Red Sox Panic Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Red Sox Panic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or the fact that Buchholz may be back in time for the playoffs. Or that Beckett threw off the mound today. Or the fact that the Sox still have one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

Beckett did not "sprain his ankle" as he never turned it. I'd be concerned about what happened there. Buccy, well "in time for the playoffs" after not pitching? Not sure how well that goes..........to not worry is not being realistic............hell I'm 4 up on you and I'm worried about my staff and it's ugly!

Reaction Score
Beckett did not "sprain his ankle" as he never turned it. I'd be concerned about what happened there. Buccy, well "in time for the playoffs" after not pitching? Not sure how well that goes..........to not worry is not being realistic............hell I'm 4 up on you and I'm worried about my staff and it's ugly!

If there was pitching that I am worried about, it's our bullpen starting to fold. The starting pitching will be there for the playoffs, which we will make. :)

Reaction Score
I thnk my post to NHUconnfan was pretty clear. He was feeling comfortable based on the 1.8% chance of the Rays making the playoffs.

The facts don't show that based on how the Sox are playing, how injured they are and how well the Rays are playing.

How you feeling about it?

I made that pretty clear in my initial post (second sentence). I still don't know where you stand. You see the sox making the playoffs or not?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"Yanks won yesterday on a dropped fly ball or else they would be on a 5 game skid. Not at all excited about the way they are swinging the bats heading in and their starting pitching changes week to week. Now Colon looks to be 2 or 3 with Nova and Garcia can't get anyone out. Both teams are Scary Bad and the Rays with those pitchers look pretty tough!"

I'm late to this. Actually, no one knows who would have won the dropped-ball game, because if he had caught it. it would have been a sac fly to tie the game. And last night, the Yankees beat up on King Felix.

The % of chance to make the playoffs is totally silly stuff. The teams play each other so often, you can throw the odds away. Right now, the Rays have the strongest pitching staff of the 3 and that must be factored into to any equation. The Yanks pitching is now arguably 2nd to the Rays among the 3 and the Sux are third, but that is like comparing two Edsels. NY is down to using two raw rookies behind the plate, with Posada as the back up. Martin probably returns soon.

Aside: This is my first post on the new system. The quote system to reply to a specific post doesn't seem to show who wrote the quoted post the way the old site did, or am I doing it wrong?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I made that pretty clear in my initial post (second sentence). I still don't know where you stand. You see the sox making the playoffs or not?
Again, sorry. I did not go back and re-read your post.

I kinda agree with you. The big part is that they had 10 home games left and they are a much better team at home than on the road.

I might give you a different answer on Monday. If Beckett pitches well against the Rays this weekend (looks like the plan) and wins, the Sox should hold on.

Reaction Score
Greetings from Tampa.

Quite the interesting turn of events in the AL east. Has unlikely has it sounds I think Tampa will over take Boston for the WC and here is why...

Beating Toronto twice with Morrow and Romero will be tough. I would predict a split with both Wakefield and Lacket getting lit up causing Bos to over use its pen. TB will roll over Bal the next two leaving them 2 out going into the 4 games at Fenway.

Tampa's most dynamic hitters are hot. Longo,Upton and Joyce are all stinging it. Desmond Jennings has changed the order placing a playmaker at the top.

Tampa pitchers own Boston the past couple series. In the past 6 games vs. TB boston has scored 3 , 2, 0 , 2 , 5 , 1. All five starters are pitching well and confidence is sky high. Bostons pitchers goal is to get into the 6th-7th, TB's are looking for complete game shutouts.

Beckett is hurt and may be rushing his return.

The Matt Moore era is here. He may get a start vs. NYY in the doubleheader. he is the best pitching prospect in baseball and the best TB has ever had including Price. Like Price in 2008 he will be a factor and maybe like Chris Carpenter will be that extra arm that noone has seen who puts them over the top. I can't wait for the first Gonzo,Crawford,Oritiz matchups out of the pen.

Joe Maddon has his team playing loose while Oritz and the Boys are tighter then a New Orleans funeral parade snare drum. If Maddon steals this WC he should be considered the best manager in baseball.

I agree that the Yanks won't put the pedal to the medal once its locked up just as they did last year they will ease up at the end and take some satisfaction in screwing over Boston.

Buck Showalter hates Boston and will steal a couple games with smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't be surprised to see some hit batters and ugly games.

Daniel Baird is done and Papelboon can't do it alone.

Crawford has no fire in his belly and wishes he was still with Tampa where playing baseball was fun. He will be the scapegoat when the dust clears.

This should be a fun couple of weeks. May the best team win.

Reaction Score
So the Orioles will win a few games because Buck Showalter hates Boston?

Geez, if that's the case, then why aren't the Sox going 18-0 against the Yanks this year? :)

Breathtaking analysis sinkhole, as always...

Reaction Score
You guys just keep wheeling out Miller, Lackey, Wakefield and the scared kid.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You're really stretching.

16 games left. If the Sox go .500, TB has to go .688 to tie. Just think about that. TB has 11 of their 16 games against the Sox and the Yankees. I just seriously don't think it's going to happen.
I believe the Rays have four left with the Sox. If they take three out of four (not even as good as they did over the weekend) the Sox are one game better, with enough other games remaing where that won't be much.

Reaction Score
You guys just keep wheeling out Miller, Lackey, Wakefield and the scared kid.

You lost a game tonight, sink. Losing to Buck's bums is not good. And with 15 to play you're running out of time. If TB were to somehow lose and the Sox win tomorrow then they'd be 5 back with 14 to play, that would mean you'd have to take four in a row from Boston later this week or you are toast. Very unlikely.

Reaction Score
You lost a game tonight, sink. Losing to Buck's bums is not good. And with 15 to play you're running out of time. If TB were to somehow lose and the Sox win tomorrow then they'd be 5 back with 14 to play, that would mean you'd have to take four in a row from Boston later this week or you are toast. Very unlikely.

Exactly why I am not freaking out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is zero panic in my mind. Que sera sera.

Reaction Score
Greetings from Tampa.

Quite the interesting turn of events in the AL east. Has unlikely has it sounds I think Tampa will over take Boston for the WC and here is why...

Beating Toronto twice with Morrow and Romero will be tough. I would predict a split with both Wakefield and Lacket getting lit up causing Bos to over use its pen. TB will roll over Bal the next two leaving them 2 out going into the 4 games at Fenway.

Tampa's most dynamic hitters are hot. Longo,Upton and Joyce are all stinging it. Desmond Jennings has changed the order placing a playmaker at the top.

Tampa pitchers own Boston the past couple series. In the past 6 games vs. TB boston has scored 3 , 2, 0 , 2 , 5 , 1. All five starters are pitching well and confidence is sky high. Bostons pitchers goal is to get into the 6th-7th, TB's are looking for complete game shutouts.

Beckett is hurt and may be rushing his return.

The Matt Moore era is here. He may get a start vs. NYY in the doubleheader. he is the best pitching prospect in baseball and the best TB has ever had including Price. Like Price in 2008 he will be a factor and maybe like Chris Carpenter will be that extra arm that noone has seen who puts them over the top. I can't wait for the first Gonzo,Crawford,Oritiz matchups out of the pen.

Joe Maddon has his team playing loose while Oritz and the Boys are tighter then a New Orleans funeral parade snare drum. If Maddon steals this WC he should be considered the best manager in baseball.

I agree that the Yanks won't put the pedal to the medal once its locked up just as they did last year they will ease up at the end and take some satisfaction in screwing over Boston.

Buck Showalter hates Boston and will steal a couple games with smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't be surprised to see some hit batters and ugly games.

Daniel Baird is done and Papelboon can't do it alone.

Crawford has no fire in his belly and wishes he was still with Tampa where playing baseball was fun. He will be the scapegoat when the dust clears.

This should be a fun couple of weeks. May the best team win.

What a maroon.......

Reaction Score
A heck of a start to the "Matt Moore" era. Yep, Boston is in big trouble and every other team in MLB as well. Be afraid...be very afraid....

1 1/3 innings, 3 hits, 2 earned runs and a 13.5 ERA after his first appearance. I can't wait to see the "prospect" catcher Tampon Bay has that is WAY better than Montero. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A heck of a start to the "Matt Moore" era. Yep, Boston is in big trouble and every other team in MLB as well. Be afraid...be very afraid....

1 1/3 innings, 3 hits, 2 earned runs and a 13.5 ERA after his first appearance. I can't wait to see the "prospect" catcher Tampon Bay has that is WAY better than Montero. :rolleyes:

Maniac is that Moores stats or Bards??:)

Reaction Score
Carl Crawford's 2011 WAR 0.2
Jesus Montero's 2011 WAR 0.3

Reaction Score
It's much lower than 12% because you have to factor in the fact that if the Red Sox win against TB with their remaining games that it counts 2 against TB in the magic number. The real percentage will come out tomorrow on Baseball Prospectus but I don't expect it to be much higher than 5 or 6%
mighty big IF

Reaction Score
MWAHAHAHAHAHA
4 of 5 out of the starting rotation is killing them. The bullpen which has been outstanding all year is burned out.. They will still likely make the playoffs but they will go nowhere with lackey and some minor leaguers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
at this point i'd take about even odds the sox miss the playoffs. oh well. we will see if they can turn it around.

and btw, i disagree with the poster who said the sox are in control right now. sure i'd rather be up 3 games than down 3 games but the rays have the momentum and the sox do not.

Reaction Score
The Sux needed this one....Price vs Wake tomorrow.Don't choke Rays.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Amazing stat shown by Fox...Carl Crawford at 14 million had the same stats as Sam Fuld and Desmond Jennings who combined for about 850 thousand.

Reaction Score
It's over. Tampa really doesn't have a realistic shot of making the playoffs given the remaining schedules. We'll criticize the Sox in the playoffs. Until then, this is really all just moot.

Reaction Score
It's over. Tampa really doesn't have a realistic shot of making the playoffs given the remaining schedules. We'll criticize the Sox in the playoffs. Until then, this is really all just moot.
TB is still very much alive. Win today and its two. Baltimore is on fire just in time to play 7 vs. the Sox.
Nice to see Matt Moore join the race last night.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Or the fact that Buchholz may be back in time for the playoffs. Or that Beckett threw off the mound today. Or the fact that the Sox still have one of the most explosive offenses in the league.
Buchholtz said yesterday that if he does come back it would be in the bullpen and not as a starter due to not enough time to build up his innings. Lester, Beckett and and the oft injured Bedard? That might be enough for a 5 game series but in a 7 game series, who is the 4th starter? Lackey? Miller? Wake?

If Bedard can go, the sox could be screwed even if they make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom