RPI Ratings for Conferences through 11/28 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RPI Ratings for Conferences through 11/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To whoever asked if you think that the A10 is better than the ACC...I think so? I think top to bottom it's a better conference than the ACC/

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The sagarins dont matter because like RPI it's a useless metric. There are legitimate rankings that do.

You can't just admit you are wrong, can you? The RPI is one of the official selection tools of the NCAA Selection Committee. Sagarin is...nothing. Nor are any of the other measures you might cite.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tulane got drilled by 30 today to something called Southeast Missouri State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
You can't just admit you are wrong, can you? The RPI is one of the official selection tools of the NCAA Selection Committee. Sagarin is...nothing. Nor are any of the other measures you might cite.

You might want to actually read the stories written by the journalists who go through the mock selection process.

Reaction Score
As importantly, fans are voting with their feet. We are in a southern mid-major conference now, and UConn fans clearly don't care about the schedule.

I suspect you're right, but shouldn't you wait until we hit the conference schedule before declaring victory on this one?

Reaction Score
Nelson, where do you want Uconn to be? We aren't in the big east anymore as they don't want to deal with all of the football BS. We aren't in the ACC or big ten. We are in a crappy conference.....we get it. What the heck do you want? I bought season tickets in hoops and football for the first time In years because I think the school needs us now now than ever. Uconn and it's fans need to make the best of a bad situation. KO would not want your "can't do" attitude on his team. If you are that miserable then go find something else to do.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Tulane got drilled by 30 today to something called Southeast Missouri State.

Wow! Current C-USA games count against us in the RPI now??? Holy cow, Nelson! :rolleyes:

Also, explain to me what this thing called Mercer is, because they beat Seton Hall. This is how foolish you're being...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why do I imagine that nelson walks the streets of NYC with a sign that says the END IS NEAR!?
EndIsNear1.jpg

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yeah being in the WCC which is anywhere from between the 12th and 20th best conference really hurts Gonzaga year in and year out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I suspect you're right, but shouldn't you wait until we hit the conference schedule before declaring victory on this one?

Can't you see the stands? Casual fans are already walking away. These early season matchups would sell ot Gampel and come close to selling out HCC. Is there a single game that is sold out yet? I hope florida is.

Reaction Score
I think Nelson is right to be concerned.

USF lost to Detroit tonight. Remember what UConn did to Detroit? Villanova beat Kansas and Iowa in a 48 hour span. I think it's pretty clear the old BE is going to be a better hoops league compared to the AAC once Louisville leaves.

When Louisville leaves, UConn will not be properly prepared for NCAA play in the AAC. Memphis is a terribly coached team and just plain dumb. Attendance will suffer and our preperation for top NCAA play will too. There's really nothing that can be done about it. I'd be lying if I wasn't as concerned as Nelson.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The American isn't going to be a good basketball conference - it is what it is.

Nelson's fantasies aside, we don't have any options.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow! Current C-USA games count against us in the RPI now??? Holy cow, Nelson! :rolleyes:

Also, explain to me what this thing called Mercer is, because they beat Seton Hall. This is how foolish you're being...

LOL. You realize how ignorant you sound? Are you really arguing that the AAC is just as good as the Big East from a basketball perspective? I will remember this particular argument to evaluate your credibility on any other basketball related position you have.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Can't you see the stands? Casual fans are already walking away. These early season matchups would sell ot Gampel and come close to selling out HCC. Is there a single game that is sold out yet? I hope florida is.

Was the last time you watched a game in the mid 2000s? That hasn't been true in almost a decade.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The American isn't going to be a good basketball conference - it is what it is.

Nelson's fantasies aside, we don't have any options.

You may be right.

The Big East schools walked away because they did not want to be in a league with USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU and the rest of the attendance repellant that is now in this conference. I think they would be receptive to UConn as a football independent and basketball only member. It would also cut the costs of the non-revenue sports to be in a league more closely based in the northeast.

I am not above joining the A10 either. UConn, Cincinnati and Temple would make the A10 the 7th best basketball league. Or UConn could go alone. At least it wouldn't be the train wreck that this AAC is.

To do that, we would probably have to go independent in football. I know a lot of you think the odds are long, but the current situation is a death sentence, so anything would be an improvement. I would even join the MAC for football over staying in this league for all sports.

Reaction Score
but the current situation is a death sentence, so anything would be an improvement.

How is the current situation a death sentence?

We are collecting exit fee money instead of paying it out, the football competition on the field is and will be as good as we have had in the past, the basketball teams will continue to be top notch with Ollie and Geno. In spite of what you say Temple, Cincy and Memphis are good basketball programs and there are other schools in the AAC that are decent (just as good as Seton Hall, Depaul, Rutgers, St Johns and the Providence teams of the last 15 years). We will also have just about every game on ESPN and we are actively pursuing a better conference.

How is all of this a death sentence?

Please stop the nonsense.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How is the current situation a death sentence?

We are collecting exit fee money instead of paying it out, the football competition on the field is and will be as good as we have had in the past, the basketball teams will continue to be top notch with Ollie and Geno. In spite of what you say Temple, Cincy and Memphis are good basketball programs and there are other schools in the AAC that are decent (just as good as Seton Hall, Depaul, St Johns and the Providence teams of the last 15 years). We will also have just about every game on ESPN and we are actively pursuing a better conference.

How is all of this a death sentence?

Please stop the nonsense.

It is a death sentence because casual UConn fans do not care about our schedule any more, and the conference for basketball is not nearly as good as you claim. How many at-large bids do Tulane, ECU, USF, UCF, Houston, and Tulsa have in the last 10 years? I believe USF has 1, and that was as a member of the Big East. After that, I don't think there are any. To say that those schools are just as good as Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall or Depaul is ridiculous. Which one of those AAC schools could beat Vanderbilt on a neutral court?

The football league is roughly equivalent to the MWC now, but no where near the Big East from the last 10 years. It is a southern mid-major league with a bunch of schools that most UConn fans would have trouble finding without wikipedia.

The TV exposure is about the only thing we have going for us, but if this year is any indication, a lot of our games are going to be on ESPN3.

This Boneyard had exactly the same argument 4 years ago when I said that the Big East Television contract was a death sentence to the league, and the league should do whatever it could to break it. The Big East chose to go along and get along, and for 16 of the schools, that worked out great, but for UConn, USF and Cincinnati, it was disastrous.

It always seems to come back to the Exit Fees. I also believe that was the driver of this conference affiliation decision. Short term thinking. They are a one time windfall that will not be replicated again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
LOL. You realize how ignorant you sound? Are you really arguing that the AAC is just as good as the Big East from a basketball perspective? I will remember this particular argument to evaluate your credibility on any other basketball related position you have.

Yup. I'm the one that's ignorant. :rolleyes:

You're a clown. I have already gone on record in this very thread as saying that the NBE is MARGINALLY better than the American in terms of a schedule in men's basketball. I can say that comfortably, because others have already provided you a ton of data to support it, and further data will continue to come in over the next month to two months. And I'm also on record for saying that it will matter VERY LITTLE to what will happen to the UConn men. We are able to, and have already, scheduled top opponents to play in the OOC schedule to account for it. We are playing teams like Maryland, Indiana, BC, Florida, Stanford, Washington, and Harvard. Games like these have replaced games like Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, etc. We will also continue our practice of participating in an early season tournament every year. And we will still have two games against Cincy, Memphis, and Temple every year and we will likely have yet another game against one or more of them in the league tournament. Also, Houston and SMU will soon become teams to be reckoned with, considering their current coaching and recruiting situations respectively.

So in closing, you're a clown. And unlike you, I don't have to remember your arguments because you repeat them every hour of every day on every thread in the Boneyard. Now, feel free to go back to talking about Tulane and football independence...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Look around Gampel or the XL.

The same thing could have been said early in the year when UConn was still in your beloved Big East. Were you in a coma the past 5 years?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yup. I'm the one that's ignorant. :rolleyes:

You're a clown. I have already gone on record in this very thread as saying that the NBE is MARGINALLY better than the American in terms of a schedule in men's basketball. I can say that comfortably, because others have already provided you a ton of data to support it, and further data will continue to come in over the next month to two months. And I'm also on record for saying that it will matter VERY LITTLE to what will happen to the UConn men. We are able to, and have already, scheduled top opponents to play in the OOC schedule to account for it. We are playing teams like Maryland, Indiana, BC, Florida, Stanford, Washington, and Harvard. Games like these have replaced games like Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, etc. We will also continue our practice of participating in an early season tournament every year. And we will still have two games against Cincy, Memphis, and Temple every year and we will likely have yet another game against one or more of them in the league tournament. Also, Houston and SMU will soon become teams to be reckoned with, considering their current coaching and recruiting situations respectively.

So in closing, you're a clown. And unlike you, I don't have to remember your arguments because you repeat them every hour of every day on every thread in the Boneyard. Now, feel free to go back to talking about Tulane and football independence...

The AAC is a mid-major league and the Big East is a big step up. The RPI says so, the W/L against P5 conferences says so, the TV contracts say so, and anyone who has the slightest idea what they are talking about with basketball says so.

The fact that UConn agreed to an 18 game schedule against this mess shows that Herbst and Manual either don't care about the basketball program or have no idea what they are doing. The AAC should have a 16 game schedule MAX, and I would prefer a 14 game schedule.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The same thing could have been said early in the year when UConn was still in your beloved Big East. Were you in a coma the past 5 years?

You think this conference is a train wreck too, so I don't know what point you are trying to make. Just more Whaler taking the other side of whatever argument someone is trying to make?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
The AAC is a mid-major league and the Big East is a big step up. The RPI says so, the W/L against P5 conferences says so, the TV contracts say so, and anyone who has the slightest idea what they are talking about with basketball says so.

The fact that UConn agreed to an 18 game schedule against this mess shows that Herbst and Manual either don't care about the basketball program or have no idea what they are doing. The AAC should have a 16 game schedule MAX, and I would prefer a 14 game schedule.

You know damn well they can't play a 14 game season. You know there is no way to schedule enough OOC games after New Years to play only 14.

You know that 1 month can no way predict the long term outcome for these leagues because the leagues may change the way the schools can recruit and you won't see that impact for years.

I agree that the Big East is going to be a better basketball league than the AAC. But, to declare victory after a few weeks is a bit silly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
You think this conference is a train wreck too, so I don't know what point you are trying to make. Just more Whaler taking the other side of whatever argument someone is trying to make?

Yeah and I'll make that argument based on real data points. Not just making things up.

I agree the basketball league is worse. I don't think it's anywhere near big a deal as you do and I think your idea that they could have left basketball in the Big East is laughably silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom