Potential Replacements for Diaco | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Outside of the obvious former coordinators that people are going to campaign for....

I wouldn't mind someone who lost a HC job at a higher level....

If NC State fires Doeren I would def consider him for the job.

Reaction Score
Les Miles comes to mind (instant credibility) although who knows what P5 job he already has lined up.

Brian Kelly and Charlie Strong if they get fired. But they too might have more attractive P5 gigs ready.

Reaction Score
Les Miles comes to mind (instant credibility) although who knows what P5 job he already has lined up.

Brian Kelly and Charlie Strong if they get fired. But they too might have more attractive P5 gigs ready.
I think those guys can afford to wait for P5 and Kelly is not getting fired. Fleck is not an option either as he is headed to P5.

Who are realistic options?

Morehead - knows the school, the recruiting trail and knows offense
Weist - same as above
Schiano - he can recruit and he script won at Rutgers. He also raised money for their facilities
Jagodzinski - okay this one is a joke but he took BC to consecutive 10 win seasond.
UConn can not'treally wait to fire BD. They will be competing with Houston, W MI, Temple and other G5 teams whose coaches are moving up.

Reaction Score
I would take TJ in a minute.
I would pay TJ what we're paying Disco now just to come back as the OC!!! TJ can win games, but we need a name, a known recruiter as HC. Maybe Schiano, Kelly?

Reaction Score
I would pay TJ what we're paying Disco now just to come back as the OC!!! TJ can win games, but we need a name, a known recruiter as HC. Maybe Schiano, Kelly?

I don't see it with Schiano. But I agree in principle. What we don't need is someone that has to figure out how to be a head coach.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would take Schiano.

i) has real experience as an actual HC (criteria #1 for the next candidate)
ii) has experience recruiting and should be able to bring NJ which is important if we are going to improve. NJ is the closest big time talent pool to UConn.

I haven't spent anytime considering the possibilities, so maybe there are several better choices, but off the cuff, seems like it could be a decent match for us, someone who wants to reestablish themselves and knows the northeast.

Reaction Score
Outside of the obvious former coordinators that people are going to campaign for....

I wouldn't mind someone who lost a HC job at a higher level....

If NC State fires Doeren I would def consider him for the job.
One thing is for sure about this one @whaler11 ..BS would either be moved to FB or maybe he should look at moving on.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Agreed that it can't be a first HC job and it has to be someone who is going to recruit well. A big name would at least bring in higher profile players. We would also be benefited by the small # of openings that should be available this offseason.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Helfrich at Oregon may be looking for a job.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to be realistic....

CS might be a possibility. He's going to get run out of Austin and might need an intermediate gig to get back to major programs. Agree Miles and Kelly are unrealistic.

Reaction Score
CS might be a possibility. He's going to get run out of Austin and might need an intermediate gig to get back to major programs. Agree Miles and Kelly are unrealistic.
Not only is Miles unrealistic but I think he's way overpriced and I don't think he would be as successful a recruiter in the Northeast. On the other hand, I would take Brian Kelly in a minute and it's not unrealistic. Believe it or not, he makes less than Diaco. Lol

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Who's the top rated guy that we could get in 2018?

WKU, App ST, Toledo, Central Michigan

I think that would be the list of current D1 head coaches. Otherwise it's coordinator/retread route.

We're doomed if Diaco doesn't turn this around.

Neither TJ nor Schiano would or should be in the pool of potential candidates. If you are going to throw those names out then you don't know who is out there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Neither TJ nor Schiano would or should be in the pool of potential candidates. If you are going to throw those names out then you don't know who is out there.
So what's your list?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want the guy I wanted when Randy left and I think he would be a better choice today than he would have been then; Mario Cristobal.

Yes, things did fall apart for him after early success as a HC at FIU (which coincidentally began after he turned down the Rutgers job) but his time under Sabah since then has had to have taught him some things. Between his time playing for Errikson's Hurricanes, coaching for Jones's Hurricanes and coaching for Saban's Tide, he has been around and part of what can be argued as the best of the best, ever, for three different stretches.

He has worked in the Northeast (spent a few years at Penn St), knows offensive line play (was a starter on multiple national title teams and coached multiple national title teams' offensive lines) which may be our most critical need, unlike many of his U Miami contemporaries, he has always been a high quality, high character guy and he would help reopen recruiting channels in southern Florida (in short time we could see more success here than we ever had).

Additionally, he is the type of person who would prefer a career job, one he can put his stamp on and own for the remainder of his career Joe Pa, pre scandal was among his heroes and there is little that he would prefer above being that guy, the guy who built it from scratch, at a program that is competing for titles regularly (showing that we could have that level of commitment may be our biggest challenge but let's face it, what we need is a football version of In Calhoun circa 1986.

Yes, he did run into some difficulty (after early success) at FIU. There are a few quality coaches who did not succeed and only succeed from day one. The exposure he has had since then can be viewed almost as graduate level HC training.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've warmed up to the idea of Schiano, oddly enough. Chopping wood is a hell of a lot better than baking fish oil cakes. Plus, he would recruit in NJ and eastern PA; both places that we need and that we have acquired successful players from.

@whaler11 , what are the issues with Doeren at NCState? I haven't followed it closely enough to know why his team isn't succeeding there. They used to be a tough out, but it seems like they've fallen on tough times...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone at Auburn that Benedict may have connections with?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
you can make fun all you want but this needs to be a 'spalsh hire. It's low-bar thinking reflected in that stupid emoji that results in PP/Diaco hires
No its unrealistic stupidity to think you'd get any of those names you listed. For starters, we are arguing that UConn can't even afford to buyout Diaco at 5 million. You think they can afford what Miles, Strong, or Kelly would even command in salary.

I'm not even beginning to touch on how our program is so low on the totem pole and unattractive that those names would just laugh at us if we approached them.

So please, just stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01