Should we play Tennessee, or not? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Should we play Tennessee, or not?

Do you want to us to play Tenn play in a regular season game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I could picture the WBB staff, UT Admin, and even the SEC bowing to Pat's Celeb---I doubt that anyone now does not think Pat was in the early/mid stages of dementia with the type and kind of charges brought forth. What boggles my mind is why the SEC or UT admin couldn't see the childishness and pettiness and with the volumes of pages (thank you Meyers7) that only showed how great Uconn was---without violations.

The UT Admin didn't want to cancel the game. But as I mentioned before, PHS insisted on the ending of the series right after they won the championship. That's a big deal and gives the head coach plenty of clout, or "hand" in Seinfield terms. I'm sure they tried to get her to change her mind, but her bitterness ran too deep. I'm sure she wanted to end it sooner but she didn't have hand. As soon as she got it, she used it to end the UConn game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That isn't what I was saying. When PHS's illness began to affect her, I believe she made some questionable decisions as a result. Someone in the Athletic Dept should have said, "This isn't like Pat" and advised her to reconsider. In no way do I believe this was a deliberate attempt to hurt UConn or Geno; I think it was the early onset of the Alzheimer's that caused the problems.

I'm not sure. After the three Meeks lost in 1999 after winning Pat three titles in the previous three years, she lit into them like I never heard before. Saying stuff like she was never so disappointed in her life. Any coach with an ounce of class would have been much more human. thanking the Meeks for four great years and three titles. Are you saying she was afflicted in 1999? Because if not, how was the AD supposed to determine what decisions she made were questionable. The first thought had to be, "That's Pat being Pat."

Reaction Score
It is not about the players anymore regular season NO.Tournament no choice!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not sure. After the three Meeks lost in 1999 after winning Pat three titles in the previous three years, she lit into them like I never heard before. Saying stuff like she was never so disappointed in her life. Any coach with an ounce of class would have been much more human. thanking the Meeks for four great years and three titles. Are you saying she was afflicted in 1999? Because if not, how was the AD supposed to determine what decisions she made were questionable. The first thought had to be, "That's Pat being Pat."
I'm not a fan of taking a sentence out of context. We don't know what PHS's relationship was with the players, what was said before, and what was said after. So, I make no judgement as to the above quote. Put it this way - do you want someone making judgement calls about Geno's character after his rant towards the Daily Campus reporter, Amanda Allnutt? We UConn fans know that Geno did apologize but without that context, even UConn fans would think he is a jerk.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score

Were you in the locker room after that loss? Just wondering. I wasn't so I have no idea what exactly was said but all I remember from that loss was Chamique sobbing while walking off the court and Pat coming to her and hugging her and letting her rest her head while still sobbing while the game finished. It is one of the most poignant moments in sports that I've ever been able to witness.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Were you in the locker room after that loss? Just wondering. I wasn't so I have no idea what exactly was said but all I remember from that loss was Chamique sobbing while walking off the court and Pat coming to her and hugging her and letting her rest her head while still sobbing while the game finished. It is one of the most poignant moments in sports that I've ever been able to witness.

I was at that game..... of course I was cheering for Duke, but it was definitely one of the most poignant sports moments that I can remember.

Reaction Score
Alzheimer/Dementia comes on, in many cases not all at once, slowly and those with the disease do unusual things, exaggerate personal traits, so it is possible Pat made charges and UT or SEC had no clues---but if they were not afflicted with the disease one would think they would have seen those charges for what they were.
This is my last posting on this subject---enough is plainly enough on a subject that the Boneyard will never resolve, nor will ESPN, those who want to hear will hear those that play deaf shall continue, as in national politics and world relationships--lots of words and everything remains the same. History of the World, at least since North America was settled, has shown just that. Talk and no positive actions.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I don't think we will see a regular season matchup anytime soon, but I don't have any animosity towards UCONN or Geno. The NCAA investigated and didn't find any major NCAA violations. That's good enough for me and kudos to UCONN for the tremendous amount of success they have had since the Maya Moore years..I say in the coming years we will see quite a few UCONN-Tennessee tournament matchups..

Reaction Score
I made the wrong choice. I can't change it from "yes" to "no".

Pat Summit clearly was falling behind and took it out on UConn. Boy, did that backfire.

Yes it did!

Reaction Score
That isn't what I was saying. When PHS's illness began to affect her, I believe she made some questionable decisions as a result. Someone in the Athletic Dept should have said, "This isn't like Pat" and advised her to reconsider. In no way do I believe this was a deliberate attempt to hurt UConn or Geno; I think it was the early onset of the Alzheimer's that caused the problems.

I know some other UConn fans feel differently about that last sentence, but our family is living through the early onset of Alzheimer's in a relative and I've seen this up close. One simple outburst of paranoia - which seems to come and go in various degrees - has dramatically affected family dynamics and caused a lot of upheaval. I can only imagine the effect a similar outburst of paranoia would have from a powerful individual like PHS. Having whackadoos and sycophants feed into the paranoia is the absolute worst thing that could have happened.

Husky Nan, welcome to the club that no one wants a membership to....my thoughts are with you. One thing I learned early on from a health care worker: he/she is still the same person they USED to be, Hold on to the good thoughts.

Reaction Score
Alzheimer/Dementia comes on, in many cases not all at once, slowly and those with the disease do unusual things, exaggerate personal traits, so it is possible Pat made charges and UT or SEC had no clues---but if they were not afflicted with the disease one would think they would have seen those charges for what they were.
This is my last posting on this subject---enough is plainly enough on a subject that the Boneyard will never resolve, nor will ESPN, those who want to hear will hear those that play deaf shall continue, as in national politics and world relationships--lots of words and everything remains the same. History of the World, at least since North America was settled, has shown just that. Talk and no positive actions.

I just do not understand how Alzheimers can appear at a point in time, and person is fine to coach - in this case - a full 6 years after you say she was afflicted some how.

At any rate, despite circumstances, one would think Cronan or someone else would reason with Pat and convince her that this move may very well be an overreach, as it turned out to be..... though I understand Pat had immense power and was never questioned on anything......

This whole attempt to bring down our program stirs immense emotion in me...... but at a very base level, all is fine..... we will play the Stanfords NDs and others, and Tenn will play the USCs, KYs, etc..... and we will both hope for a meeting in the NCAAs , but most certainly not the regular season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just do not understand how Alzheimers can appear at a point in time, and person is fine to coach - in this case - a full 6 years after you say she was afflicted some how.
You need to talk to some families that have relatives affected by Alzheimer's. It's perfectly believable to me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

At any rate, despite circumstances, one would think Cronan or someone else would reason with Pat and convince her that this move may very well be an overreach, as it turned out to be..... though I understand Pat had immense power and was never questioned on anything.

This whole attempt to bring down our program stirs immense emotion in me. but at a very base level, all is fine..... we will play the Stanfords NDs and others, and Tenn will play the USCs, KYs, etc..... and we will both hope for a meeting in the NCAAs , but most certainly not the regular season.

I'll speak to Pat in particular, as I sit within 10 feet of the opposing head coach at USC home games. Two or three years before Pat retired, I remarked to a friend of mine (that sits elsewhere), that Pat was not herself, that she was much less involved in coaching the team, which seemed very odd to me. Pat had always ruled the Tennessee bench with an iron fist. In retrospect, people often realize they saw symptoms of Alzheimers long before the disease was diagnosed.

Reaction Score
I'll speak to Pat in particular, as I sit within 10 feet of the opposing head coach at USC home games. Two or three years before Pat retired, I remarked to a friend of mine (that sits elsewhere), that Pat was not herself, that she was much less involved in coaching the team, which seemed very odd to me. Pat had always ruled the Tennessee bench with an iron fist. In retrospect, people often realize they saw symptoms of Alzheimers long before the disease was diagnosed.

Yes, and if Nan's comments and yours are true, she should have been removed before she decided to leave her post on her own volition.

I am familiar with Alzheimers, and its terrible ravages..... just didnt know it could afflict in a big way in the sense of several years before one was incapable of functioning at a basic level

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes, and if Nan's comments and yours are true, she should have been removed before she decided to leave her post on her own volition.

I am familiar with Alzheimers, and its terrible ravages..... just didnt know it could afflict in a big way in the sense of several years before one was incapable of functioning at a basic level
It wasn't necessarily that obvious to those who saw her every day.

Reaction Score

I remember when Reagan was in preliminary stages of this awful disease..... and he was identifying people as "trees" It was sad......

I personally cannot believe nobody in Pat's daily life could not have discerned any difference...... but I guess my point is...... and I do not think anyone will disagree...... SOMEONE should have put the brakes on sending to NCAA......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

This, particularly in her case, is very believable and I don't mean that in a mean way. By all accounts Pat was a no nonsense, imperious person.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thank you for this link!! I wasn't a Boneyard member back in the day, so I didn't think I would ever get a chance to read the "report". Thanks again!!
how did you like reading it?

JS

Reaction Score
Thank you for this link!! I wasn't a Boneyard member back in the day, so I didn't think I would ever get a chance to read the "report". Thanks again!!
You wouldn't believe the stuff Meyers has in his grudge archives.

He still has that "Go out with you?? Ha ha ha!!!" note the girl passed him in class.

zuckerberg-notepass.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You wouldn't believe the stuff Meyers has in his grudge archives.

He still has that "Go out with you?? Ha ha ha!!!" note the girl passed him in class.

zuckerberg-notepass.jpg
As if a girl would have ever taken the time to respond to me. :rolleyes: (other than a restraining order of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom