ProspectNation Top 100 for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe Didi Richards ends up at Texas (re-commit) or Baylor:

Reaction Score
Exactly my point! Joyner is better athlete, Cox better basketball player because Cox doesn't "take plays off" like Joyner does by your own admission.

Cox will have the biggest problem transitioning to college ball. She has no skill set really.....but hey all we can do jus wait and see.

To whoever it was who said these mixtapes show nothing but shooting must didn't see her pass and rebound. Joyner is better than Cox and everyone who watched the games over the summer were saying the same thing

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Cox will have the biggest problem transitioning to college ball. She has no skill set really.....but hey all we can do jus wait and see.

To whoever it was who said these mixtapes show nothing but shooting must didn't see her pass and rebound. Joyner is better than Cox and everyone who watched the games over the summer were saying the same thing

sns, Your enthusiasm and assertiveness in expressing strong opinions about HS players and rating services is admirable. You have a maverick's stick-to-your-guns flavor to your discussions/disputes with others. I, for one, hope you stick around here and fire away!

I have an ulterior motive. You seem willing to provide me with an endless supply of "ahem" topics. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Cox has no skill set really". Really? Them by all means Cox should come to UCONN so she can develop some skills!
With that one statement you have managed to demonstrated the exact "bias" many of us were concerned about and strain your credibility beyond repair.

Reaction Score
Everything you named for Cox does not take much athleticism so you are not making a good case as far as Cox being a better athlete than Holmes.

Holmes is a better athlete and it's not really close.....but the reason Holmes wasn't the number 1 on all boards is because some scouts felt she takes plays off. That's the only reason I've heard from 2 different services but all the services I've talked to have said that Holmes is the better talent and has more upside.

Holmes can actually play the 1 through 5 and you can't say that about Cox. Every scouting service in the state of Texas ( where they are both from) has Holmes the number 1 kid. They see both of those kids a whole lot more than anyone on this board.

I could not agree more with UConnCat's post #41...

While certainly everybody is entitled to his or her opinions on absolutely anything and anyone (and Boneyarders are never reluctant to express theirs), knowing an individual's credentials would go a long way to help us discern between that which is objective, savvy and well-informed and that which isn't.

Reaction Score
Let's clear something up right quick. Better yet let me say this, just because you play hard does not mean you are skilled. I think Cox plays very hard and she is bigger than everyone so you put those 2 together and it's hard for a high school player to match up with her. Now this is also why i say she will have the hardest time transitioning to college.....that will not get her by in college. I was in Russia watching the games and it showed over there.

There were a couple of coaches and scouts with the USA who begin to question the same thing. I feel that a lot of fans get caught up in the ranking boards and cant come to grips that they can be wrong and that there are other motives when the rankings are released. Read the last article that was put our on Miller and it totally contradicts what happens to Boykin.

Look all i can do is go by what i watch with my on eyes and that's it. At the end of the day everyone is entitle to there opinion and after that we just have to watch and see

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are plenty of players in high school that are hard to match up with. There was a player three years ago who averaged 30 points and 20 rebounds a game. This past year the nation's leading rebounder was a 6-0 guard who averaged more than 22 a game. Neither of those players are/were highly recruited. I'm guessing Cox has some sort of skill set to be chased by the best in the nation. I have seen her play many times too, incidentally. She was disappointingly bad in Russia. She's looked very good other times.

Reaction Score
Joyner is better than Cox and everyone who watched the games over the summer were saying the same thing

Everyone? Olson, whom I believe you said was the best and most conscientious ranker out there, seems to think that Cox is the better college prospect. How can that be when you claim that Holmes is a 1-5 player while Cox has no skills?

I like your definitive observations. It's refreshing in contrast to the wishy-washy PC comments that pervade wcbb. However, when you start speaking for "everyone" you lose me.

Reaction Score
I have an ulterior motive. You seem willing to provide me with an endless supply of "ahem" topics. ;)

SURELY A VIRTUAL
treasurechest.jpg
FOR PROFESSOR K.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well in Russia Cox was one of the youngest players on a team made up mostly of college players and HS graduates. She certainly got little playing time, but I sort of liked her play when she did get in. Obviously a new experience for her in international play, but did not look overwhelmed.

Reaction Score
two sentences in particular are difficult to digest:

1) "Holmes can actually play the 1 through 5 and you can't say that about Cox." Irrelevant and immaterial, your honor. At the collegiate level, Holmes will never play the 1 or 2, so what the heck does it matter that you think she actually can when it will not happen? Breanna Stewart cannot play the '1 through 5 ;' she can't play the point, so I guess Holmes is a more skilled and versatile player than Stewie- very impressive for a high school junior. And when you say Cox cannot play the "1 through 5," does that really say anything critical about Cox? I don't think so. Cox is strictly a frontcourt player who will never be confused for a guard nor asked to play one. What Cox is asked to do she does very well. That Cox can't play the 1 or 2 means nothing, in no way diminishes her game and doesn't speak at all to her play as one of the best frontcourt players in the class of 2016.

2) "Cox has NO skill set really." ??? She's managed to fool a helluva lot of the other 'experts.'
If Cox chooses UConn, she WILL become great, and she WILL win multiple National Championships. That's what I know. Because that's what Geno does.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Let's clear something up right quick. Better yet let me say this, just because you play hard does not mean you are skilled. I think Cox plays very hard and she is bigger than everyone so you put those 2 together and it's hard for a high school player to match up with her. Now this is also why i say she will have the hardest time transitioning to college.....that will not get her by in college. I was in Russia watching the games and it showed over there.

There were a couple of coaches and scouts with the USA who begin to question the same thing. I feel that a lot of fans get caught up in the ranking boards and cant come to grips that they can be wrong and that there are other motives when the rankings are released. Read the last article that was put our on Miller and it totally contradicts what happens to Boykin.

Look all i can do is go by what i watch with my on eyes and that's it. At the end of the day everyone is entitle to there opinion and after that we just have to watch and see

For future reference and to eliminate confusion on this board.... you should say Mikalya Boykin in this thread :confused:

Reaction Score
Well in Russia Cox was one of the youngest players on a team made up mostly of college players and HS graduates. She certainly got little playing time, but I sort of liked her play when she did get in. Obviously a new experience for her in international play, but did not look overwhelmed.
I'm hearing that it is down to Notre Dame and Baylor. See I'm going to have the same opinion regardless of where she goes. [mod edit: flaming]

Also i was at the USA trials and Cox was out played big time down there by Mulkey. Actually Cox shot the ball over the top of the backboard multiple times and it was a total surprise to everyone there that she made the squad.

Not sure if you guys know this either.....her dad ducked Joyner and Cy Fair twice this past summer. This is not anything I'm making up either, the question was asked both times and both times a coach from the program said "Dennis did not want to play joyner".

Go watch film from boo Williams event this past summer and be honest with yourselves. The film is still available online

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Here is someone with bluestar agreeing with my thoughts with joyner.also notice he has Boothe on his first team and walker on his second team.

This same astute observer who writes about wbb for the Sporting News and picks Holmes over Cox and Boothe over Walker has now picked South Carolina over Connecticut as the 2016 champs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm hearing that it is down to Notre Dame and Baylor. I'm going to have the same opinion regardless of where she goes. [mod edit: flaming]

Also i was at the USA trials and Cox was out played big time down there by Mulkey. Actually Cox shot the ball over the top of the backboard multiple times and it was a total surprise to everyone there that she made the squad.

Not sure if you guys know this either.....her dad ducked Joyner and Cy Fair twice this past summer. This is not anything I'm making up either, the question was asked both times and both times a coach from the program said "Dennis did not want to play joyner".

Go watch film from boo Williams event this past summer and be honest with yourselves. The film is still available online

Folks here dare to question your opinion and you go off the deep end just to convince us you're right about Cox. Why is that so important to you? Why the need to go to such lengths -- including rumor, innuendo, hearsay from anonymous coaches, trashing her play for Team USA -- just to be right about a high school player? Clearly this is personal to you and you have an agenda. We get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Folks here dare to question your opinion and you go off the deep end just to convince us you're right about Cox. Why is that so important to you? Why the need to go to such lengths -- including rumor, innuendo, hearsay from anonymous coaches, trashing her play for Team USA -- just to be right about a high school player? Clearly this is personal to you and you have an agenda. We get it.
Ya think?? I'm guessing Mr. or Mrs. Joyner at this point. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Better yet let me say this, just because you play hard does not mean you are skilled.

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”-Kevin Durant
“The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day, that I never dog it.”- Wayne Gretzky
“If the power to do hard work is not a skill, it's the best possible substitute for it.”-James A. Garfield
“Hard work has made it easy. That is my secret. That is why I win”-Nadia Comaneci

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Personally, I've thought Holmes & McCoy were the best players in the class by far for a long time. I don't know about the whole Cox/Holmes feud (even if there is one), but in a one on one game between the two, I would pick Holmes by a longshot.

That being said, I don't think the 2016 is as deep as 2017, and especially not as deep as 2018.

If Megan Walker & Charli Collier were in the 2016 class, they would be head and shoulders above the others.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Personally, I've thought Holmes & McCoy were the best players in the class by far for a long time. I don't know about the whole Cox/Holmes feud (even if there is one), but in a one on one game between the two, I would pick Holmes by a longshot.

That being said, I don't think the 2016 is as deep as 2017, and especially not as deep as 2018.

If Megan Walker & Charli Collier were in the 2016 class, they would be head and shoulders above the others.
Collier? Hardly. She got worked by Sedona Prince this summer.

Reaction Score
Collier? Hardly. She got worked by Sedona Prince this summer.

I watched Prince play a couple of times over the summer on the same AAU team as Nancy Mulkey. I thought Sedona was the much better player despite being 2 years younger than Nancy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just curious. Are you just talking better post players in '17 & '18 or better players across the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom