Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No its unrealistic stupidity to think you'd get any of those names you listed. For starters, we are arguing that UConn can't even afford to buyout Diaco at 5 million. You think they can afford what Miles, Strong, or Kelly would even command in salary.

I'm not even beginning to touch on how our program is so low on the totem pole and unattractive that those names would just laugh at us if we approached them.

So please, just stop.

Again, low-bar woe-is-us thinking. Miles, Strong or Kelly would come here for $2M. You know that's what Geno's getting, paid, right?

The self-inflicted mistake of the buyout is an obstacle, yes. But seems like some renegotiating might be in order to make it more palatable for UConn to eat on Nov. 27

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Again, low-bar woe-is-us thinking. Miles, Strong or Kelly would come here for $2M. You know that's what Geno's getting, paid, right?

The self-inflicted mistake of the buyout is an obstacle, yes. But seems like some renegotiating might be in order to make it more palatable for UConn to eat on Nov. 27
Well good luck with your fantasy.

Reaction Score
I've warmed up to the idea of Schiano, oddly enough. Chopping wood is a hell of a lot better than baking fish oil cakes. Plus, he would recruit in NJ and eastern PA; both places that we need and that we have acquired successful players from.

@whaler11 , what are the issues with Doeren at NCState? I haven't followed it closely enough to know why his team isn't succeeding there. They used to be a tough out, but it seems like they've fallen on tough times...

Schiano has multiple flaws but he has one quality the next UConn coach must have: he's an over-the-top, 365-days-a-year salesman, which is what this program desperately needs. Think billboards, helicopters

Reaction Score
I can't get enough of potential candidates because it has to happen and I've got no clue who would take this job. One other thing and not to change the subject but until we get a HUGE upgrade at OL we ain't gonna get no better so please whoever you are new HC bring a great recruiter and the best OL coach you can. I'll give the new HC my lunch money too if that will help Go Huskies

Reaction Score
No its unrealistic stupidity to think you'd get any of those names you listed. For starters, we are arguing that UConn can't even afford to buyout Diaco at 5 million. You think they can afford what Miles, Strong, or Kelly would even command in salary.

I'm not even beginning to touch on how our program is so low on the totem pole and unattractive that those names would just laugh at us if we approached them.

So please, just stop.
Agree with you on Miles 100%, I'm luke warm on Strong, but Kelly makes less than Diaco. $1.6 million vs $1.7

USA TODAY Sports

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It may be a mistake on my part but I'll play.

How exactly do we renegotiate the buyout to reduce the cost on 11/27/16?

Reaction Score
@Dooley has mentioned this many times...but for a school with a "P-5..$72 million dollar athletic budget" UConn is in the middle of the pack when it comes to spending in football. As he says...you get what you pay for. I agree with him 100%. Benedict can fire Diaco and bring in who ever he wants...if there is no solid support of this program the results will continue.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Joe Moorhead. As HC completely turned around a terrible Fordham program into a top 15 FCS side and now is killing it at PSU as their OC.

Moorhead in his first season at OC for Penn State has the 59th ranked offense in total yardage. Btw, we are 116, Rutty 124, BC 126 and Kent State last at #128. Northeast football is hurting. I suppose a collective funk is better than a UConn only funk. - And UMass is #113 and dare I note that Buffalo is #109.

Total Offense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Its going to come down to money. Our budget is limited. We need someone who has real HC experience and can recruit the northeast and can reach down to FL where kid #222 in the state is often better than kid #15 here. Someone that is committed to being here 4-6 years is also strongly preferred.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So the board position has gone from Diaco is coming back no matter what, to he gone?

I still thinks he gets another year by default.
He doesn't deserve it, but I really doubt we have the $ to make a change. Benedict would have to fall on his sword, expending all the goodwill of his hiring by presenting the case to Susan to fire the guy he just gave a massive extension too.

Reaction Score
Moorhead in his first season at OC for Penn State has the 59th ranked offense in total yardage. Btw, we are 116, Rutty 124, BC 126 and Kent State last at #128. Northeast football is hurting. I suppose a collective funk is better than a UConn only funk.

Total Offense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Its going to come down to money. Our budget is limited. We need someone who has real HC experience and can recruit the northeast and can reach down to FL where kid #222 in the state is often better than kid #15 here. Someone that is committed to being here 4-6 years is also strongly preferred.
Fire Benedict too and hire Bobby V away from Sacred Heart. Lol

Reaction Score
Well that would be off the rails.
JK...lol...but he does know the state and he definitely knows football. He was the greatest high school football player the state ever produced.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
JK...lol...but he does know the state and he definitely knows football. He was the greatest high school football player the state ever produced.
Better than Steve Young?

Reaction Score
I don't know...there are a few who come to mind that may be better than him...Steve Young and Dwight Freeney to name a few

Reaction Score
I still think a Butch Jones, Weist combo would be a nice addition. After Tennessees hot start they have been struggling, Jones would be an interesting hire and he does have ties to Weist at Cincy I believe.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Better than Steve Young?
If you stop the clock immediately after they stopped playing HS ball it isn't close (Bobby V was a three time first team all state, Steve Young was a pretty good option QB on a team that was a couple years away from being great).

I'd guess that there are a few who (HS alone) can be considered the best ever in CT but Bobby has to be part of that conversation.

Reaction Score
I don't know...there are a few who come to mind that may be better than him...Steve Young and Dwight Freeney to name a few
No duck***g way, and I said greatest HIGH SCHOOL player. There was no one more dominant in HS on both sides of the ball as BobbyV. He is the only HS player in state history to have made first team All State in his Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, and Senior years. He was a one man team on both sides of the ball, and won two state championships (Rippowam High) and going undefeated for two years. Ironic that he said no thanks to Ara Parseghian, John McKay, and Bear Bryant to play baseball.

Reaction Score
If you stop the clock immediately after they stopped playing HS ball it isn't close (Bobby V was a three time first team all state, Steve Young was a pretty good option QB on a team that was a couple years away from being great).

I'd guess that there are a few who (HS alone) can be considered the best ever in CT but Bobby has to be part of that conversation.
Actually 4 time 1st team all State.

Reaction Score
So the board position has gone from Diaco is coming back no matter what, to he gone?

I still thinks he gets another year by default.
There's just no way. He's made so many objectively awful decisions. I've never witnessed a more irrational coach.

Reaction Score
I want a guy with some respect and swagger.
If you had a proven guy sit up at the podium and say, "I took this job because I can win here. We have a big brand, a great fan base and the adoration of the whole state. Everyone knows who UConn is. I just need to win football games. When someone from another school says, "Why UConn football?" I say, "Look, UConn has blue blood basketball, our football facilities are as good as you'll find almost anywhere and we're only a handful of years removed from the Fiesta Bowl. Aside, from people at about 20 major D1 schools in the country, most people should be thinking, "Why not UConn?" Look at what UConn has accomplished in sports, what have you accomplished? Yeah, I thought so. This narrative that UConn can't play football ends today. I guarantee you we can play football so you better get used to it."

That guy is what I want to rejuvenate the fans. I'm a big TJ Weist fan and I like the Joe Moorhead idea too. However, if there is a guy available that can pretty much guarantee success, the school needs to go get him and swing for the fences with football one last time. Schiano is not that guy. He isn't a guaranteed slam dunk. I'd rather have someone more innovative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc