Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Miles Might be beyond Uconn's grasp is the first rational line in your many posts.

Miles had a top 10-15 job in CFB with facilties, institutional support, donor support and the right league. If he gets back into the game, it will be to a 35-45 slot job (think MSU, ASU). It is not 100% a money equation. It is more like 75% ego and 25% money for someone like Miles. Charlie Strong, maybe closer, but he is not dropping below a top 50 job. Kelly, not a shot (even though he is not getting fired from ND this year) as he is the Miles category.

Some of the other names people threw out are also not likely. Why would a top coach in the MAC, C-USA or someone already in the AAC make a lateral move? There is no conference prestige with associated with an AAC job. Those are the guys you will see going to NC State, Purdue, South Carolina, etc.

You can throw all the money in the world at a name coach but that won't make it happen. Uconn went with name coach with BD. They gambled and lost so far on someone without a single game of head coaching experience. Once bitten twice shy? Of course PP had the HC experience but you can also question how far down the food chain he had fallen since his glory days at Cuse (largely with another coaches players).

This time, reach down a level or two and grab an offensive minded, successful HC. Someone who understands what a modern offense should look like. Someone that has a current winning record.

After thinking about this and who might be a realistic option, my choice - Bob Stitt. This is an innovative, exciting coach with success (in cold weather environments) who would be stepping up in stature by taking an AAC job.

Second choice - Joe Morehead.Offensive minded, suucess as a head coach and OC at a P5 tradition school.

Third choice - Scott Satterfield; success as HC, runs a modern offensive scheme

Last Choice - Charlie Weiss. Hold your laughter for a second. Ultimate ego looking for a shot a redemption. Can wave Super Bowl rings at recruits, can actually run an offense and put him in a league where there may be only 1 or 2 good D's, he would be running at a division title quickly. Plus, he may not cost too much given how much of his contract buyouts he still sits on. Like I said, he is a last choice.

You were doing ok until Weiss....seriously? What happened at ND, Florida or Kansas makes you think he would do well? The only success he had was in the pros as an OC....he doesn't work as a college coach...never has....never will. He was Pasqualoni to Kansas. I would keep Diaco before even thinking about Weiss.

Reaction Score
Miles had a top 10-15 job in CFB with facilties, institutional support, donor support and the right league.

OK, the last 2 LSU kills UConn. If you mean facilities INCLUDING the Rent, obviously no comparison. But as far as the actual team facility UConn's still holds up against the best in the country. As far as institutional support depends on how you define it. If it means admitting very academically shaky kids then I don't see UConn going that route. But in other aspects UConn can provide that as much as it does to Ollie IMO.

Reaction Score
It isn't like guys like Miles won't come here if they want to coach. Frank Solich went from Nebraska to Ohio as one example. That scumball at Louisville coached Western Ky. There are others as well.

Reaction Score
You were doing ok until Weiss....seriously? What happened at ND, Florida or Kansas makes you think he would do well? The only success he had was in the pros as an OC....he doesn't work as a college coach...never has....never will. He was Pasqualoni to Kansas. I would keep Diaco before even thinking about Weiss.
Okay, I said last choice. He was over his head at the other 3 schools by a lot. But sometimes the redemption shot in a league that fits the ability level might be good. Of course, if I used the same measuring tools that I used to eliminate a few other coaches, he should be crossed off the list too. He would be crossed off for the same reason I crossed Edsall off, overall record as a head coach.

I hereby retract my statement on Weiss. I bigly made a colossal waste of time and effort in that thought process.

Reaction Score
Looks like he wants to get back into the game. Listen, I'm not saying Miles is my first choice or the only choice and he very well might be beyond UConn's grasp. But just getting a name like that associated with this program can't hurt at this stage, right? Why not set the bar high for coaching talent?

Source: Miles mulling coordinators for '17 return
No getting Miles would help the program, everyone would love to get him, but he is not coming here. The fact you think offering him 2 mill a year would interest him is mind boggling, almost as mind boggling as you saying that people are setting the bar low for knowing its unrealistic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we can afford to pay the women's basketball coach $2 million we can afford to pay the next coach at least that. Some people think Les Miles, etc. won't come here because we're not good enough for them. Guarantee Les Miles would take $2 million at this stage. There's talk that at 62 he might get shut out of the market in this cycle because of his age.

Maybe we can't afford to pay the football coach because we pay our WBB coach $2m. I am sure most others don't make 1/4 of that.

The reality is...if they could get Miles at say $2.5m, they'd find the money. I don't see it happening though, for other reasons.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Some interesting names, many of which are pipe dreams. I think Bob will be back next year, but that's his last shot. Winning record is what it will take for him to get another year.

Something to consider by the way, canning a coach after three seasons does not make your school more attractive to potential new coaches. They want to know that they'll get a fair shot to turn things around.

We kept Randy 10. I think candidates will understand PP was garbage. It would depending a lot on what BD says behind the scenes. Has has to understand how bad we've been.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Les Miles on coaching next season....

"I'm looking for a place dedicated to the players' achievement in the classroom and that wants to win championships," said Miles, who turned down television offers after his dismissal at LSU. "If there's an athletic director and president that wants to do that, I'm in line."

Tell me this doesn't sound like SH and Benedict??

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not , but that is quite possibly the most generic statement he could have issued.

Let me know when he says he wants to coach in New England but isn't a big Massachusetts guy .

Reaction Score
Joe Moorhead is fine with me. I'd throw another name out there, HC Jason Candle at Toledo. I doubt he'd leave the Midwest as OH seems to be the primary place he's played or coached, but he might leave for more money (he currently makes $700k). Candle runs an OL-friendly spread offense that is currently #4 in the FBS and made up of mostly 2 star guys.

Reaction Score
No getting Miles would help the program, everyone would love to get him, but he is not coming here. The fact you think offering him 2 mill a year would interest him is mind boggling, almost as mind boggling as you saying that people are setting the bar low for knowing its unrealistic.

OK, since you're an expert on all things coaching moves, where is Les a top candidate and what is his minimum salary?

Reaction Score
OK, since you're an expert on all things coaching moves, where is Les a top candidate and what is his minimum salary?
Low level P-5, $1.5-2 million

Reaction Score
Purdue, NC State, Oregon, Arizona and GT for starters will probably all be open and pay their coaches more than 2 million, some well over 2 million, and all are much better jobs than UConn and make sense for him.

This is not to mention the 2nd tier jobs that could come open (Houston) by losing their coaches to USC, LSU, Texas, ND, Tenny, ect.

Miles will be an extremely hot commodity and their will be no shortage of jobs open for him to chose from that are much better jobs than UConn.

Reaction Score
Purdue, NC State, Oregon, Arizona and GT for starters will probably all be open and pay their coaches more than 2 million, some well over 2 million, and all are much better jobs than UConn and make sense for him.

This is not to mention the 2nd tier jobs that could come open (Houston) by losing their coaches to USC, LSU, Texas, ND, Tenny, ect.

Miles will be an extremely hot commodity and their will be no shortage of jobs open for him to chose from that are much better jobs than UConn.
If Arizona is open that means Rich Rod is on the market, Benedict definitely needs to place a call and gauge interest. Another guy who should have been courted like no tomorrow when Edsall left. He should have been the number 1 guy on that Hathaway's speed dial.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agree with the premise generally, but Oregon is not hiring a run/defense minded coach like Miles. It's just not their image.

Reaction Score
Just like what Diaco's making

Why can't you understand that money isn't the sole factor? Miles would get the same or more from other programs - programs that are held in much higher standing and that have a much better chance to compete. This shouldn't be so difficult.

Reaction Score
Why can't you understand that money isn't the sole factor? Miles would get the same or more from other programs - programs that are held in much higher standing and that have a much better chance to compete. This shouldn't be so difficult.
Also, the only P5 that pays their coach that little is Kansas.

The schools that pay in that range are: Connecticut, USF, Bosie, Fresno, Colorado State, North Texas and Tulane.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Les Miles on coaching next season....

"I'm looking for a place dedicated to the players' achievement in the classroom and that wants to win championships," said Miles, who turned down television offers after his dismissal at LSU. "If there's an athletic director and president that wants to do that, I'm in line."

Tell me this doesn't sound like SH and Benedict??

Miles' buyout requires him to seek another job. I question how much he really wants one. He won't win at a place where he doesn't have a huge talent advantage either.

Reaction Score

You're right, it shouldn't be so difficult being a nattering nabob of negativism like all you low-bar types. Wonder what your mindset was in 1986 when Calhoun got hired.

Reaction Score
You're right, it shouldn't be so difficult being a nattering nabob of negativism like all you low-bar types. Wonder what your mindset was in 1986 when Calhoun got hired.
Good hire of a successful coach at a lower division school that had not had much success prior to his arrival. Local guy who knows how to recruit the area.

And 1986 BB is much different than 2014 FB. So since you are comparing pomegranates to cantaloupes, you should try and give us some reason how Calhoun's hiring is even relevant to this conversation.

Reaction Score
Funny thing is you are probably too dense to realize you are arguing against hiring someone like Calhoun by saying we need to hire a big name and make a splash.

C

chiller99.5

Is there that much recruitable talent in the CT area? Im out of the area and was curious on that statement. I have worked with a hs program in NC that has put players in S.Carolina, Tenn, Navy and UNC and NC State and consider ECU a real last resort for player improvement

Reaction Score
Is there that much recruitable talent in the CT area? Im out of the area and was curious on that statement. I have worked with a hs program in NC that has put players in S.Carolina, Tenn, Navy and UNC and NC State and consider ECU a real last resort for player improvement
No to be quite frank. The third smallest state in the union just doesn't have that many kids playing football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Dow futures being down 800 points is really the sharp stick in the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom