OT: your favorite summer song | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: your favorite summer song

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Renaissance's gorgeous "Trip to the Fair" reminds me of soft summer days when I used to hear it on the FM dial:

Oooooh, another Renaissance fan. I saw them in concert when I was in college. ABout 50 of us stood outside the theater when they were practicing just to hear Annie Haslam's soaring voice. So glorious.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oooooh, another Renaissance fan. I saw them in concert when I was in college. ABout 50 of us stood outside the theater when they were practicing just to hear Annie Haslam's soaring voice. So glorious.
Those were the days when the bands you loved understood that the fans were the backbone of their music. It made them humble and accessible. The days when bands would just pop up and play locally, talk to you personally, and play nearly all night. Days long gone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But the winner is....Beach Baby by First Class. Beat-up sneakers and a ponytail (coming out of a baseball cap) does it for me.

Reaction Score

Sweet memory Nan, thanks for sharing :)

Here's another from that era, maybe I'm stretching things a bit to call it a "summer song", but just had to share it, as to me it's equally haunting as Renaissance's "Trip to the Fair"

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thanks man, but it all now seems just luck and serendipity. I was born in Brooklyn just a short distance from the old Paramount theater where some of the first R & R shows in the world were showcased. Because of R & R's origins I would hear vocal groups practicing on the street corners, in the subways and in the apartment hallways. Alan Freed was the man responsible for the Paramount shows then. I was only 3 or 4, but my sisters were 10 years older than I and would drag me along to babysit (secretly of course). A few years later the shows were taken over by Murray the K and his shows were mainly early Motown Revues with added acts. I saw almost every Motown act at least once, some 4 and 5 times. The Temps, Smokey, Marvin, The Supremes. Also others like Dusty, Tom Jones, Dionne Warwick, The Four Seasons, The Rascals. I could just hop on the bus across from my house which left me off across the street from the theater. Honestly, by the time I was 12 I'd seen 100 live acts. Luck and serendipity. And yes, I was raised on Rock and Roll.

While your toddler self was boogieing to new sounds, this 16 year old and his buddies bused over from Jersey were there, trying not to trip over you.
The Brooklyn Fox and the NYParamount also saw Alan Freed...and us, clapping and shouting to Bo Diddly, Fats Domino, Everlys,
Joann Campbell, Mickey and Sylvia, Cleftones, Drifters, Chuck Berry and (brace yourself) Screamin' Jay Hawkins.
Vivid memories still.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While your toddler self was boogieing to new sounds, this 16 year old and his buddies bused over from Jersey were there, trying not to trip over you.
The Brooklyn Fox and the NYParamount also saw Alan Freed...and us, clapping and shouting to Bo Diddly, Fats Domino, Everlys,
Joann Campbell, Mickey and Sylvia, Cleftones, Drifters, Chuck Berry and (brace yourself) Screamin' Jay Hawkins.
Vivid memories still.
Sweet.
Unfortunately I only remember most vividly the shows once they were taken over by Clay Cole and Murray the K. However living in Brooklyn so close to Fort Greene my young self knew those who knew people like Little Anthony and the Jive Five. Once they played the Fox I of course got to see The Drifters (twice), Ben E. King (once with, once without), Screamin' Jay, Chuck (far later during "My Ding-a-Ling"), and Mickey and Sylvia.

The Cleftones huh? So nice. Some people want to believe that R & R began with Presley. It didn't. Some people want to believe it began with Chuck. It didn't. Some want to believe it began with The Beatles. It didn't. R & R began with vocalist's like Big Joe Turner and groups like The Cleftones and The Moonglows. It began as a dance music for the young, and it began with people like you diggin' it.

Reaction Score
I believe it was the summer of '62 when this one was on the airwaves a lot - and it was one of those tunes that really made me turn the volume UP...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom