Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ll accept conventional wisdom that this move is a net negative for our AD. But I am giddy at the thought of actually caring about an in-conference basketball game again. If the ship be sinking, I’m going to enjoy the ride down.
It's not conventional wisdom that it's a net negative for the department as a whole. We can't know the answer to that yet. It's conventional wisdom that it helps the basketball programs a lot but puts football in a very, very precarious spot. How far each will fall on the spectrum of positive/negative in either direction remains to be seen.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1. Inept leadership and a lack of any vision years ago screwed our P5 ambition. We should be in the ACC. Period.

2. P5 isn't expanding. That dream is dead. The incremental value any new add would have to bring to a league would be a huge figure to increase a payout across the board.

3. The Big East will be a huge boost to hoops. Meaningful games, crowds, recruiting, coverage, rivals, it's not the old Big East but the double round robin plus MSG is going to be awesome.

4. For those saying football is now dead, where have you been the past 8 years? Even if UConn got better - and our ceiling is what 8 wins - nobody cares about the opponents and nobody ever will.

5. I think the ESPN+ deal was the final straw. That was an absolute disgrace of a contract. Playing on some bizare channel in front of 761 people vs Tulane will not be missed.

6. I say try and make a go of it as a FBS Independent for as long as the school can stomach the subsidy. I imagine SNY would pick up our games and I imagine Fox helping us schedule some opponents. Obviously no bowl tie-ins or national coverage for home games but I'll need to see the final details before concluding something.

7. I think there's a miniscule chance that in the future the leagues may break up into smaller, more regional leagues. Keeping a program would allow us to join something like that down the line.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
UConn has outstanding football facilities. The investment was substantial and that is the reason I resisted joining the UConn to the BE movement. First was the ACC disappointment followed by the Big disappointment.
WE managed to completely screw up football once Edsall snuck out and left. UConn had reasonable success but could never take the next step in recruiting even during our best times.
I am now ready to throw in the towel and support UConn to the NBE. There is no good reason for us to be in the AAC other than football. It was always meant to be a temporary stop until we got a P 5 invite. The invite didn't happen and it will never to happen. Time to move on.
The basketball program will be better off in the NBE for a lot of reasons and it is difficult to see how basing UConn's athletic future on a football program that is in the dumpster with little hope to get better in the near future.
I find the “but we’re going to destroy our football program!” Argument particularly funny. We were one of the worst football teams in the history of the sport last year, we had a negative point differential of like 35 a game, the stadium was always empty. “But were not going to be able to recruit kids!” Is also funny we routine lose recruiting battles to fbs schools right now, didn’t we have the worst class in the country coming in in 2018? Nothing changes our primary selling point is still that we’re a FCS football program. The football program was already destroyed. We aren’t getting a damn P5 invite. There’s no where lower to go folks!

Reaction Score
This P5 isn't expanding crap gets so old.

Either way, enjoy the ruin of this school if it doesn't find a conference after the Big East. We won't be a Public Ivy stuck in that conference.

There's a Michigan fan in total disbelief on the football board that people on here couldn't give a crap for the football program. He called this the dumbest move he's ever seen in college sports. So much for civil engineers here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was there for work several years ago and did some research and originally decided to go to Omaha Prime. I walked in solo in the early evening and they asked if I had a reservation. The place was almost empty because it was early on a weeknight. The guy sighed and gave me attitude and said it would be a 30-to-40-minute wait. I figured hey screw him, I’m in Omaha and there is a ton of great steak, so I turned on my heel and got in a cab to Gorat’s. It turned into an epic night where I was almost married off to one of the owner’s daughters. Steak was great—I got the one that Buffett gets—but she also brought me dishes made with stuff from her garden and I got the royal treatment for reasons I will never fully understand. Truly made to feel like one of the family. A few of them insisted that I looked like Bill Maher, which is something I never heard before or since, and I don’t think is accurate (or flattering).

So, it was one of those nights that makes you remember a place. And it was a good night.

They're Sally's and Pepe's -- 1a and 1b. Some prefer one, some the other, most people would call it a wash. Everybody knows the Oracle is a Gorat's (pronounced almost like "Grotz") guy.

Walking into Johnny's was like walking into 1975. Food was very good though. I got an "Omaha strip" and I didn't regret it.

Reaction Score
1. Inept leadership and a lack of any vision years ago screwed our P5 ambition. We should be in the ACC. Period.

2. P5 isn't expanding. That dream is dead. The incremental value any new add would have to bring to a league would be a huge figure to increase a payout across the board.

3. The Big East will be a huge boost to hoops. Meaningful games, crowds, recruiting, coverage, rivals, it's not the old Big East but the double round robin plus MSG is going to be awesome.

4. For those saying football is now dead, where have you been the past 8 years? Even if UConn got better - and our ceiling is what 8 wins - nobody cares about the opponents and nobody ever will.

5. I think the ESPN+ deal was the final straw. That was an absolute disgrace of a contract. Playing on some bizare channel in front of 761 people vs Tulane will not be missed.

6. I say try and make a go of it as a FBS Independent for as long as the school can stomach the subsidy. I imagine SNY would pick up our games and I imagine Fox helping us schedule some opponents. Obviously no bowl tie-ins or national coverage for home games but I'll need to see the final details before concluding something.

7. I think there's a miniscule chance that in the future the leagues may break up into smaller, more regional leagues. Keeping a program would allow us to join something like that down the line.
we really need to hope that Fox is really excited and is a willing partner to help as much as possible with football. Their influence and input will probably direct how the football schedules work out. There is a chance that while the overall schedule may not be as good, we could end up with more marquee matchups every year

Reaction Score
This P5 isn't expanding crap gets so old.

Either way, enjoy the ruin of this school if it doesn't find a conference after the Big East. We won't be a Public Ivy stuck in that conference.

There's a Michigan fan in total disbelief on the football board that people on here couldn't give a crap for the football program. So much for civic engineers here.

Binghamton and Delaware are public ivies...Anyways, who cares? How many kids at UConn know it’s a public ivy anyway?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I stopped reading after this. Another rehash?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Go down by choice in the most stupidest way imaginable. People of CT screwed up really badly here.
Destroy a whole academic institution for...basketball. Even if we've benefitted from it.
No matter how many times you say it, I still don't get how bailing on a crappy FB situation hurts the school. Probably because it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Binghamton and Delaware are public ivies...Anyways, who cares? How many kids at UConn know it’s a public ivy anyway?
You got a point there but the school still has a chance to go higher.

I am sure plenty do.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
we really need to hope that Fox is really excited and is a willing partner to help as much as possible with football. Their influence and input will probably direct how the football schedules work out. There is a chance that while the overall schedule may not be as good, we could end up with more marquee matchups every year

Absolutely. I'd imagine some sort of scheduling arrangement with the other Independents, the non-P5 locals, and some help from Fox.

Also, I could see playing in the MAC but having Fox help us schedule 4 OOC games with their properties.

I just think that no matter what, UConn wasn't going to be successful in the AAC due to geography and ambivilance.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Go down by choice in the most stupidest way imaginable. People of CT screwed up really badly here.

Destroy a whole academic institution for...basketball. Even if we've benefitted from it.

I was never a fan of joining the NBE so, believe me, I get the arguments, but you say that like we've not always been a basketball school.

This is, above everything else, a UConn basketball site. So good luck convincing people that prioritizing basketball isn't a good thing. UConn is a basketball school, and that's what it always will be. Always. Basketball should always come first. The only question to me is whether in the long run this will be good for basketball. I always thought a P5 invite was better for basketball because of the schedule and money, but I don't see that happening anytime soon -- and I guess the university didn't either.

Reaction Score
I just think that no matter what, UConn wasn't going to be successful in the AAC due to geography and ambivilance.

I think that's the part that everyone is missing. And not to get into it too much in regards to recruiting/strategy but we were never going to compete at the top of the AAC in football with all the Texas and Florida schools. We simply can't recruit to that style of play.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Relax man, it’s been a long December and there’s reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last.

Welp, at least now I know who the 4 Adam Duritz fans on the Yard are

Reaction Score
Mixed feeing toward this however comparing the options of remaining in AAC and leaving for NBE I think jumping ship is the best option for the school at this moment. Reality is the football program wasn’t getting anywhere. There was never any solid evidence of B10,B12, or ACC showing any interest in the school. We’re waiting for the day that will never come.

At this point I just want to see a competitive league. Most of the AAC seasons were wasted. I miss MSG atmosphere and the sell out crowd. Being able play against schools like Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s and others is a much better option than playing the schools in AAC (with exception of DePaul) Yes, it’s not the BE and it’s like living the past but these can be renewed and has the potential to recapture the glory. The reactions from most the NBE schools have been positive. I’m excited about renewing the rivalries especially with GT and PC. Villanova have been very impressive lately winning two national championships. The new additions - Butler, Creighton, and Xavier are promising schools. It’s going to take a few years to get used to but I believe it will benefit UConn in the long run especially when NBE get a new TV contract. I don’t see much to gain by staying in AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom