Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tennessee has had a number of issues recently. One is that, even though they've recruited a lot of high school AAs, they haven't had a real game changer since Candace Parker. Could some of the kids they've gotten blossomed into that kind of player elsewhere? Tough to say, but they certainly haven't at Tennessee. Russell is a legit #1 national kid. I'm not sure she's a superstar, but she is going to be a fine player. She and Graves in particular will make a strong foundation to build on. Another issue was of course the turmoil of Pat's last four years. Moving on from that period can only help.
Another thing I have noticed or it seems anyway. Is that there are good classes and not so good classes, deep classes, and not so deep classes. UCONN seems to get good classes in the good years, while TN seems to stock up in the not so good years. Such that UCONN's #1 player is better than TN #1 player from different years and so forth down the line. 2012 and 2014 from what I have read/heard are pretty deep classes, 2013 eh good but not as deep as the others.

Just a thought.

Reaction Score
she may end up at Tenn
Why do you believe that? I would think that out of the four teams, Tennessee is the least likely that she will end up at. If its not UCONN I think it will be Notre Dame.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Christ the King... almost forgot Holdsclaw started a pipeline in that direction and UConn's has been plugged up

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
When my grandmother went to Mt. Holyoke there was a rule that all "gentleman visitors" to the dorms had to "keep their feet on the floor." Perhaps that rule is still in effect and that the word about it has gotten out to the high school crowd.

I can confirm that the rules wasn't enforced in the 70's

And I visited Smith for the first time ever a couple weeks ago, but I was in the old gym (now archives), not the dorms.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Great to get her, if we do...another wing....Who is going to be our center after SD graduates?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Great to get her, if we do...another wing....Who is going to be our center after SD graduates?
I'm hoping they can get a 6'3" post with long arms, great shot blocking and rebounding ability and nice post moves with either hand.

I hear there is a player from Iowa that fits the bill.

Reaction Score
A list I think Tenn or UConn would be best bet to win a title.

Really? Did you post the same on the Duke and ND board's replacing the Huskies with the Blue Devils and Irish? You know you are desperate for friends when you're kissing up to what use to be your chief rival and the team that is about to overtake yours as the ALL-TIME WINNINGEST WCB TEAM in history. Sorry, no sympathy or mercy here...the Huskies are going to win #9 in your back yard...hope you are there to see it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Christ the King... almost forgot Holdsclaw started a pipeline in that direction and UConn's has been plugged up

What pipeline? How many CTK players have chosen Tenn since Holdsclaw? I know of 3 CTK players who chose UConn since Holdsclaw but I've forgotten the other players who formed the pipeline to Tenn.

I also don't understand the "plugged up" comment. I think Bria Smith is the only CTK player UConn has seriously looked at since Tina Lorin Dixon and UConn chose not to extend an offer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee is going to be very competitive next year and I think it remains to be seen how much of a difference the loss of Faris and Doty will have on UCONN. Their influence on the team was much more than just their stats.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee is going to be very competitive next year and I think it remains to be seen how much of a difference the loss of Faris and Doty will have on UCONN. Their influence on the team was much more than just their stats.

Good, yes…good, maybe top-10.
But in UConn's class?
No way.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But in UConn's class?
No way.

Never underestimate your opponent. If you feel certain that UT cannot compete you are thinking along the same lines of almost every person who thought Louisville had no chance of competing with Baylor. UT is going to have lots of talent and Warlick will have a second year to mold her team.

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee is going to be very competitive next year...

No doubt Tenn will be competitive next year...they were competitive this year. And considering the effects of the net players they are gaining, will getting bigger and better. However, at the end of the day, the Lady Vols simply do not have what it takes to win it all next year starting with 1) mental toughness, 2) Final Four experience and 3) the ability to play elite level defense.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But in UConn's class?
No way.

UT will likely be ranked 2 or 3 most of the year. It will be UCONN, Duke and UT most of the season I would guess.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No doubt Tenn will be competitive next year...they were competitive this year. And considering the effects of the net players they are gaining, will getting bigger and better. However, at the end of the day, the Lady Vols simply do not have what it takes to win it all next year starting with 1) mental toughness, 2) Final Four experience and 3) the ability to play elite level defense.
I'm thinking elite level offense might be more of a liability for them.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking elite level offense might be more of a liability for them.

Come on meyers7, aren't you forgetting they have the most fabulous, speediest, quick shot offensive artist of all-time, Meighan Simmons? I'm not sure if that is a net positive or negative to the Lady Vols. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Russell and Graves are going to be quite a tandem in the paint. Those are two very highly ranked players that may work very well together. UT is perched to become a major force again in WCBB. If recruits see that happening they may want to be part of that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Russell and Graves are going to be quite a tandem in the paint. Those are two very highly ranked players that may work very well together. UT is perched to become a major force again in WCBB. If recruits see that happening they may want to be part of that.
Well personally, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well personally, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

They are on the list of a lot of highly ranked recruits. And if UCONN doesn't land a big to replace Dolson UT will have a big advantage in the paint.

Reaction Score
They are on the list of a lot of highly ranked recruits. And if UCONN doesn't land a big to replace Dolson UT will have a big advantage in the paint.

"IF" this and "IF" that easttexastrash. The bottom line is at the end of the day Tenn cannot overcome the advantage UConn has in the coaching and player development department. And once again, winning championships is all about playing elite level defense. Not included in this definition is allowing your opponent to score 82 points on you in the Regional Championship game. Oh, and be sure to give my regards and condolences when you see her to the "best PG in the nation, who has only made one FF in three years while playing with one of the most dominant players of all-time" .

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They will have Stokes for a year after Dolson. And a bigger and stronger Stewart can man the post along with Tuck.

I really don't think Tennessee will have a big advantage anywhere anytime soon. And fans can underestimate opponents all they want as long as the team doesn't.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Never underestimate your opponent. If you feel certain that UT cannot compete you are thinking along the same lines of almost every person who thought Louisville had no chance of competing with Baylor. UT is going to have lots of talent and Warlick will have a second year to mold her team.
I don't think any of us plays for or coaches for Uconn. If we underestimate, we're probably ok.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So is UCONN. Still not gonna hold my breath waiting for "The South to rise again." ;)

Reaction Score
I hope Sierra comes to UConn as well. But kids that age don't necessarily rely on logic alone for their decisions, as Nan has posted more than once. During her college search my daughter visited Smith College. She liked it and applied there. I couldn't get her to even visit Mount Holyoke which is pretty close the Smith, also all-female and has an academic reputation that's at least in the same range as Smith. Logic would seem to dictate that she would check out similar schools, but no. She could never even verbalize why she wouldn't visit. Just shrugged and said she didn't want to visit.

Who knows?
She made the right call. Having taken classes at both, Smith is several notches more rigorous than MoHo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom