SC versus UConn — So, how worried are you? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SC versus UConn — So, how worried are you?

How worried are you about the Huskies v. Roosters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson more susceptible to foul trouble than any UCONN player. Should UCONN encounter foul trouble, UCONN can bring two players off the bench that would be better than 4 of the South Carolina starters.

wait a second................you know that Wilson gets pretty much free reign under the basket.................you so much as breathe on her and the refs call a foul.................for her to get into foul trouble tonight she'll have to hit Gabby over the head with a hammer................several times...........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am WORRIED. SC is the National Champ until somebody takes them down. They beat MSST fair and square in the SEC tournament. They are the SEC champ not MSST. I have a feeling that MSST will lose to Louisville. It will not be even a close game. If we play our B game like we played vs Duke, we are done. If we play our A game then we have the advantage. This is the tournament, a FF ticket is at stake, SURVIVE AND ADVANCE!!!

Reaction Score
There is one way UConn could lose. Now mind you I actually had this dream. I was very glad when I woke up and I was only dreaming.

In my dream UConn was not playing that well and at half Geno sent out only one player and the team remained in the locker room even until after the game started. The other team took out the ball - 5 against 1 and went down and scored. Because there was no one to throw the ball in there was a delay of game. (Mind you, this was a dream... I have no idea if any of this could even happen.) They gave UConn 3 minutes to show up and at the very last second they came out of the locker room. I was in the crowd and as soon as they appeared all of the UConn fans, aware that the game was about to be forfeited began to applaud so the refs knew that the team had appeared. Then they came out to sit on the bench but there were extra players. Some of the players were wearing hoodies tied up around their face so you couldn't really tell who they were. The fans were guessing that Geno was going to try to play the cheerleaders. The last thought I had before I was blessedly awakened was, "Wow, the fans care more about UConn winning than Geno does." (Which I think might be true during the regular season but not in March.)

So, despite my vote of "we got this" my subconscious is saying there is a way to lose.

Reaction Score
If she played for UConn she would have left in December of her Freshman Year.

I humbly disagree.

She is emotionally tough enough to deal with dyslexia. Physically, she has the strength of a center, the agility of a forward, and an outside shot.

If she had played at UConn, she would have become exponentially more skilled; and, I think, would be on a par with the best players on the team this year (except for Super Woman.)

Dawn said is so well about what can happen to a player who buys into Geno's spell.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I humbly disagree.

She is emotionally tough enough to deal with dyslexia. Physically, she has the strength of a center, the agility of a forward, and an outside shot.

If she had played at UConn, she would have become exponentially more skilled; and, I think, would be on a par with the best players on the team this year (except for Super Woman.)

Dawn said is so well about what can happen to a player who buys into Geno's spell.

I respect that opinon; but it's mine that A'ja's personality would have clashed mightily with UConn's program.

Reaction Score
Its time for the guards Dangerfield & Nurse to step up and push the pace & ball movement. Poor guard play cost us a title last year. Cant let it happen again.

Reaction Score
The primary key to this game for the Huskies is the team bus driver doesn't get lost on the way to the arena. Of all the "elite" teams that stand in UConn's potential pathway to #12, SC poses the least threat. Geno is relatively unchallenged when it comes to designing game plans to take a given player out of her rhythm, which is why A'ja, talented though she is, has never had a big game against his teams. If A'ja is denied a big game, as she always is against the Huskies, the Gamecocks cannot win. If she had a more formidable supporting cast, offering Geno greater dilemmas in deciding what elements of this particular opponent's game to take away, it might be different. But she doesn't, and neither does he!

Reaction Score
So the experts pick UConn across the board. I'll join them. I also think this is the year ND advances to the FF (what do I know, I thought UCLA had a real chance of beating MS too). They've been doing more with less all year. If they were going to lose, they've have done it by now. They're resilient. If they go down, they're going down hard. They've almost forgotten how to lose. That said, it would not break my heart to see them lose. I will be watching that game.

UConn wins this game IF.....they do what they've been doing all year, and ALL of the core 7 players show up, and come to play!!! They've played SC once already this year in Columbus, they know how to beat them. Don't let Wilson beat you. UConn knows how to keep her at bay. Make one of the other players step up.

Geno has been getting his team ready for this game since October. He should be done coaching at this point. All he should be doing is managing the game. If the core 7 don't know what to do by now, they never will. A SC poster suggested that at some point SC will beat UConn. "At some point", they probably will, but not tonight. UConn wins by double digits. Praise the Lord and go dawgs. :)
Agree with almost all you've said in this post! The only slight difference I see is its a core 6! MW likely will not play or contribute significantly unless someone's in foul trouble or hurt.
Agree that they will win by double digits or more!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I am WORRIED. SC is the National Champ until somebody takes them down. They beat MSST fair and square in the SEC tournament. They are the SEC champ not MSST. I have a feeling that MSST will lose to Louisville. It will not be even a close game. If we play our B game like we played vs Duke, we are done. If we play our A game then we have the advantage. This is the tournament, a FF ticket is at stake, SURVIVE AND ADVANCE!!!
I think when the one compares scores from playing a common opponent, that's problematic. So much of team sports and as much or more in wcbb is match ups. You are also comparing two seasons with different teams each with some pluses and minuses.
Yes SC beat MS, but that's in many ways because Jones is significantly better than McGowan. Against mostly Gabby she has to deal with speed, quickness and athleticism on both ends of the court. When AZ is in she is more mobile than Jones and essential same height.
We will still win if we play our B game and still it won't be a nail biter. We have two significant gains from last year in AZ & CD. Both SC & MS had more losses than gains. Also psychologically U Conn knows how it felt to lose. Especially Gabby & Kia, also KLS and Pheesa, are much more prepared this year.
I think you are a bit overly anxious! Yes, we could lose but a lot of bad things have to happen for us and a lot of good things for them!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I have to say the constant sniping at A’Ja Wilson is the thing I understand the least about this board.

I sort of get not loving Dawn or being upset about a championship that you don’t believe was deserved but what earthly difference to you does it make that people think A’ja Wilson is really good. She’s demonstrably an excellent player. Is having a UConn player be the darling of awards season that important to you?

For the record I largely agree with the analysis of South Carolina’s chances vs UConn. They are slim.

Harris will have to look to score more and continue hitting a high percentage of shots, Bianca Jackson will need to have the kind of game that she had vs UConn before plus the SECT, have to get good Cliney and good Jennings and it still might not be enough.

Cannot turn it over more than 113-14 times or be out rebounded.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree with almost all you've said in this post! The only slight difference I see is its a core 6! MW likely will not play or contribute significantly unless someone's in foul trouble or hurt.
Agree that they will win by double digits or more!
Bronx23

I included Walker because she will be needed if Dangerfield can't give more than 20-25 mins, or someone gets in early foul trouble. Saturday, Dangerous played 29 minutes, and was relatively ineffective (6 pts, 3 ast, 4 stls). I believe it was because of her on-going injury. IF she's able to give Geno 33 minutes or more, then I don't expect to see Walker at all, until the game has been decided. Since I have no way of knowing her current state of health, I'm including Walker because things don't always go as planned.

Reaction Score
This is OT but something you touched upon that I don't understand. I am guessing here but I believe that when the regular season ended, Lou led the nation in 3 point field goal percentage. But seeing that she played 3 games in the AAC tournament and now in the NCAAs, her % has gone down. Why should tournament play affect the regular season stats? It doesn't seem fair. Especially if the person in 2nd place plays for a team that plays 1 game in a tournament and doesn't make it to the NCAAs. Their stats might not even be affected. Not fair.

Stepping down from the soap box.

Katie Lou - my NPOY.

You don't have to guess, I already told you that she lead the nation in 3-pt shooting percentage at the end of the regular season. However, stats continue throughout "the season" which includes tournament play. A small example, when they post a team's win/loss record, it's for the season ... the entire season.

Katie Lou is also my NPOY. :)

PS - She currently ranks 3rd in 3-pt. percentage.

2018 Women's College Basketball Individual Statistics - ESPN

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are in the final week of the season. The season either ends tonight, Friday, or Sunday. If you don't have butterflies in you're tummy at this point I don't know what to tell ya.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have to say the constant sniping at A’Ja Wilson is the thing I understand the least about this board.

I sort of get not loving Dawn or being upset about a championship that you don’t believe was deserved but what earthly difference to you does it make that people think A’ja Wilson is really good. She’s demonstrably an excellent player. Is having a UConn player be the darling of awards season that important to you?

For the record I largely agree with the analysis of South Carolina’s chances vs UConn. They are slim.

Harris will have to look to score more and continue hitting a high percentage of shots, Bianca Jackson will need to have the kind of game that she had vs UConn before plus the SECT, have to get good Cliney and good Jennings and it still might not be enough.

GC, I can't and won't attempt to speak for everyone or anyone. This is just one fan's opinion, but................I think the "sniping" as you call it at A'ja is because of the constant references by others (Dawn/Holly Rowe, and other members of the pre/post game TV broadcast media) that she is the best player in WCBB this year. To some folks, it does make a difference what others think, especially if it differs from theirs. Remember, here in the yard, we "snip" at each other, so outsiders and players on other teams are definitely fair game.

There also may be a little hostility left over by some for her snubbing UConn, and staying home. The staff wanted her bad. Just like they wanted Asia Durr, Lauren Cox, Arike Ogunbowale, Charli Collier etc, but, it wasn't meant to be. There are some here in the yard that think Katie Lou Samuelson is a better player than Wilson, in spite of the fact that Wilson got 32 first place votes for AA, and Lou got 30. It depends on one's perspective. We're UConn fans so of course we're going to be jaded/biased in our way of thinking. Personally I do believe that Wilson is a very good player, and deserves the recognition she received as an AA this year.

She did lead her team to a NC last year, however, I don't think she's the best player in Division 1, far from it. Personally, I'm more impressed with Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State) than I am with Wilson. I think Wilson's name comes up in the conversation, but that's it. I think she will be the first player taken in the WNBA draft in a couple of weeks, unless Las Vegas Aces coach Bill Laimbeer has made a deal, or has other plans. There are other players coming out that could also help his team THIS year. Conventional wisdom says he takes Wilson.

Tip in - I also don't think South Carolina could beat any team left in the tournament. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think when the one compares scores from playing a common opponent, that's problematic. So much of team sports and as much or more in wcbb is match ups. You are also comparing two seasons with different teams each with some pluses and minuses.
Yes SC beat MS, but that's in many ways because Jones is significantly better than McGowan. Against mostly Gabby she has to deal with speed, quickness and athleticism on both ends of the court. When AZ is in she is more mobile than Jones and essential same height.
We will still win if we play our B game and still it won't be a nail biter. We have two significant gains from last year in AZ & CD. Both SC & MS had more losses than gains. Also psychologically U Conn knows how it felt to lose. Especially Gabby & Kia, also KLS and Pheesa, are much more prepared this year.
I think you are a bit overly anxious! Yes, we could lose but a lot of bad things have to happen for us and a lot of good things for them!
Bronx23
Who is Jones?

Reaction Score
I am shocked that many are picking Oregon over ND. Do they think the home court (Oregon much closer to Spokane) will be a factor?

I just don't see newcomer Oregon taking down a team and coach that has gotten to the Final Four regularly over the last decade.
Because it comes down to who has the better team now. The past decade is irrelevant

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
There is one way UConn could lose. Now mind you I actually had this dream. I was very glad when I woke up and I was only dreaming.

In my dream UConn was not playing that well and at half Geno sent out only one player and the team remained in the locker room even until after the game started. The other team took out the ball - 5 against 1 and went down and scored. Because there was no one to throw the ball in there was a delay of game. (Mind you, this was a dream... I have no idea if any of this could even happen.) They gave UConn 3 minutes to show up and at the very last second they came out of the locker room. I was in the crowd and as soon as they appeared all of the UConn fans, aware that the game was about to be forfeited began to applaud so the refs knew that the team had appeared. Then they came out to sit on the bench but there were extra players. Some of the players were wearing hoodies tied up around their face so you couldn't really tell who they were. The fans were guessing that Geno was going to try to play the cheerleaders. The last thought I had before I was blessedly awakened was, "Wow, the fans care more about UConn winning than Geno does." (Which I think might be true during the regular season but not in March.)

So, despite my vote of "we got this" my subconscious is saying there is a way to lose.
Mag, didn't you promise to stop smoking peyote before hitting the sack? I think even Hollywood executives might reject the screenplay as too "outré."

Reaction Score
Mag, didn't you promise to stop smoking peyote before hitting the sack? I think even Hollywood executives might reject the screenplay as too "outré."

probably just a bit of undigested beef...

RE: sniping at A'ja Wilson. Earlier I was not sniping at A'ja Wilson at all. But I am very serious when I say that I would have a very hard time - no, impossible time - in choosing one of our top 6 to trade for A'ja Wilson. Which would I choose? Wilson is one of the best but I like our "team."

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
GC, I can't and won't attempt to speak for everyone or anyone. This is just one fan's opinion, but......I think the "sniping" as you call it at A'ja is because of the constant references by others (Dawn/Holly Rowe, and other members of the pre/post game TV broadcast media) that she is the best player in WCBB this year. To some folks, it does make a difference what others think, especially if it differs from theirs. Remember, here in the yard, we "snip" at each other, so outsiders and players on other teams are definitely fair game.

There also may be a little hostility left over by some for her snubbing UConn, and staying home. The staff wanted her bad. Just like we wanted Asia Durr, Lauren Cox, Arike Ogunbowale, Charli Collier etc, but, it wasn't meant to be. There are some here in the yard that think Katie Lou Samuelson is a better player than Wilson. It depends on one's perspective. We're UConn fans so of course we're going to be jaded/biased in our way of thinking. Personally I do believe that Wilson is a very good player, and deserves recognition as an AA this year.

She did lead her team to a NC last year, however, I don't think she's the best player in Division 1, far from it. Personally, I'm more impressed with Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State) than I am with Wilson. I think Wilson's name comes up in the conversation, but that's it. I think she will be the first player taken in the WNBA draft in a couple of weeks, unless Las Vegas Aces coach Bill Laimbeer has made a deal, or has other plans. There are other players coming out that could also help his team THIS year. Conventional wisdom says he takes Wilson.

Tip in - I also don't think South Carolina could beat any team left in the tournament. :)

A better response than a similar one I was starting to write, thanks for saving me the effort. Only one thing to add:

Gamecockfan77, I guaranty that if you turn it over 113 times, you will lose. :p

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
what's shocking is the strong support for Oregon. Not surprising, but shocking in that the secret is out: this is the dark horse team of the tournament. Like when D was playing, with Ionescu on the court, it's never smart to bet against her.
For what it's worth, Bags, those intrepid souls who actually accept wagers on the game opened Notre Dame as a 3-point favorite.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I humbly disagree.

Not sure enough people here were aware of this revelation made by A'Ja on saturday so I decided to start a separate thread.

Reaction Score
I think Jennings is the X factor. I know we took care of Wilson and Coates in the past, but I have seen an attitude from Jennings I haven't seen before. Just saying.....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For the record, I think that A'ja would have done just fine at UConn, and would not have had any problems with Geno (more than anyone else). I don't see any resemblance between her attitude (which has always seemed very positive and cooperative to me) and that of another former UConn recruiting target whom we have been directed not to criticize in this forum.

I think she probably knew as a high school senior that she would learn more basketball skills at Uconn, but she unselfishly chose to remain in her home state to allow her parents to attend her games, and to help Dawn build a basketball power close to home. You have to respect that kind of decision making.

Reaction Score
I picked choice number 6. However, it is that time of year where a bad shooting game (think the Duke game) coupled with foul trouble could be the Huskies' undoing. This is not the Stewie, Tuck, and Mo team of 2015-2016. They just don't seem to be as locked in as I would like. No complaints about the defense, but the offense has not been quite right. Maybe the defensive effort is taking the legs out from under their jump shots and affecting the motion offense?

If they were to lose I would be disappointed, but not shocked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom