Seattle vs. LA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seattle vs. LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie will be fine. She played at the WNBA level since November.

Kaleena, as Geno always said, needs to find the right situation. Having Stewie and Jewell on the floor should leave her open. She still has that world-class magic touch.

I'm surprised that Sue started so slowly. She'll be fine soon too.

I thought Candace should have been on Team USA. What she is showing is not that she is a great player. What she is showing is that she is a great player when she wants to be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CihxRgHVEAEUwnW.jpg:large

Katie Lou Samuelson ‏@33katielou 2h2 hours ago
Out here supporting @bre_stewart30

10 retweets 118 likes
A little break at home in Surf City and then cruise up the 405 to L.A. The #1 pick in 2019.

Reaction Score
Was Stewie guarding Parker? Over on the Volnation they are saying Parker was killing Stewie.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't think so. I don't think they're team is good enough. Maybe - but I don't think so. I think either if not both Minny or Phoenix will beat them. though the coach for LA is awesome.

Personally, not necessarily team-wise
But LA'll be a contender for sure

If you were going to pick an Olympic team based on this weekend:
Maya. Seimone, Stewie, Parker, Nnecka, Diana, Charles plus at least one of the bigs is the essence of the team
Lindsay and big Syl came out of the gate strong

We didn't see EDD and Sky, so no consideration for them.

Vandersloot had a good game...so did our ole buddy Bria...on fire in the 2nd half
Brittney was not too much of a force...not one O board

Tamika and Sue were ineffective (too ancient?..a bridge too far? need to get those old bones warmed up?)...we'll see

Based on this initial pick: Maya (1) Parker (2) which is not too far away from how a betting man might handicap it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Was Stewie guarding Parker? Over on the Boneyard they are saying Parker was killing Stewie.

Parker was killing everybody
But then Stewie was unstoppable too.

Err....This is the Boneyard.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
A little break at home in Surf City and then cruise up the 405 to L.A. The #1 pick in 2019.
In 2019, Lou, Napheesa, and Azurá (our next "Big 3") will graduate and could also go 1-2-3 (in what order I don't know) in the draft. 2019 is also the year that freshman Mo'ne Davis plans on joining UConn.;)

arch

Reaction Score
[QUOTE ="MDoggie, post: 1695198, member: 6876"]Was Stewie guarding Parker? Over on the Volnation they are saying Parker was killing Stewie.[/QUOTE]
May have been the other way around. They weren't guarding each other in first half. I think Stewart slowed Parker down early in second half. Then Parker went off against other Seattle posts.
Parker did have a pretty neat three point play on Stewart in 4th quarter, drawing a foul on penetration.

Reaction Score
Personally, not necessarily team-wise
But LA'll be a contender for sure

If you were going to pick an Olympic team based on this weekend:
Maya. Seimone, Stewie, Parker, Nnecka, Diana, Charles plus at least one of the bigs is the essence of the team
Lindsay and big Syl came out of the gate strong

We didn't see EDD and Sky, so no consideration for them.

Vandersloot had a good game...so did our ole buddy Bria...on fire in the 2nd half
Brittney was not too much of a force...not one O board

Tamika and Sue were ineffective (too ancient?..a bridge too far? need to get those old bones warmed up?)...we'll see

Based on this initial pick: Maya (1) Parker (2) which is not too far away from how a betting man might handicap it.

if you don't get it done and win a title team-wise then there will be still be a stigma. parker has already had some super years so I don't see individually how this year will separate from other super years she's had other than winning a title. and LA is a contender every year with a healthy Parker and Nneka. the Olympics have nothing to do with it imo. And as for NNeka she has a limitation- can't shoot 3's well and not quite big enough to be an explosive impact in the paint. SO her game I can't see the difference of this year vs any other. Sure it can improve a bit with Agler but nothing earth-shattering.

As far as Olympics team comment, I hoped we were done. I posted 30 times or more on the subject. So I'm done with it until Olympics time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stevie had a real impressive first game...still learning about the physicality and speed but could anyone expect more?

What can you say about Parker and Nnecka
Showcasing the huge...monster mistake the committee made in leaving these two off.
They're going to rub it in everyones face all season.

As a long time Sparks fan (since Lisa Leslie joined the team), I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was nice to see my hometown team get off to such a rousing start. I was particularly interested in seeing Stewie (23 pts) embark on her maiden voyage. After she has a few more games under her belt and gets over the "awe" complex, she'll be fine. She proved today that she can play at this level. I also wanted to see how much progress KML has made since the end of the season. 7 points in 17 minutes, but 4 turn overs. One game does not a season make.

Stewie looked good, but Parker (34 pts) looked better. She was getting anything she wanted, and was making it look easy. Being snubbed from the Olympic team may have added to her motivation. Sue Bird had only 2 points and 1 assist in 28 minutes. I hope the Sparks can keep it going, and play this well against the elite teams in the league. 1 down, only 33 more to go. The playoffs will be here before you know it. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems like may people are going to drag out the Parker thing all summer, and that's everyone's right to do so. I TOTALLY agree that Parker has the talent to be on the US National and Olympic team. BUT... she was still passed over. MAYBE there are other reasons not specifically related to basketball skills as to why she was left off the team.

It's been alluded to many times on here but no one the Olympic committee, nor any of the US team members will come out and say it. I totally understand that this will go on all WNBA season, but those who get it will continue to remind those who don't that it's not the 12 best players in the US who make the team - it's the best 12 TEAMMATES...

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
It seems like may people are going to drag out the Parker thing all summer, and that's everyone's right to do so. I TOTALLY agree that Parker has the talent to be on the US National and Olympic team. BUT... she was still passed over. MAYBE there are other reasons not specifically related to basketball skills as to why she was left off the team.

It's been alluded to many times on here but no one the Olympic committee, nor any of the US team members will come out and say it. I totally understand that this will go on all WNBA season, but those who get it will continue to remind those who don't that it's not the 12 best players in the US who make the team - it's the best 12 TEAMMATES...
true assuming mean reversion -- that those Olympic selections who played poorly this weekend return to their prior form soon to quash the ongoing questions. Chemistry is critical but so is talent/ability to perform at a high level now (not 5 years ago or even last year).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - definitely my plan - pick the allstars for the WNBA and the players for the Olympic team based on one game!
I thought Parker looked great in the first half, didn't bother coming out of the locker room until the end of the 3rd Q and had another nice burst of energy. at the start of the 4th Q. I also saw her play about 5 minutes of defense, problem being she was on the floor for a lot longer.

Reaction Score

Count me among those who do not get it.

What is being suggested is that when evaluating players, talent should be the secondary consideration, being a good teammate the first. That, as a coach, when in doubt, one should be more willing to go with players that demonstrate the qualities of being a good teammate(whatever the heck that comprises) than to go with talented players.

Has it ever been shown/demonstrated that Candace Parker is a detriment to a winning effort? Has there been anything written or even spoken about Parker to this effect?

The Best 12 Teammates? I will be 62 in July and you have introduced me to a concept with which I had no prior familiarity, but will certainly keep in mind going forward. You could very well be totally correct, the realization of which would, in turn, put me among those who get it. Until then...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

What is being suggested is that when evaluating players, talent should be the secondary consideration, being a good teammate the first. That, as a coach, when in doubt, one should be more willing to go with players that demonstrate the qualities of being a good teammate(whatever the heck that comprises) than to go with talented players.

Has it ever been shown/demonstrated that Candace Parker is a detriment to a winning effort? Has there been anything written or even spoken about Parker to this effect?

The Best 12 Teammates? I will be 62 in July and you have introduced me to a concept with which I had no prior familiarity, but will certainly keep in mind going forward. You could very well be totally correct, the realization of which would, in turn, put me among those who get it. Until then...
You would have to ask the question to the committee and see if there is an answer. Many of us have had discussions off line as we have all heard about the reasons Parker was left off the team, but because there is no official statement, we cannot post what we have know on the BY.

BTW I don't believe I ever came out and stated that talent should be "secondary" when choosing players for the Olympic team, but also, I would say with 100% certainty that raw talent is only 1 factor in choosing the TEAM.

Reaction Score
I am so tired of hearing the Parker vs Olympic team debate..... even I know this is off season and ripe for this sort of drawn out laborious discussion.....

I am a Candice fan actually.... i love her game.... but I am not going to pass judgment and place myself in the role of choosing the Olympic team.... I am not behind the door where the discussions take place.... team is chosen by a 12 person committee..... although some say.... and especially many in LV land insist, that it is actually non-committee member Geno who shut the door on CP's being on team.... Who knows!!! But I think it is folly for us fans to insist that we know who should be on the team, who shouldn't..... including absolute barometers..... for instance Candice outscoring Breanna tonight definitively means that she deserves to be on team, and Breanna does not.... social media from Candice showing her dunking a basketball shows her prowess and justifies her talent to be on the team....

Of course, what is bothersome is the next step.... that opinion is in fact, fact, and that leads to Geno's characterization assassination by certain fans..... describing him in unflattering ways I never heard other coaches being described before.... that is wrong on many levels.....

Not being selected .... being "snubbed".... happens all the time.... Charles Barkley was left off the 84 Olympic team coached by Bobby Knight..... if you want to go to the women's game.... to cite one example, Becky Hammon, everyone's golden girl now as asst coach of San Antonio Spurs, was snubbed and left off the 04 Olympic team, forcing her to play for the Russian team. It happens, folks.... and the debate is fine with me..... I just do not like it when criticism and associated character related comments come out on our Olympic coach which cannot be printed or repeated on this forum.

The team has been selected. We must live with it. Good luck on a successful WNBA season. I will be rooting for everyone.

Reaction Score
Coached for over 15 years girl varsity HS. Cut 2 seniors during my tenure. Again, attitude is everything. Neither time was the cut disbuted by the rest of the team.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Yeah - definitely my plan - pick the allstars for the WNBA and the players for the Olympic team based on one game!
I thought Parker looked great in the first half, didn't bother coming out of the locker room until the end of the 3rd Q and had another nice burst of energy. at the start of the 4th Q. I also saw her play about 5 minutes of defense, problem being she was on the floor for a lot longer.
We read the same post above, but seem to have drawn different conclusions. I don't think the OP was basing judgment on one game; I think the point is clarified in the following sentence. You seem to be casting aspersion on Candace's not coming out the locker room until the end of the 3rd Q, as though she is not being a team player; could it be that she had some physical issue that needed attention?:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She is a baller from day 1. Just doing what she does. No motivation needed. She would do the same National team or not. It's in her genes. Go ahead an read into it however. Make for good banter.
She been doing this since 2008... motivation my foot, but rightfully so
60918740.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We read the same post above, but seem to have drawn different conclusions. I don't think the OP was basing judgment on one game; I think the point is clarified in the following sentence. You seem to be casting aspersion on Candace's not coming out the locker room until the end of the 3rd Q, as though she is not being a team player; could it be that she had some physical issue that needed attention?:)
My Q3 comment was that she played in the third quarter but generally seemed disinterested - scored 3 points I believe and allowed three or four drives to the basket while showing minimum defensive effort. She re-energized for the start of the fourth.

You see it every year it seems with pro teams - team wins the champnship, brings in some more talent, and goes out and lays an egg the following year - chemistry and playing for themselves rather than for the team. Red Sox after their last championship are a classic example of a team that completely imploded. The NY Yankees are another pretty much every year.
The issue is not with talent only - everyone in the Olympic pool is supremely talented, it is getting the right mix of skills and teamwork.
FYI - And a classic example is the Ryder Cup - the USA team is always rated much higher than the Europeans, and yet the record in recent years has been pretty miserable. They can seldom play 4 ball or better ball to save their lives.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Amen, ucmiami.

Picking the Olympic team anytime after the start of the WNBA season is possibly the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Great idea for an All Star game but a disaster in the making for an international tournament team needing to be prepared with virtually no practice time between now and the Olympics. You need a team at this point that has chemistry, trusts each other and is committed to team goals. As it is there is barely two weeks for the team to practice as a unit from July 23rd to August 5th including travel to Brazil. And there would be the same questions as at the moment with dissent right in the middle of the prep and event if selection was delayed. The results would likely be a nightmare.

With the team already selected well before the start of the season and with unit cohesiveness established as a parameter there is time in those two weeks to clean up rather than establish roles and system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom