Knucklehead
Reaction Score
'02 grad

Computer tossing from the Fairfield 3rd in the jungle
Wiffle ball in the quad
Fan in the window with carburation / spoofs
Doing the wobble walk down the trail
Busting my ass down the hill after Huskies
Hunting Lodge fire (my apartment - completely toast)
Carraige House spring weekend mud fest
Breffast at KJ's
Hangover puking at graduation

Reaction Score
The North Goal at M0rrone Stadium - I am an original member 1975-1987- having Coach Marrone come over before the Penn State game in 1982 and thanking us for our spirit but to please watch the "salty language"
The great original chants and songs that made the current Goal Brigade efforts lame
The soccer games vs Alabama A&M juju!!!!
The cookouts in the field behind the ice rink before every SOCCER SUNDAY game
The Quarter final match vs Columbia in the sleet
BBall games in the old fieldhouse - getting high with TH before one game vs New Hampshire
March Indoor soccer tournaments in the old fieldhouse and the matches vs LIU- between game trips to Teds
Partying with E Myron, M Addington and other members of those great UCONN soccer teams
Remember the older guy who tried to infaltrate the North Goal Gang around 84 or so? For 10 minutes or so we'd chant with him "winning team.. winning team!! ... Losing Team losing team..." Then it was back to yelling at the opposing goaltender and his relations with goats.

Reaction Score
Next month marks my 25th anniversary of graduating from UConn. I still remember many things about the school and campus. It was a great place to be in the 80's. Please chime in with a few memories of places, events etc. if you attended UConn. Here are a few that come to mind:

Ted's: Beer only
The Jungle
Home games at the field house with leaky roof
Nickel nights at Thumpers
Stevie Ray Vaughn playing spring weekend
Ramblin' Rich and his harmonica
Cheesy dorm semi formals
Winning the NIT at MSG in 88
Cow tipping
Add/drop in the ROTC hangar
Rocky Horror picture show

My 25th too! 88'

I will have to go over this thread more carefully later but I spent a ton of time at Hooligans too (as well as Teds), mastered dart playing, Also, the Fairfield Dorm Apartment had some of the better parties in years to rival Carrige House, Walden Apartments (ok maybe not quite).

Reaction Score
2001-2005. Though I am a bit older and actually had friends at UConn in 1999, so I was on campus... a lot.

-First national title and the impromptu parties/riots afterwards. I think I chanted "we're no. 1" for about two straight hours. Also the only time I ever hugged my male friends
-South opening up and suddenly it was the only place anybody would eat from West, Hilltop, even McMahon
-"The Rape Trail"... how long has it been called that?
-Civic Pub and nonstop "Livin on a Prayer"
-The last few years they let us have bonfires in X-Lot... and people whipping bottles over it :-\
-Smoking j's on the top of Memorial Field stands late night
-Schmedley's (my friends rented out the place across from it so we pretty much lived there) in Eagleville
-Making shockingly good friends with the people from West (Shakespeare/Troy) the one year I lived on campus
-So many parties at Walden
-Pepper spray flying at Celeron and laughing because everybody was coughing and my nonstop cigarette smoking had essentially made me "immune" to lung irritation (in retrospect solidly stupid)
-Late night DP Dough... man I miss that place sometimes
-Buyin' cigarettes at Store Two-Four (we the kids called it)
-Almost starting riots at the Daily Campus due to some.. inflammatory articles I wrote while trying to quit smoking, heh.

Of course, I grew up right near UConn so I remember the '96 "riots" of Spring Weekend and I was there for the first Women's title in '95 (I think?), etc. To me, Bidwell can never be about rocks n' wings cause it is always about bein' a townie bar.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My 25th too! 88'

I will have to go over this thread more carefully later but I spent a ton of time at Hooligans too (as well as Teds), mastered dart playing, Also, the Fairfield Dorm Apartment had some of the better parties in years to rival Carrige House, Walden Apartments (ok maybe not quite).

All hail the class of '88! Seems there are a few of us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Remember the older guy who tried to infaltrate the North Goal Gang around 84 or so? For 10 minutes or so we'd chant with him "winning team.. winning team!! ... Losing Team losing team..." Then it was back to yelling at the opposing goaltender and his relations with goats.

My favorite North Goal Gang memory was the final home game agaisnt the very strong Seton Hall teams. They had two Irish guys who were awesome (can't recall their names). We had harassed them for years and they taunted the NGG back. At the end of the last game, we gave them a standing O, and they came over to the north fence shook hands etc. One of them told us playing at UConn was the best experience of their college careers, and reminded them a little of playing at home in Ireland.

Reaction Score
My favorite North Goal Gang memory was the final home game agaisnt the very strong Seton Hall teams. They had two Irish guys who were awesome (can't recall their names). We had harassed them for years and they taunted the NGG back. At the end of the last game, we gave them a standing O, and they came over to the north fence shook hands etc. One of them told us playing at UConn was the best experience of their college careers, and reminded them a little of playing at home in Ireland.
Ditto for lots of time at Hooligans. I graduated 87 and on last day of finals arrived at Hooligans already well lubricated. Buddy & I saw the chalkboard saying $0.99 'really disgusting tequila' and said why not. We downed the shots, looked at each other then calmly both walked outside and gave it back.

My favorite North Goal memory was the Syracuse goalie that had the opposite reaction to the Irish guys. He was very good, maybe all conference but had a couple of nightmare games at UConn. Gave up 5 goals one time I think (checked, 84 BE semis). We were in his head. 86 was his senior year and Syracuse won the BE championship in Storrs and he put up a shutout, Syracuse won 1-0. The minute the horn sounded, rather than run and celebrate with his teammates he turned around & gave us a vigorous double-bird salute. Moral victory.
U G L Y
you ain't got no alibi
you're ugly
you're ugly
you're ugly
M A M A
how you think you got that way
Your MAMA
Your MAMA
Your MAMA
P A P A

hmm, I'll stop there

Reaction Score
Hooligan's was a good off campus spot as was the Bidwell. Kathy John's had some interesting menu items.

I spent countless hours on the basketball courts behind the jungle and next to Alumni quad. Playboy came and took photos of three girls washing a car behind the SIG Ep house for an early 1988 issue. always had pretty good acts come to Jorgensen. Red Auerbach came and spoke, that was great.

Reaction Score
I also remember the Ted's jukebox 25 years ago: Young Americans; 50 ways to leave your lover, Lola, among many other awesome tunes cranking after too many Guinesses and/or black and tans

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I lived on the 3rd floor of Litchfield 96-99. From what I remember, the janitors hated you guys, the RA's hated you guys and most of the rest of the building did too. And I am being completely serious.
I hated us guys too - well some of the dudes there - by my junior year. I moved to Alumni senior year fall '97, probably should have done it a year sooner. Ah well - hindsight.

Reaction Score
Also not a alum but had a girlfriend.....spring weekend 78 or so...somewhat foggy on the exact year...Tower of Power played.

End of the world party at Stowe...black tee shirts and burning sofas in the quad.

Ted's

Reaction Score
Oh hell yeah. If you remember the End of the World party, then you were probably also around for the following:
- sewage leaks that closed some of Stowe's kitchens - discovered after feces had been leaking into the kitchen for days/weeks
- Stowe's finest sitting in the quad with Olympic scorecards rating all female passersby
- rooftop diving into drifts during the President's Day snowstorm - at least one injury from Crandall A by someone who forgot there was a bike rack under there
- during said blizzard, my car was plowed under and I was not able to access it until mid-March. However, the trusty 350 v-8 in my 1971 Pontiac T-37 turned over immediately!
- The Stowe C Funnelator, capable of hitting a duck in the middle of Mirror Lake
- theft of the giant stone campus entrance sign on 195
- the seemingly endless cycle of James Montgomery/J. Giels/James Cotton/Jonathan Edwards at Shaboo. I don't recall Springsteen playing (he canceled two shows at Shaboo in '73) but we got plenty of Beaver Brown.
- one of the more amazing Jorgensen billings of all-time, Jean Luc-Ponty opening for The Kinks
- sad copycat toga parties all over after the release of Animal House

Agree that bringing kegs to the soccer field was huge. We were "America's Team" and hooted at San Francisco, St. Louis, Hartwick, Columba and other teams when their foreign-named starters were announced. Joe Morrone was the Jim Calhoun of that era.

They never solved that problem. There were still occasional shutdowns of the bathrooms and/or kitchens when I was there ('88-'91). Demolishing the dorms and rebuilding them was probably the only way the university could permanently address the issue.

Also - The many uses of Stowe Beach: Good weather - wiffle ball. Great weather - tanning. Torrential downpour - mud slides.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
winning winning team losing losing team winning team losing team - oh yeah
The NGG (North Goal Gang) called him winning team - he always either wore a scottish cap or an earfllapped knit cap
He would occasionally party with us in the field- he especially liked some liquor this guy we called "homebrew" would bring that he made at home.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ditto for lots of time at Hooligans. I graduated 87 and on last day of finals arrived at Hooligans already well lubricated. Buddy & I saw the chalkboard saying $0.99 'really disgusting tequila' and said why not. We downed the shots, looked at each other then calmly both walked outside and gave it back.

My favorite North Goal memory was the Syracuse goalie that had the opposite reaction to the Irish guys. He was very good, maybe all conference but had a couple of nightmare games at UConn. Gave up 5 goals one time I think (checked, 84 BE semis). We were in his head. 86 was his senior year and Syracuse won the BE championship in Storrs and he put up a shutout, Syracuse won 1-0. The minute the horn sounded, rather than run and celebrate with his teammates he turned around & gave us a vigorous double-bird salute. Moral victory.
U G L Y
you ain't got no alibi
you're ugly
you're ugly
you're ugly
M A M A
how you think you got that way
Your MAMA
Your MAMA
Your MAMA
P A P A

hmm, I'll stop there

How about the BC goalie named Gordie who used to go along with the chants and talk to the Noth Goal people. I remeber him taking a hard shot in the face and I think it loosen some teeth and we were asking him if wanted some crisp apples, etc. He would make believe he was chomping on apples and eating corn on the cob - he was a cool guy

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I forgot to mention another couple of memories: Carl at Ted's, Precious at Huskies and Kap at Thirsty Dog.

Reaction Score
I also remember the Ted's jukebox 25 years ago: Young Americans; 50 ways to leave your lover, Lola, among many other awesome tunes cranking after too many Guinesses and/or black and tans

Ted's jukebox was great. I remember lots of Van Morrison and Bob Marley combined with many cheap pitchers of beer...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I helped to park cars for home games at the field house and then got to see the second half of games for free.
1981-1985... So not there for the JC years. I was an engineering major then, so not a lot of time available for partying.
Best memories were volunteering with the Eagleville FD as a level one firefighter and EMT...experience eventually led me into medicine.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Campus Restaurant, downstairs in the strip mall across from Fine Arts, was the place that attracted hippie types. First place I ever saw a female smoking a cigar and a dog running around in a restaurant. But the most convenient place if your last class at the end of the day was at South Campus. They were all greasy spoons.

I stopped going there after eating a breakfast while the dog was tied to the bus cart and was licking all the dirty dishes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I stopped going there after eating a breakfast while the dog was tied to the bus cart and was licking all the dirty dishes.

Memories are made of this. And it wasn't even a Husky.

Reaction Score
The every evening call of "grinder man's here"

Late night, not so sober, sledding of the (old) library hill on cafeteria trays swiped from the Jungle dining hall

Johnny Carson on the tele every night at Lou's

Attendance spiking for a final exam @ von der Medhen, including two never seen before basketball team starters (hard to miss since they were both 6' 7")

Shirts/No Shirts games in Guyer Gym

Reaction Score
The every evening call of "grinder man's here"

Late night, not so sober, sledding of the (old) library hill on cafeteria trays swiped from the Jungle dining hall

Johnny Carson on the tele every night at Lou's

Attendance spiking for a final exam @ von der Medhen, including two never seen before basketball team starters (hard to miss since they were both 6' 7")

Pick-up games in Guyer Gym

"Ham, tuna and salami grinders in the lounge......"

etched in whats left of my grey matter ;)

Husky 1972, Remember Bluto?

Reaction Score
Wilson Picket was 70-71 school year and I was there too. Interestingly a high school classmate of mine was producing thw Wicked Picket's records when he died a few years ago.

Thanks for helping straighten my personal "space time continuum." Not surprised I messed up the dates as they were pretty crazy times. Guess not unlike the present just different.

Reaction Score
Has anybody mentioned or does anybody remember the Anonymous Pub at the old Student Union? I worked there pouring and drinking beer my senior year (1976-77) and giving freebies to the cheerleaders. My dorm, Crandall (B) was one of the first co-ed dorms in 1975-76. Also, Steve Martin at Jorgensen in Spring, 1977. Man do I miss those days.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
93-98.

James Mapes. Hypnotist
... Every time I see someone bite a lemon, I pass out for 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors