Randy Edsall: “If you have to convince kids to be here, it ain’t going to work” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall: “If you have to convince kids to be here, it ain’t going to work”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Randy stinks but CT HS coaches are worse. The only thing they seem to be good at is giving each other awards.
The top talent in ct is always going to go to Clemson, Michigan, ND etc. they are not coming to Uconn. The lower tier players here are nothing special. Would rather get players from down south and texas

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The top talent in ct is always going to go to Clemson, Michigan, ND etc. they are not coming to Uconn. The lower tier players here are nothing special. Would rather get players from down south and texas

Texas is in the south. That discussion was resolved in the SNY TV rights thread.

Reaction Score
simply your comment that “some Connecticut town‘s peer pressure to not consider UConn“. And your more recent comment that some Ct. residents do not believe that UConn is good enough. I had never considered the fact that there was a feeling amongst the population in Connecticut that UConn was not an acceptable place to further your education.
Lots of tier 1 private schools around the Northeast.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That's certainly a part of it, although UConn's rep is much better now among CT high school kids and parents than it was back when he was here before.

There is a massive trend in New England area kids going to southern and midwestern public schools. I know kids near me in the Boston suburbs who had only ACC and SEC schools on their list. It's a general trend, aside from athletes.

That said: As someone who went to Kansas for law school and saw Nebraska and Oklahoma games, if I was a football player, I wouldn't go to UConn over almost any P5 school. Those places just appreciate college football to a much greater extent.
It is tough to be a prophet in your own village. State U is too familiar to in-state kids. "I don't want to see every kid from Shelton High on campus!" Happens in any state with multiple outstanding schools in the area. In states where the State U is the best school, different story.

Yeah, and these two quotes are why you need the kids to grow up UConn fans and see it as a place they can “make it” out of.

I was both of these. UConn was my dream school...as an athlete. But as a regular student I had little interest in going with 30% of my hs class. But if I was good enough as an athlete...I would’ve dealt with it and just flipped the bird to those people every time I saw them on campus.

Merry Christmas everyone. Hopefully RE’s recruits were the present the program needed to start the rebuild.

Reaction Score
We will all miss Randy Edsall when he is gone. He is no Chatty Cathy, but when he does speak, people listen. They don't always agree but they take notice.

C

Chief00

Just another part of his job that Randy wants a pass on.
Quite frankly, different sport but Jim Calhoun understood the importance and worked hard landing Chris Smith. While never the main thrust of our recruiting under Jim - it was an element with Scott Burrell, Edmund Saunders, Rash Jones and Doug Wiggins.

Last edited by a moderator:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If UConn wins they will come, if not they won't. The issue is the team hasn't been good in a number of years and those living in Connecticut that are under 17 don't remember the good days that well.

The class is decent and hit everything UConn needed in this class but they could use another lineman, running back, wide out and linebacker to finish out.

C

Chief00

If UConn wins they will come, if not they won't. The issue is the team hasn't been good in a number of years and those living in Connecticut that are under 17 don't remember the good days that well.

The class is decent and hit everything UConn needed in this class but they could use another lineman, running back, wide out and linebacker to finish out.
Over-all, I agree. This year’s class is decent. We are going to have some good young receivers. Now it’s up to Randy to identify and develop the QB, protect him with a OL and create a post 1950’s vintage offensive scheme. Is he up to it? TIme will tell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Over-all, I agree. This year’s class is decent. We are going to have some good young receivers. Now it’s up to Randy to identify and develop the QB, protect him with a OL and create a post 1950’s vintage offensive scheme. Is he up to it? TIme will tell.

I actually think Senecal is the QB of the future.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Let’s assume he has the potential - who is going to coach him up?

simpler question:

who is keeping him upright?

Reaction Score
Sometimes students want to leave the state they grew up in and go where they might want to live. If you grew up in Connecticut and get recruited by UConn and Hawaii, and you like to surf in your spare time, you aren't staying in Connecticut to be a surfer. You will go to Hawaii for football and surfing.

If a Hawaiian who plays hockey is not going to study at Hawaii, he would go to a hockey playing school, like UConn.

Reaction Score

This is also known as the definition of recruiting

It is called recruiting. What player of ability would make the UCONN disaster, his first choice? None would.

Reaction Score
It is called recruiting. What player of ability would make the UCONN disaster, his first choice? None would.
Thought that also but all these 20 recruits seem to have choices and see something in what HCRE2.0 is saying/showing and the players who are staying must not have given them the "don't do it buddy" sign. And with all the social media would think the recruits would contact each other some and discuss "opportunities" here. Overall, this recruiting class seems to fly in the face of my "fire him yesterday" position.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The guy that isn’t here is always the future. ;^)

nah. From the first clips I saw I thought he was the guy. He’s going to be amazing. Like play in the NFL good. I feel it.

Reaction Score
The guy that isn’t here is always the future. ;^)

1. Yes.

2. Even if Senecal is the QB of the future, between not having played American rules football, coming off an ACL tear and being a true freshman, he would have to be a lot better than whoever wins our battle to be #1 in camp (I'm guessing Jack Zergiotis but we'll see) before I'd play him more than the allowed 4 games and burn his redshirt. A lot better. Otherwise, let's see if he can win the starters spot for 2021.

Reaction Score
Let’s assume he has the potential - who is going to coach him up?

You do realize we have a QB coach don't you?

Moyseenko was a QB at Maryland so he might know a thing or two. Jack Zergiotis showed month to month improvement in year one as a true freshman so I think its safe to assume he was successfully "coached up". BTW in case you forgot Randy was a QB at Syracuse.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You do realize we have a QB coach don't you?

Moyseenko was a QB at Maryland so he might know a thing or two. Jack Zergiotis showed month to month improvement in year one as a true freshman so I think its safe to assume he was successfully "coached up". BTW in case you forgot Randy was a QB at Syracuse.
Jack Zergiotis's improvement in lofting balls was noticeable. His biggest jump for next year is reading defenses. He was really good at zipping outs and crossing patterns over the middle. Now he has to learn how to put it in between seams without the fastball and in the red zone find the right read quickly.

Reaction Score
Senecal was originally looking to RS to adjust but if he is better he may play. Whoever starts, others will likely play due to injuries or inconsistent play.

Reaction Score
1. HCRE2.0 in 2019 picked the transfer kid to start;
2. Kid gets hurt and HCRE2.0 skips 2nd string red shirt freshman to play 3rd string real freshman for 2nd game of season, names him QB with "IT" and future starter (so if stays will be 4 year starter minus 1 game);
3. "IT" QB plays like "$$IT" and gets replaced by former (and current) 2nd string red shirt freshman; 2nd string guy plays ok, gets named future starter (seems like kiss of death) and before HCRE2.0 can put down the mike learn that 2nd string kid has been injured and out 6-8 weeks.
4. Back to "IT" with first game starter now back up and later in season red shirt freshman gets a few plays in.
5. HCRE2.0 mentions/implies the NCST transfer may be the "real deal", will have to wait and see as was hurt in 2019.
6. HCRE2.0 mentions/implies new freshman QB may be the "real deal".

Palatine would be more likely to pick the right starting QB than HCRE2.0.

Reaction Score
1. HCRE2.0 in 2019 picked the transfer kid to start;
2. Kid gets hurt and HCRE2.0 skips 2nd string red shirt freshman to play 3rd string real freshman for 2nd game of season, names him QB with "IT" and future starter (so if stays will be 4 year starter minus 1 game);
3. "IT" QB plays like "$$IT" and gets replaced by former (and current) 2nd string red shirt freshman; 2nd string guy plays ok, gets named future starter (seems like kiss of death) and before HCRE2.0 can put down the mike learn that 2nd string kid has been injured and out 6-8 weeks.
4. Back to "IT" with first game starter now back up and later in season red shirt freshman gets a few plays in.
5. HCRE2.0 mentions/implies the NCST transfer may be the "real deal", will have to wait and see as was hurt in 2019.
6. HCRE2.0 mentions/implies new freshman QB may be the "real deal".

Palatine would be more likely to pick the right starting QB than HCRE2.0.

Its not uncommon for a team that loses their previous year starting QB to search for their new starting QB at the beginning of a new season. It happens all the time. Practice is very different from the live game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom