SG Mustapha Heron (Auburn Commit) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SG Mustapha Heron (Auburn Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His father has been moving him around for years putting him where he feels is best not even sure the kid has much say. Not sure this "package deal" is worth it anyway, pretty sure it comes with a coaching in the stands.

Reaction Score
yeah I agree, especially probably the best connecticut hs player in a very very long time (probably ever) non nepsac. Really don't get how he has zero interest in uconn, to each his own.
He's the best recent player out of CT. but ever?

Reaction Score
He's the best recent player out of CT. but ever?

There really have been a lot of pretty good players out of Conn. Can't see how he is better. Camby, Baker, Drummond, Charles Smith, Bagley, Foster, Gminski, Mahorn, Matthews, Murphy, Sly Williams, etc.

He'll be lucky to be as good as Burrell, Mike Adams, Del Negro, or Gomes were.

Reaction Score
There really have been a lot of pretty good players out of Conn. Can't see how he is better. Camby, Baker, Drummond, Charles Smith, Bagley, Foster, Gminski, Mahorn, Matthews, Murphy, Sly Williams, etc.

Michael Adams was a stud.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Any more details? Just curious. Did we get on him late or he just never expressed much interest in UConn?
Pretty much already been said. His dad has been selling him to the highest bidder, moving him around getting him the best possible situations. Well connected in the AAU scene with the NY Rens - not the kinda guy UConn goes after really. We were never involved.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He is a very good player, but I am happy if UCONN can get a player from NYC and there is a few of them coming up that are very good.

I'd say moving on, but in all honesty we were never part of the picture.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He is a very good player, but I am happy if UCONN can get a player from NYC and there is a few of them coming up that are very good.

I'd say moving on, but in all honesty we were never part of the picture.
I agree, it just sucks that we lost one of the better players out of Connecticut in a while to another school.

Reaction Score

Corny, Smitty, Scotty, John Williamson (maybe the best), Jay Murphy (I believe you meant Calvin), Soup Campbell, Earl Kelley, Tom Roy

Reaction Score
Both in college and the pros.

If this kid is the next Kris Dunn then whoever lands him should be thrilled.
Totally forgot about Dunn. Yup, if Heron turns out to be as good as Dunn he will be a hell of a player. I think Dunn has a chance to be a really good pro.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This kid is an absolute stud. Is there a reason we aren't going hard after him? He's a game changer.

Reaction Score
No, KO needs to be making every effort to get attainable guys. Going all-in on Heron would be a huge waste of time and take us out of the running for the '16 recruits we actually have a shot at.

Not saying you miss out on other recruits to chase Heron, but take a shot. If they don't get him, they don't get him, but at least try to get him on campus.

Reaction Score

I'm ashamed of you superjohn. Everyone knows Super John Williamson was the best ever although I might listen to arguments for Calvin Murphy.

Reaction Score
Don't know if it's already been said, but Heron looks exactly like the main character from Rebound with Martin Lawrence

Reaction Score
His father is good friends with Slice and thats why he comminted to Pitt. Ollie did make a call prior to the Pitt commitment but keep in mind he committed during his sophmore year and it was widely known that he was heavy Pitt lean before that. UConn is not option at all and never was.

My brother is friends with his father, and even recenlty traveled with him to Dallas for the AAU tourny there. He told me Mullin called Heron the day after he got the job and even told him that Slice was coming on board soon. St. Johns looks like the leader but he is keeping it open and wont commit for a while.

His father is heavily involved but I've been to many Sacred Heart High games this past season, since thats my old high school, he was never an issue at all. I know he works his sons hard and is known to have a great work out regiment for both his boys. His youngest is a freshman this year and will be one of the states top players in a few years. I wish more kids have fathers this involved.

Yes Heron absolutley has a say in where he goes but trusts his father and I can tell you Heron has never been a UConn fan. It happens i know kids from CT that hate UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His father is good friends with Slice and thats why he comminted to Pitt. Ollie did make a call prior to the Pitt commitment but keep in mind he committed during his sophmore year and it was widely known that he was heavy Pitt lean before that. UConn is not option at all and never was.

My brother is friends with his father, and even recenlty traveled with him to Dallas for the AAU tourny there. He told me Mullin called Heron the day after he got the job and even told him that Slice was coming on board soon. St. Johns looks like the leader but he is keeping it open and wont commit for a while.

His father is heavily involved but I've been to many Sacred Heart High games this past season, since thats my old high school, he was never an issue at all. I know he works his sons hard and is known to have a great work out regiment for both his boys. His youngest is a freshman this year and will be one of the states top players in a few years. I wish more kids have fathers this involved.

Yes Heron absolutley has a say in where he goes but trusts his father and I can tell you Heron has never been a UConn fan. It happens i know kids from CT that hate UConn.

I respect a great dad and the kid seems like a pretty good kid from all reports. But let's be honest, with all of the moves from town-to-town, HS-HS-prep dad seems whacked it it's not all about his kids like it or not. He's living through him a little too much for his own good but hey, that's this life right? The fact he doesn't like UConn would be some early views of Jim Calhoun probably and he wouldn't like a guy tougher than himself as well as he then wouldn't be chased by all the BIG time coaches.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UCONN has done a TERRIBLE JOB of recruiting and landing some CT's best top talent (High D1 talent). I know there are a myriad of reasons why kids go where they do, BUT we should still do better than we have. The only player in recent memory whom we have landed is Drummond. Lost out on Dunn, will lose Herron, lost on Chukwu, haven't gotten any of the CT prep kids like the ones out at Salisbury etc.

Ollie needs to fix this as with our crappy conference schedule, recruiting which is always important, is even more important than ever, as we can't rely on our conference to help us lure kids. We have to really recruit our butts off. Need to get an "ACE" recruiter w/
big-time AAU / urban (city) connections on staff. AKA Slice Rohrssen (SJU) or Book Richardson ('Zona).

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
UCONN has done a TERRIBLE JOB of recruiting and landing some CT's best top talent (High D1 talent). I know there are a myriad of reasons why kids go where they do, BUT we should still do better than we have. The only player in recent memory whom we have landed is Drummond.
And Enoch. And we're favorites for Jones if we want him. And we're strong with Waters. And Olander has more rings than Jim Boeheim.

But yeah, we could and should do better - which is an issue that predates the current staff.

Reaction Score
UCONN has done a TERRIBLE JOB of recruiting and landing some CT's best top talent (High D1 talent). I know there are a myriad of reasons why kids go where they do, BUT we should still do better than we have. The only player in recent memory whom we have landed is Drummond. Lost out on Dunn, will lose Herron, lost on Chukwu, haven't gotten any of the CT prep kids like the ones out at Salisbury etc.

Ollie needs to fix this as with our crappy conference schedule, recruiting which is always important, is even more important than ever, as we can't rely on our conference to help us lure kids. We have to really recruit our butts off. Need to get an "ACE" recruiter w/
big-time AAU / urban (city) connections on staff. AKA Slice Rohrssen (SJU) or Book Richardson ('Zona).

How can we lose out on a kid we didn't even offer? There were no scholarships available for Dunn. Chukwu was a loss, but apparently not a big one. Have you had a chance to see Chukwu? You may never hear the kid's name again.

I can't think of bigtime recruiting losses from the state? Trying hard here. Who?

There are kids like Dunn who UConn never offered, like Jordan Williams or Will Solomon or Ryan Gomes. There are a lot of those. But you can't offer everyone.

Who are you thinking of? (Chukwu doesn't count as a big loss).

Reaction Score

Not a whole lot of stud recruits in CT over the past 20 years. Dunn, it's well documented that UConn didn't have a scolie available. Chuckwu attended 1 UConn game on the same weekend Brimah was on an official visit. Shortly after Brimah committed Chuckwu said UConn already has it's center.
And, Drummond isn't exactly chopped liver. Let alone Enoch. As far as Heron, perhaps it's best he goes elsewhere if those fatherly feelings toward UConn are so bad. Sounds like daddy is in Slice's back pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom