Robert Griffin III on the Rent | The Boneyard

Robert Griffin III on the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jon Robinson: Another cool thing they have in the game is the atmosphere from the crowd, where they're cheering wildly for the home team, while making it tough on the road teams to call audibles with all the crowd noise. When you were at Baylor, what was the toughest place for you to play in terms of crowd noise?
Robert Griffin III: The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska.
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...ii-talks-video-games-draft?readmore=fullstory

Reaction Score
P needs to casually make sure that every player he recruits sees that quote. That quote should make its way into the UCONN football brochure if there is one.

Great find!

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Wow that's an incredible quote. Let's frame that and put it on a wall somewhere

Reaction Score
Jon Robinson: Another cool thing they have in the game is the atmosphere from the crowd, where they're cheering wildly for the home team, while making it tough on the road teams to call audibles with all the crowd noise. When you were at Baylor, what was the toughest place for you to play in terms of crowd noise?
Robert Griffin III: The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska.
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...ii-talks-video-games-draft?readmore=fullstory

I wrote this another thread a few minutes ago - in response to somebody's comments about the stadium and "pitch" of the seats and somebody's interpretation of "empty space".

We've got a damn good thing going at Rentschler.

Funny. Butch Davis might be a corner cutter in recruiting, but he's a hell of a football coach, and a football guy. After the North Carolina game at home a few seasons ago, he and Dave Wannstache, both guys who coached with JJ together in Miami and Dallas and are good friends, talked about playing at UConn, and I can tell you, that both them, basically described being at Rentschler as feeling like the fans are right on top of you.

Rentschler field, is a very, very nice home field.

Reaction Score
Heisman trophy winner says that Rentschler is the loudest place he's ever been as a football player.

Heisman trophy winner says that Rentschler is the loudest place he's ever been as a football player.

All you recruits, kids, players, family......FANS..... out there.....get that?

Heisman trophy winner, awarded to the best college football player in the country, in an interview and answerning a question from former college and NFL head coach about the toughest place he's ever had to play an away game, answers by saying....

"When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player." - 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III.

Reaction Score
Didn't RG3 also state at one point that we were one of the hardest hitting teams he's faced?

Reaction Score
Dave Wannstedt always talked about how UConn was the hardest hitting opponent that he faced when he was coaching at Pitt. I'm not sure if RGIII ever said anything like that, but I know that Wannstedt talked about that repeatedly.

I think it's a F8CKING cool that RGIII ranks UConn right next to Texas, A&M, and Nebraska as the coolest places he's ever played.

This quote was a gold mine find, and we need to plaster it everywhere for the negative ninnies of the world. UConn football baby.

Reaction Score
Didn't RG3 also state at one point that we were one of the hardest hitting teams he's faced?

someone did. i'm not sure if it was him, or that tackle that got drafted really highly a few years ago whose name i can't recall right now. Jason something maybe

edit:Jason smith. i think he might have been the one that said we were one of the hardest hitting teams he faced

Reaction Score
someone did. i'm not sure if it was him, or that tackle that got drafted really highly a few years ago whose name i can't recall right now. Jason something maybe
Ya, it was either RG3 or their RB who both took absolute physical beatings when we played them. I think both were knocked out of the game in Waco at some point.

Reaction Score
Dave Wannstedt always talked about how UConn was the hardest hitting opponent that he faced when he was coaching at Pitt. I'm not sure if RGIII ever said anything like that, but I know that Wannstedt talked about that repeatedly.

I think it's a F8CKING cool that RGIII ranks UConn right next to Texas, A&M, and Nebraska as the coolest places he's ever played.

This quote was a gold mine find, and we need to plaster it everywhere for the negative ninnies of the world. UConn football baby.

I don't recall RGIII saying that. I do recall the Texas press saying something like "look at the size of their offensive and defensive lines and then tell me that UConn is a basketball school."

Reaction Score
I think he makes a good point. I also would have preferred a more elevated profile to the stadium, but when you're getting popped pretty good lots of noises start going off in your head and the fans gets louder too. When we play well it gets loud.

Reaction Score
I remember the 04 Pitt game on a Wed or Thurs night in Oct. Crowd was so loud Their Qb and offense had about 3 or 4 Ill Procedure calls. Wild. We beat them too.!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Try as they might, those Big12 refs could not get Baylor the W there. Absolutely the worst home job I have ever witnessed.

Butler drilled RG3 late in the game in what for the Big East is considered good hardnosed football, but evidently in the Big12 constitutes not playing nice.

The next season UCONN went down there and physically beat the snot out of them again - and the Baylor players admitted as much.

Reaction Score
I found the quote I was thinking about. It was from RG3.

"I remember their defense being really good," Griffin said. "They played hard. They hit hard. I'd have to say they were one of the most physical defenses we played all year. I don't know where I'd rank them in the Big 12 with OU [Oklahoma] and Texas but it wouldn't be at the bottom that's for sure because they hit just as hard as those teams do"

Reaction Score
I will officially NEVER get tired of watching DB run. We should retire "DB" on this board in honor. I'm so cranked up for football now!!!! Come on spring!!!

U

UConn9604

I wrote this another thread a few minutes ago - in response to somebody's comments about the stadium and "pitch" of the seats and somebody's interpretation of "empty space".

We've got a damn good thing going at Rentschler.

Funny. Butch Davis might be a corner cutter in recruiting, but he's a hell of a football coach, and a football guy. After the North Carolina game at home a few seasons ago, he and Dave Wannstache, both guys who coached with JJ together in Miami and Dallas and are good friends, talked about playing at UConn, and I can tell you, that both them, basically described being at Rentschler as feeling like the fans are right on top of you.

Rentschler field, is a very, very nice home field.

I think I remember Rich Rodriguez, too, saying that we had the loudest stadium he had coached in at West Virginia.

That alone is remarkable, because we were usually out of the game by the middle of the third quarter every time he came to East Hartford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom