Seattle vs. LA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seattle vs. LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It seems like may people are going to drag out the Parker thing all summer, and that's everyone's right to do so. I TOTALLY agree that Parker has the talent to be on the US National and Olympic team. BUT... she was still passed over. MAYBE there are other reasons not specifically related to basketball skills as to why she was left off the team.

It's been alluded to many times on here but no one the Olympic committee, nor any of the US team members will come out and say it. I totally understand that this will go on all WNBA season, but those who get it will continue to remind those who don't that it's not the 12 best players in the US who make the team - it's the best 12 TEAMMATES...
Non-basketball skills related reasons for the deselecting someone from the Olympic team should be left to AAU basketball- you know the amateurs!

Reaction Score
My Q3 comment was that she played in the third quarter but generally seemed disinterested - scored 3 points I believe and allowed three or four drives to the basket while showing minimum defensive effort. She re-energized for the start of the fourth.

You see it every year it seems with pro teams - team wins the champnship, brings in some more talent, and goes out and lays an egg the following year - chemistry and playing for themselves rather than for the team. Red Sox after their last championship are a classic example of a team that completely imploded. The NY Yankees are another pretty much every year.
The issue is not with talent only - everyone in the Olympic pool is supremely talented, it is getting the right mix of skills and teamwork.
FYI - And a classic example is the Ryder Cup - the USA team is always rated much higher than the Europeans, and yet the record in recent years has been pretty miserable. They can seldom play 4 ball or better ball to save their lives.

I think this is over-exaggerated. I do agree it is not with talent only though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am so tired of hearing the Parker vs Olympic team debate..... even I know this is off season and ripe for this sort of drawn out laborious discussion.....

I am a Candice fan actually.... i love her game.... but I am not going to pass judgment and place myself in the role of choosing the Olympic team.... I am not behind the door where the discussions take place.... team is chosen by a 12 person committee..... although some say.... and especially many in LV land insist, that it is actually non-committee member Geno who shut the door on CP's being on team.... Who knows!!! But I think it is folly for us fans to insist that we know who should be on the team, who shouldn't..... including absolute barometers..... for instance Candice outscoring Breanna tonight definitively means that she deserves to be on team, and Breanna does not.... social media from Candice showing her dunking a basketball shows her prowess and justifies her talent to be on the team....

Of course, what is bothersome is the next step.... that opinion is in fact, fact, and that leads to Geno's characterization assassination by certain fans..... describing him in unflattering ways I never heard other coaches being described before.... that is wrong on many levels.....

Not being selected .... being "snubbed".... happens all the time.... Charles Barkley was left off the 84 Olympic team coached by Bobby Knight..... if you want to go to the women's game.... to cite one example, Becky Hammon, everyone's golden girl now as asst coach of San Antonio Spurs, was snubbed and left off the 04 Olympic team, forcing her to play for the Russian team. It happens, folks.... and the debate is fine with me..... I just do not like it when criticism and associated character related comments come out on our Olympic coach which cannot be printed or repeated on this forum.

The team has been selected. We must live with it. Good luck on a successful WNBA season. I will be rooting for everyone.
Bayarea, It is Candace not that I want to be the spelling police but there is a certain disrespectful element that deliberately misspells Geno's name when trying to be cute- & I would never associate you with that element.
Any Geno character assignations as a result of this selection are flat out wrong.
Any hint of Bias towards UCONN players in the selection process of the Olympic team is more wrong.
The de-selection of CP from this Olympic team is not justifiable on a basketball skills basis.
The exclusion of Charles Barkley from 1984 Olympic team is not even close because in 1984 Charles Barkley was not nearly the player he later became in fact he was not even 2nd team All-American=basketball skills reason.
The exclusions of Becky from the 2004 Olympic team ? Well, Becky was going to have to beat out Diana, Sue or Katie Douglas to make that team, she did not =basketball skills reason.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and Becky's off the court character, attitude, interaction with other players seemed to be intact. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amen, ucmiami.

Picking the Olympic team anytime after the start of the WNBA season is possibly the dumbest idea I have ever heard.
You mean like they did in 2008?
First Nine Members Of 2008 U-S- Women-s Olympic Basketball Team Named

Or in 2012 when the final spot was not selected until well into WNBA season ?
" While 11 players have been selected to be a part of the 2012 Olympic Team, some really, really good players are still in the mix for that final spot,” said Geno Auriemma

Really dumb![/QUOTE]

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
image.png

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How many WNBA titles has Candace Parker won?

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I can't remember where I read it but during one of the training camps I remember Stewart saying that Candace helped her a lot. I know Candace is disappointed but I bet she isn't holding it against anyone who made the team. Thought I would share the above picture because I remembered seeing them laughing together during the game. Probably about how they couldn't stop each other.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You mean like they did in 2008?
First Nine Members Of 2008 U-S- Women-s Olympic Basketball Team Named

Or in 2012 when the final spot was not selected until well into WNBA season ?
" While 11 players have been selected to be a part of the 2012 Olympic Team, some really, really good players are still in the mix for that final spot,” said Geno Auriemma

Really dumb!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it wasn't a good idea then and isn't now but even then most of the team was in place. The should wait argument is just an excuse to extend the whining.

Reaction Score
the both played excellent games and seem to like each other. put me in the camp that doesn't believe Stewart got the last spot over Parker for the USA team. there are several USA players that have either passed their peak or aren't as talented as Parker. those are the players who were erroneously selected.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Yes, it wasn't a good idea then and isn't now but even then most of the team was in place. The should wait argument is just an excuse to extend the whining.[/QUOTE]
Would you same the same if Candace got off to a bad start? Extending the selection is not really an argument is it? They actually did it so that would make it a FACT!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I can't remember where I read it but during one of the training camps I remember Stewart saying that Candace helped her a lot. I know Candace is disappointed but I bet she isn't holding it against anyone who made the team. Thought I would share the above picture because I remembered seeing them laughing together during the game. Probably about how they couldn't stop each other.
Sometimes the "kids" are more mature than a lot of the much older fans.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
the both played excellent games and seem to like each other. put me in the camp that doesn't believe Stewart got the last spot over Parker for the USA team. there are several USA players that have either passed their peak or aren't as talented as Parker. those are the players who were erroneously selected.

In a Courant article "Auriemma admitted that sentimentality and loyalty influenced the selection of this initial group." (Roster Taking Shape)
I also remember that Carol Callan mentioned (in an article that I cannot find at the moment) that "sentimentality" played a part in the selection process.
I think "sentimentality" was the justification for including the players who had passed their peak (except for DT, who I think is still in top form). "Loyalty" I can understand, but "sentimentality" seems more difficult to support as a criteria in the selection of an Olympic team, and seems like a poor choice of words. That said, I am happy for everyone who made the team.:cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In a Courant article "Auriemma admitted that sentimentality and loyalty influenced the selection of this initial group." (Roster Taking Shape)
I also remember that Carol Callan mentioned (in an article that I cannot find at the moment) that "sentimentality" played a part in the selection process.
I think "sentimentality" was the justification for including the players who had passed their peak (except for DT, who I think is still in top form). "Loyalty" I can understand, but "sentimentality" seems more difficult to support as a criteria in the selection of an Olympic team. That said, I am happy for everyone who made the team.:cool:

" Carol spoke about how the following factors played a role in the selection process: individual talent, players who fit roles on the team, sentimentality, age, previous Olympic or international experience, previous opportunities to be in the Olympics, and previous relationships with coaching and administrative staff."

Selecting the 2016 Women's Olympic Basketball Team (VIDEO)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, it wasn't a good idea then and isn't now but even then most of the team was in place. The should wait argument is just an excuse to extend the whining.
Would you same the same if Candace got off to a bad start? Extending the selection is not really an argument is it? They actually did it so that would make it a FACT!

It would still be irrelevant if Candace was off to a great start or bad start. It would be irrelevant if she was off the team or on the team. I have already said there are players that an argument can be made for Candace being chosen over. BUT that the argument is not compelling enough to demand her being chosen over them and that there is strong argument for each of the players on the team. What is stupid is treating Candace as if she was necessity and irrefutable choice. She wasn't and isn't.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
If irrelevant, (extending selection time) , why did you incorrectly bring it up as a bad idea?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If irrelevant, (extending selection time) , why did you incorrectly bring it up as a bad idea?[/QUOTE]
I wasn't speaking of extending the selection time.

Reaction Score
Bayarea, It is Candace not that I want to be the spelling police but there is a certain disrespectful element that deliberately misspells Geno's name when trying to be cute- & I would never associate you with that element.
Any Geno character assignations as a result of this selection are flat out wrong.
Any hint of Bias towards UCONN players in the selection process of the Olympic team is more wrong.
The de-selection of CP from this Olympic team is not justifiable on a basketball skills basis.
The exclusion of Charles Barkley from 1984 Olympic team is not even close because in 1984 Charles Barkley was not nearly the player he later became in fact he was not even 2nd team All-American=basketball skills reason.
The exclusions of Becky from the 2004 Olympic team ? Well, Becky was going to have to beat out Diana, Sue or Katie Douglas to make that team, she did not =basketball skills reason.

Yes my mistake on the spelling.... and thank you... i like candace and would never misspell her name intentionally....

I remember Barkley in 84 true he was not the superstar he would become during NBA career but I remember there was still great surprise he was not selected....

I guess my point in all this is that to read many of the write ins.... it is a case of Candace vs. (pick your) UConn player for roster spot. And behind that, is allegation that Geno is totally responsible for that..... and should be castigated for that

And that is what I get very tired of hearing.

In my career .... have lost jobs a couple of times thinking I was the best qualified. And as coach (albeit HS level) have chosen teams leaving someone out frequently who others thought should have been selected to team.

Reaction Score
The horse no longer exists.... it's been beaten into dust.... there's an imprint of where the dead horse laid. Stop trying to beat the dead horse that no longer exists :p

Have a wonderful day :)

xoxo :oops::eek::D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would still be irrelevant if Candace was off to a great start or bad start. It would be irrelevant if she was off the team or on the team. I have already said there are players that an argument can be made for Candace being chosen over. BUT that the argument is not compelling enough to demand her being chosen over them and that there is strong argument for each of the players on the team. What is stupid is treating Candace as if she was necessity and irrefutable choice. She wasn't and isn't.
There were two separate threads predicting the 2016 Olympic team. There was no single Post predicting CP would not be on the Olympic Team.
There were several people predicting CP as an "irrefutable" choice for the team.

Here are some examples.

Locks in my mind... for 2016 Dee (she said she wants to come back and she's fitter than ever) Moore, Whalen, Parker, Charles, Fowles, Stewart, Augustus, McCaughtry, EDD

With Delle Donne, Candace Parker and Brittany Griner, Maya Moore, Dee and Sue, you can put anybody else out there with them and they still win by far!

The Absolute Sure shots- Tamika, Maya, Delle Donne, Parker, Diana, Brittney, Tina, Sue Bird. I have NO DOUBT about this great eight.

PFs

Candace Parker-starter, lock

Breanna Stewart-she's a lock. Based on Geno's track record, there's no way he is leaving her off the roster

Barring injuries, the only position that I think is really up for grabs is Augustus's. Sims could contend, McCoughtry may nab the spot. I don't see it going to Diggins. As good as Dupree and Ogwumike are, they don't have the skills to be perimeter small forwards and they will not be chosen over Stewart and Parker.

Bird - lock

Taursi - lock

Maya - lock

Candace - lock

Griner - lock

My dream scenario: Seeing Taurasi run the point with EDD and Maya on the wings and a dominating Parker/Griner duo in the frontcourt. Make it happen Geno! I don't care about position labels...

Do you consider all these people to be stupid?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Coached for over 15 years girl varsity HS. Cut 2 seniors during my tenure. Again, attitude is everything. Neither time was the cut disputed by the rest of the team.

That's because you've got a mean vicious bite Doggie. None of the other girls wanted to incur your wrath, or join those two seniors. :eek:

BTW.............................I've known MDoggie personally for over 15 years. We worked in buildings that were adjacent to one another for years. I do vouch for him being a coach. He joined the yard at my invitation. I'm just messing with him. :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's because you've got a mean vicious bite Doggie. None of the other girls wanted to incur your wrath, or join those two seniors. :eek:
BTW.........I know MDoggie personally. We worked in buildings that were adjacent to one another for years. I do vouch for him being a coach. He joined the yard at my invitation. I'm just messing with him. :)
My only question is who is going to warn MDoggie about you and the company he's keeping? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom