConn has offered other girls in the past who proved not to be the right fit. It happens. One thing that is unsettling is that she has both Tennessee and Duke in the mix and it seems to me that those schools have for a long time had a load of talent that never came close to achieving what their talent level suggested they would. Underachievers!!!! Notre Dame has seemed to do well, even when their talent level wasn't the best and of course, we know what UConn has done in the past with lesser talent. That lesser talent hasn't happened for a while because we've gotten quite a bit of talent over the last twenty years or so when we finally got on the national stage. I'm starting to think that maybe Sierra would rather be a major player on a team that achieves less rather than a contributor to a bigger puzzle. This is speculation on my part but it would seem that every factor suggests she should have already made a decision to commit to UConn with proximity, her brother being a Huskie, her Dad wanting his two kids both playing in Storrs and the quality of the kids on our roster, both skill wise and personality wise. Yet she hasn't done so!!!!!!!!

Buzz, and all y'all feeling a bit impatient or stressed. Relax, please. We're talking about a high school junior. She has enormous ability and potential, and, this is probably the biggest decision she's had to face in her life thus far. Personally, I don't begrudge her a bit, in taking however much time she needs to make the best choice she can. I've had two daughters, and I've coached high school girls (softball) for many years. Others can analyze this demographic better than I, but I can tell you this: often, there is a greater fear of disappointing others, or making the "wrong move" than there is satisfaction in "doing the right thing". Sometimes, they can feel almost paralyzed by it: and, a girl like this has a LOT more people in her ear, and media attention, than a typical high-school junior trying to winnow down their college field.

Some kids will take the "get this over with" route, and make a quick decision - it may be because they really know what they want, or it may be because they're sick and tired of the circus, and are desperate to make it quiet down.

Some kids will take the "slow and careful" route, and make a long, considered decision - it may be because they really want to be as sure as possilbe, or it may be because they enjoy the circus.

Not only do you and I not know how they're processing this, but, even their best friend, parents, and coaches can't be completely sure: even the kid herself may not fully understand all the forces/thoughts/impulses warring in her head.

So, she doesn't owe us a quick decision - nor, anybody else, for that matter. She only owes it to herself to make the best decision she can on her own timetable. Speculating on her motivations is foolish, in the extreme. Doesn't change her process one iota, and only raises your own stress level.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Remember the angst on here when Stewie went and visited Syracuse or when EDD decided to consider Villanova? In some ways it's the nature of the beast when a fan base thinks they lead for a really good player, and the kid continues to look hard at other schools. I don't blame Sierra - I'd be doing the same thing. I honestly think the team besides UCONN with the best chance at a NC over the next 5 years is ND. Many of us thought, like last year, that the talent gap vs. UCONN was too great and yet they shocked us 3 times in a row. Muffet has not only proven she can recruit at the highest level, but also get the kids to play really good team basketball.

For all the joy orange fans feel at landing Russell (and they should feel great about it), she's not even close to the same level as Stewie. Nor do they have a guard as good as Jefferson. They are solid but not in the same league as UCONN. As for Duke, I think talent wise they are the 2nd best team this year. They have a great core and McCallie continues to recruit gangbusters. I'm not yet convinced they can put together 2 complete halves to win a NC...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that UConn may have a similar situation to Taya Reimer who was UConn's dream school, Geno told her to wait on her commitment and she found ND more appealing when it was all said and done. Obviously UConn has won recent National Championships and poised to win a couple of more over the next two or three years which would meet some of Sierra's requirements. Her brother being at UConn for two of her years could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on Sierra's point of view. Her family probably prefers she be at UConn with her brother, but is that what Sierra wants. You can bet ND & Tenn are saying come to our school, start right away and you will be the player that gets us a National Championship. Go to UConn and who knows when you will start as their roster is so deep with talent. Duke has a deep roster, so I'm sure they are stressing the Duke education and what a degree from Duke would get her and she would get Duke their first National Championship. All Schools are using the weak conference that UConn is in versus the SEC and ACC in an effort to sway her from UConn.

Obviously if she decides to attend UConn, her family could attend all home games and watch the rest of them on SNY which is probably available to them since they live in NY. That's a big advantage for UConn.

For a couple of years now, what I've read and heard, Sierra was a strong lean and almost a silent verbal to UConn. IMHO the longer she takes; which she should take as long as she needs; the more the chance Sierra decides to go elsewhere. Sierra is a tremendous talent and I hope she decides UConn is the place for her.

Um, all of that logic you just used there ... it goes against Wbbfan's obvious attempt to be a contrarian.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
come on with that nonsense....

DC -

We both love Venus and Serena (at least I think you like them both)....so I think of it this way: If Sierra C. were more like Venus, she probably would have already verballed to UCONN. If she's more like Serena, she might feel like taking her sweet time just b/c of everybody else's expectations, to show who's really running the show. She might even feel like bein' a bit contrary and look at some other schools very seriously.....really hard to say IMO. We just have to keep the faith

Reaction Score
When my grandmother went to Mt. Holyoke there was a rule that all "gentleman visitors" to the dorms had to "keep their feet on the floor." Perhaps that rule is still in effect and that the word about it has gotten out to the high school crowd.

DOBBS: looks like grandma got her feet off the floor somewhere along the line. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Buzz, and all y'all feeling a bit impatient or stressed. Relax, please. We're talking about a high school junior. She has enormous ability and potential, and, this is probably the biggest decision she's had to face in her life thus far. Personally, I don't begrudge her a bit, in taking however much time she needs to make the best choice she can. I've had two daughters, and I've coached high school girls (softball) for many years. Others can analyze this demographic better than I, but I can tell you this: often, there is a greater fear of disappointing others, or making the "wrong move" than there is satisfaction in "doing the right thing". Sometimes, they can feel almost paralyzed by it: and, a girl like this has a LOT more people in her ear, and media attention, than a typical high-school junior trying to winnow down their college field.

Some kids will take the "get this over with" route, and make a quick decision - it may be because they really know what they want, or it may be because they're sick and tired of the circus, and are desperate to make it quiet down.

Some kids will take the "slow and careful" route, and make a long, considered decision - it may be because they really want to be as sure as possilbe, or it may be because they enjoy the circus.

Not only do you and I not know how they're processing this, but, even their best friend, parents, and coaches can't be completely sure: even the kid herself may not fully understand all the forces/thoughts/impulses warring in her head.

PINO: very well said from top to bottom. Very.

So, she doesn't owe us a quick decision - nor, anybody else, for that matter. She only owes it to herself to make the best decision she can on her own timetable. Speculating on her motivations is foolish, in the extreme. Doesn't change her process one iota, and only raises your own stress level.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Lets look at it this way. UConn has 9 scholarship players on their roster so she will see play time at UConn. Duke ND and Tenn have commits who play Sierras position, g/w. May not be any room at any of the other schools. Plus's for UConn. Its driving distance for her parents, her brother is here, every game is telelvised and UConn has a short roster so she will play and most likely play in a couple of NCs

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
DOBBS: looks like grandma got her feet off the floor somewhere along the line. :rolleyes:
Actually, it was just the guys who had to keep their feet on the floor, but I don't think Mt. Holyoke in 1912 was really known much as a party school.

And on the thread subject, definitely have to go with the wise notion that Fishy knows best. And where else but UConn would someone named Calhoun want to end up?

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that UConn may have a similar situation to Taya Reimer who was UConn's dream school, Geno told her to wait on her commitment and she found ND more appealing when it was all said and done. Obviously UConn has won recent National Championships and poised to win a couple of more over the next two or three years which would meet some of Sierra's requirements. Her brother being at UConn for two of her years could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on Sierra's point of view. Her family probably prefers she be at UConn with her brother, but is that what Sierra wants. You can bet ND & Tenn are saying come to our school, start right away and you will be the player that gets us a National Championship. Go to UConn and who knows when you will start as their roster is so deep with talent. Duke has a deep roster, so I'm sure they are stressing the Duke education and what a degree from Duke would get her and she would get Duke their first National Championship. All Schools are using the weak conference that UConn is in versus the SEC and ACC in an effort to sway her from UConn.

Obviously if she decides to attend UConn, her family could attend all home games and watch the rest of them on SNY which is probably available to them since they live in NY. That's a big advantage for UConn.

For a couple of years now, what I've read and heard, Sierra was a strong lean and almost a silent verbal to UConn. IMHO the longer she takes; which she should take as long as she needs; the more the chance Sierra decides to go elsewhere. Sierra is a tremendous talent and I hope she decides UConn is the place for her.

I'll take that bet. That statement isn't true for ND. No way MM says that. Plus she has a player by the name of Loyd that I think by the time Sierra would arrive would be the one taking them to a F4.

Reaction Score
The article in the OP was total pap. The writer was just mailing it in; he/she could've written it in his sleep.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lets look at it this way. UConn has 9 scholarship players on their roster so she will see play time at UConn.
In 2014-15 they will have 11 with Calhoun. (assuming the verbals become written commitments)
KML Banks Stokes
Tuck Stewart Jefferson
Chong
Ekmark Williams Edwards Calhoun (and maybe/hopefully Wilson Westbeld)

13 total - perfect. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, it was just the guys who had to keep their feet on the floor, but I don't think Mt. Holyoke in 1912 was really known much as a party school.
I've done some things with my feet on the floor......well we'll leave it at that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is never a good thing to rush a commitment. If Sierra is meant to end up at UConn with her brother she will. Why is it wrong for a high school kid to look at all her options, she is only a junior in high school!! Did you narrow your list of colleges to 4 at this point of your junior year??
Well, I had. It was UConn.

Reaction Score
In 2014-15 they will have 11 with Calhoun. (assuming the verbals become written commitments)
KML Banks Stokes
Tuck Stewart Jefferson
Chong
Ekmark Williams Edwards Calhoun (and maybe/hopefully Wilson Westbeld)

13 total - perfect. :)
I'd say the Class of '14 Bus is warming up. Anybody who wants to get on should get aboard now, before Geno shuts the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom