Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As I was watching some of the men's conference tournaments today, I'm just in awe of the yawning discrepancy between the men's and women's sides of the Pac-12.

The women's Pac-12 is going out with an epic encore worthy of a Springsteen concert. The men's Pac-12 is like a sad hotel bar at closing time, with early-80s carpeting and a few drunk stragglers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As I was watching some of the men's conference tournaments today, I'm just in awe of the yawning discrepancy between the men's and women's sides of the Pac-12.

The women's Pac-12 is going out with an epic encore worthy of a Springsteen concert. The men's Pac-12 is like a sad hotel bar at closing time, with early-80s carpeting and a few drunk stragglers.
Not surprising though, that's mostly how it's been for a number of years.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Amen. And note that until really recently, the men's game is where all the money was made. Probably not coincidental that the period where the Pac-12 leadership could not secure a new lucrative TV rights agreement was the same era both our football and MBB leagues have been at close to a 30-year nadir...

And for real: while I mourn the loss of our Pac-12 WBB rivalries, I'm genuinely looking forward to ACC MBB, because it will be so much better than the dog turd that's been the Pac-12...

Reaction Score
Starting this afternoon, it is "BACK THE PAC"! Go Arizona, take down Auburn.

Soon we'll know (show) how the PAC-12 WBB Conference measures up against the field in 2023-24 season.

GO BEAVS!
Maybe the arrogance is one reason there is no more Pac? Support is fine but this takes it too far for me.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Back the PAC!
Why, every team except Oregon State decided that the "PAC" wasn't good enough, so as far as I'm concerned there is only one school that is part of the PAC.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pretty ugly game, but Oregon St. survives and advances. I've watched Nebraska several times, they have a potent offense. Beavs held them to 51, and almost half of that was in Q4. Totally stymied Shelley, Markowski and Potts. Beers sat the whole 4th quarter w/ foul trouble, just never brought her back in. Great game for Gardiner, swatting everything and shutting down the interior. Von Oelhoffen had some bone headed passes but hit some big buckets too.

Reaction Score
Arizona with a game effort that came up a bit short against Syracuse, but otherwise Pac looking pretty good so far.
Tough to judge top 3 seeds until they’ve played two games. Occasionally see someone so dominant that it raises eyebrows, but Game 1 is mostly about not screwing up.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen Oregon State yet this year. What’s the hometown view of them vs Notre Dame and beyond?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen Oregon State yet this year. What’s the hometown view of them vs Notre Dame and beyond?
Have to play better than today if they want to advance. I don't think ND is better than some of the Pac 12 teams they've gone toe to toe with multiple games, so they shouldn't be unprepared. Hidalgo will be something different, but they've frustrated Juju into really poor shooting performances twice. We'll see. Would be better to not have Beers pick up her 4th foul in the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
Pretty ugly game, but Oregon St. survives and advances. I've watched Nebraska several times, they have a potent offense. Beavs held them to 51, and almost half of that was in Q4. Totally stymied Shelley, Markowski and Potts. Beers sat the whole 4th quarter w/ foul trouble, just never brought her back in. Great game for Gardiner, swatting everything and shutting down the interior. Von Oelhoffen had some bone headed passes but hit some big buckets too.
Ugly is OSU being held under 10 in 2 quarters and still winning?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ugly is OSU being held under 10 in 2 quarters and still winning?
Well that can happen when you have a 10 minute scoring drought spanning 2 quarters. The fact that Nebraska didn't catch up to them during that streak says something about their defense.

Reaction Score
Pac 12 women showing up today!!!
Colorado, Oregon State, and Stanford all in the Sweet Sixteen.
UCLA, USC tomorrow on home court. Is Betts playing?
Utah with a tougher assignment at Gonzaga. 3 point shooting shoot out in that one.
Can the Pac advance 6 in their last hurrah?

Reaction Score
Have to play better than today if they want to advance. I don't think ND is better than some of the Pac 12 teams they've gone toe to toe with multiple games, so they shouldn't be unprepared. Hidalgo will be something different, but they've frustrated Juju into really poor shooting performances twice. We'll see. Would be better to not have Beers pick up her 4th foul in the 3rd quarter.
ND hasn't won yet

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ND hasn't won yet
Yes, this is all based on a presumption. Ole Miss surprised Gonzaga and Stanford in the Tourney last year. I'm not sure how they compare to last year's team honestly.

Reaction Score
Pac 12 women showing up today!!!
Colorado, Oregon State, and Stanford all in the Sweet Sixteen.
UCLA, USC tomorrow on home court. Is Betts playing?
Utah with a tougher assignment at Gonzaga. 3 point shooting shoot out in that one.
Can the Pac advance 6 in their last hurrah?
Looking forward to this one. Three point shooting for sure, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how the game goes inside the paint. Ejim has had an amazing season this year. And their other post player (name escapes me) has been very steady as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking forward to this one. Three point shooting for sure, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how the game goes inside the paint. Ejim has had an amazing season this year. And their other post player (name escapes me) has been very steady as well.
Hollingsworth.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I remember some people stating that the PAC-12 weak compared to the SEC. I believe that they were very misinformed or biased, one of the two. Both the SEC and the PAC-12 had 7 teams go to the dance, the Sweet Sixteen has 5 teams from the PAC-12 vs 2 teams from the SEC. Sorry to see this, but it's money and football that caused it to happen.

Reaction Score
I remember some people stating that the PAC-12 weak compared to the SEC. I believe that they were very misinformed or biased, one of the two. Both the SEC and the PAC-12 had 7 teams go to the dance, the Sweet Sixteen has 5 teams from the PAC-12 vs 2 teams from the SEC. Sorry to see this, but it's money and football that caused it to happen.
Funny. I don’t remember. Anybody making that argument other than as to the top 2 teams. Okay, maybe vol fans did

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom