Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Funny thing is you are probably too dense to realize you are arguing against hiring someone like Calhoun by saying we need to hire a big name and make a splash.

Fair enough. Who's a Calhoun-like football coach out there at the mid-major level like Northeastern?

Reaction Score
Funny thing is you are probably too dense to realize you are arguing against hiring someone like Calhoun by saying we need to hire a big name and make a splash.

The larger point, dude, is that the minute Calhoun got on the campus he told everyone this was "do-able". Not one one of your posts suggests that you think UConn football is "do-able". So many examples of football programs that came out of nowhere (Boise, Kansas State, Northwestern for a while, even Miami in early 1980s). What's your endgame for football? Back to I-AA? MAC?

Reaction Score
The larger point, dude, is that the minute Calhoun got on the campus he told everyone this was "do-able". Not one one of your posts suggests that you think UConn football is "do-able". So many examples of football programs that came out of nowhere (Boise, Kansas State, Northwestern for a while, even Miami in early 1980s). What's your endgame for football? Back to I-AA? MAC?
Comparing the basketball program in 1986 to the football program now makes you sound like a huge crackpot

Reaction Score
First, Diaco is here next season unless he decides not to be. He's not getting fired.

That said, I'd sign on for Morehead or Wilder in a heart beat. Forget "splashy" name hires. Both guys are/have been successful head coaches, both guys play an exciting brand of football, both guys have ties in the NE, and both guys would come in and win at UConn, bringing a more open style of offense that people have been pining for.

We won't hire either though.

Reaction Score
No to be quite frank. The third smallest state in the union just doesn't have that many kids playing football.
Unless you are Texas or Florida you don't win by recruiting your home state anyway so available talent is not hugely relevant. You win by recruiting the 95 corridor and landing a few Florida kids and DEVELOPING the kids you have. And the goal isn't a national championship (if he is honest Calhoun will tell you that wasn't his at first either--doable meant competitive in the Big East). The goal is a consistent top 35ish program. Do that and from time to time you'll catch lightening in a bottle or land a Matt Ryan or Dan O and find yourself in the national conversation. That's the Boise model. Was the BC model and more or less the Houston and Navy models.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Unless you are Texas or Florida you don't win by recruiting your home state anyway so available talent is not hugely relevant. You win by recruiting the 95 corridor and landing a few Florida kids and DEVELOPING the kids you have. And the goal isn't a national championship (if he is honest Calhoun will tell you that wasn't his at first either--doable meant competitive in the Big East). The goal is a consistent top 35ish program. Do that and from time to time you'll catch lightening in a bottle or land a Matt Ryan or Dan O and find yourself in the national conversation. That's the Boise model. Was the BC model and more or less the Houston and Navy models.

And it's all any UConn fan would expect. We'd fill the Rent for a team like that. I don't think anyone is blind to our disadvantages.

Reaction Score
Boise State has competent QB play year in and year out though...

Reaction Score
And it's all any UConn fan would expect. We'd fill the Rent for a team like that. I don't think anyone is blind to our disadvantages.
Right. And you know what? That's all 120 of the 128 schools playing 1A football can expect. If I asked you to name 8 teams every August from which the 4 teams will be chosen my guess is you would get 2 every year and all 4 75% of the time. For everybody else the goal is to get into the conversation occasionally. Like Memphis and Temple and Houston all have been in recent years.

Reaction Score
Your posts get harder and harder to respond to, but I will try. Saying Les Miles will have better options than UConn is not saying UConn should go back to 1-AA, that leap is really something even for you.

Diaco walked in here and said it was "do-able" in fact he said it was a lot more than that, so again you Calhoun references are just off base.

UConn can be decent in football with hiring the right coach, but you need to realize that saying Miles will have better options is not setting the bar low or saying UConn has no chance at success, it is simply being realistic and having some understanding of where UConn is in the national landscape for football.

Reaction Score
Saying Miles will have better options is not setting the bar low or saying UConn has no chance at success, it is simply being realistic and having some understanding of where UConn is in the national landscape for football.

Again, not saying is Miles my only choice. My beef with you is how quickly you shot it out of the sky.

Now we're getting somewhere. How do you define "being decent in football"?

Reaction Score
Boise mostly gets system qbs who function well in what they want to do. And that is fine. I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Having system QB to fit your system and be competent at in that system is the goal of every CFB team at the FBS I'd imagine... Something we have a hard time with.... We gotta fix that...

Reaction Score
Can you really become "the next Boise" in the current CFB landscape?

Reaction Score
Can you really become "the next Boise" in the current CFB landscape?
Actually I think you can. Let's take Houston. All they have done is beat FSU last year and Oklahoma this year. Now 2 years in a row they have had wtf losses, to us last year and SMU this but if they come out next year and spank Arizona and Texas Tech they are there. Maybe they luck out and get a mid level ACC team in a bowl and smack them around this year. Or the beat Louisville. Who knows? Or Temple beats Notre Dame next year. Those are the type of wins that put and keep you in the limelight. I'd give an awful lot to beat Missouri next year even if they aren't going to be confused with Alabama

Reaction Score
Just like what Diaco's making
You asked for minimum it is likely Miles pushes for $3mill plus look up the coaches making $4 mill and over and tell me all of them are better than miles

Reaction Score
Let's take Houston.
Houston is a terrible example to compare UCONN to, they are located in Texas where you can field a top 25 team with just the recruits leftover after the Big12 is done recruiting the state. If you get a coach that can produce on the field and recruit, like Herman, you can field a national contender. The only non-P5 schools that have the potential to compete nationally would be those located in or around FL and TX, where the talent pool is large to draw from.

Reaction Score
You asked for minimum it is likely Miles pushes for $3mill plus look up the coaches making $4 mill and over and tell me all of them are better than miles

But those guys over $4 million aren't in danger of losing their jobs, right?

Reaction Score
But those guys over $4 million aren't in danger of losing their jobs, right?
Charlie Strong, James Franklin, Gus Malzhan, and Butch Jones have all been on the hot seat I don't understand your point, and
Bobby Petrino got $3.8 mill to go back to Louisville I guarantee someone will fork that over for miles

Reaction Score
Houston is a terrible example to compare UCONN to, they are located in Texas where you can field a top 25 team with just the recruits leftover after the Big12 is done recruiting the state. If you get a coach that can produce on the field and recruit, like Herman, you can field a national contender. The only non-P5 schools that have the potential to compete nationally would be those located in or around FL and TX, where the talent pool is large to draw from.
Then everyone else should just drop football. You really and truly need to get past the idea that UConn is limited to recruiting Connecticut. Our pool extends from Boston through Virginia and then Florida. Houston can have teams because it has a coach who can recruit and the guy can coach. When they didn't gave that they were an afterthought. Boise is in Freaking Idaho. Why are they successful but Idaho dropped to 1AA? Why has KState been solid for years? There a fewer football players from Kansas that Connecticut and its in Kansas for heaven sakes. Location is an element but by no means a determining one. Or look at Navy. Do you have any idea of the nonsense those guys need to go through? And when the graduate they go into the Navy. Yet they are ranked. And they are exactly what I'm talking about. Top 35ish every year and when things break right they are top 25 or better.

Reaction Score
Then everyone else should just drop football. You really and truly need to get past the idea that UConn is limited to recruiting Connecticut. Our pool extends from Boston through Virginia and then Florida. Houston can have teams because it has a coach who can recruit and the guy can coach. When they didn't gave that they were an afterthought. Boise is in Freaking Idaho. Why are they successful but Idaho dropped to 1AA? Why has KState been solid for years? There a fewer football players from Kansas that Connecticut and its in Kansas for heaven sakes. Location is an element but by no means a determining one. Or look at Navy. Do you have any idea of the nonsense those guys need to go through? And when the graduate they go into the Navy. Yet they are ranked. And they are exactly what I'm talking about. Top 35ish every year and when things break right they are top 25 or better.
You completely missed my point, and thats where you recruit matters. Boise recruits CA and the Pacific Northwest aggressively thats how they stay in the conversation, what I'm saying is that schools that have to recruit out of state and geographical area are at a disadvantage because by the time they find out about a kid it is likely that local schools have already reached out. Conference and school prestige can trump this disadvantage, which is the problem that UCONN has as the top recruits in the state get poached. The talent pool in the state isn't that great so we have to look outside of the state, but we haven't had a coach that can recruit out of state at a high level. Schools in TX and FL don't have to worry about their local talent pools drying up so they don't need coaches who can recruit out of state at a high level, just coaches who know the local area. Some people might say "whats the difference", well a coach who recruits locally can be someone who grew up or just knows the area and has local connections, local coaches often get recommended players first by head coaches so if a coach already has ties to the high school they can usually get the first crack at a prospect. UCONN tried this with Paul Pasqualoni, and he was somewhat successful recruiting in state, but failed out of state which in a state with a small talent pool this is crucial. This problem is nullified in southern states as their pools are hundreds of players deep compared to New England where all the states combined probably send 50ish kids total to D1 schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom