• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I know it will never happen and I'm regurgitating bile even thinking it but aiding an ACC breakup and having Big12 add Pitt and 'cuse would be an interesting play.

Pitt and 'cuse now know they aren't part of the Magnificent 7 and they are likely to be left to fend for themselves when the ACC breaks up. Rather than wait to see who wants ACC scraps, proacticely engage them to go with Mag 7 and dissolve ACC.

A UConn, 'cuse, Pitt, Cincy and WVU block forms a nice transition from northeast to rust belt. Screw BCU, they can die on an island. Put UCF in this group too.

Big 12 goes to 18 teams total. They add some Pac12 scraps and have three divisions of 6 each.

As I said, this has no chance of happening, so no need to go crazy telling me why it won’t happen. I know it's not. But it would be enough to help UConn AD across the board.

You’re absolutely right. If the Big XII wants to add UConn, they can’t simply leave us out on an island as they did with West Virginia. They would have to create a Northeast division so that membership would make some kind of sense for us.

Reaction Score
UConn is the only Public State University left in the NBE, all other members are Private / Catholic Universities with the exception of Butler that is only Private. Uconn is also the only one supporting FBS Football.

I love the Big East, new & old, but UConn has a tough time supporting the Athletic Dept at this point with the funds from the Big East contract. UConn needs more $ money to come in to support athletics plain & simple. As much as my preference is to have UConn play BB in the BE it's more important to survive in the future so they'll do what they need to do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1. He has no control over that and 2. No one can guarantee that will go on forever
Oh, c'mon. Maybe no control but plenty of influence. Just a needlessly argumentative post.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be clear, the original discussion was about some ACC schools (namely UNC, Virginia, Clemson or FSU) leaving for the SEC or B1G. That's the context. I said that even in such a situation, the ACC would be stronger and better situated than the B12.
I know. I'm saying, if they can impose some unbalanced revenue model to keep those schools, as the contract gets closer, they'd be in even better position. The best result is an ACC that loses no schools and adds some.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You used to be so much better at trolling Friar. Nowadays you're pretty much phoning it in from the handbook, you know,...
post something neutral,
post some thing vaguely insulting about Connecticut,
post something more insulting about Connecticut,
and then whine that you're being treated unfairly.

I mean, if you just going to phone it in, what's the point of coming on a Connecticut board to talk trash about UConn?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Not that my opinion holds any stock but I'm only in favor of the B12 if they add some other fun Northeast matchups for us like Louisville, Cuse, Pitt, etc
If you think longterm, there's a good chance those schools will probably join us. The ACC will be falling apart in 10 years. If we get an offer to Big 12 now, we say yes, and thank our lucky stars.

Reaction Score
If you think longterm, there's a good chance those schools will probably join us. The ACC will be falling apart in 10 years. If we get an offer to Big 12 now, we say yes, and thank our lucky stars.

But what makes you think the Big 12 won't be falling apart just like the ACC? The two cash cows of the B12 just left and their replacements are nothing to write home about

Reaction Score
First, many who post on here clearly don't have half a brain, at least on this, so ....

As for your second point, you can't change factual accuracy by pretending it's just annoying semantics. As a matter of the law of business organization, the entity that is the American IS the entity that was originally formed as the Big East. Same FEIN number, same corporate (or LP or LLC) file in whatever jurisdiction it is organized in. You can feel free to call the truth hilarious, or ridiculous, or a technicality, but despite what almost half of American thinks in 2023 truth doesn't change because someone deems it ridiculous.

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
But what makes you think the Big 12 won't be falling apart just like the ACC? The two cash cows of the B12 just left and their replacements are nothing to write home about
Nothing is certain, but I know this:

1) Two years ago I wouldn't have said this, but the Big 12 is sitting in a position of strength compared to the ACC and PAC. PAC will announce their deal in a few weeks/months which will not be as big as the Big 12's current deal. The Big 12 deal goes until 2031 and the ACC is locked in until 2036. So, the Big 12 will be at the table negotiating again for more money before the ACC's deal even comes up.

2) Other than possibly Kansas to the B1G (long-shot), I don't see any other teams leaving the conference. The ACC has some properties that both the SEC and B1G want, so they will be the weakest and picked apart. At that point, I'd argue that the Big 12 would be stronger than the ACC leftovers and some of those leftovers might end up in the Big 12 (not you BC, sit down).

Since the Big East basketball-only's split off from the football schools, I thought the play at the time was that we should've gone independent in football and remained with the Big east. It took us a few years to figure that out, but we got there. Now, I think the move is take the offer from the Big 12 (if it comes) because it might not be there later and then we're stuck with BC and Wake Forest as our "peers", and we're a much bigger brand than that.

Reaction Score
Struggling to come up with these names. Virginia Tech is the only one I can think of. Oregon, Washington and Arizona are all AAU. Which others are there than UConn?
True there aren't that many and we could debate who would make more sense but Va Tech, Clemson, FSU, NC State, WVU, ND, Miami, Arizona State, Okie State

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I bet the B12 guy liked the BB stadium. And did you see it's next to the new hockey barn and soccer stadium? Across from the new softball stadium.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
True there aren't that many and we could debate who would make more sense but Va Tech, Clemson, FSU, NC State, WVU, ND, Miami, Arizona State, Okie State

The top 60 is a bit arbitrary. The B1G is looking at research, so that bubble should be removed. Still shows you the top candidates.

Reaction Score
Now that is actually interesting.
I think the most interesting part about it, is that it means they want to go to 16. So for all the complaints about basketball, it would be fine in a few years. We'd likely be in an eastern division that looks something like:

UConn
Cinci
UCF
West Virginia
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Duke

We'd play all those schools once a year in football and twice a year in basketball. We'd only be going way out west 3 times per year for basketball and 1-2 times per year in football.

This is the only way it makes sense for everyone involved.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think the most interesting part about it, is that it means they want to go to 16. So for all the complaints about basketball, it would be fine in a few years. We'd likely be in an eastern division that looks something like:

UConn
Cinci
UCF
West Virginia
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Duke

We'd play all those schools once a year in football and twice a year in basketball. We'd only be going way out west 3 times per year for basketball and 1-2 times per year in football.

This is the only way it makes sense for everyone involved.
What makes sense is the ACC + WVU, Cinci, UConn and maybe UCF and the Big XII adding the remaining Pac teams. Which is why it probably won't happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom