Realignment and expansion on hold, for now (WVSports.com) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Realignment and expansion on hold, for now (WVSports.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have a Cesspool board for this stupidity. You will be in good company over there.

At the risk of being confused with someone who really gives a what you think, I make the following observation. People generally resent being sued personally and needlessly (and many were). That's all. I won't belabor the point.

Reaction Score
I hope that you're being facetious. If the B-XII dies, then UCONN has drawn the short straw yet again. The remaining P-4 would back fill with XII carcass remains & the Huskies would be relegated to CR purgatory once again.

I don't see it that way. The current set up sucks for UConn, we need something to stir the pot and get CR started again. The Big 12 standing pat doesn't do that.

If the Big 12 decides not to expand I hope that it does die. I think that the only way it dies is if someone leaves, and I don't think anyone leaves to go independent. That means that the only way the Big 12 dies is if CR starts up again and someone else expands. I also don't think all current Big 12 teams will find a new home in a power conference. Texas and Oklahoma are probably safe, maybe Kansas too; I think everyone else may have to sweat a little. After Texas and Oklahoma I think UConn may be just as attractive an add as any other Big 12 school.

Best case is that the P5 becomes the P4 UConn joins a P4 as a partner with a former Big 12. Oklahoma and UConn to the B1G for example. Worst case is that UConn is stuck the AAC along with some former Big 12 teams. That would suck, but we won't be any worse off that we currently are.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I just don't get it. The way the Big 12 is set up up right now...it won't survive. Ten teams, small, demographically challenged footprint and it is tremendously top heavy. The ACC is seen to be less stable because, frankly, most of its schools have more value than most of the schools in the Big 12. Outside of Texas, Oklahoma and perhaps Kansas, no one is clamoring for Big 12 schools. VA, VT, UNC, NC St, Duke, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, G Tech and FSU are all more desirable properties than almost all of the Big 12's. I just don't see how the Big 12 can expect to survive without aggressively building value by expansion.

Reaction Score
If the BXII is planning on expanding, would they have any reason to hint at it beforehand? It seems it would make sense for them to tamp down any speculation,whatever their intentions regarding expansion. Did the B1G or ACC telegraph what they were planning before they decided to expand? Every conference says they are content at where their numbers are at before they expand.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gee making those comments is really, really bad. We can think whatever we want about the various parties motivations, but the only part that impacts us is whether the Big 12 adds teams or not. If the answer is "no", then the door is closed at all the P5 for about 8-9 years, and UConn needs to take a hard look at how it is funding its athletic program.

Reaction Score
Gee making those comments is really, really bad. We can think whatever we want about the various parties motivations, but the only part that impacts us is whether the Big 12 adds teams or not. If the answer is "no", then the door is closed at all the P5 for about 8-9 years, and UConn needs to take a hard look at how it is funding its athletic program.

Disagree. Big 12 won't survive without expansion. And, they probably need a conference network to survive as the money differentials between conferences will increase. If the Big 12 doesn't expand and get a conference network, I would think Some of the valuable schools will start plotting their exit strategies.

If the Big 12 doesn't expand this year, the next announced moves will be in 3 to 5 years as as schools give their conferences notice. We can wait if needed.

Finally, what is Gee supposed to say? "Yes, we are going to expand" even though the conference hasn't made a decision yet? There are only two schools that matter when it comes to Big 12 expansion, Texas and Oklahoma. The other schools are hoping and praying that they will be OK when the dust settles.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score

One comment and your on the edge of the cliff again Nelson. And where did 8-9 years come from? We know dropping football is not an option back down to D2 since that will permanently move us from any consideration for the BIG or what is left of ACC or Big 12 if they get picked apart. Big East will not take us as a basketball only. I need to know what you expect UConn to do if this is the case? I get your passion for Uconn Hoops, but I think you are too quick to pull the plug on our chances when everything we hear is from backyard hill billy's and one president who is trying to keep everything quiet right now.

It's too the BIG and Big 12 advantage to say nothing is going to happen if the ACC is going to get picked apart in the future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One comment and your on the edge of the cliff again Nelson. And where did 8-9 years come from? We know dropping football is not an option back down to D2 since that will permanently move us from any consideration for the BIG or what is left of ACC or Big 12 if they get picked apart. Big East will not take us as a basketball only. I need to know what you expect UConn to do if this is the case? I get your passion for Uconn Hoops, but I think you are too quick to pull the plug on our chances when everything we hear is from backyard hill billy's and one president who is trying to keep everything quiet right now.

It's too the BIG and Big 12 advantage to say nothing is going to happen if the ACC is going to get picked apart in the future.

The athletic department has about a $20 to $30 million a year hole. Neither UConn nor the state is interested in funding that for the next 8 years, The ONLY evidence we have that something may change on the conference or revenue front is that Herbst continues to invest in the athletic program because that investment doesn't make a lot of sense right now on the surface of it, and with state funding getting cut, I do not see how this funding is viable long term.

Reaction Score
I hope that you're being facetious. If the B-XII dies, then UCONN has drawn the short straw yet again. The remaining P-4 would back fill with XII carcass remains & the Huskies would be relegated to CR purgatory once again.

If the Big 12 isn't expanding, then we are doomed for years. I don't think we can survive it. Let them die and let some other schools suffer with us. I'm bitter.

As BlueHen said, some of those schools might join the AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The athletic department has about a $20 to $30 million a year hole. Neither UConn nor the state is interested in funding that for the next 8 years, The ONLY evidence we have that something may change on the conference or revenue front is that Herbst continues to invest in the athletic program because that investment doesn't make a lot of sense right now on the surface of it, and with state funding getting cut, I do not see how this funding is viable long term.
You know the NBA is adding ads to their jerseys? You're a little behind. As always.

Reaction Score

I hate when Nelson throws out #s with no real sources that are accurate. In the non-key tweets thread, I layed out the AD financial numbers. Again, about $9 million of the "athletic subsidy" is for student activities and intramurals. This money does not go to intercollegiate sports and it would exist no matter what conference UConn was involved in. You CAN'T count this $9 million as subsidizing UConn athletics. UConn is one of the few schools, if any, that includes student activities and intramurals in the AD budget which is one of the reasons UConn show up on "lists" of high subsidies.

Don't get me wrong, UConn does subsidize athletics to the tune of $12 to $15 million per year which is a far cry from Nelson's $20 to $30 million figure. In fact, UConn football, and men's and women's basketball make money. I guess if you amortized the football infrastructure costs (stadium and on campus facilities), UConn would break even or lose money on football, but the facilities upgrades are a sunk cost and don't impact current cash flow at all. By the way, UConn doesn't own the Rent, so they wouldn't be amortizing the cost anyway. Men's hockey could be close to break even with the move to HE. The problems for UConn as they are for every college AD budget is the non-revenue sports.

Reaction Score
I hate when Nelson throws out #s with no real sources that are accurate. In the non-key tweets thread, I layed out the AD financial numbers. Again, about $9 million of the "athletic subsidy" is for student activities and intramurals. This money does not go to intercollegiate sports and it would exist no matter what conference UConn was involved in. You CAN'T count this $9 million as subsidizing UConn athletics. UConn is one of the few schools, if any, that includes student activities and intramurals in the AD budget which is one of the reasons UConn show up on "lists" of high subsidies.

Don't get me wrong, UConn does subsidize athletics to the tune of $12 to $15 million per year which is a far cry from Nelson's $20 to $30 million figure. In fact, UConn football, and men's and women's basketball make money. I guess if you amortized the football infrastructure costs (stadium and on campus facilities), UConn would break even or lose money on football, but the facilities upgrades are a sunk cost and don't impact current cash flow at all. By the way, UConn doesn't own the Rent, so they wouldn't be amortizing the cost anyway. Men's hockey could be close to break even with the move to HE. The problems for UConn as they are for every college AD budget is the non-revenue sports.
UConnJim nice job with this post. DOn't let nelson get to you...take him for what he is..The Boneyard's resident kook.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I just don't get it. The way the Big 12 is set up up right now...it won't survive. Ten teams, small, demographically challenged footprint and it is tremendously top heavy. The ACC is seen to be less stable because, frankly, most of its schools have more value than most of the schools in the Big 12. Outside of Texas, Oklahoma and perhaps Kansas, no one is clamoring for Big 12 schools. VA, VT, UNC, NC St, Duke, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, G Tech and FSU are all more desirable properties than almost all of the Big 12's. I just don't see how the Big 12 can expect to survive without aggressively building value by expansion.

There isn't anyone they can recruit that can fix the problem.

The contracts are too huge to add teams, since they are already overpaid.

Reaction Score
The worst thing about CR is that we hang on the words of a Mountaineer.
UConn is such a superior university to be in this position.

(BTW, if we are not settled in the P-5 by election day, remember that when you are tempted to pull the lever for Blumenthal. His BS lawsuit against all those individuals associated with the ACC continues to be a factor in our predicament. Rightfully or wrongfully, we were denied ACC membership in 2011, at least in part, because of that damn lawsuit.)

Serious question to the entire BY...no one really believes this, right?

Reaction Score
maybe big-12 expansion on hold because they can not come to an agreement on what teams to add. every potential school has strong + weak points. they want more time to let a clear scenario play out. UC biggest drawback is location + distance.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If the meetings are in May and we are in April, Gee is correct. I doubt the info is all in and hasn't been totally disseminated yet. Additionally, Boren would have spouted by now if this was true. He is too far out on the limb to wimper back. Put me in this is a smokescreen crowd for now.

Reaction Score
If the meetings are in May and we are in April, Gee is correct. I doubt the info is all in and hasn't been totally disseminated yet. Additionally, Boren would have spouted by now if this was true. He is too far out on the limb to wimper back. Put me in this is a smokescreen crowd for now.

This. Boren has spearheaded the expansion debate. He will have the last word whether it's positive or negative.

Reaction Score
Read an article, FSU is trying to keep in quiet but they already have attorneys working on the validity of the GOR, they're arguing is that it's not enforceable.

Reaction Score
Read an article, FSU is trying to keep in quiet but they already have attorneys working on the validity of the GOR, they're arguing is that it's not enforceable.

Are you sure that it wasn't an article rehashing the tweets from Bluevod? He is the only one out there (to my knowledge) saying that FSU's attorneys are looking at the GOR.

As an attorney, I have my doubts about all of his statement on the GOR, especially that any lawyer would tell a client that the GOR is "toast".

Time will tell, I guess, since he is predicting six schools currently bound by GOR's to announce their move to the Big Ten this summer.

Reaction Score
Are you sure that it wasn't an article rehashing the tweets from Bluevod? He is the only one out there (to my knowledge) saying that FSU's attorneys are looking at the GOR.

As an attorney, I have my doubts about all of his statement on the GOR, especially that any lawyer would tell a client that the GOR is "toast".

Time will tell, I guess, since he is predicting six schools currently bound by GOR's to announce their move to the Big Ten this summer.

It could have been, I don't remember specifics. If anything it's a conversation starter.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Serious question to the entire BY...no one really believes this, right?

Some... probably the exact same number of people also want to audit the fed...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The more I read the quotes below the more I think that they, albeit vaguely, confirm that the review of expansion continues and thus it "makes sense."

“I think we’re a very stable league,” Gee said. “And I think that we’d only speak about expansion if it makes sense.”

“We’ve done all the analytics of what adding several teams would mean and what it would look like going into subdivisions,” Gee added.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the B12 stays pat this summer, I expect the realignment talk to resurface in about a year. We thought the door was slammed shut, then it cracked open. For Boren to bust it wide open and let the Huskies and Bearcats through, he might have to back up a few feet and throw OU's and a couple other's school into the door to dislodge the Longhorns and Frogs that are holding the door closed. In the long run he might succeed, he might fail.

(This is my way of hedging like a WV tweeter... I'm not saying it's happening, but I'm also not saying it isn't being discussed).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With the B1G TV contract, the Big 12 is basically toast no matter what it does. Why would Oklahoma and Texas bother to save the Big 12 if either could move to the B1G? I don't know if the B1G would put up with Texas' crap, but for $50MM a year in rights fees, I suspect Texas will be on its best behavior.

I bet this is why the Big 12 momentum stopped. The league is dead and everyone knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom