Scott Drew passes on UK | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Scott Drew passes on UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s his agent he said as much on the Pat McAfee show. He has more leverage to make a shopping list if he does not make any statements. These are smart business people if Danny has a wish list of things he wants that has to be discussed and finalized. I am not just talking his contract. It takes a lot of resources to run college basketball. We should be thanking squid for creating a situation where our coach, potentially the greatest of the current generation now has all the leverage he needs to get whatever foundational blocks he needs to create a dynasty.

This situation is putting the best coach in the country in a position to set this program up for the next decade. The school will have a hard time not giving him everything he is asking for. Now that may not be the best thing for the school financially but selfishly I will just accept that it is the best thing for the basketball program if Danny is driving it.

We need the attention as a sport. Kentucky really only has one viable option left that at least saves them some face. Hire Dawn Staley or offer her the job. Although she might say no and that would be even worse for them. But if they paid her $8M a year that would have to be at least 2X what she is making. So they have a shot at her saying yes.
Well said regarding Hurley. I think this is the most viable reason.
As for Staley, it would sure make a statement and KY fans will get their wish (kind of)- A great coach that would no doubt surpass UConn's dominance in the headlines, until next March at least.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't want to want to go into semantics but since I respect you @Kemba15

just my opinion, He doesn't need to release a statement but for some reason, his "no" was not the level of no that nate oats gave. They completely stopped talking about nate oats, even though he would be almost as much a grand slam hire as danny. So there is a difference in the level of 'no'.

Man, I don't like the way I sound right now.
Hurley mentioned in one interview that his agent wasnt happy with him for immediately dismissing the idea of kentucky, this is because he's currently negotiating and of course would want the leverage.

Its as simple as that.

Reaction Score
Look I don't think he's going. But if Kentucky gets really desperate who knows. I don't think he leaves if we bump his pay to 8m and they offer 11 or 12. But if they offer something like 15 guaranteed for 8 years? Is it worth the hassle at that point?
Nick Saban turned down Alabama. They then tired to hire RichRod, but he publicly backed out in a very embarrassing way. Desperate, Alabama came back to Saban with an even more lucrative offer, and he took it.

That's the danger here. Money, desperation, humiliation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's not even the worst of it. Go see what they're saying about coaches families and "women" on rupp rafters.
Here's an example
blIbEKa.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So, to summarize:

Scott Drew will not be the next Kentucky men’s bb coach.

Neither will O. J. Simpson
Even though the factual content appeared several posts earlier, I will remember this as how I learned the news of OJ's death.

This is why comedy writers so often work in teams.

Reaction Score
Oh boy, we really are gonna be spending an arm and a leg to keep Hurley aren't we

Reaction Score
Kentucky fans are yearning for the time when Kentucky reignedI supreme. They can't get over that those glory days of the original Blue Bloods are over and UConn is the new Blue Blood.

"Glory Days" by the Boss would be an appropriate theme song for KY now.

Reaction Score
Here's an example
blIbEKa.png
I didn't really want to post it here. They've also got guys sticking up for known abuser Chris Beard so it's pretty obvious what they think about women. I feel bad for all the women in their lives.

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for Kentucky to introduce Ed Cooley as their new head coach.

Seriously, how much bloom is off the rose of the HC job at Kentucky. I think they relied on Calipari's name for too long and he didn't deliver.
I've never been there, but I've heard while the dorms are nice for the players, the facilities are behind the times, by about 2 decades.

Reaction Score
There should be requirements for maintaining Blueblood status -- perhaps one natty within the last 10 years? And maybe there should be a designation that's higher than Blueblood. Of course, UConn would be the only school to meet such a lofty standard.
I have been thinking that for quite a while. Looking directly at you, UCLA. Your last title was 30 years ago? And most of your titles were actually 50+ years ago, when the size of the tournament was 8 or 16 teams, and only one team permitted per conference? Sorry, the phrase "The King is Dead" is on the tip of my tongue

Reaction Score
There is a way to stop your private charter flight from being tracked if you want to do that. I happen to have some experience with that. Unfortunately not my plane, but somebody I know very well.
Well then why didn’t u fly the kids to Phoenix last week??:D

Reaction Score
It’s his agent he said as much on the Pat McAfee show. He has more leverage to make a shopping list if he does not make any statements. These are smart business people if Danny has a wish list of things he wants that has to be discussed and finalized. I am not just talking his contract. It takes a lot of resources to run college basketball. We should be thanking squid for creating a situation where our coach, potentially the greatest of the current generation now has all the leverage he needs to get whatever foundational blocks he needs to create a dynasty.

This situation is putting the best coach in the country in a position to set this program up for the next decade. The school will have a hard time not giving him everything he is asking for. Now that may not be the best thing for the school financially but selfishly I will just accept that it is the best thing for the basketball program if Danny is driving it.

We need the attention as a sport. Kentucky really only has one viable option left that at least saves them some face. Hire Dawn Staley or offer her the job. Although she might say no and that would be even worse for them. But if they paid her $8M a year that would have to be at least 2X what she is making. So they have a shot at her saying yes.
Dawn Staley. Now that would be truly hilarious.

Reaction Score
Bruce Pearl is the guy. Carpetbagger who's sleazy and chases the money like no one else.

Reaction Score
I definitely do not think Hurley is going there, but I just don't like a job like that floating around with that much money and desperation. Because sometimes someone who is actively being passed are over says they are the ones who rejected.

One thing I learned in this whole situation though is that the UK athletic director is a super-evangelical. I can't imagine him wanting someone like Hurley if that's true, or, more precisely, I can't imagine Jersey City wanting to work with him. Still hopefully UK hires Mark Pope and we move on.
Drew won a national championship in 2021. It was definitely his decision to reject them. Their desperation probably freaked him out.

Reaction Score
They’re tracking a flight into LGA now. Is that Rick Pitino’s music?

Reaction Score
There is a way to stop your private charter flight from being tracked if you want to do that. I happen to have some experience with that. Unfortunately not my plane, but somebody I know very well.
So why was Elon Musk up in arms about some college kid tracking his flights and willing to pay to make it stop? Same work Swift if I recall. Shouldn't be legal to be able to do that.

Reaction Score
They’re tracking a flight into LGA now. Is that Rick Pitino’s music?
What's amazing about the flight tracking is it's been noted that athletic departments usually aren't stupid enough to make plane tracking this obvious and they find creative ways to get around it like flying to different airports and using different planes...but Kentucky seems to just not care. Maybe it's different with conference realignment v a head coach search but it's funny how easy this has been track in real time.

Reaction Score
So far UK got 3 coaches a raise. Oates, Drew, Hurley. Who’s next to use Kentucky?

Reaction Score
So far UK got 3 coaches a raise. Oates, Drew, Hurley. Who’s next to use Kentucky?
Hurley shouldn’t need fear of losing him to open jobs to get his. He’s a HOF coach with B2B Nattys. Thats damn sure enough.

The school can find the money. Fire half the English department. Hell, fire the president as well for all the good she does.

Reaction Score
I don't inderstand why Abdur-Rahim from USF isn't a candidate for this or other jobs. He's a rising star and young. They deserve to get Pitino or Bruce Pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom