Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Outside of the obvious former coordinators that people are going to campaign for....

I wouldn't mind someone who lost a HC job at a higher level....

If NC State fires Doeren I would def consider him for the job.
Jimmy Serrano

Reaction Score
I confused that with the Briles award (Art), given to the college coach most likely to be run out of town.
Actually that should be named the Pasqualoni/Deleone Award or the Weiss Award

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually that should be named the Pasqualoni/Deleone Award or the Weiss Award
The Weis award involves receiving a ridiculous extension/buyout prior to the desire to run the HC out of town. I'd say Diaco has to be a frontrunner for this one.

Reaction Score
Diaco was not a low bar hire. He was the DC at the most visible school in the country.

agreed on that. Sadly Warde/us got sucked into the hype. Hopefully one thing was learned: do the due dilegence on offense philsophy adn who you would consider as offensive coordinator. "Guys I played for in college 20 years ago who haven't been successful recently at the FBS level" are disqualified.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with hiring Bob, nor his extension. Both are well within the norms of CFB practice. Bob doesn't look like he's going to be a good HC, it happens. Get back in the box and take another swing. Maybe a little less focus on personality and a little more on results.

Reaction Score
I still think a Butch Jones, Weist combo would be a nice addition. After Tennessees hot start they have been struggling, Jones would be an interesting hire and he does have ties to Weist at Cincy I believe.

That one is intriguing. The price would be right I think

Reaction Score
Moorhead or Wiest. No-brainer. If Edsal's departure had been graceful, I would take him back. But it wasn't.

Reaction Score
Whenever Diaco gets thrown to the curb side,I think it would be really difficult to bring in a big name coach.History shows top recruits have no interest coming up here to play. I want a head coach that has an offensive mind set.No more head coaches without experience,like Diaco had nada.

Reaction Score
Moorhead or Wiest. No-brainer. If Edsal's departure had been graceful, I would take him back. But it wasn't.

Why would you think either one would want to return? Moorhead shuffled from UConn for PP and Weist for Diaco? Uconn could have hired either one at the time. I don't believe either is pining to get back to CT.

Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense to me ....

How many in this thread have several million dollars to promote into a NEW coach. One that we have another guess at. The only way this goes NOW is if one deep pocket guys says that he wants Randy Edsall back or he wants what he has seen in Joe Moorhead previously and at Fordham/Penn State.

It is now a game of supporting the University in its need to move on. And, you don't make that investment unless you see clearly a way forward and you put your money on a guy that you feel strong for. The University of Connecticut is not going to fund Diaco $5m before Jan2 or $3.5m after Jan2. And nobody internally is going to be happy about Benedict and a Search firm going to the market again. Maybe Moorhead makes sense because he will take the $1,050,000 approx. that Matt Ruhle gets at Temple.

and NOTE: Randy Edsall left and it was not as disgraceful as Bobby Petrino; but, look at that.

Reaction Score
Good choice...my buddy who is a former UConn player was high on him to replace P.
So was I. the guys I liked were he and Clawson that went to Wake.

Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense to me ....

How many in this thread have several million dollars to promote into a NEW coach. One that we have another guess at. The only way this goes NOW is if one deep pocket guys says that he wants Randy Edsall back or he wants what he has seen in Joe Moorhead previously and at Fordham/Penn State.

It is now a game of supporting the University in its need to move on. And, you don't make that investment unless you see clearly a way forward and you put your money on a guy that you feel strong for. The University of Connecticut is not going to fund Diaco $5m before Jan2 or $3.5m after Jan2. And nobody internally is going to be happy about Benedict and a Search firm going to the market again. Maybe Moorhead makes sense because he will take the $1,050,000 approx. that Matt Ruhle gets at Temple.

and NOTE: Randy Edsall left and it was not as disgraceful as Bobby Petrino; but, look at that.
I don't see it either, in fact I see the playing of Williams as an admission that Diaco has to hit the ground running with the kid next year knowing that his job is 100 percent on the job next year.

Reaction Score
nobody internally is going to be happy about Benedict and a Search firm going to the market again.

Going to be that 'internally' there's not a lot of happiness about a 3/4 empty Rent for final 3 games and having all the air taken out of playing BC for the first time in 12 years.

Reaction Score
Going to be that 'internally' there's not a lot of happiness about a 3/4 empty Rent for final 3 games and having all the air taken out of playing BC for the first time in 12 years.

Herbst has been a gutsy President. Far beyond the Athletic Department. My problem with what you pose - and the RENT is the obvious product marketplace where Diaco has really failed - is that Benedict is not a 100% certainty like Warde Manuel wasn't a 100% certainty. Someone has to step up because I do not think Larry McHugh or Susan Herbst really want to write that sizable a check. Yes, I do think we are looking at 8000 season tickets and 20,000 attendance in 2017 and a AAC that is increasingly looking stronger.

There are Robert Burton and others out there. We don't need T. Boone Pickens. HOWEVER, if a guy is going to write a check or bundle a few friends, he is not doing it passively. There must be a Plan. And Edsall is a Plan that may be a fit. Joe Moorhead, IMHO, has impressed hugely post-UConn. TJ Weist? No way. Good as that interim. Wilder, Schiano, Strong, etc wouldn't make me answer the phone call or motivate me to call Susan.

Reaction Score
Herbst has been a gutsy President. Far beyond the Athletic Department. My problem with what you pose - and the RENT is the obvious product marketplace where Diaco has really failed - is that Benedict is not a 100% certainty like Warde Manuel wasn't a 100% certainty. Someone has to step up because I do not think Larry McHugh or Susan Herbst really want to write that sizable a check. Yes, I do think we are looking at 8000 season tickets and 20,000 attendance in 2017 and a AAC that is increasingly looking stronger.

There are Robert Burton and others out there. We don't need T. Boone Pickens. HOWEVER, if a guy is going to write a check or bundle a few friends, he is not doing it passively. There must be a Plan. And Edsall is a Plan that may be a fit. Joe Moorhead, IMHO, has impressed hugely post-UConn. TJ Weist? No way. Good as that interim. Wilder, Schiano, Strong, etc wouldn't make me answer the phone call or motivate me to call Susan.
No offense Pudge but everyone here wants to see a throw the ball all over the field offense. Edsall is NOT that guy! He has had his run and bringing him back won't do it. He sucks as a closer in recruiting (why do you think he was told to hire Mike Locksley) to boot. You bring him back and this season ticket holder is out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If for whatever reason Diaco is around for next year, Benedict needs to have some intrusive leadership in the football program and start directing BD to do certain things.

There's the old adage how 5% of your employees take up 90% of your time.

There's also the organizational examples where you are in charge of an employee and for whatever reason that employee isn't getting fired. Their performance affects your performance and the only way to ensure your success is for them to succeed. It's leading the organization you have not the organization you want.

Reaction Score

The AAC in reality may be strong but the perception by people who actually would considering buying tickets is its a minor league. And unless UConn is rolling up the wins, you're looking at 15K attendance for October-November games the next few years.

Reaction Score
The AAC in reality may be strong but the perception by people who actually would considering buying tickets is its a minor league. And unless UConn is rolling up the wins, you're looking at 15K attendance for October-November games the next few years.
yup. it's a brand name issue. Sure, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers etc. may not be that good, but they're schools that everyone knows about.

Reaction Score
No offense Pudge but everyone here wants to see a throw the ball all over the field offense. Edsall is NOT that guy! He has had his run and bringing him back won't do it. He sucks as a closer in recruiting (why do you think he was told to hire Mike Locksley) to boot. You bring him back and this season ticket holder is out.

Shrug ...

The best predictor of filling the Rent is ... Randy Edsall did it. Refute that if you must. But far better than both Diaco and Pasqualoni, Edsall (IMHO) figured out how to run the PROGRAM and build the facilities and recruit (yes, he refined it over time ... but you must admit that he had a structured approach that repeatedly brought in kids that overachieved (especially from Florida and Western PA).

I get the Pass Happy idea. That's not going to be TJ Weist IMHO; there is no change this University writes the buyout for Weist. That is nuts given what I saw. Moorhead is the only guy in the Northeast that ran that kind of playcalling to proficiency. I watch UAlbany and UNH often -for reasons related to friend's kids - and there is no Dino Babers in that league. Fleck isn't coming; so there isn't any MAC advancement. (not high on Sun Belt or CUSA possibles)

whaler11 could be right. A recently canned guy from the higher level. I don't see that happening. The University is not going to write the Diaco check for the ones posed. $1.7m (as I recently saw in USA Today) is a lot for Diaco in comparative to peers. Maybe that increment gets you a basic lateral but a $800,000 raise for some guy. That still leaves the fact that there isn't the motivation to pay multi-millions now.

Reaction Score

Agree. But the quality of Football might be better than a Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, Pitt batting order of opponents.

Reaction Score
Shrug ...

The best predictor of filling the Rent is ... Randy Edsall did it. Refute that if you must. But far better than both Diaco and Pasqualoni, Edsall (IMHO) figured out how to run the PROGRAM and build the facilities and recruit (yes, he refined it over time ... but you must admit that he had a structured approach that repeatedly brought in kids that overachieved (especially from Florida and Western PA).

I get the Pass Happy idea. That's not going to be TJ Weist IMHO; there is no change this University writes the buyout for Weist. That is nuts given what I saw. Moorhead is the only guy in the Northeast that ran that kind of playcalling to proficiency. I watch UAlbany and UNH often -for reasons related to friend's kids - and there is no Dino Babers in that league. Fleck isn't coming; so there isn't any MAC advancement. (not high on Sun Belt or CUSA possibles)

whaler11 could be right. A recently canned guy from the higher level. I don't see that happening. The University is not going to write the Diaco check for the ones posed. $1.7m (as I recently saw in USA Today) is a lot for Diaco in comparative to peers. Maybe that increment gets you a basic lateral but a $800,000 raise for some guy. That still leaves the fact that there isn't the motivation to pay multi-millions now.
He was not a good recruiter...my friends played at UConn with 2 guys on his staff...he was a HORRIBLE closer who had Locksley forced on him at MD because of that issue. His bend but don't break defense had people complaining like they do now. He also had the Big East to play in which helped put people in the seats at Rentschler. He would fall flat on his face if he came back. He had a good run here, let's leave it at that and move on. You also don't make a change and do it on the cheap. If a change is to be made it is done all in. Like I said in another post..@Dooley has brought up the fact at how much UConn actually spends on football compared to others in the AAC. It's isn't even in the top 1/3. Benedict needs to get a plan and execute it...bringing back Randy Edsall isn't a good plan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced there will be a change but if there is it's important to avoid simply trying to make a splash with a known name. We certainly don't want the "Tommy Tuberville--Terry Bowden" retread versions. Hiring a "name" should garner a modicum of respect along with interest and excitement among fans and media (example Lane Kiffin). Hiring a known up and comer with ties to the Huskies might be a better fit (example Joe Moorehead).
Then we have the MAC, the feeder system of coaches for years. I like Toledo's coach Jason Candle. He's young, offensive oriented and has a solid sideline demeanor. He's the anti-Diaco and only making $700K. Check him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom