Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Heard Hartford to Dallas is shorter than Hartford to NYC.

You actually didn’t - I gave you the rail time to NYC from Htfd and the air time from BDW to DFW and they aren’t that different.

Reaction Score
You can be pissed about the football program but it’s stupid to say this will hurt recruiting in basketball. Kids would rather play in the big east, it’s just a fact. Recruiting wasn’t what dug UConn in this hole anyway, but it will be easier to get top 50 types now.

We haven’t even found out the football team’s fate, but it’s good to know we have so many geniuses here that know for a fact that UConn is killing itself. If only you were in charge of the athletic department.

We’ll see how the next few years go.
A "fact". You're myopic.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I have very mixed feelings but I do think it will help with basketball recruiting. I had my doubts about the NBE -- it isn't and will never be the real OBE -- but Nova's success is real and obtainable for us.

It sucks to see UConn wave the flag on a P5 invite, but at a certain point you stop hoping for a miracle and just pull the plug after not seeing any brain activity for a while.

Maybe this is choosing short term gain over long term gain but the AAC is garbage, was not fun to watch, and definitely hurt recruiting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The problem remains that neither the AAC nor the New Big East are good situations for us.

The AAC is a better conference, but not for us. It is a recruiting negative for us because of the travel and the lack of geographical and cultural fit. For most other teams in the conference it is a recruiting positive. The SNY screw job must have sealed our fate.

The NBE is a better cultural and regional fit and a better brand for us, even if based largely on nostalgia for something that no longer exists. It is not a good institutional fit and it is a dead end that will kill football and baseball. I’m actually more sad about the latter, because our baseball program is top notch.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mostly dead

Reaction Score
2 rematches a year of the greatest basketball game ever played, the 2011 national championship.

Very true.

And I will be in attendance every time UConn is playing Butler in Indiana. Can't wait to finally see them again in Indiana.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife is originally from Omaha. We went to Johnny's.
I was there for work several years ago and did some research and originally decided to go to Omaha Prime. I walked in solo in the early evening and they asked if I had a reservation. The place was almost empty because it was early on a weeknight. The guy sighed and gave me attitude and said it would be a 30-to-40-minute wait. I figured hey screw him, I’m in Omaha and there is a ton of great steak, so I turned on my heel and got in a cab to Gorat’s. It turned into an epic night where I was almost married off to one of the owner’s daughters. Steak was great—I got the one that Buffett gets—but she also brought me dishes made with stuff from her garden and I got the royal treatment for reasons I will never fully understand. Truly made to feel like one of the family. A few of them insisted that I looked like Bill Maher, which is something I never heard before or since, and I don’t think is accurate (or flattering).

So, it was one of those nights that makes you remember a place. And it was a good night.

Reaction Score
To be published next year:

“Both UConn and Cincinnati had been under consideration for a Big Ten invite, but when UConn left for the New Big East it confirmed the concerns about its football program and made Cincinnati the easy choice.”

Rest easy. Cincy will never get an invitation to the B1G unless and until Ohio State decides to drop football and joins the New Big East.

Reaction Score
I feel that this is a great time to embrace UGA for football and stick to UCONN for basketball. I'll of course continue to follow UCONN football.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Gotta be pumped for those creighton, marquette, and depaul trips huh
Those are 2hr 200 dollar flights not saying I'll be there but that's pretty God damn easy to get to

Reaction Score
Wrong board
Considering it's mentioned countlessly? Nope. This is a college board, correct? These kids go to class?

Lame board. No vision. We got really weak and pathetic fans. No plans what to do with the football program just stated by media. If we don't make it to the P5, joke will be on our fans. This is an unprecedented move.

Reaction Score
Considering it's mentioned countlessly? Nope. This is a college board, correct? These kids go to class?

Lame board. No vision. We got really weak and pathetic fans. No plans what to do with the football program just stated by media. If we don't make it to the P5, joke will be on our fans. This is an unprecedented move.
Yes, that's correct. The reason we won't make it into a P5 conference is because of internet message board fans.

Reaction Score
I guess someone may have already said this, but I did not read every post-I think the recent contract that boxed out SNY kind of clinched this. I was hoping the football team had a chance to be relevant again...I will be shocked if that happens.

Reaction Score
Guess I’m in the 1%. I really care. When UConn football was InTheir 3rd or 4th year at the Rent we could fill the stadium or close to it. When UConn mbb plays a good team they can get 16+ thousand at the XL Center. Even if 16 thousand of those fans were mbb fand that still leaves 23 or more fb fans than B.B. fans. We have had season tickets for many years for fb! Never for B.B. I get better seats at the fb a lot cheaper than I can get decent seats in the lower level at the XL. Don’t get me wrong I love UConn B.B. and try to get to a game but that’s it.

We can fill MSG......

Reaction Score
UConn has outstanding football facilities. The investment was substantial and that is the reason I resisted joining the UConn to the BE movement. First was the ACC disappointment followed by the Big disappointment.
WE managed to completely screw up football once Edsall snuck out and left. UConn had reasonable success but could never take the next step in recruiting even during our best times.
I am now ready to throw in the towel and support UConn to the NBE. There is no good reason for us to be in the AAC other than football. It was always meant to be a temporary stop until we got a P 5 invite. The invite didn't happen and it will never to happen. Time to move on.
The basketball program will be better off in the NBE for a lot of reasons and it is difficult to see how basing UConn's athletic future on a football program that is in the dumpster with little hope to get better in the near future.

Reaction Score
I’ll accept conventional wisdom that this move is a net negative for our AD. But I am giddy at the thought of actually caring about an in-conference basketball game again. If the ship be sinking, I’m going to enjoy the ride down.
Go down by choice in the most stupidest way imaginable. People of CT screwed up really badly here.

Destroy a whole academic institution for...basketball. Even if we've benefitted from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom