PHOTOS: Houston may be getting new chrome helmets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PHOTOS: Houston may be getting new chrome helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is old. Goes back to the 1910s, at least. As evidenced by that 1910s UConn baseball jersey auctioned on ebay.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the C is old and Edsall brought it back.
Nope. I don't have time now but google UConn helmet history.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the C is old and Edsall brought it back.

Not exactly a Block C... 1964
Connecticut_OLD11.gif

Current Block C from 2003 forward.

One of the best football websites ever - i can spend hours looking @ it: http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/bigeast.htm

Reaction Score
I can absolutely assure anyone the block "C" goes back to 1924.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yep that's it. 64-65 we had that football shaped one but never the block. To be honest, out of all the ones listed I like the block C the best but there isn't a whole lot of history behind it, except for what Randy built.

We were ahead of the times - they should re-create the 65 helmet where half of the shell was white and the other half navy blue, with the same logo on each side, but with the colors inverted!

CL82

Reaction Score
I can absolutely assure anyone the block "C" goes back to 1924.
Well you may be right, but I'd like to see a picture of it. I don't think it was ever used on a helmet. You know what might be a good place to look - the old yearbooks you once linked. (I think it was you.)

Reaction Score
Well you may be right, but I'd like to see a picture of it. I don't think it was ever used on a helmet. You know what might be a good place to look - the old yearbooks you once linked. (I think it was you.)
They used leather helmets back then.

Reaction Score
I like our default uniforms, but ping to an alternate one is good idea. The players love it, the recruits like it, the fans will talk about it. It's one thing to wear black for a big home game, and then get blown out of the water. But wearing alternative uniforms is really kind of traditional at this point.

Even Notre Dame used the green jerseys sometimes. We aren't Bama, Michigan, or Penn State. Wearing alternate uniforms is no crime against football.

If it's more palatable to the tradition nazis. (I can't believe we even have those). Then lets go with throwbacks.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our current helmet design is one of the best in the country. The dog one above is a cartoon.
and that offends you because no other team in the nation has a "cartoon" logo?
ncaa_logo_sprite.png

Reaction Score
Did he play against Torrington and Lewis Mills?
Since you are continually clueless and whining, I'll help you. UConn started playing only colleges in 1915.

Reaction Score
The 1948 LA Rams were the first team to paint logos on their helmets.

Reaction Score
and that offends you because no other team in the nation has "cartoon" logo?
ncaa_logo_sprite.png

Cartoons are fine if they are tasteful.

We're doing away with that particular husky logo, so I don't think we'll be seeing that helmet unfortunately.

CL82

Reaction Score
They used leather helmets back then.
Yep. So pick any year at all and see if you can find the block C on the helmet. Or I can save you some time and tell you it's not there. It's fine to like the current block C on the helmet but it has nothing to do with Connecticut's tradition. Even the C on the O'Neill's jersey (nice find Huskymedic! Got that from the yearbook?) doesn't resemble the current one. Randy used it and the no names on the jersey thing to emulate Penn St. Like I said, I like it and think is should be used more broadly for other sports, but it has nothing to do with the school's history.

Reaction Score
Yep. So pick any year at all and see if you can find the block C on the helmet. Or I can save you some time and tell you it's not there. It's fine to like the current block C on the helmet but it has nothing to do with Connecticut's tradition. Even the C on the O'Neill's jersey (nice find Huskymedic! Got that from the yearbook?) doesn't resemble the current one. Randy used it and the no names on the jersey thing to emulate Penn St. Like I said, I like it and think is should be used more broadly for other sports, but it has nothing to do with the school's history.
Our first truly successful football team used the block "C" all across the board. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the school's history. Excellent logic.

CL82

Reaction Score
Cartoons are fine if they are tasteful.

We're doing away with that particular husky logo, so I don't think we'll be seeing that helmet unfortunately.
Yep, hopefully the new one will be decent. This thread notwithstanding, I'm not much of 'change' guy so I'm pretty sure I'll dislike it for the first few years. I preferred the old 'more realistic' logo but I am used to this one now.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our first truly successful football team used the block "C" all across the board. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the school's history. Excellent logic.
lol -You are reaching now Butch, but I appreciate that you now concede that this particular history goes back 10 years, an instant in college football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom