Realignment and expansion on hold, for now (WVSports.com) | The Boneyard

Realignment and expansion on hold, for now (WVSports.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
https://westvirginia.n.rivals.com/news/realignment-and-expansion-on-hold-for-now

>>One school president (Gee) and two athletic directors (Mullins/Babcock) from three different power five programs believe conference realignment and expansion is on hold.<<

>>Gee also serves on the Big 12 expansion committee. At this time, the league does not have plans to move to twelve schools. “I think we’re a very stable league,” Gee said. “And I think that we’d only speak about expansion if it makes sense.”

The expansion committee still does research on potential future members, but none of the data is substantial enough for the league to pull the trigger on adding any new members. “We’ve done all the analytics of what adding several teams would mean and what it would look like going into subdivisions,” Gee added.<<

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Of course the two AD are not part of the Big 12, so their comments are uniformed speculation.

None of the quotes from Gee say that the Big 12 won't expand. Those are original to author of the article.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it was a little more conclusive than that.

Gee spoke to the reporter and the takeaway was that after the league commissioned whatever analytics, they have no plans to expand.

If this was the Texas AD, I would be more skeptical, but Gee was one of the two most ardent supporters of expansion.

It's not good news or even neutral news - it's bad news.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Gee spoke to the reporter and the takeaway was that after the league commissioned whatever analytics, they have no plans to expand.

If this was the Texas AD, I would be more skeptical, but Gee was one of the two most ardent supporters of expansion.

Maybe, but none of his quotes go that far. I'd be more concerned if his statements were more conclusive rather than the reporters sense. We'll know soon enough, as I'd expect follow up interviews.

The Big 12, the only power five conference without at least twelve member schools can now hold a conference championship game if it chooses to do so.

Because the proposal was adopted, it is now playing a key role in keeping the current state of the Big 12, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC as is.

“I think it has helped a lot,” West Virginia University president E. Gordon Gee told WVSports.com on Saturday night, after speaking during an Intercollegiate Athletics Panel in Morgantown.

“In the Big 12, it helps us in the fact that we don’t have to expand in order to be able to have a conference championship game. I think everyone is now working very hard to keep us together. I would have said maybe two years ago there was a real possibility of a disruption, but I feel that it’s much less now.”

:::
Gee also serves on the Big 12 expansion committee. At this time, the league does not have plans to move to twelve schools.

“I think we’re a very stable league,” Gee said. “And I think that we’d only speak about expansion if it makes sense.”

The expansion committee still does research on potential future members, but none of the data is substantial enough for the league to pull the trigger on adding any new members.

“We’ve done all the analytics of what adding several teams would mean and what it would look like going into subdivisions,” Gee added.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't imagine a scenario where the Big 12 will expand if not now. They may be "filling in" rather than expanding once Oklahoma and possibly Texas leave though.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ah, nuts. We're running out of time.
We're coming off a horrible 4 year run in FB. This is a great opportunity for us to begin to rebuild the brand and strengthen MBB with a solid recruiting class. While we can't wait too long, building up on the FB side will not hurt at all.

Reaction Score
https://westvirginia.n com/news/realignment-and-expansion-on-hold-for-now

>>One school president (Gee) and two athletic directors (Mullins/Babcock) from three different power five programs believe conference realignment and expansion is on hold.<<

>>Gee also serves on the Big 12 expansion committee. At this time, the league does not have plans to move to twelve schools. “I think we’re a very stable league,” Gee said. “And I think that we’d only speak about expansion if it makes sense.”

The expansion committee still does research on potential future members, but none of the data is substantial enough for the league to pull the trigger on adding any new members. “We’ve done all the analytics of what adding several teams would mean and what it would look like going into subdivisions,” Gee added.<<

I wonder if Oklahoma is on board with this?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If true, I'm disappointed but not devastated. I would've been devastated if a few mediocre AAC members were invited over us. UConn clearly has the data to support its expansion profile. Only knuckleheads with their heads buried in sand don't know this by now. It could be a problem that there isn't a 12th school with UConn's metrics to support expansion. Or, this could all be a bunch of pre-movement bullsquirt to throw media guys off UConn's scent (like what we saw the other day).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I couldn't get the link to work. Was there any mention of a Big 12 network? Without one the likelihood of expansion would be lower I guess.

Reaction Score
The worst thing about CR is that we hang on the words of a Mountaineer.
UConn is such a superior university to be in this position.

(BTW, if we are not settled in the P-5 by election day, remember that when you are tempted to pull the lever for Blumenthal. His BS lawsuit against all those individuals associated with the ACC continues to be a factor in our predicament. Rightfully or wrongfully, we were denied ACC membership in 2011, at least in part, because of that damn lawsuit.)

Reaction Score
Meh, we'll end up in a P5 conference. I'd have gladly taken inclusion in the Big XII over the American right now, but I'd much rather see us land in the ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
I choose to believe Gee is just negotiating in a public forum to put pressure on Susan. It is a desperation play. Susan is probably asking for the Maryland travel deal, i.e., upfront cash equivalent to a full year payout to cover our travel. The B12 only wants to offer the standard jr. partner deal with a substantially reduced payout for 7 to 10 years. But, without us, the B12 is dead conference walking so everyone at the table knows we have the leverage. I predict Susan holds her ground and gets us a pretty good deal whereby B12 pays our early exit liability to AAC and we are fully vested in 3 years.

Of course the other way to read this is that we are Frucked.

Reaction Score
It is what it is. The Big 12 can expand or die.

Too many of their schools seem to be pretty confident they'd be safe even if the league imploded, so they're content to ride the gravy train until it runs out of track.

UConn is tainted goods. It's not our fault that we're the school that has been damaged the most by conference realignment, but at the same time it's easy to see that we aren't looked at with the same respect that we once were as a member of a power conference.

Just seems like a lot of people in powerful spots have bought into the idea that if we were meant to be a P5 school, we'd already be a P5 school.

I still think we'll get there someday, but as a backfill program into a poached league. Probably the ACC

Reaction Score
DIE, Big 12, DIE.
I hope that you're being facetious. If the B-XII dies, then UCONN has drawn the short straw yet again. The remaining P-4 would back fill with XII carcass remains & the Huskies would be relegated to CR purgatory once again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The worst thing about CR is that we hang on the words of a Mountaineer.
UConn is such a superior university to be in this position.

(BTW, if we are not settled in the P-5 by election day, remember that when you are tempted to pull the lever for Blumenthal. His BS lawsuit against all those individuals associated with the ACC continues to be a factor in our predicament. Rightfully or wrongfully, we were denied ACC membership in 2011, at least in part, because of that damn lawsuit.)

We have a Cesspool board for this stupidity. You will be in good company over there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I agree, unless the quotes were out of context or some kind of jujitsu to throw everyone off the Big 12's trail, this is close to game over for expansion.

Reaction Score
If the quote was from Bowlsby that would be one thing. I think Gee was just approached by some reporter in WV and simply said there are no plans to expand right now. That makes sense since they haven't even had the presidents meeting to discuss the data. We'll see what they say after the May meetings.

Reaction Score
Gee would have been quoted on the analytical conclusion. Madia's speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member