Roberson and Marion likely out for season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roberson and Marion likely out for season

Reaction Score
I expected Mora to give Millen some run as Zion really looked overwhelmed. On the post game show Mora seemed to give Zion the starting job going forward, boy I'm really not seeing it.

2nd half looked like the ghost of FHCRE2.0 took over the play calling.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree, I like what I saw from Zion today but although he is mobile he is not a true dual threat QB like Tyler Phommachanh was last year.
He is a better passer and I want a quarterback that can do both well, and we saw that Tyler last year was lacking in passing ability

Reaction Score
He is a better passer and I want a quarterback that can do both well, and we saw that Tyler last year was lacking in passing ability

I don't think Zion proved he is a better passer than Tyler Phommachanh today. I'm not knocking Zion, he did well for a true freshman making his first start but so did Tyler Phommachanh last year and Tyler Phommachanh had much worse support. For the people who think Zion has a better arm, i'm sorry but he didn't show a better arm than Tyler Phommachanh today.

The idea that Puma has a weak arm is just a silly boneyard myth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I watched a Mora post game interview and he never said they were out for the year. That may be the case and I think he is leaning that way but he also said in “coach speak”, let’s see what the MRI or X-ray shows.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I watched a Mora post game interview and he never said they were out for the year. That may be the case and I think he is leaning that way but he also said in “coach speak”, let’s see what the MRI or X-ray shows.

A large part of that is players need to get full medical evaluation before a definitive answer.

On injuries like those two had there's only so much that can be evaluated at the stadium.

Reaction Score
We can be competitive if Turner is better than realistic expectations would dictate. I’m not saying the players should lay down, but we’ll be better off if we invest in the underclassmen now. We can still win 2-4 games.

But can we be real for a minute? We’re down our DC, starting QB, and best 2 receiving options, among other players. We’re in year 1 with a new HC. Can you really blame anyone if this ends up being a lost season with all that context?

Losing 45 to 0 is the start of a lost season. Down 4 on the road to USU in Q4 is a good start and may mean we can get 4-5 wins this year. Of course we need better QB play, but does anyone think that we can’t beat CCSU, UMass, Cuse, Ball State, FIU, Libery, or Army? If we bring what we brought yesterday we will be in each of these games.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think Zion proved he is a better passer than Tyler Phommachanh today. I'm not knocking Zion, he did well for a true freshman making his first start but so did Tyler Phommachanh last year and Tyler Phommachanh had much worse support. For the people who think Zion has a better arm, i'm sorry but he didn't show a better arm than Tyler Phommachanh today.

This. We can't predict the future and I doubt any of them will get draft buzz, but we need better play from the position at any cost.

This in no way can be played as a lost season. That's just silly. We looked so much better in a lot of areas. It's not fair to anyone, fans included, under any circumstances. We can beat CCSU, Cuse, FIU, Ball State, UMass and give Army and Liberty a good scare with just a credible passing game.

It's on Mora and Zion to figure it out or let someone else play. I expect a vastly improved game from Zion vs CCSU, but he should only get a few series to figure it out. I don't want a question mark at QB going into the Cuse game. Again, it's not fair to the rest of the squad.

Reaction Score
Good thing they brought in 800 WRs. Ross and Marion really good players.

As far as QB, I don’t have an appetite for true frosh growing pains, but what you gonna do? Would like to see them work Millen in a bit.
I liked what I saw from Millen with his running ability on that one play, and he’s tall enough to easily see over defenses.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
A lost season, after the first game where they had a chance to win if the refs didn't screw them on a third down pass interference against a team on the road who was favored by 27 points. Give me a break.
That was just an abysmal call. Couldn’t believe it.

Reaction Score
Post game comment:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A lost season of that’s your attitude go away

It's the most excited we've been after losing the first game in a long time. I really hope Zion can get over the shell shock. Would make a world of difference.

The thing I was most glad to see is the improved tackling. It's game 1, I hope they can keep that up as the fatigue of the season builds.

Reaction Score
I disagree: you play best player in go u think can win the game.

All these guys had 3 or more years left.

I can give turner some slack, tough spot, but he was 11-32 with 2 bad interceptions. They had a RB go for 190 yards rushing. This wasn’t on offensive line, which I thought was good.

I don’t know if Millen is a player, but ya gotta believe someone who was recruited to Oregon can throw the ball.

I know nothing and am trusting Mora and Charlton on this. But, he has to dramatically improve agaisnt ccsu. I am sure he won the No. 2 job straight up. So. He should get nod. But I don’t like the fact the next two guys weren’t here this spring. .

Play to win the game. Completely agree. Not the time to give up on the season to develop a QB (that may or may not be the answer).

Reaction Score
I expected Mora to give Millen some run as Zion really looked overwhelmed. On the post game show Mora seemed to give Zion the starting job going forward, boy I'm really not seeing it.

2nd half looked like the ghost of FHCRE2.0 took over the play calling.
I agree Zion, while he competed, did not look ready. He doesn’t have that extra gear of speed and his height limits his pocket progressions. He also had at least two balls batted down. When he rolls out, the field shrinks for his receivers and how many second team receivers are going to get great separation?

Reaction Score
For all the resident Chicken Littles here, get this straight: nothing is a "lost season", especially when you're starting this season where we currently are as a football program. Every season is about developing players, learning the coach's system, developing confidence in each other and learning how to not only get better, but learning how to win games, and building a winning culture. Yes, we've had horrible luck with injuries already this past week and in seasons past it seems. But you don't give up on the season after 1 game. Next man up. We have other capable players on this roster that can fill the role and get better.

Zion looked in over his head yesterday. First college game for the freshman coming in off the bench against that team in that environment. It's asking a lot. Best thing he can do is work with the coaches this week and be ready to go against CCSU. I expect the whole team will come out hungry and energized and should put on a solid performance. There's just a sense around this year that this program really wants to win. We're all sick & tired of the constant losing and I'm sure they are even moreso.

UConn will be ready to go next weekend and the rest of this season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's the most excited we've been after losing the first game in a long time. I really hope Zion can get over the shell shock. Would make a world of difference.
He will, but more importantly, Charlton will be working up plays that played his strength. Between the experience he got yesterday, playing against the lesser opponent, his innate athleticism, and having an offensive scheme designed around his talents, I fully expect him to look pretty good next weekend.

Reaction Score

To think Tyler Phommachanh is a good QB is a boneyard myth.

Reaction Score
To think Tyler Phommachanh is a good QB is a boneyard myth.

Well of the three remaining he has accomplished the most at the college level. Time will tell. If you can't recognize his potential you are just showing you know nothing about football or maybe have a faulty memory.

Reaction Score
Turner just looked over his head yesterday. And I think the play calling after Roberson went down was remarkably vanilla. I think Carlton was trying to be conservative to “protect” the kid, but almost went too far in that direction. There needs to be a more aggressive mind set next week and in the future. I hope they design a game plan that is suited to his game, but if he doesn’t move the chains pretty effectively they can’t wait. Need to bring in Millen. I suspect they are holding Puma back until he is more fully recovered.

Reaction Score
Tyler didn’t show much as a passer, but looked explosive as a runner.
And that is a huge problem unless we switch over to a more option style, which with the runners we have might not be ineffective.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
To everyone calling for more Millen, how many practices have you seen with Millen at QB with the 1s to know that is the right thing to do? We have a package that teams need to prepare for. Give Millen time to build off of that.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Didn't
To everyone calling for more Millen, how many practices have you seen with Millen at QB with the 1s to know that is the right thing to do? We have a package that teams need to prepare for. Give Millen time to build off of that.
The only reason I said I was surprised we didn't see more Millen was because he was listed as an "or" on the depth chart. To me that says they see him as a equal to the other three.

So...I would guess the 4 "ors" was more gamesmanship than anything. Which is fine....all teams do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom