Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Reaction Score
Yikes! Washington is on a 6-game losing streak. Year 3 and sitting at 13-12 (3-11 in the conference).

Oregon Ducks. Tough to watch sometimes but I watch no matter what.

Reaction Score
Timea Gardiner is a really fun player to watch. She has so much game on the offensive side. She's been stepping up and scoring at a higher rate and more consistently. She has a pro's game with the way she operates in the low post with her footwork and face up jumpshots. She makes in look so smooth. Excited to watch her and Beers develop! They are some of my favorites to watch. Oregon State is so good, I hope they make some noise in the tournaments.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
9 straight losses by Oregon, they're now dead last in the PAC. Yikes. I can't imagine Van Slooten or Gray will stick around next year unless there's a coaching change.

Reaction Score
Timea Gardiner is a really fun player to watch. She has so much game on the offensive side. She's been stepping up and scoring at a higher rate and more consistently. She has a pro's game with the way she operates in the low post with her footwork and face up jumpshots. She makes in look so smooth. Excited to watch her and Beers develop! They are some of my favorites to watch. Oregon State is so good, I hope they make some noise in the tournaments.
Totally agree re: Gardiner, Beers, and OSU. I have begun watching most their games, and I really enjoy them (except when against Stanford!). I think they can go deep this year, but I think next year I expect them to be potential final four material.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
9 straight losses by Oregon, they're now dead last in the PAC. Yikes. I can't imagine Van Slooten or Gray will stick around next year unless there's a coaching change.

Do either of them play center and are 6'4 and above? Just a random question from a WCBB fan.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gray is a guard. Vanslooten might be 6-3 but I think she's more like a stretch 4 or combo forward than center.

I had forgotten all about her at Oregon. Didn't she start out her freshman year strong and then suffer an injury?

Reaction Score
I think Van Slooten and Gray stay in Oregon but you never know. I think, just from watching over the last 20 years of Oregon basketball, this year, like last year, the Ducks got the talent just the matter of getting that right talent. Coach Graves and his coaching staff just has to do a better job on skill development.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten all about her at Oregon. Didn't she start out her freshman year strong and then suffer an injury?
VanSlooten started and played very well and she suffered an injury.

Reaction Score
I think Van Slooten and Gray stay in Oregon but you never know. I think, just from watching over the last 20 years of Oregon basketball, this year, like last year, the Ducks got the talent just the matter of getting that right talent. Coach Graves and his coaching staff just has to do a better job on skill development.
I can't see them staying unless they Graves is gone. They are too good to be on the worst team in the PAC 12. Maybe they'll transfer closer to home.

Reaction Score
I can't see them staying unless they Graves is gone. They are too good to be on the worst team in the PAC 12. Maybe they'll transfer closer to home.
VanSlooten would be an excellent fit for Ohio State (she’s from Toledo) to replace Mikulasikova should she decide to come back east.

Gray is from Ohio as well, actually. Wonder if they’ll stick together?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
VanSlooten would be an excellent fit for Ohio State (she’s from Toledo) to replace Mikulasikova should she decide to come back east.

Gray is from Ohio as well, actually. Wonder if they’ll stick together?

Perhaps VanSlooten would transfer to the school that her older sister played for. :cool: They desperately need players with size.

Olivia_VSloot.jpg

Reaction Score

Wow. Addition by subtraction? To whom is she directing shade? Nnaji? Gilbert? Who’s to blame for the awful hotels and the mixed up food orders? Can’t imagine the respective home teams have any responsibility for that. U of A Athletic Dept administration perhaps? The same AD that must be under pressure to reduce costs because the entire university recently discovered a major budget shortfall? Complaining about foul calls? That’s a Bay Area problem? Whining not a good look Adia. Good luck in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Wow. Addition by subtraction? To whom is she directing shade? Nnaji? Gilbert? Who’s to blame for the awful hotels and the mixed up food orders? Can’t imagine the respective home teams have any responsibility for that. U of A Athletic Dept administration perhaps? The same AD that must be under pressure to reduce costs because the entire university recently discovered a major budget shortfall? Complaining about foul calls? That’s a Bay Area problem? Whining not a good look Adia. Good luck in the Big 12.

1) Addition by subtraction can apply to a lot of things, not just players. She speaks of simplifying things for the team and it's working for them offensively and defensively. Sometimes players don't grasp certain concepts coaches try to introduce and when things are simpler, they execute better.

2) Shade is based on how you perceive her words. I didn't take it that way as per my comments in point one.

3) It's not a Bay area problem. That part doesn't make any sense. However, coaches complain about calls all the time. How is this a bad look for Coach Barnes when this is done by everyone?

Reaction Score
1) Addition by subtraction can apply to a lot of things, not just players. She speaks of simplifying things for the team and it's working for them offensively and defensively. Sometimes players don't grasp certain concepts coaches try to introduce and when things are simpler, they execute better.

2) Shade is based on how you perceive her words. I didn't take it that way as per my comments in point one.

3) It's not a Bay area problem. That part doesn't make any sense. However, coaches complain about calls all the time. How is this a bad look for Coach Barnes when this is done by everyone?
The one statement "tough foul calls" is nothing compared to what Walz did, but he got Louisville a $20,000 fine. What she said might get a 2¢ fine. That was nothing.

Reaction Score

1. Point taken. Arizona had to simplify with the shorter roster that resulted from both injuries and unexpected departures and perhaps she didn’t direct any criticism towards any players.

2. You didn’t perceive Adia’s comments as shade. I may be incorrect but I obviously did.

3. Sorry Adia openly states she happy she doesn’t have to play in the Bay Area again because of unpleasant things that happened on the trip. She opens with bad food and bad hotels and moves on to the refs. Yes coaches complain about calls all the time but they conveniently forget about missed calls that went their way. I’ve never heard of a coach complain about accommodations and seemingly attribute it to the road location. On top of that they won both games In spite of all the bad stuff. Congrats to the shorthanded team for coming together.

I enjoy watching Adia’s press conferences. I find her comments direct, well reasoned and she avoids platitudes. I haven’t seen the media session the SBNation writer reported on and perhaps he/she slanted or overemphasized Adia’s comments. Nevertheless Adia’s comments, as reported, are whining in my book.

Reaction Score
1. Point taken. Arizona had to simplify with the shorter roster that resulted from both injuries and unexpected departures and perhaps she didn’t direct any criticism towards any players.

2. You didn’t perceive Adia’s comments as shade. I may be incorrect but I obviously did.

3. Sorry Adia openly states she happy she doesn’t have to play in the Bay Area again because of unpleasant things that happened on the trip. She opens with bad food and bad hotels and moves on to the refs. Yes coaches complain about calls all the time but they conveniently forget about missed calls that went their way. I’ve never heard of a coach complain about accommodations and seemingly attribute it to the road location. On top of that they won both games In spite of all the bad stuff. Congrats to the shorthanded team for coming together.

I enjoy watching Adia’s press conferences. I find her comments direct, well reasoned and she avoids platitudes. I haven’t seen the media session the SBNation writer reported on and perhaps he/she slanted or overemphasized Adia’s comments. Nevertheless Adia’s comments, as reported, are whining in my book.

My response focused on your comment with respect to fouls and the Bay area comment. I took the section I put in bold to mean that you questioned whether she believed the calls made against them only happened when in the Bay area.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Adia is blunt. The exact quote about bad fouls (said by Adia) I can't find. She specifically complained about specific fouls in full detail if you read the article. She is probably totally correct.

I have said that - in the PAC - you can pretty much mug away inside without a foul, but if you touch an arm - foul. It isn't particular to Arizona, it is just the way fouls are called, so depending on matchups it can favor or disfavor a team. It apparently went against us in the game where she is complaining, but has worked out both ways in various games this season.

No wonder Esmery is getting testy. When we were at USC a couple weeks ago and she got injured and had to be helped off the court direct to the locker room, it appeared to be a blow to the mid-section and the next day she had back-spasms that caused her to miss one game. As happened apparently this weekend, she was called for the foul in the one we saw.

Reaction Score
Adia is blunt. The exact quote about bad fouls (said by Adia) I can't find. She specifically complained about specific fouls in full detail if you read the article. She is probably totally correct.

I have said that - in the PAC - you can pretty much mug away inside without a foul, but if you touch an arm - foul. It isn't particular to Arizona, it is just the way fouls are called, so depending on matchups it can favor or disfavor a team. It apparently went against us in the game where she is complaining, but has worked out both ways in various games this season.

No wonder Esmery is getting testy. When we were at USC a couple weeks ago and she got injured and had to be helped off the court direct to the locker room, it appeared to be a blow to the mid-section and the next day she had back-spasms that caused her to miss one game. As happened apparently this weekend, she was called for the foul in the one we saw.
The example she used was elbows that Saurez hit Martinez with during the game per the article.

Reaction Score
Wasn't able to keep my eyes open for the Colorado-UCLA game (the weekend is catching up with me). Looking at the box score has me scratching my head however. Has Colorado run out of gas or was UCLA that frustrating on defence? And how is it that Betts only had 4 shot attempts? Hopefully I can find the game on YouTube and piece the puzzle together.

Reaction Score
Wasn't able to keep my eyes open for the Colorado-UCLA game (the weekend is catching up with me). Looking at the box score has me scratching my head however. Has Colorado run out of gas or was UCLA that frustrating on defence? And how is it that Betts only had 4 shot attempts? Hopefully I can find the game on YouTube and piece the puzzle together.

I watched the first half, Colorado couldn't hit the back side of the barn. It had nothing to do with UCLAs defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom