Roberson and Marion likely out for season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Roberson and Marion likely out for season

Reaction Score
Dumb this down for me….QB that was recruited to a top 10 football school of all time transfers to us, and we lose a huge WR. Yet it’s not a big loss? Was the QB just not that great but compared to what else we have the best option? If this was any other school, loss of starting QB and WR means season over.

Clearly not back in on UConn football enough yet to care about the roster, but hoping Mora can fix that….

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People are conflating my “lost season” statement with laying down and giving up. Play the best players, but make sure you find reps for the talented young guys as well. We just aren’t going to be a serious threat without Roberson/Ross/Marion on offense. Carter isn’t running for 200 yards per game, I promise. For anyone to suggest otherwise is blind faith.

Btw I’m also excited to see what Turner can do, now that he’s been handed the keys. I just wish he had one of his future pro level receivers to support him. This definitely feels like a developmental season for him and team.

This team is waaaaaay more competent and well coached than the teams of the last decade. I think we can confidently say that. But we’ve lost some serious contributors, there’s no way around that.

Reaction Score
Dumb this down for me….QB that was recruited to a top 10 football school of all time transfers to us, and we lose a huge WR. Yet it’s not a big loss? Was the QB just not that great but compared to what else we have the best option? If this was any other school, loss of starting QB and WR means season over.

Clearly not back in on UConn football enough yet to care about the roster, but hoping Mora can fix that….

To say it’s not a big deal is not accurate but…
-at qb Roberson was and still is an unknown. Supposedly the qb competition was very close. Our first touchdown was scored because of the running game. And then he got hurt, we don’t know if the game would have looked different if he didn’t get hurt.
-Zion is highly touted
-there is no “season over” with where we are as a program. Our goal is simply to improve as much and as fast as possible. Every game is the chance to do that

Reaction Score
People are conflating my “lost season” statement with laying down and giving up. Play the best players, but make sure you find reps for the talented young guys as well. We just aren’t going to be a serious threat without Roberson/Ross/Marion on offense. Carter isn’t running for 200 yards per game, I promise. For anyone to suggest otherwise is blind faith.

Btw I’m also excited to see what Turner can do, now that he’s been handed the keys. I just wish he had one of his future pro level receivers to support him. This definitely feels like a developmental season for him and team.

This team is waaaaaay more competent and well coached than the teams of the last decade. I think we can confidently say that. But we’ve lost some serious contributors, there’s no way around that.
“Lost season”, to use your term, does suggest that it’s a waste. I highly doubt that Jim Mora is thinking that way! We have much more talent on this roster and perhaps, more importantly, a far better attitude. We will be fun to watch and hopefully get some nice wins. Giving up on the season after the injuries yesterday is clearly a wrong move given the attitude of the new staff and players this team began showing it has yesterday! Let’s enjoy it, instead of trying to predict why we won’t be successful!

Reaction Score
Good thing they brought in 800 WRs. Ross and Marion really good players.

As far as QB, I don’t have an appetite for true frosh growing pains, but what you gonna do? Would like to see them work Millen in a bit.
Is Matt Drayton healthy?

Reaction Score
It’s a lost season. You have to invest in your most talented QB, which is Turner. All in on 2023 from here on out.
Kind of a stupid post. Give them a chance. They are not quitting so why should you?

Reaction Score
Way too early for a definitive conclusion on the ability/viability of each quarterback. The season just started. Roberson only attempted 2 passes. It's not like he was lighting it up. We don't know how he would have played for the entire game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I understand that "lost season" may not necessarily describe what you intended, but we're in no shape to concede anything in favor of playing the best guys available all the time.

We're in dire need of instilling a culture of competitiveness and not accepting losing. That starts in 2022, there is zero reason to defer anything for 2023.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
And that is a huge problem unless we switch over to a more option style, which with the runners we have might not be ineffective.

I'm pretty sure Tyler Phommachanh can make the throws both QB's were asked to make yesterday. It's clear the job is to keep defenses honest for the running game. QB is the biggest question mark. Every other area looked improved enough from last season to be able to expect wins, which is all we really wanted. Better QB play would have had us right there at the end vs. the comfortable arms length USU was able to use to finish out the game. The biggest knock is that both picks were really bad and both were on the QB putting the ball to the wrong side of the receiver. Can't have that.

Freshman, emergency call, first game, on the road, tough opponent (though other than the QB I think they looked overrated), yes all that. It was irritating reading people anointing him as the future based on nothing in the preseason. It's worse after a what was a lousy performance. The solution remains the same, he gets better quickly or we try someone else. I think even Randy could figure this one out.

Zion gets a cupcake to show off and maybe Millen gets a series or two. Make the call for the Syracuse game and go from there knowing Michigan and NC State could get ugly and probably not informative for whomever is playing.

To be fair, Tyler Phommachanh had one decent game (vs Vandy) in his third game. His first two appearances were just as abysmal as Zions (not quite but I'm not splitting hairs, an 'F' grade is an 'F').

Reaction Score
Houston is faster…I say move him and Rosa to slot….let Burns get reps in the backfield with Carter and Brewton.
I don’t remember hearing Rosa’s name mentioned yesterday… did he see any action? Announcers seemed like USU homers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He will, but more importantly, Charlton will be working up plays that played his strength. Between the experience he got yesterday, playing against the lesser opponent, his innate athleticism, and having an offensive scheme designed around his talents, I fully expect him to look pretty good next weekend.
It appears Zion is capable of throwing on the run, so I'd expect more of that. Certainly less short dropbacks as those will get swatted down.

Reaction Score
Again, I didn't see this. What I saw was a guy who made a lot of bad throws, wobbly on his feet and short on poise in the pocket. Circumstances what they were, it's not surprising but that was a long way from a starting QB performance. Objectively, it was awful.
Objectively, you are correct. It was a poor performance by any reasonable standard. He needs to sit and develop. I’d give Millen a shot and if he doesn’t work out yank him and go to Puma. We need somebody that can sustain drives. His low release is also a major problem that is going to kill us. Give him a year with good QB instruction on mechanics and he’ll be much better.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the discussion about Tyler P. It is quite possible that he’s just not physically well enough to play yet. Frankly, the way the game went yesterday, if he was well enough to play I would have put him in. I’m not a huge fan of what he did last year, but what he did last year was better than what ZT was doing yesterday.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the discussion about Tyler P. It is quite possible that he’s just not physically well enough to play yet. Frankly, the way the game went yesterday, if he was well enough to play I would have put him in. I’m not a huge fan of what he did last year, but what he did last year was better than what ZT was doing yesterday.
He’s much more slippery than Zion is.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Zions height is? Most articles list him at 6’1 but Uconn has him at 5’11… a article in the Hartford courant says he has the strongest arm of the 4… but if he has any chance of getting drafted the cut off seems to be 6’

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The thing I was most glad to see is the improved tackling. It's game 1, I hope they can keep that up as the fatigue of the season builds.
This! Our tackling was way better than last year. There were many times where a runner may have broken a tackle but only got another yard or two before they were met with another player or two who brought him down. Last year, a broken tackle at the LOS or behind resulted in a guaranteed 10 yards if not more. It was refreshing to see gang tackles and stops on 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom