Rumor from CSNBBS Conference Realignment board | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Rumor from CSNBBS Conference Realignment board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The interesting thing about this thread is I think most of us thought HFD's post was credible until we realized it was HFD. If another person had posted the same thing without the telltale evidence of HFD, we would still be discussing it gleefully right now. Which means that despite coming from HFD, this idea is not completely off the wall. BYU, Idaho and New Mexico State need opponents, which means if Cincinnati and us both bailed on the AAC, which I think is the smart move, there would be 4 teams locked in for scheduling, 2 of which were pretty strong programs. Could we assemble 8 games a year after that? You would need 5 more against quality competition, which would be difficult but not impossible.
No one should have thought that post was credible because, well, the idea is completely off the wall.

There were way too many moving parts for that scenario to be considered realistic. And that's not even taking into consideration that UConn football would struggle mightily as an independent.

Reaction Score
It is definitely HFD. However, other than the dead give away misspelling of Boise as "Bosie", it was very well written for HFD. Just goes to show that Dan really is smart and he really does have great ideas, as I've said for months. Unfortunately, he goes off the rails too often to be taken seriously. I wish the guy was working in Storrs right now.

Forget, for the time being, whether it's total fiction, or absolute fact. Does the information in the "post" have any validity as a concept; in total, in part? If a more formal version was submitted to, for arguments sake, an SNY, would it be treated as lunacy or as something that might act as a reasonable foundation for partnership? A lot of successful products and programs have been distilled from some crazy, but creative, person's too broad and inclusive LSD generated input. Properly presented to TV types, by someone with the gravitas of an SH, it might, at least, produce an evaluation. Hell, I'd vote "yes."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's like religious apologists asserting that atheism is basically a religion. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of the semantics.

The gullible person accepts something with no (or bad) evidence, while the skeptic will only be convinced by what they determine to good evidence. Obviously, none of us have seen any decent evidence that would lead us to get our hopes up because, since this all started, literally nothing has gone UConn's way. The only evidence that will make some yarders more apt to positive thinking (i.e. good evidence) will be Delaney personally inviting UConn to the B1G, and I think that's fairly understandable. This is a basic defense mechanism we're talking about here.
And where is the "good evidence" for all those who belong to a religion?:)

Reaction Score
I do believe that perception played a big part in UL getting into the ACC at this time, versus UConn. Not just perception of UConn, but, perception of the ACC as well.

The generation of positive perception has been, and I'm being kind, a major UCONN weakness. UCONN frittered away countless promotional and advertising opportunities. Starting with the FB upgrade, the rapid improvement, multiple BB championships, incredible new facilities. How could all that accomplishment be wasted? Now it's been offset by bad BB news and PP's record. The University has only itself to blame.

Reaction Score
More news from this board: http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=641725

Take it for what it is worth. I have no idea if any of it is true. I sure hope they are because the longer we are trapped in the AAC, the more screwed we are. We are better off affiliating with the BE and be indy in FB, BB and WBB, provided we schedule majority of BB and WBB games against the new BE.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Forget, for the time being, whether it's total fiction, or absolute fact. Does the information in the "post" have any validity as a concept; in total, in part? If a more formal version was submitted to, for arguments sake, an SNY, would it be treated as lunacy or as something that might act as a reasonable foundation for partnership? A lot of successful products and programs have been distilled from some crazy, but creative, person's too broad and inclusive LSD generated input. Properly presented to TV types, by someone with the gravitas of an SH, it might, at least, produce an evaluation. Hell, I'd vote "yes."

There is no way Fromtheinside is HFD. I will wager whatever action anyone would take. That post is coherent enough to be legitimate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Take it for what it is worth. I have no idea if any of it is true. I sure hope they are because the longer we are trapped in the AAC, the more screwed we are. We are better off affiliating with the BE and be indy in FB, BB and WBB, provided we schedule majority of BB and WBB games against the new BE.

Well at the very least this guy understands your value is a function of who you play.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

You do realize it's the same poster right? HFD......

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
That is a good explanation, though I think geography counts against us, at least with FSU / Clemson / Miami. Not that the area around louisville is a recruiting hotbed that much more than CT / NE / NYC, maybe a bit, but its geography a) somewhat reinforces the (recent) positive perception around louisville's football program b) can't hurt them as far as being closer to a southern cultural fit. Having not spent time in the South apart from trips to Orlando and New Orleans, I can't say whether Lou-uh-vuhl is considered authentically southern by those schools, but I'll bet it's at least not as authentically Yankee as CT.

Having spent a charming afternoon in Rabbit Hash, Kentucky I can, with great confidence, confirm this.

Put another way (Thurston P Howell III accent), Rabbit Hash is no Cos-Cob.

GG

Reaction Score
Silly question, but why is everyone so sure that this is HDF? My recollection of his posts is that they were incomprehensible. I literally got tired trying to make sense of them. I do not know if the posts we are discussing are legit, but I find it hard to believe that HDF write it.

Reaction Score
I notice that he calls Auriemma's team "the girls". Did HFD refer to them as "the girls"?

Yes. It is HFD. There is no question. All the odd things match. If you see any mention of "puck" or "barn" you'll have final confirmation. However, he will probably avoid using either term after reading this post.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Having spent a charming afternoon in Rabbit Hash, Kentucky I can, with great confidence, confirm this.

Put another way (Thurston P Howell III accent), Rabbit Hash is no Cos-Cob.
my family has a house in the outer banks so i have been to and through delaware, maryland, virginia and the carolinas plenty of times now. the way i see it, you judge of the state is part of the "south" based on the amount of billboards of jesus you see, how many churches have those light up signs you normally see in front of sporting venues, and how cheap cigarettes are. that being said, imo, everything south and west of nj/pa is part of the south.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
my family has a house in the outer banks so i have been to and through delaware, maryland, virginia and the carolinas plenty of times now. the way i see it, you judge of the state is part of the "south" based on the amount of billboards of jesus you see, how many churches have those light up signs you normally see in front of sporting venues, and how cheap cigarettes are. that being said, imo, everything south and west of nj/pa is part of the south.

Agreed. I would add the number of fireworks stores you see.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes. It is HFD. There is no question. All the odd things match. If you see any mention of "puck" or "barn" you'll have final confirmation. However, he will probably avoid using either term after reading this post.

HFD did nothing but bash WM over BYU and Boise. He was so emotional he could now build a narrative around those games?

Reaction Score
UMD might not have the national titles in hoops that UConn does, but, while Lefty Drisell was there in the '70s and '80s, the Terps were one of the ACC's best programs, and, they were relevant nationally. Gary Williams did win a title for them. And, I think they'll do more than ok in the B1G with Mark Turgeon. The Terps' lacrosse program speaks for itself. Their football program does have two national titles. Granted, they are from the 1950s, but, they still have them. And, the Baltimore-Washington corridor produces good talent in football and basketball, so, they have those recruiting grounds going for them, too.

So, they have at least something to show for their efforts over time, unlike Rutgers.

@Paul Robeson!!"61"Undeafeated FB team!"76"Final 4 MBB!Much better historically and future potential!Boomer Esiason?lol

Reaction Score
@Paul Robeson!!"61"Undeafeated FB team!"76"Final 4 MBB!Much better historically and future potential!Boomer Esiason?lol

For a moment I couldn't tell if you were picking on Rutgers. . . is that the 100 year tally? . . .(just kidding Nicky, don't @me)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This seems risky. I don't know if the administration and AD have the balls to do this. Lots to gain, lots to lose.

Reaction Score
The generation of positive perception has been, and I'm being kind, a major UCONN weakness. UCONN frittered away countless promotional and advertising opportunities. Starting with the FB upgrade, the rapid improvement, multiple BB championships, incredible new facilities. How could all that accomplishment be wasted? Now it's been offset by bad BB news and PP's record. The University has only itself to blame.

The current perception is all that matters. The basketball team's APR troubles, and, the football team's struggles, are what some ACC fans see at this moment. Fairly or unfairly.

I see a football team that needs a new HC, but, is putting a fair number of players into the NFL. Granted, New England is not prime recruiting ground, but, playing in the ACC would open up VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL for recruiting, which would raise your talent level significantly.

Your basketball program speaks for itself. It is one of the best in the country, and, would be a great addition to the ACC. I am not well informed about the team's APR troubles, and, I would not comment on them anyway. Right now, we UNC fans have no standing to chastise any other school about academic misconduct.

As many posters have said repeatedly, just win FB and BB games, and, the rest will take care of itself. I cannot see UConn being left out of any proposed Big 5 conference breakaway. Not with what you all have to offer.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
hahaha this is a poster from that board named miko33

I like a good story like the next guy, but at least make it remotely reasonable. This story is utter crap because it has too many errors in assumptions. Boise will NEVER be in the PAC, yet that didn't stop our OP from trying to pull that piece of garbage out of his hat. It's silly and amusing at the same time.

Reaction Score

UMD has 2 football MNCs (1951, 1953), and, B2B Final Four appearances (2001-2002), with a national title in '02. Not to mention, roughly a half dozen men's lacrosse titles. Boomer Esiasion won the ACC title his senior year in college, and, took his Cincinnati Benglas team to the Super Bowl. Has any Rutgers QB ever done that?

If you want to make a H2H comparison of the UMD and RU athletic departments' accomplishments, please, go ahead. I feel pretty safe in saying that RU will be shown to be lacking.

As for the 'future potential' you mention, thats fanspeak for 'ain't done ---- yet.'

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The current perception is all that matters. The basketball team's APR troubles, and, the football team's struggles, are what some ACC fans see at this moment. Fairly or unfairly.

I see a football team that needs a new HC, but, is putting a fair number of players into the NFL. Granted, New England is not prime recruiting ground, but, playing in the ACC would open up VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL for recruiting, which would raise your talent level significantly.

Your basketball program speaks for itself. It is one of the best in the country, and, would be a great addition to the ACC. I am not well informed about the team's APR troubles, and, I would not comment on them anyway. Right now, we UNC fans have no standing to chastise any other school about academic misconduct.

As many posters have said repeatedly, just win FB and BB games, and, the rest will take care of itself. I cannot see UConn being left out of any proposed Big 5 conference breakaway. Not with what you all have to offer.

A UNC fan says the world looks down on Uconn because of APR. The irony is unbelievable. Also because of an under performing football team? Again, irony so thick you have to cut it with a knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom