Projected Starting Line Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

Reaction Score
The team in Maui will be nothing like a mid February Uconn team. "You better get us now, in Maui"

Reaction Score
Since trilly said Alex is probably coming back, i'll work under that assumption for now.

Diarra(25)-Nowell(15)
Mahaney(30)-Ball(10)
Stewart(25)-McNeeley(15)
Karaban(30)-McNeeley(10)
Johnson(20)-Reed(20)
No way ball is only getting 10 minutes if he improves his game like most of us see him doing. I think he will get at least 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Karaban has to be coming back.... for sure. Hurley wouldn't ride into the season with 11 schollies. It's almost May 1st. I think Hurley and Karaban agreed on him getting a draft assessment so that he knows where his draft stock is at the moment. Much like Tristan did last year. Get the info you need from the scouts then utilize it to improve on your draft stock next year.
Karaban may come back, but there’s no reason to say it’s a sure thing.

What does the date have to do with anything? May 1st is the deadline to enter the portal, not sign players. We got Cam to commit last June.

Reaction Score
I don't think Karaban is coming back. Teams will fall in love. He's going to essentially be forced to declare.

Starting the year:

Diarra 20 / Mahaney 10 / Nowell 10
Mahaney 20 / Ball 20
McNeeley 20 / Ross 15 / Ball 5
Stewart 25 / McNeeley 5 / Abraham 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Ending the year

Diarra 28 / Mahaney 12
Mahaney 20 / Ball 20
McNeeley 22 / Ball 8 / Ross 10
Stewart 30 / McNeeley 10
Reed 25 / Johnson 15
This looks more likely than most, although I don't see Nowell necessarily losing time and I'd be surprised if there's not another bigger forward in the mix. Climbing Everest once is amazing, twice is ridiculous, the third time you're the tour guide. Gotta strike while the iron is hot and wish AK the best in the league!

Reaction Score
Mahaney 25 / Nowell 10/ Diarra 5
Ball 25 / Diarra 15
Stewart 25 / McNeely 10
Karaban 25 / McNeely 10/ Stewart 5
Johnson 20 / Reed 15/ Singare 5

Bench: Ross / Abraham / Singare

I think McNeely comes off the bench. No way he beats out Stewart with his experience, rebounding and defense. McNeely will share time at the 3/4 which is loaded with minutes for him. The backcourt will change over the season but i think this is my March 1rst lineups.

Reaction Score
I'd bet a nickel the starting lineup is

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

I think the PG and C spots could change by season's end depending on how things go. But most likely stays this way barring injury
Diarra was a good 6 man coming off the bench, I don't know about him being a starter.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Some of it's going to depend on how fast the new guys pick up the system. I could see It being a Diarra/Ball/Stewart/Karaban/Johnson lineup for the first few games at least and then easing in some of the new players.

Reaction Score
I think Reed Jr starting is probably better than my choice of Samson because he is a much better rebounder. I see Mahaney as an off the bench offensive infusion if the team comes out flat. But there are so many options. Honestly I was kind of going with the loyalty thing meaning a few points if the competition is close. But in the end Hurley will be Hurley and if the player is on the floor they earned it in practice.
Mahaney is this years hass

Reaction Score
If Reed starts over Johnson, it would be a sign he made incredible progress on learning the offense over the summer, since Johnson has a big head start there.

Reaction Score
I think Karaban isn’t going to return right now educated guess, 80% chance he stays in draft. He’s just too good not to be taken in the 30s.

Reaction Score
Outside of Karaban starting if he returns I think all starter spots are up for grabs. Unlike last year I could see Hurley trying a few different starting lineups during pre conference games. The newcomers have to learn the offense and defense schemes. Freshmen often need some time to adjust to college level. There is really wide variance in how ready freshmen are. Even a McDs future superstar Rip Hamilton struggled for the first half of his freshman season. The returning players need to make improvements to game over summer to get more minutes than they got last year.

With all that said, I think Diarra has best chance to start as he is a disrupter on defense and Hurley really wants that in PG. Diarra know how to run the offense and played pretty consistently well down the stretch.

Ball started last year while Castle was out and I think will have inside track to start this year as he bring an athleticism to team that no one else can bring. But to secure the spot he needs to be a better defender. He struggled at time last year to be in the right spot in rotation on defense, and that is why I think Stewart ultimately got the 8th man spot in rotation. Ball also needs to work within offense and not force shots.

Samson needs to be able to play defense without fouling and get contested defensive rebounds. If he doesn’t improve there, Reed will start.

Stewart will start if no Karaban. I think his defense, rebounding and athleticism will secure starters minutes for him, but if Karaban is back he might be the 6th man.

McNeeley is a 5 start talent, potentially NBA 1st rounder. As soon as he adjusts and learns new system he will start. I could see it taking a month for that to happen.

Mehaney probably has to compete with Ball or Diarra to get starter spot. His blurb when he committed makes it sound like is going to work really hard and I could see him winning one of those spots.

Regardless of who starts, I think Diarra, Mehaney, Ball, Stewart,
Johnson, Reed, McNeeley are going to get starters minutes.

Nowell, Ross, and Abraham will probably be fighting for the last bench role. Karaban’s return or nor probably mostly affects these 3, as the role available to these 3 greatly increases if no Karaban.

If Abraham is big enough to defend 4, he could earn time that way. If Nowell can bring another level beating defender off the dribble and driving to hoop, that might open door for him.

In general I think anyone getting defensive rebounds and playing good disruptive defense will find a way to get time on floor.

Reaction Score
Nowell, Mahaney, McNeeley, Alex and Reed

Lots of minutes Diarra (stays 6th because it really works), Stewart, Samson, Ball

This may not be immediate but it will be eventual as the season progresses.

caw

Reaction Score
Start of season I think defense and system knowledge win out and the starters are:

Diarra
Ball
Stewart
Karaban
Johnson

Or w/o Karaban

Diarra
Ball
McNeeley
Stewart
Johnson

Mahaney off the bench as the first guard. Nowell next. Some three guard lineups unless Ross or Abraham prove they can play backup at the 3/4, I do think one emerges as a solid backup. This coaching staff does very well with wing players.

Center backup is obviously Hoss.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'd bet a nickel the starting lineup is

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

I think the PG and C spots could change by season's end depending on how things go. But most likely stays this way barring injury

This is the lineup. If Karaban doesn’t come back then Stewart slides into the 4

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’m sure this will only be a break glass in case of emergency thing, but I love me some small ball in stretches.

Diarra
Ball/Mahaney
McNeeley
Stewart
Karaban
If Karaban comes back, I feel like we could see 5MPG with him at the 5. It worked pretty well for us last season in small spurts. Great change of pace and another wrinkle other teams would need to prepare for.

Reaction Score
Karaban
McNeeley
Mahaney
Diarra
Johnson

If Karaban comes back there's zero chance he plays les than 30 minutes agame.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My lineup thoughts for early in the season
Diarra/Nowell/Mahaney
Mahanney/Ball
McNeeley/Ross
Stewart/McNeeley/Abraham
Reed/Johnson/Singare
I too am in the Alex to the NBA camp. I also think Danny values the experience upper classmen bring but this will be a very young team so that will be tested. I would be concerned having this years version of Samson starting and picking up two quick fouls hopefully next years Samson defends and rebounds better. I also worry about rebounding throughout this lineup. Going to be a fun summer can't wait for those little video snippets they would send out from practices.

Reaction Score
Now that Mahaney is in the fold and assuming AK comes back, what is our starting line up, what about rotations, due we play with AK, Stewart, McNeely as the front court just trying to think through how this roster will be molded when it comes to playing time.

I don’t think you get a recruit like McNeeley and do not start him. So here is my first pass at the starting lineup and perhaps the first few off the bench. I am focused on rebounding because I just don’t see us getting the same type of production from our current backcourt than we did with Tristen and Cam.

Starting five with potential depth chart.
Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Mahaney
McNeeley/Stewart/Ross
Karaban/Abraham/Stewart
Johnson/Reed Jr

First man off bench:
Mahaney or Stewart.

Reed Jr when Samson gets in foul trouble.

I could also see us using a front court of Karaban, McNeeley and Stewart.

If AK comes back their practices will be harder than 80% of the games they will play in. Steel will sharpen steel this group has three maybe four players who will play in the NBA, IMO.

Unless Ball (3.9 ppg) has an incredible summer of development, I don't see him
starting over Mahaney (13.9 ppg). I also think Reed (10 ppg and 7 rpg) is likely to start over Johnson (5 ppg and 3 rpg).

Reaction Score
If Reed starts over Johnson, it would be a sign he made incredible progress on learning the offense over the summer, since Johnson has a big head start there.
Reed averaged 10 and 7 last season. Johnson averaged 5 and 3. We need rebounding, and frankly rebounding and staying out of foull trouble are not Johnson's strengths.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If Alex does not return (note - or's are listed alphabetically with expectation of similar playing time for each)

Diarra or Nowell 20/20
Ball or Mahaney 20/20
McNeeley – Ross 28/12
Stewart – Abraham 28/12
Johnson or Reed Jr – Singare 19/19/2

If Alex does return (things get a bit more complicated at forward)

Diarra or Nowell 20/20
Ball or Mahaney 20/20
Stewart or McNeeley – Ross 8/25/7
Karaban - Stewart – Abraham 28/17/5
Johnson or Reed Jr – Singare 19/19/2

Reaction Score
Karaban is the missing piece right now. He and Hass provide the continuity and swagger of having been there. He also provides peer leadership that coaches love. Karaban is as important on the practice floor as he is in the game. I hope he returns, but talent-wise we'll be fine either way.

Reaction Score
Since trilly said Alex is probably coming back, i'll work under that assumption for now.

Diarra(25)-Nowell(15)
Mahaney(30)-Ball(10)
Stewart(25)-McNeeley(15)
Karaban(30)-McNeeley(10)
Johnson(20)-Reed(20)
This, except I think Ball gets more time. To start the season, Hurley is going to go with guys who know his system. Except for Mahaney who I can't see not starting based on general experience over Ball.

Reaction Score
Such an interesting year to do this exercise where there is such a huge variety of options. There is a question of ideal rotations and complementary skillsets/styles here too. Add in some accolades(mahaney 2time All-WCC fwiw) and some "I earned it by being patient" (Hassan, Solo, Jaylin) going on here too.

If AK is here, my guess is Hurley goes with:

G Hassan - Vet, Defense, Leader, Dog
G Mahaney - Smaller less rugged Cam
F - Karaban - Plays more On-Ball O & D to prep for NBA
F - Jaylin - Breakout, earned it
C - Reed - Defense, screener, stout anchor on D

First G - Solo, sold by Hurley as Hassan 6th man of the year microwave role

First Big - Samson - Sold as do exactly the same as this year, more minute split

First W - Liam McNeeley - Karaban Mini, let it fly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom