Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That was last year as you noted, this year let's see how they do against other 1-2-3 seeds. That's the beauty of opinion boards! Based on the 2016-17 games ...not so much Never let the fact get in the way of a discussion..I can list them all for you if you want then parse why they all lost... ND-Wash; Stan-Tenn; UCLA-Baylor; UCLA-SC and OSU to umm oh yeah you didn't play anyone! Stan did beat Texas so yeah, PAC12 is 1-4 against top 5 seeds. Yeah power conference...
I have said all along that I'm not necessarily sold on the Pac12 this year, but it's worth pointing out that there was nothing particularly noteworthy in their body of work last season that would have predicted that Stanford could upset ND and OSU & Washington would run a string of upsets to FF berths.

The one area where the Pac12 appears strongest is coaching. Setting aside Muffet for the time being, all things being equal, which group of 3 coaches would you rather have coaching your team: Brenda, Kim & Dawn or Tara, Rueck & Neighbors? IMO it's the Pac12 coaches hands down.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My sort of light-hearted discussion with my OSU collegue has led me to this observation on the committee- they talk about signature wins yet NO PAC12 team save Stanford had such a win out of conference butyhere are OSU, Wash and UCLA all top 4 seeds.

Give me the ACC any day.
Who said that "signature" wins must take place out of conference? Who did Florida State beat out of conference? How about Louisville?

Does Notre Dame's home win over Washington count as a "signature" win? Okay then, how about Arizona State's and Colorado's wins over Kentucky?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Who said that "signature" wins must take place out of conference? Who did Florida State beat out of conference? How about Louisville?

Does Notre Dame's home win over Washington count as a "signature" win? Okay then, how about Arizona State's and Colorado's wins over Kentucky?
When noting conference strength, yes, OOC wins are important. Winning within conference to me, is sort of expected due to familiarity.

I also don't want to hear parsing of "did they win at home or on the road". Great teams do both. Good teams only win against other good teams at home.

My point to OSU and I guess you as well, what is qualifying the PAC12 as such a great conference when their top teams are well behind the top teams of every other conference? Seriously, IMO they are overseeded in this tournament and only time will tell if I am right.

At least Baylor, SC, UConn, Duke, MD, Miss St, ND all beat top ranked teams. Texas only beat FSU while Stan only beat Texas. OSU didn't even play anyone OOC so why do they get a pass but Brenda doesn't? Don't give me the story about conference strength as that wasn't known when the games were being scheduled.

Yes, I am a bit fired up, more so at the BS the committtee slings about signature wins vs. bad losses or going cold at the end of the year (see Auburn or Cal). Being honest and consistent. We are smarter than you give us credit for.

Ok, I feel better now...Meds have kicked in :oops:

Reaction Score
My sort of light-hearted discussion with my OSU collegue has led me to this observation on the committee- they talk about signature wins yet NO PAC12 team save Stanford had such a win out of conference butyhere are OSU, Wash and UCLA all top 4 seeds.

Give me the ACC any day.
We're saving our "signature wins" for the tournament! Let's see which conference ends up with the most wins per team by end of tournament.

Plebe

Reaction Score
My point to OSU and I guess you as well, what is qualifying the PAC12 as such a great conference when their top teams are well behind the top teams of every other conference? Seriously, IMO they are overseeded in this tournament and only time will tell if I am right.

At least Baylor, SC, UConn, Duke, MD, Miss St, ND all beat top ranked teams. Texas only beat FSU while Stan only beat Texas. OSU didn't even play anyone OOC so why do they get a pass but Brenda doesn't? Don't give me the story about conference strength as that wasn't known when the games were being scheduled.

And my point to you is that you're applying a stricter standard to the Pac-12 than to other conferences. Where are you seeing the OOC "signature" wins for all of those teams?
  • Who did Baylor beat outside the Big 12? UCLA was their best OOC win. But since you think UCLA is overrated as a #4 seed, you surely must think that's an insignificant win, right?
  • Who are the top-ranked teams that Notre Dame beat out of conference? Best OOC win was Washington, who apparently you think is another one of those Pac-12 paper tigers, right?
  • Who did Mississippi State and South Carolina beat? Best OOC win for both of them was Texas, same as Stanford. But since Stanford beat Texas as well, you must think a win over Texas doesn't really count, huh?
  • Who did Louisville beat? Best OOC win was Kentucky. But that's also the case with both Arizona State and Colorado.
  • And who did Maryland beat? Just Louisville, a team that didn't get any OOC "signature" wins either.
  • Who did Florida State beat? Best OOC wins were Michigan and JMU, neither of which ended up making the tournament.
Why aren't you holding all of these teams' feet to the fire in the same way you are with the Pac-12?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
We're saving our "signature wins" for the tournament! Let's see which conference ends up with the most wins per team by end of tournament.
Uh oh, I decided to risk harassment at work and used my iPad to watch the OSU Long Beach game and it's quite the battle. Wiese has 2 early fouls, OSU has a few too many turnovers and are down early in 2Q. I hope you Battle back.

Reaction Score
Uh oh, I decided to risk harassment at work and used my iPad to watch the OSU Long Beach game and it's quite the battle. Wiese has 2 early fouls, OSU has a few too many turnovers and are down early in 2Q. I hope you Battle back.
I'm not going to repost what I have on a few other threads, but if we had bet a steak dinner on how far OSU would advance in this tournament, I think I would have bought you the steak dinner, and, the cow too! I was at the game today, and it was remarkably poor performance, and, horrible in-game coaching by Rueck. We'll see if OSU can bounce back, and look like a conference champion, or, a conference chump.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not going to repost what I have on a few other threads, but if we had bet a steak dinner on how far OSU would advance in this tournament, I think I would have bought you the steak dinner, and, the cow too! I was at the game today, and it was remarkably poor performance, and, horrible in-game coaching by Rueck. We'll see if OSU can bounce back, and look like a conference champion, or, a conference chump.
What do you think were the mistakes Rueck made? Wrong type of defense? Personnel choices?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it looks like Stanford established the blueprint on how to beat your team. Blanket Wiese all over the court and force someone else to beat you. LB ST followed it to a tee and it almost worked again.

I must say that I was impressed with the crowd and arena in Corvallis.

Reaction Score
What do you think were the mistakes Rueck made? Wrong type of defense? Personnel choices?
Wrong personnel: He played Taylor Kalmar (best pure shooter & penetrating guard) but didn't have her in the game in 4th quarter when Beavers needed someone who could knock down OPEN shots. Also, Rueck had others managing the point other than Wiese a good portion of the game, and, was successful in at least getting open looks. When Wiese was at the point, she was swarmed. Wiese needs to come off multiple screens rather than dribbling around for 20 seconds at the point while the rest of the team is standing around.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Wrong personnel: He played Taylor Kalmar (best pure shooter & penetrating guard) but didn't have her in the game in 4th quarter when Beavers needed someone who could knock down OPEN shots. Also, Rueck had others managing the point other than Wiese a good portion of the game, and, was successful in at least getting open looks. When Wiese was at the point, she was swarmed. Wiese needs to come off multiple screens rather than dribbling around for 20 seconds at the point while the rest of the team is standing around.
I think it was a good game for "lesson learned" and I have too much faith in Rueck as a coach to not think he won't adjust. I would say due to our banter, I made a point of watching most of the game yesterday as it was only the 3rd time I was able to watch them. I still have grave concerns on your offense. I am rooting for you but still have concerns!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom