Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boise will admit kids that Uconn would not (academically speaking in general- not that we are literally competing with them for particular recruits)
I believe K State recruits a fair amount of Juco kids too.

I would agree with others that if UConn is serious about football the admission standards for football players have to be the same as these schools if they want to compete.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Boise's success was primarily built on PAC-10 (now 12) talent that couldn't get admitted into PAC-10 (now 12) schools.

I'm not saying we can't build something here (I am still convinced we can) but it will need to be a far different model than Boise's.

Reaction Score
Jays I get your point. But I have 2 that you seem to miss. First forget about Connecticut and recruiting. It doesn't matter in the least. That is a guaranteed fail. You need to look at roughly the I95-84 corridors plus Florida. It takes longer to get from Sa Antonio to Houston than Storrs to DC.

#2. Coaching matters. We need someone who focuses on player development. We are not getting 5 star guys so we need to figure mostly 2 star or lower who are less polished but with a good upside and our coach needs to coach the up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No to be quite frank. The third smallest state in the union just doesn't have that many kids playing football.

Wait a minute. did you just call us the third smallest state in the union in reference to recruiting kids?

You do understand that we recruit people, not land, right? when it comes to population, we are in the middle of the pack for the USA. The best part of that is; since we have a small land area, all of those kids can play 11 vs 11 instead of 7 vs 7 like in some of those "big states"...;)

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. did you just call us the third smallest state in the union in reference to recruiting kids?

You do understand that we recruit people, not land, right? when it comes to population, we are in the middle of the pack for the USA. The best part of that is; since we have a small land area, all of those kids can play 11 vs 11 instead of 7 vs 7 like in some of those "big states"...;)

yup. We can be a solid program without getting the best of Connecticut. Losing out on every CTHSFB player isn't a death kneel for UConn if we can find talent elsewhere. We'll know we've made it if we can keep the Tarik Black and Ben Mason's of the state in house, but that's going to come after we had success - it's not going to create our success.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
yup. We can be a solid program without getting the best of Connecticut. Losing out on every CTHSFB player isn't a death kneel for UConn if we can find talent elsewhere. We'll know we've made it if we can keep the Tarik Black and Ben Mason's of the state in house, but that's going to come after we had success - it's not going to create our success.

Um, no. We can't miss on EVERY top CT player. we normally grab 2 or 3 of the top 10 in our state, and we need to continue that or even better than that. We need players like Thomas and Newsome to continue to come here, just the same way that the CT players came before them. Lutrus, Donald Thomas, Hurd, Trevardo, Orlovsky, etc.

CT still has to remain part of the game plan...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Jays I get your point. But I have 2 that you seem to miss. First forget about Connecticut and recruiting. It doesn't matter in the least. That is a guaranteed fail. You need to look at roughly the I95-84 corridors plus Florida. It takes longer to get from Sa Antonio to Houston than Storrs to DC.

#2. Coaching matters. We need someone who focuses on player development. We are not getting 5 star guys so we need to figure mostly 2 star or lower who are less polished but with a good upside and our coach needs to coach the up.

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but it takes roughly twice as long to drive from Storrs to DC (370 mi) than from Houston to SA (200 mi), and that's assuming you can drive the speed limit the whole way. Hartford, NYC, Philly and Baltimore are between Storrs and DC...nothing but ranchland and a handful of very small towns are between Houston and SA, and a 75 mph limit most of the way.

I'll admit you'll find probably five times more blue chip football recruits on that ride through Texas, no matter how long it takes. Those small towns in between produce a ton of HS football talent, including Sealy, home of Eric Dickerson.

C

chiller99.5

I think this is a major problem in recruiting being that football in CT is not major league in the high school level and the studs from warm weather states dont want to deal with the climate un less it comes with a paycheck. UCONN may have to come up with a niche to attract talent, maybe instead of trying racehorse run and gun football an old school power back game or option attack

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm watching the Pitt-Clemson game, and while Peterman was OK in 1st half, after watching his poor execution and inability to avoid tackles or scramble in the 2nd half, I'm actually thinking Shireffs would look pretty good in Matt Canada's offense.

This game has been wild. If not for two inches (the non-fumble on the goal line) Pitt could be up 14 or more. As it is, they've already put up 40 points on #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom