SC versus UConn — So, how worried are you? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SC versus UConn — So, how worried are you?

How worried are you about the Huskies v. Roosters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
tumblr_ll90ol85ek1qafrh6.gif

(You can thank me later.)

Reaction Score
I think that with Azure's great improvement from the last time we played them, it will make a big difference against Wilson. I am pretty confident that we will get to the final four because of this.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Wilson is a great player, but I am just as sick of her as I was of the "Big 3" that year with Griner, EDD and Skylar. I get that they are trying to promote WCBB and make these women household names, and I appreciate it! I really do! But it seems like they picked the A'ja storyline before the season started and have just stuck with it, no matter what. Again, she had a fine season, and USC would be nothing without her this year. But there are other names - Ionescu, McCowen and Vivians, Durr, and yes, a few UConn players, that I feel have not been promoted the same way, for whatever reason.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Do you realize how bad UConn has to play to loose to SC. First they have to get into really bad foul trouble quickly. If not they will have to shoot the ball terribly and SC doesnt have the defense to keep UConn under 75 pts. Even on a good day SC wont score 70 pts against UConn. One other point SC is pretty much a one man team and we can and have proven we can slow Wilson down. If SC isnt hitting their shots early this game is over early

Reaction Score
GC, I can't and won't attempt to speak for everyone or anyone. This is just one fan's opinion, but......I think the "sniping" as you call it at A'ja is because of the constant references by others (Dawn/Holly Rowe, and other members of the pre/post game TV broadcast media) that she is the best player in WCBB this year. To some folks, it does make a difference what others think, especially if it differs from theirs. Remember, here in the yard, we "snip" at each other, so outsiders and players on other teams are definitely fair game.

There also may be a little hostility left over by some for her snubbing UConn, and staying home. The staff wanted her bad. Just like they wanted Asia Durr, Lauren Cox, Arike Ogunbowale, Charli Collier etc, but, it wasn't meant to be. There are some here in the yard that think Katie Lou Samuelson is a better player than Wilson, in spite of the fact that Wilson got 32 first place votes for AA, and Lou got 30. It depends on one's perspective. We're UConn fans so of course we're going to be jaded/biased in our way of thinking. Personally I do believe that Wilson is a very good player, and deserves the recognition she received as a unanimous AA this year.

She did lead her team to a NC last year, however, I don't think she's the best player in Division 1, far from it. Personally, I'm more impressed with Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State) than I am with Wilson. I think Wilson's name comes up in the conversation, but that's it. I think she will be the first player taken in the WNBA draft in a couple of weeks, unless Las Vegas Aces coach Bill Laimbeer has made a deal, or has other plans. There are other players coming out that could also help his team THIS year. Conventional wisdom says he takes Wilson.

Tip in - I also don't think South Carolina could beat any team left in the tournament. :)

Didn't SC just beat MSU in convincing fashion a few weeks ago?

Reaction Score
UConn will win this game, and will do so handily. But that is only the first of two declarative statements I will offer about the game, and, I'm sad to say, the more I read our forum the more controversial the second is than the first: Whichever team emerges victorious, ITWILLNOTBEBECAUSEOFTHEREFEREES!! There, I said it! However, I do think that made and missed shots will play a big role, as will turnovers, defensive aggressiveness, relative free throw proficiency, rebounding edge, that sort of thing. But that's just me...

Reaction Score
I agree with this poster completely. I believe the injuries to our three starters may play a factor. Their talent has been amazing and they have overcome the impact of these nagging to serious injuries. A breakout game by A'ja Wilson could spell the difference. I've been excited and nervous since the DukeDuke . I'm on the treadmill right now trying to work off some of those nerves before the game. It'll be an amazing one. Gino and his teams do not lose the final they can be had in the final four or the Elite 8. Should be a good game.
I voted somewhat worried, a loss can happen. I can’t get over last year. This year’s team has quarters where we’re incredible and others, not so great. Yes we’re 34-0. And if we play our A or B+ game we win...no matter how SC plays. But stuff can happen. How healthy is Danger? Gabby’s hip. Z didn’t look good against Buffalo. I expect us to win, but a bit worried.

Reaction Score
what's shocking is the strong support for Oregon. Not surprising, but shocking in that the secret is out: this is the dark horse team of the tournament. Like when D was playing, with Ionescu on the court, it's never smart to bet against her.
Am so hoping O wins this game....a Nurse vs Ionescu match up would be must see tv

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Many think tonight is going to be a relatively easy game and So Carolina has no chance. That's also what most of us thought when facing Miss St in last years Final Four. We know what happened in that game. UConn the team with experience came out tight and didn't play their usual game. I think tonights game is going to be tougher then many expect, because like Miss St, So Carolina has something to prove. A'ja if she doesn't get into foul trouble will have a good game and she'll be trying to carry her team back to the Final Four. On Saturday, I believed UConn easily wins. The closer we get to the game and seeing how loose the So Carolina players are, a little doubt is creeping in. Still predicting a UConn win, maybe by single digits.

Just looked at the poll results, and a loss is possible, exceeds all other choice.

Reaction Score
Do you realize how bad UConn has to play to loose to SC. First they have to get into really bad foul trouble quickly. If not they will have to shoot the ball terribly and SC doesnt have the defense to keep UConn under 75 pts. Even on a good day SC wont score 70 pts against UConn. One other point SC is pretty much a one man team and we can and have proven we can slow Wilson down. If SC isnt hitting their shots early this game is over early

We've scored less than 75 points in 4 out of the last 5 games, against teams much worse than SC.

You're probably right about the other side of the ball, but our offense has not been firing on all cylinders for some time (St. Francis notwithstanding).

I expect a game in the 60's, where a few shots rimming in or out, or a few bad calls, could be the difference.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Didn't SC just beat MSU in convincing fashion a few weeks ago?

Yes, but strange things can happen. Remember the year (2013 I believe without looking) Notre Dame played UConn 3 times prior to the NCAA tournament and won all three, but lost big to them in a 4th game in the final four three weeks later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We've scored less than 75 points in 4 out of the last 5 games, against teams much worse than SC.

You're probably right about the other side of the ball, but our offense has not been firing on all cylinders for some time (St. Francis notwithstanding).

I expect a game in the 60's, where a few shots rimming in or out, or a few bad calls, could be the difference.
All this just means we're due!

Reaction Score
Double digit win. Not concerned at all. Primarily a Men's fan but I am eagerly looking forward to tonight's game.

Reaction Score
Note to ESPN and others .......winning the second half means absolutlty nothing. It's called managing the game by the winning team. Go Huskies!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Who wants to count how many times the announcers refer to A'ja as either the Best Player in America or the probable NPOY???

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In order to win tonight UConn must play with pace in the offensive end. No stagnant possessions. Collier and Gabby have to continue to have the exceptional games they usually have against this team. Lou needs to score, but she also will need to facilitate, rebound, be perpetual motion on offense, and pass well. Even if Crystal's injuries force her to play less minutes UConn can win if they force SCar into a goodly amount of TO's on the perimeter and make SCar have empty possessions on offense. Hopefully this will be more like last game, but I think it will be closer. Dominance would be nice though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes, but strange things can happen. Remember the year (2013 I believe without looking) Notre Dame played UConn 3 times prior to the NCAA tournament and won all three, but lost big to them in a 4th game in the final four themes later.
Can't forget.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
60/40 percent confident vs. worried, ignoring the neutral fence straddlers (No. 4).

Go Huskies! Double digit win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom