SC Gamecocks off-season, Part 2 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SC Gamecocks off-season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We have to turn a profit when we play a HBCU. Thats why its always a home game

Both UCLA and UGA came to Greensboro to play NCA&T. I'm just saying. Heck, play them at the Coliseum and split the gate.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with going and rooting for the other team?

GO COCKS!
I like Dawn as a player or a coach, what she has done with SC is like what Kim Mulkey did with Baylor, at the time, but her scheduling is way better

Reaction Score
I like Dawn as a player or a coach, what she has done with SC is like what Kim Mulkey did with Baylor, at the time, but her scheduling is way better
Are you friends with Dominique Mahlonga (sp?)

Reaction Score
I think this means Chloe will spend more time in the backcourt than front. Her rebounding from the 3 or 2 could be huge.

I think she spends her time at 3. I don't see her at 2. Even when we go to a 3 guard set, I think it would be 3 others. The following players will be available at the two position:

Available at 2
Poa Poa 1/2
Bree Hall 2/3
Milaysia 1/2
Tessa Johnson 2
Chloe 2/3/4

Availaible at 3:
Bree Hall 2/3
Chloe 2/3/4
Feagan 3/4/5
Watkins 3/4/5
Sahnya Jah 3

If a team presses us, I could see us in-bounding to her and letting her deal the ball of while having the option to dribble out if needed - as a 3. However, her higher dribble makes her more vulnerable to steals when she pus the ball on the floor against guards, BUT she could be a much better 2 than I estimate. Can she defend an opposing 2? We'll see

Reaction Score
I think she spends her time at 3. I don't see her at 2. Even when we go to a 3 guard set, I think it would be 3 others. The following players will be available at the two position:

Available at 2
Poa Poa 1/2
Bree Hall 2/3
Milaysia 1/2
Tessa Johnson 2
Chloe 2/3/4

Availaible at 3:
Bree Hall 2/3
Chloe 2/3/4
Feagan 3/4/5
Watkins 3/4/5
Sahnya Jah 3

If a team presses us, I could see us in-bounding to her and letting her deal the ball of while having the option to dribble out if needed - as a 3. However, her higher dribble makes her more vulnerable to steals when she pus the ball on the floor against guards, BUT she could be a much better 2 than I estimate. Can she defend an opposing 2? We'll see

I was thinking more like in a pinch. Like if any guards got into foul trouble or we needed to go big. I think it’s enough ball handlers to where she doesn’t have to be a primary and her handle is good enough where she can bring it up the floor——but like you I’m in agreement on her high handle. I expect defensively that she will be a work in progress defending guards but I think she could be solid guarding the 3 and in time be able to defend 1-5 before she graduates.

Reaction Score
Just IMO and despite that twitter photo. I think she swings between 3 and 4 (Kitts)

Reaction Score
She’s not a guard at all. IMO. 4/5 is correct. 3 maybe but not her best spot.

Reaction Score
Kitts is 6'2". She is kind of a 3/4 tweener. I doubt she ever plays the 5. We have 4 players taller than her. I haven't seen enough of her ball skills to decide if she is good at the 2 but I doubt she gets time at that position.

Also, FYI Tess is 6'1". She very well could play in the wing too if she can be a 3-pointer threat. It would help prevent guards creeping into the paint to help defend our bigs. The more I think about it, I could see Dawn primarily playing her at the 3 as a freshman and let Hall take over Zia's role.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kitts is 6'2". She is kind of a 3/4 tweener. I doubt she ever plays the 5. We have 4 players taller than her. I haven't seen enough of her ball skills to decide if she is good at the 2 but I doubt she gets time at that position.

Also, FYI Tess is 6'1". She very well could play in the wing too if she can be a 3-pointer threat. It would help prevent guards creeping into the paint to help defend our bigs. The more I think about it, I could see Dawn primarily playing her at the 3 as a freshman and let Hall take over Zia's role.
I always felt Johnson was closer to 5ft11 .Judging this picture-what do you think?

Attachments

• F1-Xt5TacAALJQF.jpg
    F1-Xt5TacAALJQF.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 65
Reaction Score
My inference of Chloe’s position didn’t just come out of thin air. She herself said she anticipates playing on the perimeter more this year and she’s been working out with the guards since she join the team last December. Some of you are going off what position she played in the U19 but that’s solely what role USA needed her for. She hasn’t played much 4 at USC yet and while I do think she does get time there, naturally with her skillset, Dawn will use her to stretch the defense and create problems from the perimeter. She’s far from a 4/5 that’s basically a Post and she’s not that. 3/4 yes and that’s considered a Wing or Stretch 4. Her player comparison is a DeWanna Bonner/Katie Lou Samuelson/Breanna Stewart type player. While they can play the 4 naturally they’re better facing the basket and working around the perimeter.

Besides Jah has been working with the Bigs since she arrived on campus. With an 11 player roster I doubt 6 of them will be true forwards with only 5 guards. I see 6 Guard/Wings and 5 Forwards/Posts.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Kitts is not a 4/5, that’s basically A’ja Wilson. LA barely played 5 at SC and she was way stronger and physically more imposing than Kitts. Kitts will never sniff the 5 at SC unless there’s some plan to put 5 wings or 6’1-6’3 players on the floor at once.

Kitts is a prototype 3/4 or stretch 4 player. I agree with @SCspur on the WNBA comps too.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Also, Tessa being 6’1 would be a pleasant surprise. I always thought she was close to 6’0 based off of watching her during the McDAAG. She looked stronger than a lot of the other guards at the games too. Foot speed is her main area for growth right now, but if she really is closer to 6’1 then she’s going to be a fine big guard at SC.. she can flat out shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
Also, Tessa being 6’1 would be a pleasant surprise. I always thought she was close to 6’0 based off of watching her during the McDAAG. She looked stronger than a lot of the other guards at the games too. Foot speed is her main area for growth right now, but if she really is closer to 6’1 then she’s going to be a fine big guard at SC.. she can flat out shoot the ball.
lol..she aint 6ft1..more like 5ft11

Reaction Score
@triaddukefan When the Gamecock Hoard rolls into Durham this december-are you hosting a hospitality space for us? We have refined dining taste in Carolina so we are looking for eatery a bit higher than chciken wings.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
HuskyNan = GOAT (Greatest of all time)
Thank you for clarifying what GOAT means. I thought you were very insulting for a second.

Reaction Score
My inference of Chloe’s position didn’t just come out of thin air. She herself said she anticipates playing on the perimeter more this year and she’s been working out with the guards since she join the team last December. Some of you are going off what position she played in the U19 but that’s solely what role USA needed her for. She hasn’t played much 4 at USC yet and while I do think she does get time there, naturally with her skillset, Dawn will use her to stretch the defense and create problems from the perimeter. She’s far from a 4/5 that’s basically a Post and she’s not that. 3/4 yes and that’s considered a Wing or Stretch 4. Her player comparison is a DeWanna Bonner/Katie Lou Samuelson/Breanna Stewart type player. While they can play the 4 naturally they’re better facing the basket and working around the perimeter.

Besides Jah has been working with the Bigs since she arrived on campus. With an 11 player roster I doubt 6 of them will be true forwards with only 5 guards. I see 6 Guard/Wings and 5 Forwards/Posts.
Kitts is not a 4/5, that’s basically A’ja Wilson. LA barely played 5 at SC and she was way stronger and physically more imposing than Kitts. Kitts will never sniff the 5 at SC unless there’s some plan to put 5 wings or 6’1-6’3 players on the floor at once.
Kitts is a prototype 3/4 or stretch 4 player. I agree with @SCspur on the WNBA comps too.
People keep saying this and she keeps playing inside, high dribbling, and looking exactly like a 4.

Reaction Score
Hoping for Joyce Edwards, Jordan Lee and Adhel Tac to close out this class.

What is your ideal finis?

Reaction Score
As much as I’d love a combo featuring both Edwards and Sarah Strong, I’ll settle for Joyce, Tac and Kennedy Smith :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom