Prince Ali doing Prince Ali things again in EYBL | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Prince Ali doing Prince Ali things again in EYBL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not explaining my point anymore if you don't get it.

I don't think you get it. You have multiple posts in which you admire the uk one and done recruiting process and continually say that the guys we get aren't on that level. And yeah, you praised him for AB but then said we should've gotten a guy like Vonleh. Why??? All-American or not under Ollie he'd be gone now. Not to mention that that type of player is way harder to coach because they have way less to prove. Look at Vonleh, prime example, a mediocre season on an average team and he's still projected high lottery. Their concern is staying healthy; as it should be, it's their livelihood.

It's really hard to get a team of one and dones to buy into a system the way our guys do to win Championships

Reaction Score
this should be webcasted somewhere right?

I can't find anything definitive anywhere for this year right now but it's still early. Last year I watched it live on nike eyb, d1 circuit and ihigh.com while meanstreets and and ballislife was putting highlights/full games up after they'd ended

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't think you get it. You have multiple posts in which you admire the uk one and done recruiting process and continually say that the guys we get aren't on that level. And yeah, you praised him for AB but then said we should've gotten a guy like Vonleh. Why??? All-American or not under Ollie he'd be gone now. Not to mention that that type of player is way harder to coach because they have way less to prove. Look at Vonleh, prime example, a mediocre season on an average team and he's still projected high lottery. Their concern is staying healthy; as it should be, it's their livelihood.

It's really hard to get a team of one and dones to buy into a system the way our guys do to win Championships
I don't necessarily admire one and dones. Rather the talent. You can recruit talent without them being one and done. Daniel Hamilton is a great talent. Is he a one and done? No maybe not. Prince Ali seems like an amazing talent. Is he a one and done? No probably not. Same with Jalen Adams. So no I don't want to recruit one and Dones. Rather I want us to recruit highly talented players that we can form to be stars in college AND he NBA so we can continue to watch our players strive. I also didn't say we should've got a guy like Vonleh. I said we still would've been able to win with a guy like Vonleh because you guys act like you can't win with these uber talented players. Like Kentucky hasn't been to 3 of the past 4 final fours with them. And we have 10x the coach they have.

It's not about my faith or lack there of in our players. It's my faith that HCKO can get the most out of any of his players because of his ability to relate to any kid and have them be 10 toes in when they come here and play for the program. So if any star came here they would fall into that or KO wouldn't stand for it. KO has the resume to knock any #1 recruit down and humble him because of his cosigns from Lebron and Durant so if they want to get at that level they better listen and be ten toes in instead of doing there own thing.

With that being said some recruits have more potential than others. With big men rankings don't necessarily mean talent as we saw with Brimah because some are so raw coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily admire one and dones. Rather the talent. You can recruit talent without them being one and done. Daniel Hamilton is a great talent. Is he a one and done? No maybe not. Prince Ali seems like an amazing talent. Is he a one and done? No probably not. Same with Jalen Adams. So no I don't want to recruit one and Dones. Rather I want us to recruit highly talented players that we can form to be stars in college AND he NBA so we can continue to watch our players strive. I also didn't say we should've got a guy like Vonleh. I said we still would've been able to win with a guy like Vonleh because you guys act like you can't win with these uber talented players. Like Kentucky hasn't been to 3 of the past 4 final fours with them. And we have 10x the coach they have.

It's not about my faith or lack there of in our players. It's my faith that HCKO can get the most out of any of his players because of his ability to relate to any kid and have them be 10 toes in when they come here and play for the program. So if any star came here they would fall into that or KO wouldn't stand for it. KO has the resume to knock any #1 recruit down and humble him because of his cosigns from Lebron and Durant so if they want to get at that level they better listen and be ten toes in instead of doing there own thing.

With that being said some recruits have more potential than others. With big men rankings don't necessarily mean talent as we saw with Brimah because some are so raw coming out of high school.
best posting I have ever read - more please! oh wait, you're serious??

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
With my lil spiel already said about talent, I think we have some great talent for this upcoming year. Brimah and Facey have the potential to be lottery picks and I'm super excited to see their development. Especially Facey. I've said this before that he can be like Lamarcus Aldridge. A long 4 who can put it on the floor and really stretch it with great rebounding instincts. Rodney Purvis is going to be a lottery pick after KO is finished teaching him the way of being an NBA guard while here. He's a guy who was a 5* McDonalds All American out of high school. Would you guys not want him and rather have Terrence Samuel starting next to Boatright next year? As far as Terrence Samuel goes his game reminds me of Andre Millers game. Not much of a jump shooter but a great finisher in the paint and great distribution skills. He's also a nice big guard that can be a matchup problem for smaller guards later down the road.

All in all I'm really excited for the talent we have on this team and I can't wait to see the talent Ollie continues to bring in. I just don't think Turtle is one of these great talented kids based on what I've seen so far. Shoot me and remove my UConn fan badge.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily admire one and dones. Rather the talent.

Call it talent, call it one and dones; to me it seems like you want name recognition. You want the guys you see on espn so that you can they are UCONN guys and brag about it.

You talk about uk like they are the pinnacle; they're not. That new field a glorified AAU team idea calipari has developed is just one way of many to put a good team on the floor. And to me the worst, hard to even call it a team.

Personally, I love having to under the radar guys. Even as a former McDonald's AA no one outside of us saw Kemba coming. It was what made it special. Our guys. Not just players we rented. Also what makes a TEAM.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Call it talent, call it one and dones; to me it seems like you want name recognition. You want the guys you see on espn so that you can they are UCONN guys and brag about it.

You talk about uk like they are the pinnacle; they're not. That new field a glorified AAU team idea calipari has developed is just one way of many to put a good team on the floor. And to me the worst, hard to even call it a team.

Personally, I love having to under the radar guys. Even as a former McDonald's AA no one outside of us saw Kemba coming. It was what made it special. Our guys. Not just players we rented. Also what makes a TEAM.
You obviously didn't read my whole post. So I'm just going to agree to disagree cause I don't care anymore. At the end of the day Ollie is going to win us championships and he's going to bring in the talent I like to see for the most part and do what I expect for us to do as a program which is exceed, including everyone's here, expectations.

Reaction Score
You obviously didn't read my whole post. So I'm just going to agree to disagree cause I don't care anymore. At the end of the day Ollie is going to win us championships and he's going to bring in the talent I like to see for the most part and do what I expect for us to do as a program which is exceed, including everyone's here, expectations.

No I read it. You said some nice things about the players we do have then said we should recruit higher ranked ones.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No I read it. You said some nice things about the players we do have then said we should recruit higher ranked ones.
No I said we wouldn't be any worse of a program if we got #1s like Malik. We already are getting attention from pretty high ranked players with Ollie after this championship. So it's not like we need to go higher. I'm very happy with the players we have and have brought in (besides Turtle). My Johnson and Vonleh examples from before were just that, examples. Examples of guys who were top talents in the class who would've been more game ready than Brimah that wouldn't have hurt us like you guys act like these top recruits would (Not that we should have taken them over Brimah).

I'm extremely happy with Brimah because he obviously has a lot of talent. You aren't going to find many 7' who can move like him. It's not always about rankings. Besides Malik I don't think I would take any other guard in this class over Jalen. Rankings don't always equate to talent. You guys are just making that assumption.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When talking about Kentucky I'm not talking about every player they get. Rather the special ones they do get like John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Julius Randle, etc. I can care less about the Doron Lambs, Harrison twins, Poythresses, and the rest of the highly ranked but overhyped players. It wouldn't hurt to have a special one and done player come in to provide a boost to the veteran teams we would already have. Just because some of those players didn't win championships doesn't mean they wouldn't have done that with us.

But since this thread is about the Prince I'm going to end my last post in this thread with this. He is an elite talent. Reminds me of DWade except he seems to be developing a jumper. He's 6'3 with long arms and boy is he built. I can't wait to see him suit up in a UConn jersey for 2 to 3 years and see him be a big part of what will hopefully be a championship team or 2.

Reaction Score
When talking about Kentucky I'm not talking about every player they get. Rather the special ones they do get like John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Julius Randle, etc. I can care less about the Doron Lambs, Harrison twins, Poythresses, and the rest of the highly ranked but overhyped players. It wouldn't hurt to have a special one and done player come in to provide a boost to the veteran teams we would already have. Just because some of those players didn't win championships doesn't mean they wouldn't have done that with us.

But since this thread is about the Prince I'm going to end my last post in this thread with this. He is an elite talent. Reminds me of DWade except he seems to be developing a jumper. He's 6'3 with long arms and boy is he built. I can't wait to see him suit up in a UConn jersey for 2 to 3 years and see him be a big part of what will hopefully be a championship team or 2.
just so I understand better - you have a guy that's not ranked in the top 60 of his high school class and yet he's like Dwayne Wade with a developing jump shot. do I have that correct?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
just so I understand better - you have a guy that's not ranked in the top 60 of his high school class and yet he's like Dwayne Wade with a developing jump shot. do I have that correct?
1. Prince Ali will easily be top 60 in the class in the new rankings. I think he already is on some sites.
2. DWade wasn't even a top 100 recruit coming out of high school because of his size and was a late bloomer. Stayed 2 years at Marquette.
3. If you actually looked at their playing styles, game, and build instead of rankings you'd see they are actually very similar players. Ali just might lack in the playmaking department for right now and I'm not even sure if he is truly lacking there. Someone else who have seen him play can let us know that.

pj

Reaction Score
Every coach whiffs from time to time. Ollie's track record on this is very short, so it doesn't seem remotely unreasonable to me that it could happen here.

Yes, but this is something you only know in hindsight.

At the time Turtle was offered, we hadn't won a national championship, top recruits weren't begging to be recruited, top targets like Jalen Adams and Jessie Govan were reluctant to commit, the conference situation was a big negative, there was a risk of being shut out. Making an early offer on a once-heralded but high risk recruit with an injury is a speculative move that made sense at the time. If KO could have seen the future, he probably waits on Turtle like other top programs did.

It's OK, there are 13 roster spots and the tourney rotation is usually about 8. There is room to have a role player and time to develop a guy like Turtle. He might be a starter and a star, but even if he doesn't become that, the coaches will mold him into a useful contributor.

Not every player can be a star, and often teams overloaded with stars have poor chemistry. Turtle has a lot more potential than Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Darius Smith, Jonathan Mandeldove, Michael Bradley, Lean Tolksdorf, Donnell Beverley, or a boatload of other players Jim Calhoun recruited. I don't think we're going to be regretting his commitment five years from now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You might want to pay some attention to Ali, he is a lot more like D Wade than you know.. Read his ESPN profile and he is easily top 25.. compare his numbers to Malik Newman in the EYBL and you will see that Prince has a better shooting percentage, better 3 point percentage, takes a lot less shots than Newman and Prince is 3rd in scoring a head of a lot of players ranked ahead of him.. Not to mention Prince has led his high school team from unknown to being nationally ranked.. I have a feeling that Prince will be ranked very high before he gets to Uconn.. He dominated the toughest league in high school basketball and he did it with a good field goal percentage..

caw

Reaction Score
1. Prince Ali will easily be top 60 in the class in the new rankings. I think he already is on some sites.
2. DWade wasn't even a top 100 recruit coming out of high school because of his size and was a late bloomer. Stayed 2 years at Marquette.
3. If you actually looked at their playing styles, game, and build instead of rankings you'd see they are actually very similar players. Ali just might lack in the playmaking department for right now and I'm not even sure if he is truly lacking there. Someone else who have seen him play can let us know that.

I'm not going to pretend I know what DWade was like in between his JR and SR years of high school but at Marquette and in the NBA there are a few things that stand out as being superior compared to Ali.

-Vision/Passing ability. There is a reason many thought DWade could play PG.
-Handle. DWades is good with either hand. Ali is much more right hand dominate
-Athleticism. Ali's is good, and may end up great, Wade was otherworldly early in the NBA.

Are you making this comparison off of highlights also?

I will say Ali does attack the rim hard and has very good body control and his shot is improving.

Finally, watch both Ali and Turtle play full games before elevating them or demeaning them. Yes they have had completely different AAU seasons but you are way to fast to give up on Turtle and Ali has a ton to work on.

caw

Reaction Score
You might want to pay some attention to Ali, he is a lot more like D Wade than you know.. Read his ESPN profile and he is easily top 25.. compare his numbers to Malik Newman in the EYBL and you will see that Prince has a better shooting percentage, better 3 point percentage, takes a lot less shots than Newman and Prince is 3rd in scoring a head of a lot of players ranked ahead of him.. Not to mention Prince has led his high school team from unknown to being nationally ranked.. I have a feeling that Prince will be ranked very high before he gets to Uconn.. He dominated the toughest league in high school basketball and he did it with a good field goal percentage..

Newman is a better shooter right now. He also has better handles and is probably a better passer. I like Ali and he probably is a top 25-30 talent in his class at least but Newman is a different type of player (much more of a combo guard, Ali is more of a 2/3).

Reaction Score
Newman is a better shooter right now. He also has better handles and is probably a better passer. I like Ali and he probably is a top 25-30 talent in his class at least but Newman is a different type of player (much more of a combo guard, Ali is more of a 2/3).

that's not what the numbers say... Opinion is opinion, numbers are the universal truth..

Reaction Score

I think Wade is a little better than you and others are giving him credit for. He had the best NBA Finals performance in league history in 2006 - statistically better than Jordan's or Kobe's best finals. In his prime before injuries hit, he had no weaknesses - he could score inside and out, was a great rebounder and passer (29-11-11 in a regional final), and could guard people. He's a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

Maybe there are specific elements of Ali's game that can look a little Wadish, but he has a fair amount of work to do before he's even an NBA prospect. I'm excited about him as a college player for us, but 6-3 slashers aren't hot commodites in the NBA's floor spacing era.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Reminds me of DWade except he seems to be developing a jumper. He's 6'3 with long arms and boy is he built. I can't wait to see him suit up in a UConn jersey for 2 to 3 years and see him be a big part of what will hopefully be a championship team or 2.

Wow. You are really living on a different planet than me.

He is like DWade - but with a jump shot - and is going to play 2-3 years and win as many as 2 championships???

Good lord. So, a guy like a NBA HOF is going to win multiple NC's and be a "3 and done"???

You remind me of Violet Beauregard from Willy Wonka. Just more spoiled.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm not going to pretend I know what DWade was like in between his JR and SR years of high school but at Marquette and in the NBA there are a few things that stand out as being superior compared to Ali.

-Vision/Passing ability. There is a reason many thought DWade could play PG.
-Handle. DWades is good with either hand. Ali is much more right hand dominate
-Athleticism. Ali's is good, and may end up great, Wade was otherworldly early in the NBA.

Are you making this comparison off of highlights also?

I will say Ali does attack the rim hard and has very good body control and his shot is improving.

Finally, watch both Ali and Turtle play full games before elevating them or demeaning them. Yes they have had completely different AAU seasons but you are way to fast to give up on Turtle and Ali has a ton to work on.
You are comparing a guys skills in the nba to a junior in high school. After 2 or 3 years here he can maybe develop those skills to get closer to the player Wade is. My point was their playing styles and build are very similar. Guys who are smaller slashing SGs with long arms and great athleticism while being very strong.

Also again. You can see the potential in guys through their highlights. Their highlights show what they are capable of. If someone isn't making amazing plays in their highlights chances are they aren't going to develop to make amazing plays consistently at the next level. Guys who are constantly making amazing plays in their highlights have a higher chance to do it consistently at the next level if developed right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom