OT: your favorite summer song | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: your favorite summer song

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I was a real fan of these guys. I saw them three times before Duane died, once after. I turned down Derek and the Domino's at the Fillmore for lack of funds. One of my biggest regrets.
I'll date myself and admit that I wore out at least two 8-track tapes of Eat A Peach. Same thing with Steppenwolf and Hendrix :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll date myself and admit that I wore out at least two 8-track tapes of Eat A Peach. Same thing with Steppenwolf and Hendrix :)
I'll continue to date myself and say I saw Steppenwolf twice, and Jimi 4 times. Not enough times of Jimi for my liking. He was one amazing son of a gun. I never saw Charlie (The Devil Came Down To Georgia was a rip-um-up). But yeah, Elvin twice before "I Fooled Around And Fell In Love", Marshall Tucker once, Poco once, And Delbert at least once with band and once I think with Delaney and Bonnie or someone else. I was a concert goer man. I virtually lived at the Fillmore. Like I said, I didn't see Derek and the Dominoes, but I was at the Garden when Blindfaith played there. My only Clapton viewing. If you youtube The Allman Brothers at the Fillmore doing "Don't Keep Me Wonderin", I remember that concert and that opening very well.

Reaction Score
This one really says summer to me - summer of '67 to be exact. It was a monster of a song, and Bobbie Gentry delivered a terrific live performance of it on the Andy Williams show:

Reaction Score
Tragic! Never saw the Allmans at the Fillmore East, but saw several country rock shows there in the late 70's; Charlie Daniels, The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Elvin Bishop, Poco, Delbert McClinton...

I was privileged to see the the Allman Brothers at Bill Graham's Fillmore East in March of 71. It didn't last long after that, closing a few months later in 71.
There's a bank there now.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I was privileged to see the the Allman Brothers at Bill Graham's Fillmore East in March of 71. It didn't last long after that, closing a few months later in 71.
Yeah. The Johnny Winter And show with Rick Derringer. I was there too. I was also at the last show with J. Geils where there was either a bomb scare or a fire scare and they emptied the auditorium. We were standing outside and Betts and Duane walked past. Think I miss that stuff?

Reaction Score
Short Shorts was written by Bob Gaudio who went on to sing and write for The 4 Seasons
I went to high school with Gaudio. He dropped out after Short Shorts became a hit. He was a nice guy, kind of quiet and a talented musician. Several years ago part of our high school reunion included seeing Jersey Boys on Broadway. Bob, who was involved in producing the play, attended to meet his old classmates.

As Intpseeker mentioned, Gaudio was one of the Four Seasons, but that was just the tip of his iceberg. He wrote or produced for Michael Jackson, Roberta Flack, Barry Manalow, Neil Diamond and others.

Reaction Score
Short Shorts was written by Bob Gaudio who went on to sing and write for The 4 Seasons
I went to high school with Gaudio. He dropped out after Short Shorts became a hit. He was a nice guy, kind of quiet and a talented musician. Several years ago part of our high school reunion included seeing Jersey Boys on Broadway. Bob, who was involved in producing the play, attended to meet with his old classmates.

As Intpseeker mentioned, Gaudio was one of the Four Seasons, but that was just the tip of his iceberg. He wrote or produced for Michael Jackson, Roberta Flack, Barry Manalow, Neil Diamond and others.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Thank you for helping to revive some old brain cells...my "late 70's" shows were at the Orpheum! :confused:

JordyG

Reaction Score

Get your Steely tickets now...Beacon Theatre in October!

Yippee! I don't venture out to see much rock, but I'm thinking on it. They were one of the few great bands I saw for free. 10 feet away, not more than 30 people watching, 40 years ago. Sublime.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I went to high school with Gaudio. He dropped out after Short Shorts became a hit. He was a nice guy, kind of quiet and a talented musician. Several years ago part of our high school reunion included seeing Jersey Boys on Broadway. Bob, who was involved in producing the play, attended to meet his old classmates.

Funny, I was also a schoolmate--of Billy Crandell, who played sax on the recording, but his parents wouldn't permit the 16 year old to travel and miss school.

Reaction Score
But these was their two big summertime hits:

Have never cared about "hits", only the quality of the music itself. Summertime in Colorado listening to KTCL was all about great deep album cuts, of which Steely Dan had many.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Have never cared about "hits", only the quality of the music itself. Summertime in Colorado listening to KTCL was all about great deep album cuts, of which Steely Dan had many.
Fair enough. I understand and more, I appreciate that POV. Music is personal and however it moves you is its only point of relevance. Mine has always been different. Growing up in the middle of R & R's beginnings left me with the view that large masses of approval is a rare and significant phenomenon. That shared experience moves me (and others) on a primal, limbic brain level. A big hit for a band or writer is a bellwether moment for the creative artist. For one, as Lionel Ritchie once told Ne-Yo, all you need is 3 or 4 hit records and you're set for life. Secondly, it is the goal of most music artists to connect with as many people as possible. As a performer there is no better feeling than a full hall with everybody groovin' to you.

But on a deeper level I think I have an odd, maybe singular viewpoint. That is to say superstardom is a rare event. Rarer than any jewel, rarer than gold, rarer than genius. Again, a rare and significant phenomenon. I can count on maybe two hands the number of real superstars of music from the last century. I'm a big jazz and classical music fan now; and yeah, I sometimes laugh at the popularity of Katie Perry and Rihanna because I don't really understand it. But I recognize it for what it is, a talent that cannot be taught or learned. It seems innate, can only be cultivated, and I sometimes marvel at its affect on our culture. Okay I'm rambling. I'll stop.

Reaction Score

I too was a concert-goer. Dylan at the Bushnell was my first big one. Multiple shows featuring Jimmi, Janis, Doors, The Who, Santana, The Turtles (remember them), Jefferson Airplane, Guess Who, Butterfield Blues Band, to name a few, and Cream's last US show in Providence. They threw cream pies at each other.

I was blown away by good musicianship, and Ginger Baker was simply a beast with his huge drum kit. Powerful, in complete control, driving the music where it needed to go, especially when he rolled his double base drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom