Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The only leagues who would have enough good teams to have this problem would be the Power 5.
The AAC had a #1 seed and a #3 seed in 2014.

And is it really protection? If they put them together in the same regional, some might complain that the committee is trying to guarantee that a team from that conference makes the Final Four. If they're separated, they might all advance ... or they might all lose.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You know nothing about West Virginia yet are stupefied anyone might think the bracket is tough? Kinda explains a lot.

In the last week, West Virginia beat Oklahoma by 30, beat #3 seed Texas, and blew out #1 seed Baylor. They are the 6th seed in our region.

True, but if UCONN faces them it'll be in place of Maryland...I think every Connecticut fan will be quite pleased to face WVU at home instead of Maryland in the Elite 8. Even if WVU presents challenges, Connecticut should steamroll to the Elite 8 and will be playing at home to reach the Final Four. Regardless of opponent in the Elite 8, if any team upsets Connecticut before the Final Four, it'll unquestionably be the biggest upset in NCAA history. They're a lock to make it to Dallas.

Plebe

Reaction Score
True, but if UCONN faces them it'll be in place of Maryland...I think every Connecticut fan will be quite pleased to face WVU at home instead of Maryland in the Elite 8. Even if WVU presents challenges, Connecticut should steamroll to the Elite 8 and will be playing at home to reach the Final Four. Regardless of opponent in the Elite 8, if any team upsets Connecticut before the Final Four, it'll unquestionably be the biggest upset in NCAA history. They're a lock to make it to Dallas.
Louisville as a 5 seed over Baylor in 2012 was a bigger upset IMO. At that time no one considered Louisville a serious threat. Not the case with Maryland this year.

Reaction Score
If I got the bracket Dawn got I'd play it in Afghanistan if I could. If South Carolina doesn't make it to Dallas out of that region it's on her.

The state of South Carolina is hosting men's first rounds. Any city in the state step up and bid to host a women's regional? Kentucky was always going to go to Lexington making it impossible for them to put USC there as well.

I think a lot of these athletic departments are all talk and no action when it comes to really supporting their women's team. See Stanford having to play on the road due to a gymnastics tournament. See UConn still being in the AAC. Fairfield Univ/MAAC steps up and bids every year and that's why it gets selected because of us. I am positive with South Carolina's great fan support the NCAA would pick a site close to SC if they bid. If no one bid that's on them.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Louisville as a 5 seed over Baylor in 2012 was a bigger upset IMO. At that time no one considered Louisville a serious threat. Not the case with Maryland this year.

It's a close call. UCONN is undefeated and has won 107 games in a row plus they'll essentially be playing at home. I think the Baylor upset was the most shocking since absolutely no one saw it coming, but in the grand scheme of things, I think this would take the cake factoring in the win streak, home advantage, and breaking a streak of 9 straight Final Fours and 4 consecutive titles.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's a close call. UCONN is undefeated and has won 107 games in a row plus they'll essentially be playing at home. I think the Baylor upset was the most shocking since absolutely no one saw it coming, but in the grand scheme of things, I think this would take the cake factoring in the win streak, home advantage, and breaking a streak of 9 straight Final Fours and 4 consecutive titles.
This particular UConn team hasn't won 107 in a row. They're undefeated this season, yes, but they've had some very close calls this year.

Baylor that year had lost a 2-point game to Stanford, but other than that had won almost all of its games by double digits (much like the 2015 UConn team). They beat Notre Dame by 12 in South Bend and beat UConn by 6 in Hartford. By the end of the season people were saying Baylor was "a lock." The 2017 UConn team has been only slightly more dominant than the 2013 Baylor team was. If Imani Wright's shot goes in, their seasons would look virtually identical.

Louisville of 2012-13 entered the tourney with 8 losses, and both of their games with Notre Dame had been blowouts. They were not expected to challenge for a Final Four, period. There's a massive gap between the level of that Louisville team level heading into the tournament and Maryland's level this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Duke vs Uconn elite 8. PLEASE basketball gods.
The gods have done their part to make that happen. It's time for the teams to do theirs.

And by that I mean, Lexie better be goin' into slay mode against her former coach. ;)

Reaction Score
The gods have done their part to make that happen. It's time for the teams to do theirs.

And by that I mean, Lexie better be goin' into slay mode against her former coach. ;)
Hopefully no upsets happen and we're lucky enough to see that happen. If so, I for one will definitely be paying attention to the end game handshakes.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
That's right. The rule is that the top 4 teams from a conference must be placed in separate regions if they are on the top 4 seed lines.

This is also why Notre Dame, Duke, Florida State, and Louisville (the top 4 from the ACC) were each placed in a separate regional.

I believe this rule was instituted after the Elite 8 game in 2011 between Baylor and Texas A&M, which elicited a lot of complaints.

Not to nitpick...but NCState was the #4 team in the ACC, due to tiebreaker wins over Duke and Louisville. Louisville finished in 5th place.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick...but NCState was the #4 team in the ACC, due to tiebreaker wins over Duke and Louisville. Louisville finished in 5th place.
The "top 4" for the purposes of this rule are the teams ranked highest by the committee, not according to conference standings.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
LOL Auburn gets in, Tennessee a 5 seed, and South Carolina with the easiest path.

Man that SEC is soooooo good! They've sent 1 team to the Final Four in 9 years.

Your obsession is showing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You already ditched your Elon avatar? So fickle...

I gave em 48 hours....

Not sure if you saw the interview... but your coach wasnt pleased at the seeding.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I dont recall saying anything negative about the Owls. :rolleyes:

After they cracked the top 25, you wrote and I quote: "Temple????"

I might not have the exact number of question marks right, but it's pretty close.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I gave em 48 hours....

Not sure if you saw the interview... but your coach wasnt pleased at the seeding.

I did...at least the 30 seconds that WRAL-TV afforded NCState in their newscast and on their website. He makes a good point; last year, the Wolfpack Women were completely left out of the field because they had no top 50 wins. This year, they had a bunch, beat four of the top 16 in the tourney field and were "rewarded" by making the tournament but having to travel into hostile territory. Given who they have already played and beaten this season, the Wolfpack Women, and those hungry seniors who have only played in one NCAAT game in their careers, won't be scared or intimidated in Austin.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After they cracked the top 25, you wrote and I quote: "Temple????"

I might not have the exact number of question marks right, but it's pretty close.

Oh yeah.. :p

Plebe

Reaction Score
I did...at least the 30 seconds that WRAL-TV afforded NCState in their newscast and on their website. He makes a good point; last year, the Wolfpack Women were completely left out of the field because they had no top 50 wins. This year, they had a bunch, beat four of the top 16 in the tourney field and were "rewarded" by making the tournament but having to travel into hostile territory. Given who they have already played and beaten this season, the Wolfpack Women, and those hungry seniors who have only played in one NCAAT game in their careers, won't be scared or intimidated in Austin.

Did Wes think they should've been given a top-4 seed?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ah Maria Taylor, yet another ESPN employee who doesnt know how to say Quinnipiac.
Though I'll give her a break since she's not based in CT. Now when the sportscenter anchors do it too ...

I just googled Maria Taylor.... I had no idea she was 6'2" played basketball and volleyball at UGA. I know this has nothing to do with the bracket. :oops:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Did Wes think they should've been given a top-4 seed?

He said that if anyone had told him before hand that if 5 ACC teams were going to host, that the team that finished 7th in the standings would be one of them while the team that finished 4th would not be, he would be very surprised. So...he was surprised! The players seem excited and ready to play, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom