Prince Ali doing Prince Ali things again in EYBL | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Prince Ali doing Prince Ali things again in EYBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wow. You are really living on a different planet than me.

He is like DWade - but with a jump shot - and is going to play 2-3 years and win as many as 2 championships???

Good lord. So, a guy like a NBA HOF is going to win multiple NC's and be a "3 and done"???

You remind me of Violet Beauregard from Willy Wonka. Just more spoiled.
I said 2 to 3 years. I think he will probably be here for 2 but who knows what will happen. The championships are hopes. Not expectations. Don't read so much into things.

Like I said before I believe Ollie is going to continue to exceed your expectations. With more talented teams than this past years there isn't much of a doubt in my mind we will continue to have success at a high rate.

The problem with you guys is your comparing how a junior in high school is now to what the guy in the NBA already is instead of where he was at the same point. Which was not even a top 100 recruit. I'm not saying he will be an NBA HOF but he has similar qualities to DWade. Whether he develops the rest of his skill set to be like him remains to be seem. DWade is 6'4. Prince is 6'3 as a junior with time to possibly grow and he has long arms similar to Wade to go along with a very built body to finish in contact.

The point is we should be very excited for what Ali is going to bring to the table. Could be a star.

Reaction Score
You are comparing a guys skills in the nba to a junior in high school. After 2 or 3 years here he can maybe develop those skills to get closer to the player Wade is. My point was their playing styles and build are very similar. Guys who are smaller slashing SGs with long arms and great athleticism while being very strong.

Also again. You can see the potential in guys through their highlights. Their highlights show what they are capable of. If someone isn't making amazing plays in their highlights chances are they aren't going to develop to make amazing plays consistently at the next level. Guys who are constantly making amazing plays in their highlights have a higher chance to do it consistently at the next level if developed right.
you are the one comparing him to D. Wade..
even the best basketball talent evaluators in world history (Jim Calhoun) have made some huge mistakes. The truth is no one knows how Prince Ali's game will translate at the next level when almost every team has a guy 6'10" plus waiting at the rim. Odds are heavily stacked against him being as good as D. Wade.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This is a poster who said he won't be satisfied with winning a national championship every few years. There are a lot of fans who not long ago legitimately wondered if UConn would ever make a Final Four. If you wonder why people aren't taking you seriously, that's why.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Like do you guys realize the guys are coach helped get better? Guys like Russel Westbrook, KD, Jeff Green and Ibaka when he played for the Thunder. The Cavs brought him in to help mentor Lebron. He has played with AI at one point (not going to say he helped him get better but he has the experience of playing with a guy like that). He has now developed 2 PGs to become the best PGs in the country and we've seen the change in Boatright. Why do you guys want to doubt what our coach could develop with the talented guys we are about to bring in?

I keep saying this that Ollie is the best coach in the country. You guys are going to find out soon. He worked miracles with last years team. Lord knows what he can do when he actually have guys with the talent and potential to be even more. I'm sorry if you guys don't believe in Ollie like I do. It doesn't matter what you guys thought about the program in the past. This season should've shown you exactly what Ollie is capable of and he just started.

UK has been in 3 of the last 4 final fours and we beat them in 2 of them. I don't see why we can't be just as consistent and do more once we close the talent gap with a better coach. And yes those Kentucky teams were more talented than us. Even Terrence said we weren't more talented than teams. We just out toughed them.

Reaction Score
Like do you guys realize the guys are coach helped get better? Guys like Russel Westbrook, KD, Jeff Green and Ibaka when he played for the Thunder. The Cavs brought him in to help mentor Lebron. He has played with AI at one point (not going to say he helped him get better but he has the experience of playing with a guy like that). He has now developed 2 PGs to become the best PGs in the country and we've seen the change in Boatright. Why do you guys want to doubt what our coach could develop with the talented guys we are about to bring in?

I keep saying this that Ollie is the best coach in the country. You guys are going to find out soon. He worked miracles with last years team. Lord knows what he can do when he actually have guys with the talent and potential to be even more. I'm sorry if you guys don't believe in Ollie like I do. It doesn't matter what you guys thought about the program in the past. This season should've shown you exactly what Ollie is capable of and he just started.

UK has been in 3 of the last 4 final fours and we beat them in 2 of them. I don't see why we can't be just as consistent and do more once we close the talent gap with a better coach. And yes those Kentucky teams were more talented than us. Even Terrence said we weren't more talented than teams. We just out toughed them.
He also coached Leon Tolksdorf and Omar Calhoun..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He also coached Leon Tolksdorf and Omar Calhoun..
Are you serious with this? Leon was and end of the bench player with many guys in front of him. He never made it to the floor for you to see how he developed. Why don't we see how Omar's career finishes before we make any judgement on him yet. It's well known that surgeries could be the cause for holding him back this past year. He has 2 years left.

But forget to mention the development of Brimah throughout the year right? How about Giffey from his freshman year to now? Phil was light years better this year than last. Yeah let's just forget about all the GREAT players he developed or helped develop to and bring up the worst examples of a guy who didn't play and another who had surgery before the season started. That was such a reach.

Reaction Score
Yes, but this is something you only know in hindsight.

At the time Turtle was offered, we hadn't won a national championship, top recruits weren't begging to be recruited, top targets like Jalen Adams and Jessie Govan were reluctant to commit, the conference situation was a big negative, there was a risk of being shut out. Making an early offer on a once-heralded but high risk recruit with an injury is a speculative move that made sense at the time. If KO could have seen the future, he probably waits on Turtle like other top programs did.

It's OK, there are 13 roster spots and the tourney rotation is usually about 8. There is room to have a role player and time to develop a guy like Turtle. He might be a starter and a star, but even if he doesn't become that, the coaches will mold him into a useful contributor.

Not every player can be a star, and often teams overloaded with stars have poor chemistry. Turtle has a lot more potential than Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Darius Smith, Jonathan Mandeldove, Michael Bradley, Lean Tolksdorf, Donnell Beverley, or a boatload of other players Jim Calhoun recruited. I don't think we're going to be regretting his commitment five years from now.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not criticizing Ollie if Turtle turns out to be a lousy player. My only point is that Turtle isn't automatically good because Ollie recruited him. Sometimes guys end not being as good as you hoped, and that's the way it goes.

Reactions: pj

caw

Reaction Score
You are comparing a guys skills in the nba to a junior in high school. After 2 or 3 years here he can maybe develop those skills to get closer to the player Wade is. My point was their playing styles and build are very similar. Guys who are smaller slashing SGs with long arms and great athleticism while being very strong.

Also again. You can see the potential in guys through their highlights. Their highlights show what they are capable of. If someone isn't making amazing plays in their highlights chances are they aren't going to develop to make amazing plays consistently at the next level. Guys who are constantly making amazing plays in their highlights have a higher chance to do it consistently at the next level if developed right.

Actually I was comparing a guys skills in college to a junior in high school.

Have you seen Wade in high school? If not then you were also comparing a college/NBA guy to a junior in high school. I was responding to your comparison, and letting you know where Ali falls short currently.

Highlights are not a good judgement on a players ability on many levels. They can provide context but they have made many players look like stars, who weren't.

caw

Reaction Score
that's not what the numbers say... Opinion is opinion, numbers are the universal truth..

Yes, because all numbers are equal. Look, I love numbers and stats but stats can be misleading and they are in this case. Not saying Ali won't become a better shooter, but he's just not now. He does have better shot selection though.

Who is the better shooter Daniels or Napier? I don't have the stats in front of me but I'm pretty sure Daniels shot better from the field and from three. I'd take Napier, bc he can make the shots Daniels takes and those Daniels can't/won't even take. EDIT: looked it up and Daniels was better both FG and 3PT.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Actually I was comparing a guys skills in college to a junior in high school.

Have you seen Wade in high school? If not then you were also comparing a college/NBA guy to a junior in high school. I was responding to your comparison, and letting you know where Ali falls short currently.

Highlights are not a good judgement on a players ability on many levels. They can provide context but they have made many players look like stars, who weren't.
Actually

You just have to know what to look for in highlights and also pay attention to the level of competition they're playing against. You should know what a player would and wouldn't be able to do against d1 players when they make the plays they do in their highlights. Prince Ali is out here dominating against other d1 recruits on the circuit.

You guys may not be able to evaluate guys from their high school tapes because you don't know what to look for but I've played for a HOF coach, played with and against high level d1 talent, and have been studying the game of basketball since I first fell in love with the sport. So yeah I myself may have a general idea of how good a player can be based on their highlights.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I've played for a HOF coach, played with and against high level d1 talent, and have been studying the game of basketball since I first fell in love with the sport. So yeah I myself may have a general idea of how good a player can be based on their highlights.

This is getting funny.

I once played with John Wooden and he said I was the best BB mind he ever came across.

So, I have that going for me. Which is nice.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is getting funny.

I once played with John Wooden and he said I was the best BB mind he ever came across.

So, I have that going for me. Which is nice.
Except one person is telling the truth and the other is trying to be funny...

Anybody who was on the scout board right before this board was moved knows I broke the news about Drummond coming here and Dunn going to Providence about a week before it was news anywhere. I don't need to put my information out but I've been around this board for awhile. I'm just too busy at school to post during the season so if your new you wouldn't know. But some people still remember me. Don't care whether you believe me or not because I've already provided info to the board on CT prospects before on a few occasions.

Reaction Score
This dumpster fire of a thread is what you guys get for arguing with a highschool kid

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
N
This dumpster fire of a thread is what you guys get for arguing with a highschool kid
Not a high school kid but that's another nice attempt at being funny when all I do is express my opinion. It's funny how I'm the immature one but the only one who seems to have the maturity to not attack someone just because I don't agree with them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If somebody told you guys we would win a national championship last year you probably would've thought they were delusional too... Like I said before don't be so scared to believe Ollie can do amazing things. He's a great coach and even better person. The combination of the two can get most out of any player. Being a former player for a top program I can't see how any player, whether they were a 2* or the #1 player, wouldn't trust and want to run through a wall for this guy.

Reaction Score
HuskyWarrior611 said:
N Not a high school kid but that's another nice attempt at being funny when all I do is express my opinion.

God, I hope this means you've yet to attend high school.. I feel like such a pedant here, but, Jesus! Have you ever seen the word or used the word "our?" You must have seen it. I'm sure you have.
Perhaps this transposition of "our" and "are" is typical of some learning disability? I do not know. If so, I apologize. Amongst the peeves I pet, though, this is right up there with "Samuels" and "Boatwright."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
since ali decided to flee UCONN, this thread can end
don't waste the time and space
NEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors