Poll Will Muffet McGraw be at the Draft Tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll Will Muffet McGraw be at the Draft Tonight

Will Muffet McGraw be at the WNBA Draft Tonight

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even though Geno couldn't be there, he sent flowers to Kaleena, Kiah and their mothers. Also, the whole team was there with Marisa. Nobody cheered louder than their row when Kaleena, then Kiah were drafted.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg tweeted all ND Coaches had prior commitments, so none will be in attendance.

I can see that Muffet might not be available, but hard to believe that all ND Coaches had commitments that could not be broken so that one could attend.
Why is keeping a commitment so hard to believe? Just because Loyd didn't keep hers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Even though Geno couldn't be there, he sent flowers to Kaleena, Kiah and their mothers. Also, the whole team was there with Marisa. Nobody cheered louder than their row when Kaleena, then Kiah were drafted.
JB it seems like the way this thread is going we are going to have to have all the coaches and assistants fax in official excuses for not being at the draft. "We know Marisa was there but what about Shea and where was Chris Dailey"...silly season IMO.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Neither were there..Would have been nice to see both.

That being said, if i say something about Muffet which was a last minute decision by Lloyd, then i should probably give equal time to Geno since he knew the day they announced the draft date that KML would be there,

The coaches put in a ton of time during the season and tournament. Once it is over, I don't blame either one for taking time to do other things, official or personal.

Reaction Score
Just curious: I know Geno sent flowers to Kaleena and Kia and their moms. Does anyone know if Muffet did something similar? (I missed the draft broadcast).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just curious: I know Geno sent flowers to Kaleena and Kia and their moms. Does anyone know if Muffet did something similar? (I missed the draft broadcast).
To whom, Loyd, why would she? Hopefully we understand that she may be upset with Jewel... why do we continue to expect her to play nice. Geno still should have been there any other commitment that he may had is because of these ladies... he owe them more than flowers. #dontgetwhatsthebigdeal

Reaction Score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I didn't say she should or shouldn't have. I was just curious -- ND is normally pretty good at PR, and it seems like the kind of thing that she or the administration might have wanted to do.

I don't have any expectation of Muffet, nasty or nice. Just because I'm somewhat interested in the facts, doesn't mean I have an agenda.

Reaction Score
Why is keeping a commitment so hard to believe? Just because Loyd didn't keep hers.
She kept more of a commitment than what she owed ND. She took them to how many NCAA tournaments? They can give her scholarship to someone else.

She was not a slave to ND.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll be pleasantly surprised if she goes. If I'm Jewell, I'm not sure I want her there.
Should she have been surprised?

From a Mechelle Voepel article on ESPN (scroll down):

Loyd said repeatedly Thursday night that she and her family had prepared extensively for taking this path to professionalism, just as she has prepared for every other step she has taken in her life.

However, Loyd didn't say exactly when she knew for sure that she was leaving. It seems pretty clear, though, that she knew or at least seriously was considering it even before the NCAA tournament. We can piece together what seems to have happened: Loyd thought it best not to reveal to McGraw what she was really thinking

It wasn't a last minute decision to enter the draft. Jewel either lied or at least misled Muffet when she said she'd be returning. I'd be pissed, too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She kept more of a commitment than what she owed ND. She took them to how many NCAA tournaments? They can give her scholarship to someone else.

She was not a slave to ND.
Ulm no. When you change your mind and don't do something you've told someone you would do, that's not keeping your commitment

Reaction Score

Loyd said repeatedly Thursday night that she and her family had prepared extensively for taking this path to professionalism, just as she has prepared for every other step she has taken in her life.

However, Loyd didn't say exactly when she knew for sure that she was leaving. It seems pretty clear, though, that she knew or at least seriously was considering it even before the NCAA tournament. We can piece together what seems to have happened: Loyd thought it best not to reveal to McGraw what she was really thinking

It wasn't a last minute decision to enter the draft. Jewel either lied or at least misled Muffet when she said she'd be returning. I'd be pissed, too.
Yep. Jewell shouldn't have said anything about it. Why was it even necessary? The only thing that kind of taints the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Ulm no. When you change your mind and don't do something you've told someone you would do, that's not keeping your commitment
She gave them three good years at a level that's higher than any other player she had (including Skylar).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
doesn't look like anything... as long as they fulfill their commitment

Geno had the greatest 3 point shooter in the history of WCBB getting drafted, whom he has a wonderful relationship with and he wasnt there (prior commitments my foot)... but we expect Muffett to be there smh
Me thinks if a UConn player makes a last minute decision to go pro early some of the same people supporting Loyd and critical of Muffet will find a way to justify support for Geno if he was critical of said player. Not everyone of course but certainly some. Seems to be some carry over dislike for Muffet from past things she's done and a good excuse to pile on.

Jewell made a decision that was important for her. I support this choice. Muffet does not have to like it. The sudden decision to go pro did not allow Muffet to recruit for her absence. Jewell impacted ND negatively in a couple of ways.

For better or worse I expect the lure of overseas money to change the landscape of women's college bb in the future. I won't like it but I expect it to happen. It will happen with younger players, players not restricted by the WNBA rules. And you can bet a lot of the people in this thread who are sympathetic to Jewell will be critical of that happening particularly if an underclassman UConn player suddenly bolts for the pros. They will differentiate the situation because the players are leaving before they are 22. Personally I feel most women are more mature than men at a younger age and don't understand why they don't have the same opportunity as the men and the NBA. But we'll save that debate when the future arrives.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to give them a break. It was a tough decision for Loyd, I'm sure she made the best decision she could given that it was unlikely that she would win a NC or go first in the draft if she stayed another year. I'm not crazy about the last minute decision ( or deception - if she knew ahead of time ), but it must have been a tough call.... and she is young. So, pass for her.

Coach Muffett displayed an honest reaction to being blindsided by someone's behavior. I would not have expected her to drop everything and show up at the draft on such short notice. I feel sure that she had some plans for that timeframe given that she was unaware she had a player in the draft. Other than not being crazy about her demeanor in general, I have to give her a pass. If someone called her today and asked for her to show up at an event in a week or two, I don't expect that she would.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

I know the subject has been discussed to death, though three or more additional threads will sprout about it in the next week or so, but following on Zahui's announcement during the tournament and everyone's knowledge that Loyd was in the same situation and the press would be pushing her about her decision, what did everyone want her to do? Her team is fighting for an NC and doesn't need any distractions, and does anyone actually think that Muffet would have appreciated it if Loyd had told her and the media right before the FFs, "Say coach, I'm thinking strongly of going pro after our last game"? Yeah, right.

Seems like Loyd was just in a no-win situation where she is going to get the blame stones cast at her no matter what she does. Fess up and she gets blamed for upsetting her coach and the team on the eve of the championship games, and if they lose as expected, it's her fault for causing turmoil. If she lies to Muffet, than she's an ungrateful deceiver who probably caused her team to lose in the NC because "her heart wasn't in it anymore." Daunting choices for a young woman, but I'll throw myself in among the small scurvy pack who think she handled the situation about as well as possible.

Yep, ND's team situation and recruiting goals took a hit. So? Comes with the game nowadays, and a coach now needs to be aware with a star player in Loyd's situation that early departure must be factored into the equation along with injuries. Maybe coaches should put extra effort into recruiting players born in the first half of the year. Know it sucks for some fans, but that's been the reality for a while now, and some athletes actually do have the freedom to pursue the options they feel best for themselves. Despite the much ballyhooed "free education and perks" that some fans feel entitles them to think of the athletes as indentured servants who should only be too happy to put in all the thousands of grueling hours with a coach who they might not like that much, that's not always how it works anymore. Maybe finding a good lemon to bite into will help us get through it all.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know the subject has been discussed to death, though three or more additional threads will sprout about it in the next week or so, but following on Zahui's announcement during the tournament and everyone's knowledge that Loyd was in the same situation and the press would be pushing her about her decision, what did everyone want her to do? Her team is fighting for an NC and doesn't need any distractions, and does anyone actually think that Muffet would have appreciated it if Loyd had told her and the media right before the FFs, "Say coach, I'm thinking strongly of going pro after our last game"? Yeah, right.

Seems like Loyd was just in a no-win situation where she is going to get the blame stones cast at her no matter what she does. Fess up and she gets blamed for upsetting her coach and the team on the eve of the championship games, and if they lose as expected, it's her fault for causing turmoil. If she lies to Muffet, than she's an ungrateful deceiver who probably caused her team to lose in the NC because "her heart wasn't in it anymore." Daunting choices for a young woman, but I'll throw myself in among the small scurvy pack who think she handled the situation about as well as possible.

Yep, ND's team situation and recruiting goals took a hit. So? Comes with the game nowadays, and a coach now needs to be aware with a star player in Loyd's situation that early departure must be factored into the equation along with injuries. Maybe coaches should put extra effort into recruiting players born in the first half of the year. Know it sucks for some fans, but that's been the reality for a while now, and some athletes actually do have the freedom to pursue the options they feel best for themselves. Despite the much ballyhooed "free education and perks" that some fans feel entitles them to think of the athletes as indentured servants who should only be too happy to put in all the thousands of grueling hours with a coach who they might not like that much, that's not always how it works anymore. Maybe finding a good lemon to bite into will help us get through it all.
Exactly. There is no universal "appropriate" way of handling difficult decisions. Each of us will factor and act on events based on the perch in the world we are standing on. There will be support and criticism with most actions.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I know the subject has been discussed to death, though three or more additional threads will sprout about it in the next week or so, but following on Zahui's announcement during the tournament and everyone's knowledge that Loyd was in the same situation and the press would be pushing her about her decision, what did everyone want her to do?

Yep, ND's team situation and recruiting goals took a hit.So?

I feel like she could have told McGraw privately and then when questions were asked, she and McGraw could have said "We're not discussing that. Right now, we're just focused on the tournament." That kind of answer would have naturally led to speculation, but the media can only speculate so much without quotes from the relevant parties. I agree that it was a very difficult, and unprecedented, situation, but I feel she could have handled it without deliberately misleading McGraw.

I'm don't think that ND would have recruited any differently if they knew that Loyd was leaving. They'll have 13 players for next year, including 8 guards/wings. There was going to be a serious logjam in terms of playing time if both Cable and Loyd came back.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I feel like she could have told McGraw privately and then when questions were asked, she and McGraw could have said "We're not discussing that. Right now, we're just focused on the tournament." That kind of answer would have naturally led to speculation, but the media can only speculate so much without quotes from the relevant parties. I agree that it was a very difficult, and unprecedented, situation, but I feel she could have handled it without deliberately misleading McGraw.

I'm don't think that ND would have recruited any differently if they knew that Loyd was leaving. They'll have 13 players for next year, including 8 guards/wings. There was going to be a serious logjam in terms of playing time if both Cable and Loyd came back.
Yeah maybe, assuming a player has a special enough relation with the coach that she doesn't think things could get messed up by telling the truth at a very stressful part of the season. After what happened afterward, I'm not entirely sure that kind of relationship was there, but too be fair, it is just not an easy situation. And I think there would certainly be many teams where that special relationship would be less likely to happen. For instance, not sure a Duke player would feel comfortable telling JP that news in the extraordinary event that the Devils were sniffing an FF berth.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
After what happened afterward, I'm not entirely sure that kind of relationship was there, but too be fair, it is just not an easy situation.

Well, Jewell said that McGraw is like another mother to her. But 21-year-olds have been known to deceive their mothers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yep. Jewell shouldn't have said anything about it. Why was it even necessary? The only thing that kind of taints the whole thing.
Nope you owe to your coach to let them know what you're doing. She wants to be an adult and make her own decisions, she needs to act like it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She gave them three good years at a level that's higher than any other player she had (including Skylar).
Nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Reaction Score
I read something on one of the ND boards possibly weighed into her decision. Somebody postulated that her dyslexia may have played a role. The coursework at ND is very rigorous and getting through without a learning disability is challenging; add in a disability that affects reading and writing, and the energy Loyd likely spent on her classwork must have been enormous. Now add in playing D-1 basketball, and perhaps all the demands on both aspects just wore her out; she has vowed to get her degree and she certainly can finish off at her own pace in the off season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah maybe, assuming a player has a special enough relation with the coach that she doesn't think things could get messed up by telling the truth at a very stressful part of the season. After what happened afterward, I'm not entirely sure that kind of relationship was there, but too be fair, it is just not an easy situation. And I think there would certainly be many teams where that special relationship would be less likely to happen. For instance, not sure a Duke player would feel comfortable telling JP that news in the extraordinary event that the Devils were sniffing an FF berth.

dangelo-barksdale.gif

a needless pot shot, but not unexpected

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
View attachment 9290

a needless pot shot, but not unexpected
Absolutely right. Duke shouldn't even be in any conversation, especially ones relating to normal relationships of players with their coach, and Devil fans are understandably highly sensitive while trying to recover from the PTSD effects of the past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom