Rumor from CSNBBS Conference Realignment board | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rumor from CSNBBS Conference Realignment board

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When are people going to learn that perception IS reality? (yes, including you, Fishy) When are people going to learn that the more that random people talk about us as "the next move" or "the one that got away", the more it becomes the inevitability?

I can remember it like it was yesterday when Louisville sucked grapes (because it wasn't much before yesterday). What changed? The perception changed. In walked Coach Strong and Teddy Bridgewater (no more saying, "You've been Kragthorped!"). Then perception dominated the reality. Solid recruiting classes back-to-back. They became a top25 team. Even though they struggled to win the Big East Title, they won the bowl game against Florida. Perception, perception, perception...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"Perception is reality" can help a winning program build it's social media presence, it may help influence coaches and writers polls, it can help increase alumni donations and undergrad applications and recruiting. I think it did help Louisville too. It can't make a $25 million TV contract appear out of thin air even if you wish really really hard for it. If anyone in college football heard about it and decided to check out scheduling UConn....they'd find out in ten seconds that there's no there there. Making sh#+ up isn't going to help UConn. Buying tickets and donating and getting your friends to do the same will help UConn.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Perception is reality. If this story could have gained ground it could have fulfilled that role. It also could have fulfilled AZHuskiePop's first law of inclusion into the big time.
I. UConn will promptly get invited to the conference of their choice when there is fear that we have an meaningful altternative to that conference.

This plan failed because it was conceived by someone far more imaginative than the Storrs slugs.Hence it flunked the believability criteria. HFD my hats off to you for trying. Next time maybe tone it down a bit.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Perception is reality. If this story could have gained ground it could have fulfilled that role. It also could have fulfilled AZHuskiePop's first law of inclusion into the big time.
I. UConn will promptly get invited to the conference of their choice when there is fear that we have an meaningful altternative to that conference.

This plan failed because it was conceived by someone far more imaginative than the Storrs slugs.Hence it flunked the believability criteria. HFD my hats off to you for trying. Next time maybe tone it down a bit.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well if you can make up whatever contract you want it's a bit easier to be creative.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"Perception is reality" can help a winning program build it's social media presence, it may help influence coaches and writers polls, it can help increase alumni donations and undergrad applications and recruiting. I think it did help Louisville too. It can't make a $25 million TV contract appear out of thin air even if you wish really really hard for it. If anyone in college football heard about it and decided to check out scheduling UConn....they'd find out in ten seconds that there's no there there. Making sh#+ up isn't going to help UConn. Buying tickets and donating and getting your friends to do the same will help UConn.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I hope you realize I wasn't just talking about the original post, right? I'm talking about articles from CBS, SNY, NBC College Football, Blaudschun, etc., etc. The CSNBBS article is just a hodge-podge of likely made up stuff, but with kernels of truth underneath it from other places. That's what makes it sound so good. We know that we've scheduled Boise and BYU, so an "alliance" with them sounds possible. We know that we have a nice relationship with SNY, who is willing to pay our girls bball multi-million dollars on their own, so a much bigger deal for our entire athletics sounds possible. We know that we were essentially the main target for ACC expansion until they chose Louisville, so our high marketability sounds possible.

Yes, buying tickets, donating, getting our friends out there....that's all the right stuff to do. But what I'm trying to say is that our image is a good image out there; enough to be the center of the next round of expansion talks for many of the conferences...

Reaction Score
As a Carolina fan, I really believe that the ACC totally missed the boat in expansion by not taking UConn.

Its been said plenty that 'football is driving the expansion bus.' I agree with that. That said, if football is driving the bus, then, basketball is clearly in the front seat. Where do these networks think that programming for the winter months is going to come from? Basketball, thats where, and, the ACC needed UConn, IMHO.

Now, I am not against Louisville. Not at all. I think they're a great fit in a regional sense. UConn would've been, too. You all, alongside Syracuse and BC, would lock down the northeast and New England. Not to mention, tilted New York City in our favor.

I've read the board for a while, and, I know you're PO'ed at the ACC. It is just my own hope that you will be in the league. Soon.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. My spidey sense is telling me this is definitely not the same "FromTheInside" that posted here last year. In fact, to me it sounds like a certain former boneyarder - who enjoys throwing slashes on random lists and making crazy unrealistic scenarios sound easy as pie (and then get on his soapbox and rant about how everybody else is a bunch of clowns for not making that crazy scenario come to fruition in two months) - finally figured out how to edit his sentences and use capitalization.

I could be wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

That sounded "easy" to you?

Reaction Score

Everybody out there making statements whether they be on CR or BCS or Super-Conferences is trying to influence perception. From the Presidents to the AD's to the Conference Commissioners. They know it has value. We just need to do a better job of it.

Reaction Score

Everybody out there making statements whether they be on CR or BCS or Super-Conferences is trying to influence perception. From the Presidents to the AD's to the Conference Commissioners. They know it has value. We just need to do a better job of it.

Reaction Score
Perception?

Rutgers sucks. Where are they now?

It's about $$$$$$$$$$$. And other stuff.

Reaction Score
Perception?

Rutgers sucks. Where are they now?

It's about $. And other stuff.

I do believe that perception played a big part in UL getting into the ACC at this time, versus UConn. Not just perception of UConn, but, perception of the ACC as well.

Reaction Score
There was a perception that if the ACC didn't act on Louisville the Big 12 would.
The perception was also that UConn would be available if ever that needed them.
UConn leadership made a huge mistake in giving this impression.

Reaction Score
There was a perception that if the ACC didn't act on Louisville the Big 12 would.
The perception was also that UConn would be available if ever that needed them.
UConn leadership made a huge mistake in giving this impression.

I understand that POV, I just don't agree with it is all. There is no guarantee that if we ever need a No 16, that UConn will still be available.

Once it was clear that PSU would no longer have been an option, then, Swofford could have convinced the league to add both UL and UConn. The football schools get something that they want, and, ACC basketball adds two more national powers. Win-win for the league, and, any possible future ACCN gets even more content.

Just my two cents.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I do believe that perception played a big part in UL getting into the ACC at this time, versus UConn. Not just perception of UConn, but, perception of the ACC as well.

I think that was money-based in the sense of FSU pitching a fit about yet another home opponent they couldn't sell tickets for in that waaaaaay too huge stadium, and Swoff had just foisted Pitt and Cuse on them and they said enough was enough, give us SOMEbody our loathsome frontrunning fanbase might possibly show up for, and Swoff gulped and looked around all nervous-like and said well Lou-uh-ville just beat Florida, and FSU rolled their eyes and said fine whatever. That's the only explanation I can think of for choosing a commuter school over a school that's much closer to the ACC mold in every conceivable way, i.e., flagship, basketball-centric, solid academics, etc.

Reaction Score
Neither the Big Ten nor the ACC can allow UConn to be playing meaningful football games against other conferences in Metlife or Yankee Stadium, and neither the Big Ten nor the ACC can allow UConn to be inviting SEC and Pac Ten teams into MSG and Barclays for meaningful games in January and February. In each of their cases, their hopes to dominate NYC, or even maximize their share, requires UConn to either join their conference or whither and die.

That having been said, if SNY was willing to pay that for the UConn schedule discussed, we would be in the Big already (and ESPN would have offered the ACC more to take us than LV in the first place rather than being indifferent).

As to the source/veracity? Who ^%* knows?

As to what's written, who's to say it isn't a reaction to events that had a negative impact on both UCONN and SNY? Remember, SNY had deals with SYR and RUTG that were similar to its deal with UCONN. The other two schools are gone and all but irretrievable. The remaining school, while saying the right things, is clearly unhappy with recent events. SNY doesn't want fall and winter to become "Beer Money" in between showings of "Mets Classics."

While I'm presently and firmly in the SH/WM "not sure" column, there is no way that anyone at UCONN could have come up with something (fact/fiction?) of the (non-fiction) magnitude described above. If any of it is real, it's the result of creative SNY TV marketing types pitching something to UCONN. And if any of it comes to pass, it will be because smart, creative TV types sell and negotiate their asses off. That's not a shot at anyone at UCONN. It's just a feeling that cobras should be left to the mongoose. My scenario has TV person running up to WM,

"We need you to agree to this, this and this. Nod your head yes. Thank you, we'll get back to you."

Finally, SNY is part owned by NBCU. How would they feel about this vis-a-vis the NY TV market?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
As a Carolina fan, I really believe that the ACC totally missed the boat in expansion by not taking UConn.

Its been said plenty that 'football is driving the expansion bus.' I agree with that. That said, if football is driving the bus, then, basketball is clearly in the front seat. Where do these networks think that programming for the winter months is going to come from? Basketball, thats where, and, the ACC needed UConn, IMHO.

Now, I am not against Louisville. Not at all. I think they're a great fit in a regional sense. UConn would've been, too. You all, alongside Syracuse and BC, would lock down the northeast and New England. Not to mention, tilted New York City in our favor.

I've read the board for a while, and, I know you're PO'ed at the ACC. It is just my own hope that you will be in the league. Soon.
Obviously the B1G would be the most stable final destination for us, but a very strong argument could be made that UConn would be a much better fit with a brighter future in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think that was money-based in the sense of FSU pitching a fit about yet another home opponent they couldn't sell tickets for in that waaaaaay too huge stadium, and Swoff had just foisted Pitt and Cuse on them and they said enough was enough, give us SOMEbody our loathsome frontrunning fanbase might possibly show up for, and Swoff gulped and looked around all nervous-like and said well Lou-uh-ville just beat Florida, and FSU rolled their eyes and said fine whatever. That's the only explanation I can think of for choosing a commuter school over a school that's much closer to the ACC mold in every conceivable way, i.e., flagship, basketball-centric, solid academics, etc.

All fair points.

The thing is, it is up to FSU's own fanbase to sell out their stadium. Nobody else's. From their early days as an ACC member (1992-2000), when they were annually finishing their seasons ranked in the Top 5, contending for the national championship, and, pounding their ACC foes into the stadium turf, nobody in Tallahassee was complaining. And, their stadium was sold out every single home game.

It is nobody else's fault that they hung onto Bobby Bowden for 3-5 years too long, or, kept Bobby B's incompetent son on as OC, when it was clear he was in over his head, or, failed to coach up the talent that kept matriculating to FSU. Their fans did not like what they saw, so, they showed their anger by not showing up. A tough economy the past 5-7 years has not helped, either.

Yes, we all want fanbases of our opponents to come into our cities, spend some of their hard-earned money, and, help fill our stadia. But, thats not always going to be the case.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
...That's the only explanation I can think of for choosing a commuter school over a school that's much closer to the ACC mold in every conceivable way, i.e., flagship, basketball-centric, solid academics, etc.
That is a good explanation, though I think geography counts against us, at least with FSU / Clemson / Miami. Not that the area around louisville is a recruiting hotbed that much more than CT / NE / NYC, maybe a bit, but its geography a) somewhat reinforces the (recent) positive perception around louisville's football program b) can't hurt them as far as being closer to a southern cultural fit. Having not spent time in the South apart from trips to Orlando and New Orleans, I can't say whether Lou-uh-vuhl is considered authentically southern by those schools, but I'll bet it's at least not as authentically Yankee as CT.

Reaction Score
Obviously the B1G would be the most stable final destination for us, but a very strong argument could be made that UConn would be a much better fit with a brighter future in the ACC.

I agree. It is my own belief that you all fit into the ACC like a glove. You would already have conference members that you have history with, and, you'd have burgeoning rivalries with the Tobacco Road schools in basketball. Plus, UConn baseball could improve a lot by being in a much better league.

I believe that Swofford was thinking in terms of more than just football when he pitched UConn to the league originally. But, the ACC's football first schools wanted somebody who was performing well now. And, UL has performed better overall than UConn of late.

Like has been mentioned before on this very board, if these were the Kragthorpe years at UL, UConn would be in the ACC now. It was bad timing that UConn regressed under Coach Pasqualoni, when UL is progressing under Coach Strong.

I really hope that it works out, so that you can join the ACC eventually. If you choose the B1G, I would wish you good luck. And, wish what the ACC might've had.

Reaction Score
I think it can be looked at this way: if Mike Leach were hired instead of PP would we be in the ACC?

I say yes.

Reaction Score
I think it can be looked at this way: if Mike Leach were hired instead of PP would we be in the ACC?

I say yes.

I would agree, if he could have at least maintained the success you all had built to in 2010. I believe that he would've.

Carolina went through the same thing after we lost Mack Brown to Texas following the '97 season. Our athletic department tried to do things on the cheap after he left. His successors, Torbush and Bunting, were horrible hires. Hiring Butch Davis showed that UNC was serious about upgrading football, but, his lack of oversight of the program was his downfall. I think we finally have it right with Coach Fedora. Time will tell.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
All fair points.

The thing is, it is up to FSU's own fanbase to sell out their stadium. Nobody else's. From their early days as an ACC member (1992-2000), when they were annually finishing their seasons ranked in the Top 5, contending for the national championship, and, pounding their ACC foes into the stadium turf, nobody in Tallahassee was complaining. And, their stadium was sold out every single home game.

It is nobody else's fault that they hung onto Bobby Bowden for 3-5 years too long, or, kept Bobby B's incompetent son on as OC, when it was clear he was in over his head, or, failed to coach up the talent that kept matriculating to FSU. Their fans did not like what they saw, so, they showed their anger by not showing up. A tough economy the past 5-7 years has not helped, either.

Yes, we all want fanbases of our opponents to come into our cities, spend some of their hard-earned money, and, help fill our stadia. But, thats not always going to be the case.

I think what's happened is that FSU has turned out to be an ACC team--i.e., a good fanbase, but not a deep fanbase composed of people who think FSU represents them in a blood and soil sort of way like your upper tier B1G and SEC fandoms. Deep fanbases can sell out a an 80000 seat stadium on a Duke, Wake, BC, etc. diet. ACC fanbases cannot. Without the Bowden mojo FSU is in the process of reverting back to their new baseline--not the pre-Bowden irrelevance, but not Alabama or LSU either. (Still that's a better baseline than their old enemy Miami, who, it turns out, doesn't have _any_ fans post their glory years. I mean BC might have a bigger longterm fandom.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom