Scholarship Roster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Scholarship Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's my 85 ( or 84 if Justin Wain is indeed a walkon) scholly list... true soon to be frosh are italicized and underlined:

QB (4)
Bryant Shirreffs
Garrett Anderson
Tyler Davis
D. Williams

RB / FB (6)
Arkeel Newsome
Ron Johnson
Josh Marriner
Nate Hopkins
J. Vickers

WR (8)
Noel Thomas
Tyraiq Beals
Hergy Mayala
Brian Lemelle
Aaron McLean
Frank Battle
K. Dixon
Q. Skanes

Centers/LS (5)
Ryan Crozier
Brendan Vechery
Daniel Oak
Kyle Bockeloh
N. Zecchino

Offensive Tackle (7)
Andreas Knappe
Richard Levy
Steve Hashemi
Bryan Cespedes
N. Leone,
C. DeGeorge
N. Brouse

Guard (4)
Tommy Hopkins
Trey Rutherford
Tom Tabur
Kyle Schafenacker

Tight End (7)
Tommy Myers
Alec Bloom
Chris Lee
Zordan Holman
Billy Williams
Ian Campbell
J. Rose
AJ Garson

DT/NT (7)
Folorunso Fatukasi
Mikal Myers
Felton Blackwell
David Ryslik
Sean Marinan
Sheriden Lawley
Kevin Murphy

DE (7)
Luke Carrezola <--seems more like a DE than LB to me.
Cole Ormsby
Cameron Stapleton
Philippe Okounam
Connor Freeborn
James Atkins
Dallas Parker

Linebacker (12)
Matthew Walsh
E.J. Levenberry
Junior Joseph
Jon Hicks
Vontae Diggs
Omaine Stephens
Chris Britton
Jalen Stevens
William Richardson
Nazir Williams
R. Gilmartin

CB (8)
Jamar Summers
Jhavon Williams
Javon Hadley
John Green
Brice McAllister
John Robinson IV
T. Herring

S (6)
Obi Melifonwu
Ellis Marder
Aaron Garland
Marshé Terry
Anthony Watkins
T. Coyle
E. Hahn

K/P (3)
Bobby Puyol
Michael Tarbutt
Justin Wain (walk- on???)
Brett Graham
Garson has been said to be brought in to play LB.

Reaction Score
Anyone want to take a crack at the starting OLine out the gate next season? I haven't been following the redshirt guys too closely but is anyone confident hat group can turn it around? They're the key.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Anyone want to take a crack at the starting OLine out the gate next season? I haven't been following the redshirt guys too closely but is anyone confident hat group can turn it around? They're the key.
Just a guess:

LT - Levy (but Peart slowly gets worked into the lineup)
LG - Hopkins
C - Crozier
RG - winner of Vechery/Cespedes (only due to Hashemi redshirting)
RT - Knappe (with Rutherford redshirting)

With this the line will be improved from prior years but still one year away from being fully where we want it. The ability to redshirt those who have not yet redshirted (including incoming freshman), another year of development for those who will still be around in 2017, a full offseason with (a healthy) Cummings and another recruiting class should put us on course after this upcoming season where our offensive line will be solid year after year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Where did you hear that news? Didn't know he was moving on from football. There goes experienced depth at safety.

There was an opposing poster who came through a few months ago. He said the University of Houston invented and subscribed to a certain philosophy, whereby if a starter or key rotation player got hurt or was otherwise unavailable, they expect their replacements to perform at a high level as well.

I think he called it, "Next Man Up."

I don't know much other than that. I'm pretty foggy on the details. Then Cougars are smaht. We New Englanders could never ever have heard of such a concept.

Reaction Score
Cespedes looked like a huge project when watching his high school stuff. Have we heard anything about his progress? Sounds like a reach to think he will compete for time this early in his career.

Peart has been talked up a ton. I have to think he starts at LT. Levy is one of the teams 5 best linemen, just think he is out of position at LT. Samra was our worst starter but Knappe was a very close second. How about moving Levy to RT and let Knappe come in as an extra blocker when needed?

Reaction Score
Just a guess:

LG - Hopkins
C - Crozier

With this the line will be improved from prior years but still one year away from being fully where we want it. The ability to redshirt those who have not yet redshirted (including incoming freshman), another year of development for those who will still be around in 2017, a full offseason with (a healthy) Cummings and another recruiting class should put us on course after this upcoming season where our offensive line will be solid year after year.

Unless you've heard something concrete, there is no shot that Rutherford redshirts, and very little chance of Hashemi.

Reaction Score
Just a guess:

LG - Hopkins
C - Crozier

Yeah. There is 0.0 % chance that either Hashemi or Rutherford RS barring injury. Both of them will be on 2 deep or involved with special teams at the least. When you have reached that point you don't get RS in your JR or SR year unless there are some very uncommon and unexpected circumstances and usually involving 1 year transfers and usually involving positions that only 1 guy starts such as QB or RB. Both Hashemi and Rutherford, especially Rutherford will push to be in the game day rotation. I would say both are probably ahead of Cespedes and close if not equal with Vechery. Even if Vechery is given the job they will rotate in and play special teams.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Cespedes looked like a huge project when watching his high school stuff. Have we heard anything about his progress? Sounds like a reach to think he will compete for time this early in his career.

Peart has been talked up a ton. I have to think he starts at LT. Levy is one of the teams 5 best linemen, just think he is out of position at LT. Samra was our worst starter but Knappe was a very close second. How about moving Levy to RT and let Knappe come in as an extra blocker when needed?
in regards to cespedes I have the same thoughts, someone brought his name up a few weeks back and said he had apparently put on a ton of really good weight but im not sure how well he has progressed with his technique, it will be interesting to see where he is come spring.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yeah. There is 0.0 % chance that either Hashemi or Rutherford RS barring injury. Both of them will be on 2 deep or involved with special teams at the least. When you have reached that point you don't get RS in your JR or SR year unless there are some very uncommon and unexpected circumstances and usually involving 1 year transfers and usually involving positions that only 1 guy starts such as QB or RB. Both Hashemi and Rutherford, especially Rutherford will push to be in the game day rotation. I would say both are probably ahead of Cespedes and close if not equal with Vechery. Even if Vechery is given the job they will rotate in and play special teams.
Solely my personal opinion but unless Rutherford is clearly ahead of Knappe at RT, it doesn't make sense to once again burn his redshirt. He'll be a one year starter in that case. The same can be said of Hashemi and one of the guard positions. We should also have enough bodies by now where neither would be needed on special teams.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I believe Peart will be a quality LT in time but it isn't a position someone can step into as a RS freshman and play at a high level. I believe he will see some time but more so for his development for when he does take over than that he would be better at LT than Levy in 2016. Also, we need to keep in mind that Diaco was saying the same things about Oak (as a center) in 2014 as he was saying about Peart last year. On this level BD seems to have some Jim Calhoun in him (I remember JC praising Justin Brown many years ago).

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I believe Peart will be a quality LT in time but it isn't a position someone can step into as a RS freshman and play at a high level. I believe he will see some time but more so for his development for when he does take over than that he would be better at LT than Levy in 2016. Also, we need to keep in mind that Diaco was saying the same things about Oak (as a center) in 2014 as he was saying about Peart last year. On this level BD seems to have some Jim Calhoun in him (I remember JC praising Justin Brown many years ago).
I have a feeling that Peart begins the season on the 2-deep and is a starter before the midway point. I'd love to eat my words if Knappe could round out his game and Levy become more consistent.

Reaction Score
Solely my personal opinion but unless Rutherford is clearly ahead of Knappe at RT, it doesn't make sense to once again burn his redshirt. He'll be a one year starter in that case. The same can be said of Hashemi and one of the guard positions. We should also have enough bodies by now where neither would be needed on special teams.

Even if they are backups they are going to trust them those two over the younger guys as both of those players have been on the field now for two full years in the system. If the younger players already give you more or equal value than there is no point in RS anyway. You use the redshirts early predominately to either bulk guys up who can't hang physically or get them adapted to the playbook. Both of those players don't fit that bill. And its not even a guarantee that either of those guys wants to stick around for a fifth year to play (ala Marder). I fully expect Rutherford to compete for the second guard spot and if not be a rotational player. Hashemi will get time somewhere as well. No sense in RS them now. Plus this is the year, thats been in the making all horses in the races, you are not stabling one for the future right now.

Reaction Score
Don't know if I missed the thread on this one. But did everyone check out the updates to the roster?

Some interesting notes.

Ian Campbell moved to OL from TE.
Aaron Garland moved to SS from CB.
Connor Freeborn moved to LB from DE.?????? (Not sure that wasn't the case last year)
David Ryslik moved to DL from OL.....(Not sure about this one either....Might have been done last year or I had it wrong somehow)
Dallas Parker to DE from LB.
Brice McAllister to S from CB.
position is now being recognized by: Zordan Holman, Billy Williams.....(I assume when he gets here... Jay Rose too?)
Note also the TE still exists with Tommy Myers and Alec Bloom and Nicholas Lesander there.

Reaction Score
I have us at 87, I wonder where we differ.

I dont want to type all the names in, but heres what i have by the numbers...

QB- 4
HB- 5
TE/F- 8
WR- 8
OL- 14

DL- 13
LB- 13
DB- 15

K- 2
P- 2
LS- 1

Thats 85, then add the 4 (Rishell, Marinan, Thompson, Vitale) for 89

EDIT: Had to adjust some numbers after i read post #66

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My guess:

I think they start out something like this:

LT: Richard Levy
LG: Thomas Hopkins
C: Ryan Crozier
RG: Trey Rutherford OR Brandon Vechery OR Daniel Oak
RT: Andreas Knappe

I think it will be a fight between those three for the last guard spot. I think the others at least at first are going to hold everyone else off based on experience and the fact that they progressed last year even if it was as much as everyone would have liked.

I think next up to get some time are:

The two not starting between Rutherford, Vech, and Oak.
LT: Matthew Peart (Rave reviews) I think he gets rotational time regardless but maybe starts on the two deep.
RT: Steve Hashemi
C/G: Kyle Bockeloh

Reaction Score
I dont want to type all the names in, but heres what i have by the numbers...

QB- 4
HB- 5
TE- 8
WR- 8
OC- 3
OG- 5
OT- 6

DT- 6
DE- 7
LB- 13
CB- 8
S- 7

K- 2
P- 2
LS- 1

Thats 85, then add the 4 (Rishell, Marinan, Thompson, Vitale) for 89

Who are the 8 TEs?

I only have 5 now that Lee and Campbell went to OL...... If you have both of them I'm still missing one there.

EDIT Nevermind I bet it is Parker who went to DE.

Reaction Score
Who are the 8 TEs?

I only have 5 now that Lee and Campbell went to OL. If you have both of them I'm still missing one there.

EDIT Nevermind I bet it is Parker who went to DE.

I didnt see that Lee and Campbell are at OL now. Is that for sure ???

At TE I had:
Bloom
Myers
Lee
Williams
Holman
Campbell
Hartwick
Rose

Reaction Score
OK, i just went to the roster page and saw the updates.

They still have Lee at TE and Garland at Safety

I must have missed something...what happened to TE Hartwick ???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, i just went to the roster page and saw the updates.

They still have Lee at TE and Garland at Safety

I must have missed something...what happened to TE Hartwick ???

Hartwick was never on the team. He committed briefly. Tore his ACL. Was considering being grey shirted and coming up in the spring. Did a year at Prep instead, I believe, then reopened his recruitment, then committed to...........hmmmm maybe monmouth. not sure about monmouth...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hartwick was never on the team. He committed briefly. Tore his ACL. Was considering being grey shirted and coming up in the spring. Did a year at Prep instead, I believe, then reopened his recruitment, then committed to......hmmmm maybe monmouth. not sure about monmouth...

Thanks. I have no idea how i missed that. Our numbers are still off by 1 I think.

Reaction Score
OK, i figured a few things out here. According to the 016 Spring Roster
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/conn-m-footbl-mtt.html

Marriner is gone
Bockeloh is gone
Branford is gone
Bedell (walk-on LS) is gone. - not really relevant to this conversation, but interesting because we now only have Frosh Zecchino to LS -

Now, with the 3 scholly departures, we have (according to my spreadsheet, which has been proven wrong often) 85 Scholarship players.

The only thing i'm not 100% on is Richmond Williams. He's a walk-on correct ???

WOW...that was a massive undertaking :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member