Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying one way or another about how well I think this kid will do, since really none of us have a clue, but couldn't you use the same rationale for offering him a scholarship? The wait and see approach cuts both ways, especially if kids like him are a dime a dozen and his commitment might push other desirable recruits away.
the only player who probably gets pushed away is Kasongo, and nobody knows if he's better. Plus, if the staff wanted to they could've told Lubin to wait on committing, the staff probably holds both in the same regard.

Reaction Score
Don't know much about Lubin's game that hasn't been said but he plays with the AAU program Atlanta Celtics, a lot of good players came through there. Think he transferred from a high school in AL to one in GA. A lot of talent in the area to recruit... Also, not concrete on this but I believe Dion Glover was/is the AAU coach, former NBA player who played against Ollie.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Lubin's commitment would push any players away. It's not like he's a top 25 recruit that other players would be afraid they couldn't beat out. We will have something like 6 scholarships to offer this year.

Reaction Score
I hope we get Kasongo also. I can't get 24,15, and 7 against Okafor and Alexander out of my mind lol

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Stupid statement. Go find a kid outside top 100 that was a factor here in last 20 years.

This seems desperate. Did Kasonogo eliminate us? Who did we beat out South Al and UAB??

Most people are addressing this from the perspective of kids who made the NBA. I'll take a different approach.

Do we win the championship without Chuck? Probably not.
Do we win the championship without Wane? Probably not.

So there's a chance he's an Armstrong like player who develops into a significant factor and an NBA player. But if he 'only' develops into a solid role player like Chuck or Wane who gives that additional 3 or 4 points to get your over the top, that's something you need to win championships.

Just stop with the he's not good enough BS. You don't know what he is. I don't know what he is. Ollie has watched him and has a slightly better idea.

And yes, I still want to land a couple 4 star or better players - but there's nothing wrong with 4 year lunch pail kids who work hard, get an education and help the team be 3 or 4 points better.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying one way or another about how well I think this kid will do, since really none of us have a clue, but couldn't you use the same rationale for offering him a scholarship? The wait and see approach cuts both ways, especially if kids like him are a dime a dozen and his commitment might push other desirable recruits away.

You have seen a photo, but the staff has seen him in person. The staff knows how he compares to others.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
It doesn't really matter how high or low he's ranked or how raw he is because at the end of the day, UConn and Ollie are going to turn him into a true Husky. Hopefully we're still in on Kasongo, Robinson, who ever else we're making a priority and a guard (Cassell please!?). Have faith Husky Nation

Reaction Score
Per the Courant write up Rahim is ranked the 70th best player in his class by ESPN.
Courant doesn't know how to read ESPN. He's unranked in their top 100, 3 star recruit with a rating of 70.

caw

Reaction Score
Courant doesn't know how to read ESPN. He's unranked in their top 100, 3 star recruit with a rating of 70.
Which means he's not really been seen.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Which means he's not really been seen.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380425032.508027.jpg
at some point, before getting injured, Northstar felt he was pretty good. FlaHusky found this older ranking. I hear DHam is pretty good.

Reaction Score
It looks like Rakim was very well known earlier this year. As someone else posted he was averaging nearly 20pts and 10rbs a game. He came down with an injury this summer and was unable to play. That is most likely why there is nothing recent on him.

Reaction Score
You have seen a photo, but the staff has seen him in person. The staff knows how he compares to others.

Sure, but I like many haven't seen any of these kids in person. In fact I'll admit, I'd be an awful evaluator of talent. But there's a whole market of talent evaluation beyond just our coaching staff that all of us rely on. There are independent services, paid scouts, other coaching staffs, etc. And using all of those resources, there is almost nothing on this kid. I'm more playing devil's advocate here then staking out a side of the "he's the next [Player X]" or "he is garbage," but I think if there were any information out there on this kid that we could use, the collective brain-trust of this board would be more at ease in trusting the coaching staff, since they seem to be the only big players in on this kid as opposed to our other targets. Not everyone here blindly trusts the coaching staff, at least not yet. And I don't think you can fault them for that. For that reason, I think posters whining about posters who are whining should ease up a bit.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Damn should of had this kid hold off intill kasongos Oregon vist was over.
So is this a tentative "hate him" comment?! :)

Welcome Rakim!!! I've got a good feeling about you!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sure, but I like many haven't seen any of these kids in person. In fact I'll admit, I'd be an awful evaluator of talent. But there's a whole market of talent evaluation beyond just our coaching staff that all of us rely on. There are independent services, paid scouts, other coaching staffs, etc. And using all of those resources, there is almost nothing on this kid. I'm more playing devil's advocate here then staking out a side of the "he's the next [Player X]" or "he is garbage," but I think if there were any information out there on this kid that we could use, the collective brain-trust of this board would be more at ease in trusting the coaching staff, since they seem to be the only big players in on this kid as opposed to our other targets. Not everyone here blindly trusts the coaching staff, at least not yet. And I don't think you can fault them for that. For that reason, I think posters whining about posters who are whining should ease up a bit.
So does this mean you are whining about posters who are whining about posters whining about UConn's recruiting? That's three levels of whining. I'm running out of cheese! But I won't make it a fourth level. :)

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
So is this a tentative "hate him" comment?! :)

Welcome Rakim!!! I've got a good feeling about you!

I like the committ,I'll take a kid that wants to play here and prove him self anyday.its just seems we are close with kasongo and I'm sure Lubin would of committed anyways.I just hope he's on the larger size of what iv seen posted on other sites.We have enough guys at 205 at PF/C already.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Also if he sat there and seen some of practice today and wanted in after that? Well c'mon on in! Those guys said it was no joke and I'm sure it would scare off most guys.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I like the committ,I'll take a kid that wants to play here and prove him self anyday.its just seems we are close with kasongo and I'm sure Lubin would of committed anyways.I just hope he's on the larger size of what iv seen posted on other sites.We have enough guys at 205 at PF/C already.
I was just thinking of all the recent strike outs UConn had and after each one you said I hate him! Thought that was funny as heck. So finally Uconn gets a recruit and you say wish he held off until after this weekend. I understood your rationale but it was funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom