Should we play Tennessee, or not? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Should we play Tennessee, or not?

Do you want to us to play Tenn play in a regular season game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A little OT, but on P.15 it says while at Germantown Academy Caroline Doty made Pennsylvania All-State in track for high jumping 5'8". She's the same height as Gabby, but Gabby jumped 6'2" at the same age.
and the difference shows...

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but this is the most absurd post in this very long thread. In the eight years since the mutual boycott began, Tennessee has never been less than a Top 20 team, and it has typically been Top 10. Next year there is a reasonable chance that it will be Top 5.

UConn has been devoting OOC slots to such WCBB luminaries as Creighton and UC Davis because so many better teams will not step up to the plate. Next year UConn will play Colgate with one of those "so important" OOC slots. When they are able to schedule pretty good teams such as DePaul, UCLA, or St. Johns, they are overjoyed to get that level of competition.

Tennessee is way, way better than any of those teams, and they are willing to play if no preconditions are imposed. If UConn wishes to maximize the competitiveness of its schedule (not to mention nationwide fan interest in its games), it should say yes. If any other team with the basketball resume of Tennessee offered to play, Geno would say yes in a heartbeat.

So the only reason not to play the game is because of events that happened 8 to 10 years ago. Many people who commit serious felonies get out of jail in less time than that.

It's time to let bygones be bygones and do the right thing to make the present-day schedule as competitive and interesting to fans as possible. The players on the current team, who were in primary school when those events occurred, deserve that.

See 2009...not a great year for us. The other years, yes, completely agree.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with whether or not it's a rivalry, which it is not, any more. We don't have rivalry with, say, Cal or Ohio State, but I wouldn't mind seeing them on the schedule, just as I think UConn-TN would make for a very watchable game. The concept that UConn should not play Tenn because of some admittedly awful things their former coach did and said back in the day proves that some BYers have long memories, but little else. I was as steamed as anyone when I read what Summit had said at the time, but that was then.

Now, UConn has progressed and TN is on its way back and, as several folks have pointed out, IMHO it would be far better to play TN than the Cal-Davises of the world. You don't have to forgive what those folks at TN did, and you certainly don't have to forget. But the concept that UConn should wait for a formal apology from TN for what happened back then is just an act of setting an insurmountable obstacle by people who, for their own reasons, don't want the game to happen. One of whom, it seems, is Geno. And then, for someone to suggest that in addition, TN needs to apologize to Maya Moore and her mother. For cryin' out loud. Let's have them send individual notes of apology to all CT season ticket holders during the year in question, while we're at it.

Stop, already. Life has passed this one by. Geno -- and some people here in the BY -- need to remember the words that Geno says the first practice after a championship season (and he says it far more gracefully that I ever could): The champions were last year's team. This team has to start all over again and prove itself. That being the case, and with so many years elapsed since the UConn-TN dispute, isn't it time to acknowledge that today's UConn team is not the same team as back then, nor is TN's? It is just time to move on. Hold the grudge if you want, but watch with pleasure as UConn dismantles TN in what I hope would be a hard-fought, quality basketball game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Reading this particular thread is hilarious and very enlightening. I'm not a UConn WBB Fan, but I am a fan of excellence and artistry in athletics, which is why I watch the Huskies. I never really understood why the rest of the world hates UConn Fans until now. ............................. So what is the obsession with playing UT? I really don't get it, I used to think that Duke Fans were the the worst. I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.

You really do need to rethink that premise.... Duke fans arent even among the top 50 worst

Reaction Score
I think Sonny 44 wanted a simple yes or no. As usual, one word answers are difficult for many on this board.
Attempted "one-upmanship" is more their style.

Correct, the thread will soon run out and I've learned more than I expected. I thought it would be about 50/50, but 70/30 against, ugh. People cna't seem to let go. We could get another needed exciting rivalry going, but I have to accept what it is.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thanks for putting it up Sonny
Edifying for me as well.

JS

Reaction Score
Correct, the thread will soon run out and I've learned more than I expected. I thought it would be about 50/50, but 70/30 against, ugh.
If you'd farmed the poll out to Quinnipiac, Sonny, and taken it among non-message board fans you might've gotten a different result.

Even confining the respondents to the Boneyard, you might've gotten a different result if you'd added an option for "don't care." That would've been my answer had I taken the poll. Not sure based on that whether Meyers will allow me to be a UConn fan. It'd be a grave disappointment after all these years if he didn't.

Lastly, you might've gotten a different result if you took the poll during the season. I have a feeling you'd catch more of the "here and now" crowd.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I didn't miss it,
If you didn't miss it then why the silly post?

why is there even a continuing conversation about it?
Because there is a minority of "fans" (and I use that term very loosely for those who want the game), that want the game. And it keeps coming up through reporters/ESPN asking about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You don't have to forgive what those folks at TN did,
You have it backwards. You can forgive them, but you should never, ever have anything to do with them again. You people actually think TN wouldn't stoop to something like that again if we were to start playing them again?

Let's have them send individual notes of apology to all CT season ticket holders during the year in question, while we're at it.
Not a bad idea. Still shouldn't ever schedule them again.

Stop, already. Life has passed this one by.
EXACTLY!!! Stop trying to get the two teams to play each other.

Reaction Score
I truly hope we never play them again unless its in the NCAA Tournament. The media would make that game into a circus. UCONN is doing very nicely without Tennessee. I'm sorry, but I will never forget or forgive what Pat and Tennessee tried to do to UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you didn't miss it then why the silly post?

Because there is a minority of "fans" (and I use that term very loosely for those who want the game), that want the game. And it keeps coming up through reporters/ESPN asking about it.
I don't think it is a minority of WCBB fans that would like to see that game. I'm pretty sure that a majority of WCBB fans would tune in for that one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But this is the definitive BY Poll and then we will never speak of it again, right? That's why I voted. I'm counting on this subject never coming up again. That's right isn't it?

Reaction Score
Reading this particular thread is hilarious and very enlightening. I'm not a UConn WBB Fan, but I am a fan of excellence and artistry in athletics, which is why I watch the Huskies. I never really understood why the rest of the world hates UConn Fans until now. You guys are sitting on this Board, after another 3-peat, whining about playing a school that hasn't been relevant in WCBB in 1o years. You remind me of the nerd in High School that becomes a dot.com billionaire, but is still jealous of the HS QB, who winds up working at the local Ford Plant. UConn is singularly acknowledged as the best team in WCBB by a wide margin, why is a game against TN which isn't even the best team in its own conference so important? Would it give UConn some kind of validation it doesn't already have? Does Geno need the game for his legacy? There is no player on the current roster who even remembers the last time UConn and UT actually played in a meaningful game. Pat Summitt is retired and suffering from Alzheimer's, Maya Moore is starring in the WNBA and around the world, Geno is collecting NC's like bubble gum cards and you fans are still clamoring for a game that would mean absolutely nothing, even if you win. UT/Uconn was never really a rivalry in the traditional sense, i.e. tOSU/TSUN, USC/UCLA, Duke/Carolina, or Alabama/Auburn, it was always that UConn aspired to be where UT was, and now they've surpassed anything UT ever dreamed of doing with no signs of slowing down any time soon. So what is the obsession with playing UT? I really don't get it, I used to think that Duke Fans were the the worst. I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.

Almost liked your posting---But Uconn Fans, with evidence to the contrary, are not obsessed with the Vols. Maybe a bit obsessed with the stupidity and ignorance that started the NCAA/wrong comments on a superb program. If you will read, with comprehension, ALL of the comments here-in you'll find they swing both ways, maybe more accurately many ways. Uconn is like the Quarterback that succeeded and the less successful Dot Com exec is trying to be a wanna be. Most don't really care one way or the other. Most feel real sorrow for Pat Summitt in any stage of Dementia--it's not something any Boneyard WBB fan would wish on their baddiest enemy!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. I don't think Geno and Chris would ever play the game after all that happened. Those of you who were not involved with UConn WCBB or were not part of it have no idea what lengths Tenn went to along with their fans, Summit board members, A Healthly Pat and her coaching staff and those that Pat and the Tenn administration drew in to support them to bring UConn down. This game will not happen as long as Geno and Chris are coaching at UConn. Stop for a minute and think about the reaction on this board. Why do some of you who post here argue with those of us who lived through it. It wasn't a couple of days of misery it was months and months. Do you understand and hear the way the fans on this board feel. I used the word Tenn killed the rivalry. Killed it. Do you understand the depth of Killed? Do you not hear from us the damage that was done? What they did is not repairable. Even with a public apology Geno and Chris would not play the game. It aint gonna happen.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a minority of WCBB fans that would like to see that game. I'm pretty sure that a majority of WCBB fans would tune in for that one.
Talking about UCONN "fans". Don't care about WCBB fans. Their opinion doesn't matter.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One last point from me.
The games were cancelled by Pat
At the time didn't Geno say that he was willing to play but that the other side cancelled it?
Now (years later) we have a situation where (after further consideration) our side won't budge (w/o the decided reparations).

I am sure this is perfectly logical to some…not to me

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One last point from me.
At the time didn't Geno say that he was willing to play but that the other side cancelled it?
Now (years later) we have a situation where (after further consideration) our side won't budge (w/o the decided reparations).

Logic does escape many on this board. :cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One last point from me.

Keep in mind that since that time there has been more Geno/Connecticut bashing e.g., Pat's "I was thinking of Connecticut" when discussing Bruce Pearl's recruiting issue. Also keep in mind that at the time the Tennessee fanbase thought that the failure to play to UConn would damage Connecticut. Geno found other teams to set up marquee games and keep our SOS high, so it turns out that the result appears to have been just the opposite. I think that Tennessee took itself out of the spot light. Within that context, I can see how Geno would think that there are plenty of other teams to play.

Now the addition of DeShields gives Tenn its best shot in a while to regain its former stature as an elite, rather than good, program. If it does that, then they will get to play Connecticut. It really is just that simple. As with most problems in sports, the answer is to "just win." It's all up to Tennessee at this point.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One last point from me.

It was Geno making it clear that this was a Pat decision, but she persisted with her nonsense AND I am sure Geno has noticed the media's repeated attempts to cast this as two adults who decided to be children - that it is somehow his fault too. Wrong move with Geno. May I also point out another obvious point. What would happen if Geno now were to reverse field and invite play without condition: all those Geno haters and that flip flop anything for a story press would howl: See, he was quilty otherwise he would have stuck to his guns.

There is nothing in this for UConn.

Anyone know what Natalie Butler is doing with her summer? Far more worthy and productive topic IMO.

Reaction Score
One last point from me.

My kids say this all the time. They are simply stating that they do not understand.
I've come to the conclusion that, knowing and experiencing the Orange as insulting, accusatory, defamatory and lying, UT can fall off the planet and rot for all I care.
some things simply cannot be forgiven, ever!
UConn should never play UT again. Perhaps after Geno (AG) we can look at it again.
But, every UT player, fan or supporter looks like this to me.......
images.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69