Red Sox Panic Thread | The Boneyard

Red Sox Panic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Until you realize that Tampa Bay still has only 1.8% chance of getting in the playoffs statistically. So...fail.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sox are closer to 3rd than 1st. You think the Sox have only a 1.8% chance to win the division?

Seriously, the momentum is certainly in the wrong direction for the Sox. They are not only losing, but look really bad in doing it.

But you just keep whistling past the graveyard.

Reaction Score
Sox are closer to 3rd than 1st. You think the Sox have only a 1.8% chance to win the division?

Seriously, the momentum is certainly in the wrong direction for the Sox. They are not only losing, but look really bad in doing it.

Not winning the division, getting into the playoffs (1.8% for TB). Last time I checked, the Sox have a good record being the wild card team in the post season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not winning the division, getting into the playoffs (1.8% for TB). Last time I checked, the Sox have a good record being the wild card team in the post season.
It's up to about 12% at the moment. A three game lead with sixteen left is no slam dunk.

Reaction Score
It's up to about 12% at the moment. A three game lead with sixteen left is no slam dunk.

It's much lower than 12% because you have to factor in the fact that if the Red Sox win against TB with their remaining games that it counts 2 against TB in the magic number. The real percentage will come out tomorrow on Baseball Prospectus but I don't expect it to be much higher than 5 or 6%

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
David Ortiz thinks it's time to panic.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's much lower than 12% because you have to factor in the fact that if the Red Sox win against TB with their remaining games that it counts 2 against TB in the magic number. The real percentage will come out tomorrow on Baseball Prospectus but I don't expect it to be much higher than 5 or 6%
By that logic wouildn't it also be greater because you would also factor in if the Rays beat the Sox it also counts as two?

Below is ESPN current standings. They have TB @ 11.4%. I don't know how close this will be to Baseball Prospectus but I would wager that BP will also be far closer top 12% than 5%-6%.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

Reaction Score
BP has Tampa at 3.1% making the playoffs with 3.0% chance of winning the WC and 0.1% chance of winning the division.

Red Sox are at 96.9% to make the playoffs with a 13.6% chance of winning the division and 83.3% chance of winning the wild card.

Reaction Score

By graveyard do you mean not making the playoffs or doing poorly in the playoffs. No doubt the Sox are playing poorly and have issues but I still see them making the playoffs. They have seven games left with Buck's bums while TB has seven left with NY. Yanks haven't beeen tearing it up either, my friend.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
By graveyard do you mean not making the playoffs or doing poorly in the playoffs. No doubt the Sox are playing poorly and have issues but I still see them making the playoffs. They have seven games left with Buck's bums while TB has seven left with NY. Yanks haven't beeen tearing it up either, my friend.

Yanks had a 4 game slide, 3 of those in extra innings. Not that this is a reason or excuse, but playing the game before that 4 game stretch until 2:30 that morning, playing the next game that afternoon, flight right to Baltimore and then right to LA didn't help either.

And before that they won 6 straight and 8 out of 10. Not even close to how poorly the Sox are playing.

I find the % of making the playoffs to be comical. It doesn't take into consideration that the Sox are struggling and the Rays are on fire. And it doesn't take into consideration that the Sox are really beat up at this time, especially in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Yanks had a 4 game slide, 3 of those in extra innings. Not that this is a reason or excuse, but playing the game before that 4 game stretch until 2:30 that morning, playing the next game that afternoon, flight right to Baltimore and then right to LA didn't help either.

And before that they won 6 straight and 8 out of 10. Not even close to how poorly the Sox are playing.

I find the % of making the playoffs to be comical. It doesn't take into consideration that the Sox are struggling and the Rays are on fire. And it doesn't take into consideration that the Sox are really beat up at this time, especially in the rotation.

You didn't answer my question regarding the graveyard comment.

Reaction Score
Yanks won yesterday on a dropped fly ball or else they would be on a 5 game skid. Not at all excited about the way they are swinging the bats heading in and their starting pitching changes week to week. Now Colon looks to be 2 or 3 with Nova and Garcia can't get anyone out. Both teams are Scary Bad and the Rays with those pitchers look pretty tough!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You didn't answer my question regarding the graveyard comment.
I thnk my post to NHUconnfan was pretty clear. He was feeling comfortable based on the 1.8% chance of the Rays making the playoffs.

The facts don't show that based on how the Sox are playing, how injured they are and how well the Rays are playing.

How you feeling about it?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yanks won yesterday on a dropped fly ball or else they would be on a 5 game skid. Not at all excited about the way they are swinging the bats heading in and their starting pitching changes week to week. Now Colon looks to be 2 or 3 with Nova and Garcia can't get anyone out. Both teams are Scary Bad and the Rays with those pitchers look pretty tough!
But they won. So could of means nothing. And they won 6 in a row before struggling.

It's not even close on how the two teams have played the last 10-12 games.

Reaction Score
I thnk my post to NHUconnfan was pretty clear. He was feeling comfortable based on the 1.8% chance of the Rays making the playoffs.

The facts don't show that based on how the Sox are playing, how injured they are and how well the Rays are playing.

How you feeling about it?

I really, truly, am not worried. All of this "worried" talk is people creating stories for the sake of keeping journalists in business on an otherwise unexciting September for baseball. You gotta look at the facts, and the Red Sox are still overwhelmingly in control of getting a playoff spot.

Reaction Score
I really, truly, am not worried. All of this "worried" talk is people creating stories for the sake of keeping journalists in business on an otherwise unexciting September for baseball. You gotta look at the facts, and the Red Sox are still overwhelmingly in control of getting a playoff spot.

Like the fact that 3 of the Sox starters in the 4 game series against the Rays are Miller, Weiland and Wakefield? And that the Rays are going to be starting Hellickson, Shields, Neiman and Price. Yeah, the Sox are going in the right direction all right.

Reaction Score
Like the fact that 3 of the Sox starters in the 4 game series against the Rays are Miller, Weiland and Wakefield? And that the Rays are going to be starting Hellickson, Shields, Neiman and Price. Yeah, the Sox are going in the right direction all right.

Or the fact that Buchholz may be back in time for the playoffs. Or that Beckett threw off the mound today. Or the fact that the Sox still have one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

Reaction Score
Or the fact that Buchholz may be back in time for the playoffs. Or that Beckett threw off the mound today. Or the fact that the Sox still have one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

So how does that Buchholz may be back for playoffs (if they make it) and Beckett threw off a mound today help them against those pitchers the Rays are throwing in a couple days?

Reaction Score
So how does that Buchholz may be back for playoffs (if they make it) and Beckett threw off a mound today help them against those pitchers the Rays are throwing in a couple days?

You're really stretching.

16 games left. If the Sox go .500, TB has to go .688 to tie. Just think about that. TB has 11 of their 16 games against the Sox and the Yankees. I just seriously don't think it's going to happen.

Reaction Score
You're really stretching.

16 games left. If the Sox go .500, TB has to go .688 to tie. Just think about that. TB has 11 of their 16 games against the Sox and the Yankees. I just seriously don't think it's going to happen.

Have you seen the lineups Girardi is throwing out lately? Girardi is an idiot and rests everyone under the sun at the end of the season. Wait till the last series they play with the Rays if they clinched a playoff spot. The Yanks have called up a ton of minor leaguers this year and Girardi is going to rest all his players.

And you keep saying they are playing the Red Sox. They just swept them and they are throwing their 3 worst pitchers against the Rays best.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the lineups Girardi is throwing out lately? Girardi is an idiot and rests everyone under the sun at the end of the season. Wait till the last series they play with the Rays if they clinched a playoff spot. The Yanks have called up a ton of minor leaguers this year and Girardi is going to rest all his players.

And you keep saying they are playing the Red Sox. They just swept them and they are throwing their 3 worst pitchers against the Rays best.

The Sox also have 7 games against Baltimore...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Girardi is only being an idiot because he isn't playing the called-up pitchers nearly enough.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, god bless your optomism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34