Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Great added points!

I think sports act as the typical flagship university's front porch which helps build enthusiasm within its home state, helps with building its state budget commitments, creates exposure to prospective out of state students, and sustains/builds connections to alumns and donors.

In terms of BU (my undergraduate alma mater), there are a few dynamics involved. We actually had a high performing football program at the Yankee Conference/1AA level when the plug was suddenly pulled in 1997; sent several guys to the NFL in the 80s and 90s including Bill Brooks who was 1986 AFC Rookie of the Year.

BU was one of the first American universities to strongly go after high performing international students. If you walk the campus or step into the student union now you might not even think you are in a US city. This increased the academic profile of BU and that helped with recruiting more high profile US students as well. Research was also focused on and now BU is in the AAU and is considered one of the leading research universities in the US and even globally in certain fields (medical, life sciences, high tech, socio/politics, etc.). Pretty remarkable trajectory over a couple of decades, actually.

Long way of saying, athletic success and academic success can work together but obviously can be mutually exclusive as well.
BU '90 here as well.

I'm always interested too in the question of branding. Typically, the AD gets all the money from the sale of sweatshirts and the like. But if anyone steps foot on Cal Santa Barbara's campus, NYU, Boston U, etc., there's some people wearing school colors. It's not strictly a sports thing.

Reaction Score
If you think longterm, there's a good chance those schools will probably join us. The ACC will be falling apart in 10 years. If we get an offer to Big 12 now, we say yes, and thank our lucky stars.
If the ACC were smart, they'd talk to ESPN and ABC now, get an idea of the payout for a conference without UNC, Virginia, FSU and Clemson, and then decide if it would be smarter for them to let those 4 schools leave with a negotiated settlement (say $25m each), and go after schools like UConn, WV, maybe even Kansas.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If there is a market that gets the hodge podge of flyover schools and community colleges like the Big 12 that much money, then let's see how well the Big East can do on its own.
Since it's football that means 80% of the revenue. So take 20% of their deal, add about $ 1 M a school for being the Big East and you get about $9 m a yr for the new Big East contract.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I hope you're right. I'm not saying that to be snarky, I really do hope if this happens that I'm proven wrong and we're the outlier that has continues our success. Syracuse and Pitt were top level programs in 2013. Cuse has made a few deep tournament runs, but otherwise hasn't been very successful. Pitt has completely fallen apart. BC wasn't that good to start, but they have dropped so much that I can barely remember the last time they were even remotely relevant. The hit rate for teams leaving the Big East has not been very good. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Do the coaches they had during that time matter? Over the hill Boeheim, bad hires and athletic department disfunction at Pitt and BC is well, Rutgers of the private schools.

Reaction Score
BU '90 here as well.

I'm always interested too in the question of branding. Typically, the AD gets all the money from the sale of sweatshirts and the like. But if anyone steps foot on Cal Santa Barbara's campus, NYU, Boston U, etc., there's some people wearing school colors. It's not strictly a sports thing.
BU '09 - very true about the international influence here. BU to Big 12 confirmed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Simple. The teams in the Big 12 have nowhere else to go.
Animated GIF

Reaction Score
What makes sense is the ACC + WVU, Cinci, UConn and maybe UCF and the Big XII adding the remaining Pac teams. Which is why it probably won't happen.
Big 12 has a GOR.

Reaction Score
Why? What is the incentive does the B12 have without our Basketball men's and women's teams? Do you really think they want a bottom of the barrel college football team just because we are in the Northeast? It will be all sports or no sports if we move to the B12. B12 has some pretty good basketball teams in Kansas, Baylor, Houston, Iowa St., K-State and Texas Tech.
I think he was joking.

Reaction Score
I do not believe we'd be taken BECAUSE of football... Men and Womens BB is what I feel keeps our name in the game. Would love to have baseball head out to Omaha (Big 12 territory) plus all the other ranked sports teams we have.

regarding football: attendance is a major check on the negative side, as is winning record consistency, recruiting quality, NIL (even though I do not know numbers-I'm sure the oil and land owners/alumni in midwest (Big 12) will be more than ours), We would be the Rutgers of the Big 12 in football. I say this not to be a debbie downer (I went to Marshall Bowl game) but am not falling for a college sports dream again. .....I'm sure there are more reasons but am in a hurry to meet son at bar (21st birthday today)

We need to be realistic and not jump at rumors like we did in the past.

(Am not looking forward to any responses when I look at this later):(
Football recruiting in CT and New England is now considered a plus because of the talent coming out of the prep schools.

Reaction Score
Why can’t UConn go to the ACC?
They're just not that into us. They have had a decade plus t
Simple. The teams in the Big 12 have nowhere else to go.
And they lost their top 2 brands AND negotiated a contract without them that was on par with the ACC with Clemson and FSU AND they will go to market at least 1 more time before the ACC. That's what you call a win, win, win.

Reaction Score
I'm stealing this from the cuse board and what is interesting is, everyone in the ACC wants out. I'd replace bcu with USF or Temple or something. Big XII x II:

"Big 12 East
Boston College (MA)
Connecticut (CT)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Kansas (KS)
Duke (NC)
Wake Forest (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)
UCF (FL)

Big 12 West
Iowa St (IA)
Kansas St (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Houston (TX)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Texas Tech (TX)
Colorado (CO)
BYU (UT)
Utah (UT)
Arizona (AZ)
Arizona St (AZ)"
Not a great travel schedule for the Jayhawks

Reaction Score
If the ACC 7 split, pick up the remnants and add Temple.

4 hoops pods, play within pod twice and other pods once for a 18 game conference schedule.

• UConn, Providence, Boston College, Seton Hall, Temple
  • Villanova, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Syracuse, St. John's
  • DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, Xavier
  • Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake, Louisville, Pitt

Football:
  • Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake, UConn, Villanova, Temple

Reaction Score
We don’t need a second small Philly school in temple. Memphis brings in another decent market as the 25th biggest city and has a much higher ceiling as a program in football.

And idk how you organized those pods but these are the best geographic pods

• UConn, PC, BC, Cuse, SJU
  • Hall, Georgetown, Nova, Pitt, Xavier
  • DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, Notre Dame
  • Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake, Louisville, Memphis

Football:
  • Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake, UConn, Villanova, Memphis
[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score

4 hoops pods, play within pod twice and other pods once for a 18 game conference schedule.

Football:
  • Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake, UConn, Villanova, Temple
Looks like you did the pods geographically but didn’t have the two Philly schools in the same pod?

Reaction Score

Football:

They ACC remnants would try to build a better football league because the one you are proposing would not be good enough for an auto-bid and would be relegated to G-5 status.

They would either try to steal WVU, Cincy and UCF from the B12 and add UCONN or they would join the B12.

If WVU, Cincy, and UCF were willing to move I could see them then trying to go hybrid to shore up basketball by inviting Nova, StJohns, Gtown but I don't think they would want to swallow the entire Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it would be more likely..big east schools joining what’s left of the acc

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

Football:
NCAA rules (I believe) prohibit divisions or pods in conference scheduling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom