Pro Day today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pro Day today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What it all means is that:
Moe will probably end up back in Canada in the CFL, unless he decides to move on from the game. Age and weak upper body will likely keep him from NFL rosters.
As for Wilburn. After seeing him burned with no mercy in the W. Mich and Iowa St games, I'm surprised at his showing.

Reaction Score
Nothing personal, but I'm not wrong. 19 is not a good number. There is no way to spin it into a good number. I love Petrus, wish he did better, but the number is the number.

you said no center repped less than 19. one did, the top center prospect in the draft. you can't dispute that. i never said 19 was a good number. if you'd read the whole post instead of just what suits you, you'll see i agreed with you that he would have had to do better to really open some eyes, but you acted as if it was a career killer, which it isn't.

i'm done arguing the point with you b/c whenever you're proven wrong you try to change the point you were making. it's a mind numbing exercise for me.

Reaction Score
Of point, I know....

But I will always remember Moe at ND putting his arm around Tegart after he missed the FG in regulation. Then he and his conterparts proceeded to beat the living out of NDs right side in OT. Great, great competitor.

Reaction Score
I believe Moe has the talent to play in the NFL. He was a tremendous player at UConn.

I just wish he prepared better for pro day. I think he will get an opportunity in an NFL camp as an UFA. Best of luck to him.

Reaction Score
I just wish he prepared better for pro day.

We don't really know that he didn't. These are full-time college students living their lives out there, and we really have no idea what's going on with them day to day. Maybe he's just not naturally that smart. Maybe he decided not to use EPO or something. Who knows. I don't like to assume it's lack of effort, though.

Reaction Score
you said no center repped less than 19. one did, Sorry you're right, I was off by 1. the top center prospect in the draft. you can't dispute that. he also cost himself some money with that low number i never said 19 was a good number. if you'd read the whole post instead of just what suits you, you'll see i agreed with you that he would have had to do better to really open some eyes, but you acted as if it was a career killer, I never said or implied that, I said it was a terrible number not what he needed if he wants to be drafted which it isn't.

i'm done arguing the point with you b/c whenever you're proven wrong you try to change the point you were making. it's a mind numbing exercise for me.

Reaction Score
The headline in the Courant said, "Wilburn Stands Out During UConn Football Pro Day." That has to mean something and I'm not so sure it's that good.

It is simply a reminder to everyone that you measure the potential of a football player by athleticism, but the athletic potential does not make one a good football season.

Again, to be clear, good luck to the young man, I have heard of nothing he did wrong outside the chalk in five years at UConn and I would be more than pleased to see him make an NFL roster. But he did not show me that he has anywhere near BCS talent inside the chalk, much less NFL talent.

Reaction Score
Wilburn may have tested well, but his instincts always seemed a split second off. Always. The WR would make his initial move, GW would be a hair late in reacting, and he was toast. The Western Michigan was comical. From the stands you could pretty much tell they were going to GW's or Harris Agbor's before the play. Both kids played hard and had the measurables of FBS players, they just never developed the insticts necessary to stand out at this level. Its not a knock, they were the best we had at the time. We're still building, and aside from the very top teams in the country, everybody has players like this on their roster. They're competent back ups and very capable in spot duty, but when pressed into action for extended periods you see a significant drop off from the starter at the position. Always thought GW could have been an impressive return man after watching his HS highlights, but we've had so many good ones, he probably didn't get a chance to shine at the spot he would have probably been most effective.

Reaction Score
you said no center repped less than 19. one did, the top center prospect in the draft. you can't dispute that. i never said 19 was a good number. if you'd read the whole post instead of just what suits you, you'll see i agreed with you that he would have had to do better to really open some eyes, but you acted as if it was a career killer, which it isn't.

As a marginal prospect, he needed a good number and didn't get it. It hurt him, probably badly.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
he looked pretty good in the East West Shine game and would fit in on a spread offense or West coast offense in my opinion. He will get a look for sure by the NFL in training camp. He always has the CFL to fall back as his rigth's are held forever.

Reaction Score
he looked pretty good in the East West Shine game and would fit in on a spread offense or West coast offense in my opinion. He will get a look for sure by the NFL in training camp. He always has the CFL to fall back as his rigth's are held forever.

No doubt he will get invited to a camp. And I think he has a good shot to stick with a team. People put way too much stock in the combine, and not enough stock at a players game film.

Reaction Score
And I have no idea why the bench is even used as a test. Want to use a test that actually shows a lineman's playing field strength? Have them clean or squat. Two vastly more important exercises for O and D lineman. Bench shows they can play a solid game of patty cake.

Reaction Score
And I have no idea why the bench is even used as a test. Want to use a test that actually shows a lineman's playing field strength? Have them clean or squat. Two vastly more important exercises for O and D lineman. Bench shows they can play a solid game of patty cake.
A lineman's initial punch is a big part of their game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm not pasting the same thing Rock and I have already posted in this thread.

The biggest thing the number of reps at 225 shows is how much time a player has spent in the weight room. Every team is able to make its own decision on how much they care to "weigh" the results of the bench, but they all know you can't put up big numbers without hours and hours of time in the gym pumping heavy weights.

Reaction Score
I'm not pasting the same thing Rock and I have already posted in this thread.

The biggest thing the number of reps at 225 shows is how much time a player has spent in the weight room. Every team is able to make its own decision on how much they care to "weigh" the results of the bench, but they all know you can't put up big numbers without hours and hours of time in the gym pumping heavy weights.

If scouts want to find out how much a kid puts into the gym, they will interview the strength coach. Generally speaking a kid with big numbers would be committed to the weight room, but good rep numbers are not necessarily a true indicator of that. Some guys with long arms are simply not built for good bench numbers. Some guys are built for max rep with good stamina and can't bench that calculated max in a single rep and others may not max rep well but have big single rep maxes. Also, what if that kid came into school doing 3 reps and graduates doing 18. That shows some significant improvement. Not that uncommon with lineman in D1 football who get offers based on athletisicm, big frames and potential. Point being is that the bench is so subjective it can be completely meaningless at times except for those who post big numbers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If scouts want to find out how much a kid puts into the gym, they will interview the strength coach. Generally speaking a kid with big numbers would be committed to the weight room, but good rep numbers are not necessarily a true indicator of that. Some guys with long arms are simply not built for good bench numbers. Some guys are built for max rep with good stamina and can't bench that calculated max in a single rep and others may not max rep well but have big single rep maxes. Also, what if that kid came into school doing 3 reps and graduates doing 18. That shows some significant improvement. Not that uncommon with lineman in D1 football who get offers based on athletisicm, big frames and potential. Point being is that the bench is so subjective it can be completely meaningless at times except for those who post big numbers.

NFL Scouts and staff are free to place whatever weight or value they want on each drill. And I'm sure there's a variance amongst the 32 teams.

However, straight from the NFL.com website-
"The bench press is a test of strength -- 225 pounds, as many reps as the athlete can get. What the NFL scouts are also looking for is endurance. Anybody can do a max one time, but what the bench press tells the pro scouts is how often the athlete frequented his college weight room for the last 3-5 years."

Notice there isn't any mention of how performance correlates to what a strength coach says. Notice it doesn't mention arm length vice rep numbers. Notice is doesn't make any mention of a ratio of current reps to initial reps. Some how each year the highest ranked OT's manage to have really long arms and really high numbers of reps.

Specifically to Petrus, I'm with those who believe he'll get an UFA invite somewhere. There's plenty of game film out there. However, if he wanted to improve his chances of getting drafted, he needed better numbers. The numbers he put up at the pro day didn't make re-evaluate him as a prospect.

Reaction Score
The one question that Carl can't answer.

If the bench is so unimportant, why does the NFL require it at the Indy combine?

Love to see his ten paragraph rationalization of that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The one question that Carl can't answer.

If the bench is so unimportant, why does the NFL require it at the Indy combine?

Love to see his ten paragraph rationalization of that.

Trick question. None of the drills, bench press included, are required.

Reaction Score
If the bench press is that important i'm sure the Pro's will be able to get him stronger. I can't believe if they see talent they won't draft him

Reaction Score
Not for an offensive lineman.
Not to be obnoxious or anything, but what this tells me is you have never played offensive line or been around a football team. A strong initial punch that puts the DL off balance a little is huge.

Reaction Score
Trick question. None of the drills, bench press included, are required.
Those are the events that the pro teams decided would be in the combine. Unless you are a lock top pick, ignore them at your own peril. The question stands. If they aren't important, why does the NFL combine revolve around these events, bench included?

Good grief.

Reaction Score
Not to be obnoxious or anything, but what this tells me is you have never played offensive line or been around a football team. A strong initial punch that puts the DL off balance a little is huge.

No offense taken. I played O Line in high school and in my one year of coaching high school I was the O Line coach. I laugh when I hear the term punch used for O Line blocking. A strong initial push is important, and that involves leverage. And the two best exercises for an offensive lineman are clean and squat.

Reaction Score
No offense taken. I played O Line in high school and in my one year of coaching high school I was the O Line coach. I laugh when I hear the term punch used for O Line blocking. A strong initial push is important, and that involves leverage. And the two best exercises for an offensive lineman are clean and squat.
How long ago was that? The first thing you're taught in pass protection is get your feet moving and punch into their chest. High school coaches, college coaches, college players, everyone I've ever been taught by that was one of their key points.

Reaction Score
How long ago was that? The first thing you're taught in pass protection is get your feet moving and punch into their chest. High school coaches, college coaches, college players, everyone I've ever been taught by that was one of their key points.

Mid 1990s. I understand there are different techniques utilized by different coaches. And I 100 % agree the key to pass blocking is too keep your feet moving. And keep your arms extended when the defender looks to make contact. On running plays keep hands inside the numbers, stay low, and keep the legs moving, using the lower body for leverage. For guards in pass pro, I don' t believe in sitting back in protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom