Randy Edsall: “If you have to convince kids to be here, it ain’t going to work” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall: “If you have to convince kids to be here, it ain’t going to work”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Context

I haven't seen the presser on this. Can anyone provide more context to Randy saying he is really excited about the newcomers' personality? I mean personality doesn't win football games so I'm wondering if there is anything beyond that...

Reaction Score
It's not a questionable reputation. As they said, it's the snobbery of the affluent near NY and along the shoreline that need a "prestigious" school for their demon seed to attend. UConn is an excellent school, but it doesn't carry the tradition of excellence that these folk desire.

I actually used to think that UConn was prestigious. Now I know better. I will quote you on this, regarding UConn’s lack of a tradition of excellence. This could be fun.

Reaction Score

This is also known as the definition of recruiting

I have tried not to troll you guys: when I saw that quote - I thought that it was a joke. That is literally his job. Seriou, is he that ...?

I don’t miss living in CT this time of year, but I do miss many people who live there. I hope UConn fans finally get a decent coach. Merry Christmas to everyone in thev060xx’s.

Reaction Score
What former player would be considered the face of UConn Football? Asking for a friend...

Reaction Score
More then we’ve had under Dream Job

Sadly not. UConn hasn't been over .500 at the end of the year since the Fiesta Bowl season. (6-7 after the teams one bowl appearance, being the best)

Reaction Score
Sadly not. UConn hasn't been over .500 at the end of the year since the Fiesta Bowl season. (6-7 after the teams one bowl appearance, being the best)
You’re right. I read the OP wrong. I thought it said “wins”. Didn’t realize it said “winning seasons” until I read it again.

Reaction Score
He can recruit whoever he wants. It's not going to fix the two problems of we need an OC that can actually game plan and we need to pay the assistants enough so they stay longer than a year or two. Until both those happen, UCONN will be relegated to 6 wins most years and outside looking in with no bowl affiliation

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
That‘s interesting. I honestly thought UConn had a good reputation. But if the people of the state of Connecticut don’t see it as a great school, why would some kid from Florida or Georgia aspire to go there. Evidently not for the quality of the football, or the quality of the education.
It is tough to be a prophet in your own village. State U is too familiar to in-state kids. "I don't want to see every kid from Shelton High on campus!" Happens in any state with multiple outstanding schools in the area. In states where the State U is the best school, different story.

Reaction Score
So much grief over a poor choice of words in a reasonable statement. Yes, a coach's job is to convince recruits to play for UConn. But the point is that the people who are going to come here are coming into a rebuild job with an empty stadium, an uncertain future as an independent and still building up a roster that can compete. He can tell them that if they're here for the long term he can make them better people and football players and there will be wins down the road. If they want instant gratification, to succeed without working harder than others, to have a full stadium rocking and a goody bag from a bowl in year 1, then they will be dissatisfied and bail and they might as well not bother.

Reaction Score
Irishfan is trolling again.

I wonder if he ever took the campus tour at ND. I took it about fifteen years ago while attending a meeting at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend. It relocated since then I believe.
At any rate, the campus tour guide told us ND was the school for the blue collar elite back in the 50's and 60's and populated mainly by the offspring of hard working blue collar immigrants. It was not an elite school but over time the alums donated enough money and the snob appeal factor kicked in. UConn was viewed as a "safe" school by Lobo's parents and much has changed in the past 25 years as shown by UConn's rating in US News and other rating forums.

Reaction Score
Literally a handful of kids who where state residents and FBS level played here this year. The CIAC had a few and went P5 and a lot of the prep kids were from out of state.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he ever took the campus tour at ND. I took it about fifteen years ago while attending a meeting at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend. It relocated since then I believe.
At any rate, the campus tour guide told us ND was the school for the blue collar elite back in the 50's and 60's and populated mainly by the offspring of hard working blue collar immigrants. It was not an elite school but over time the alums donated enough money and the snob appeal factor kicked in. UConn was viewed as a "safe" school by Lobo's parents and much has changed in the past 25 years as shown by UConn's rating in US News and other rating forums.
HOF is in ATL now. I couldn’t get into UConn in the 80s. That was okay with me. I wanted to leave CT anyways and was the best choice for me personally.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding. I don’t have to. The UConn fans here are trolling themselves better than I ever could.
Lol. Everytime I see you and HartfordHank in threads I think of the name of the bar in From Dusk til Dawn.

Reaction Score

Yes, when I was out in South Bend in 2012 the College Football Hall of Fame had just shut down. It is now located in -- surprise! -- Atlanta, GA.

Fun fact: The Hall of Fame was first (early 1950s) supposed to be next to the stadium at Rutgers, but they were never able to raise the money needed. I guess they never thought about taking a cut of student fees until it was too late.

Reaction Score

I never took the campus tour. But saying that it was not an elite school in the 50’s and 60’s, but over time the alums donated enough money that the snob factor kicked in, seems to indicate that the campus tour guide is saying that ND is currently an elite school. I would concur with that position.

Reaction Score
Who can fault these kids for choosing any of the P5 schools based on the football experience as those schools are all superior to us, and many are better academically. Who can fault a legitimate D1 player if they want to go Ivy and make a marginal downgrade in the football "experience" (attendance etc.) while still having as good a shot at the NFL as from UConn, plus the huge academic boost. The comment from BLueandOG on kids wanting more of an adventure instead of being stuck in Storrs also works against us. At some point everything may change but these are some serious obstacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom